Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Plunder Card Power Levels First Impressions  (Read 3253 times)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: Plunder Card Power Levels First Impressions
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2023, 11:48:45 am »
+2

Okay, but what Frigate actually does is limit how many cards you can bring to your buy phase.  Crucible plus a card to be trashed requires two cards.  Same with Pickaxe (although it can gain Loot to hand).  Against Frigate, it's better to have trashing that you play during your action phase, not your buy phase.

My impression so far is that against Frigate, you generally want draw so that you can reliably play Frigate.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 12:05:55 pm »

Not really. An kind of draw engine is hardly shut down by Frigate. Sure, you get some sifting but usually it is not worth it (e.g Lab degenerates into something that is worse than Warehouse). So money becomes better and what better card for money than Pickaxe?

Of course it is more complex, you can try to go for a draw engine and check whether the opponent counters with Frigate. You can also still roll with it if he cannot play his Frigates consistently. But if he can, you want some Loot gaining and focus on going big instead of long.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 12:17:02 pm by segura »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 12:52:00 am »
+1

I didn't get around to voting, but it's interesting how weak people are ranking Fortune Hunter.

It's very often at least a Terminal Gold and it has a few other tricks up its sleeve. It's also likely to come up in people's experiences in "extra plunder" games, giving it more Treasures to interact with. That's setting it up to be seen as very strong, and I thought Terminal Gold was already considered too good for $4. So it's very interesting that even in first impressions something similar to it in power isn't really impressing anybody.

I wonder how strong a Terminal Gold actually is.
I think it is a simple matter. LastFootnote has argued that Adventurer is a $2, i.e. digging for Treasure is not better than drawing. So Fortune Hunter is similar to +2 Coins, +1 Card which is weaker than Smithy. Smithy is a strong $4, so Fortune Hunter is a weak $4.

That sounds like something I would say, but Fortune Hunter is different from Adventurer in a lot of important ways. Adventurer's base value is +$2, and you have to work pretty hard to make it reliably better. Fortune Hunter's base value is +$3. It can whiff more easily than Adventurer, but it's still not likely to in the kind of deck where you want it. But perhaps equally important, Fortune Hunter puts the other cards back instead of discarding them. So it's effectively pulling a Copper out of your next hand (or next draw if you didn't play it at the end of your Action phase). That's usually a pretty nice side benefit. Also, Fortune Hunter sometimes lets you choose between different Treasures, and you can smooth out your money a bit that way. You can even opt not to play any of the Treasures! With Adventurer you're stuck with whatever you get.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2023, 05:47:09 am »

I didn't get around to voting, but it's interesting how weak people are ranking Fortune Hunter.

It's very often at least a Terminal Gold and it has a few other tricks up its sleeve. It's also likely to come up in people's experiences in "extra plunder" games, giving it more Treasures to interact with. That's setting it up to be seen as very strong, and I thought Terminal Gold was already considered too good for $4. So it's very interesting that even in first impressions something similar to it in power isn't really impressing anybody.

I wonder how strong a Terminal Gold actually is.
I think it is a simple matter. LastFootnote has argued that Adventurer is a $2, i.e. digging for Treasure is not better than drawing. So Fortune Hunter is similar to +2 Coins, +1 Card which is weaker than Smithy. Smithy is a strong $4, so Fortune Hunter is a weak $4.

That sounds like something I would say, but Fortune Hunter is different from Adventurer in a lot of important ways. Adventurer's base value is +$2, and you have to work pretty hard to make it reliably better. Fortune Hunter's base value is +$3. It can whiff more easily than Adventurer, but it's still not likely to in the kind of deck where you want it. But perhaps equally important, Fortune Hunter puts the other cards back instead of discarding them. So it's effectively pulling a Copper out of your next hand (or next draw if you didn't play it at the end of your Action phase). That's usually a pretty nice side benefit. Also, Fortune Hunter sometimes lets you choose between different Treasures, and you can smooth out your money a bit that way. You can even opt not to play any of the Treasures! With Adventurer you're stuck with whatever you get.

That's good for hitting precise price points the way Courtyard-BM and Gear-BM is. It's too bad the simulation forum is dead as I'd like to see how it compares to other BM strategies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.