Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Noble Brigand  (Read 26079 times)

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Brigand
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 11:47:59 pm »

I just finished a Colony game where I was getting smoked by player 1 opening Noble Brigand / Silver and spamming Noble Brigand buys.  I should have lost, but my opponent made some major late-game mistakes.

It forced me to open 3/3 and generally screwed with my early game economy to the point where I was struggling to afford Gold for many turns.

The consensus so far in this thread has been that the card is best in the mid-late game and isn't so hot in Colony games because of Platinum.  Now I'm wondering whether spamming it early on is viable or if that game was just a fluke.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:48 am »

Spamming NB often is certainly viable on some boards! Particularly when there's no good ways of getting economy other than gold/silver. So yes, it ought to be weaker in colony games, but if you're pegged to silver/gold, it may be really hard to GET to those (choose your pluralization of the word platinum and insert it here) if you're getting blanketed with NB attacks.

Also, check out a game I'm going to post tomorrow that features NB heavily and was a heckuva lotta fun.

paddyodoors

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:55 am »

(choose your pluralization of the word platinum and insert it here)

P L A T I N I I ... ums.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 02:40:51 am »

Normal brigand is friggin awesome. Or so it seems.

I was playing around with the simulators (playing around with ranking the BM+X options), and Noble Brigand spam crushes things like BM+Envoy in a standard province game. Seriously. Presumably there's a way to change the standard sims to make up some of the difference, but it can really surprised me how good it does.

NinjaBus

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 11:48:11 am »
+8

You should note that Noble Brigand's attack on buy ability becomes very effective when combined with oracle. If you see an opponent's gold lying in the top two cards of their deck, you can safely buy their money for 4$.

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:36 pm »

I've been getting more and more appreciative of Noble Brigand's power, especially that of forcing the reshuffle if in player 2 position in a 2-player game.  Using Geronimoo's simulator, a simple Noble Brigand strategy beats simple Familiar strategy 54% of the time if Player 1 gets 3/4 and Player 2 gets 4/3.  Obviously, this changes greatly depending upon other cards in the kingdom, but I almost always open Noble Brigand on a Familiar board with the 3/4, 4/3 split described above, and I am usually able to dish out more curses than my opponent.
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 03:16:42 am »

I take that you mean your opponent opens a potion. But since you open NB, it means you can only get potion a shuffle later... so how does that translate to a definite advantage?

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:42 am »
+2

I think that the opponent opened Silver and you buy a Noble Brigand with your first hand, which does 2 things:

1) It causes your opponent to re-shuffle, making his Potion that he might buy on turn 2 miss the shuffle. That doesn't seem like the biggest deal as it's only a small 6-card shuffle and by getting the Noble Brigand you're setting yourself up to be late on the Potion as well.
2) It has a decent chance to hit the Silver that he just bought, which would set your opponent behind considerably.

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 05:36:30 pm »

I think that the opponent opened Silver and you buy a Noble Brigand with your first hand, which does 2 things:

1) It causes your opponent to re-shuffle, making his Potion that he might buy on turn 2 miss the shuffle. That doesn't seem like the biggest deal as it's only a small 6-card shuffle and by getting the Noble Brigand you're setting yourself up to be late on the Potion as well.
2) It has a decent chance to hit the Silver that he just bought, which would set your opponent behind considerably.

Exactly.  It goes back to the 1/3 chance of getting your opponent's Silver and making the Potion miss the shuffle, which compensates for the fact that you'll be late to the Potion, too.  I can't program Geronimoo's simulator to run a more complex strategy other than the basic ones, so I can't have the Noble Brigand go Familiar after the initial Noble Brigand.  However, Familiar v. Familiar has slight 1st player advantage, with Win rate being 49% to 48% (1st and 2nd player respectively).  In the 3 Copper, 2 Estate start state for Player 1 playing Familiar, and the 4 Copper, 1 Estate start state for Player 2 playing Noble Brigand, the win rate changes to 46% to 51%, giving Player 2 a slight advantage.
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 07:30:48 pm »

I put some sims together and dudeabides has a valid point. It seems worth considering although it may be a big risk, big reward strategy.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.