Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Foray is broken  (Read 787 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
Foray is broken
« on: December 27, 2022, 02:34:22 am »

Foray doesn't seem to work properly. When I buy it, it often does not discard my top three cards, even when I have more than three cards in my drawpile, sometimes it'll only discard one or two cards, and sometimes it won't discard anything at all, not even giving me the chance to try for a Loot
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
Re: Foray is broken
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 03:32:53 am »
+2

Foray doesn't seem to work properly. When I buy it, it often does not discard my top three cards, even when I have more than three cards in my drawpile, sometimes it'll only discard one or two cards, and sometimes it won't discard anything at all, not even giving me the chance to try for a Loot

Doesn't foray expect you to discard from your hand? I haven't actually played with it, but generally "discard" without a location specified is from your hand.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 02:17:12 pm »

Doesn't foray expect you to discard from your hand? I haven't actually played with it, but generally "discard" without a location specified is from your hand.

... Oh. Somehow I'd completely misunderstood it. I was thinking it was like Harvest, where you discarded from your deck. Okay, then in that case I was mistaken
They/them

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 02:41:51 pm »
+2

You are the second player to misunderstand it (an has reported it). As your interpretation is also reasonable, it seems to be a possible trap to fall into. Maybe the next printing should add the "from your hand" clause.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 01:37:10 am »
+3

You are the second player to misunderstand it (an has reported it). As your interpretation is also reasonable, it seems to be a possible trap to fall into. Maybe the next printing should add the "from your hand" clause.

I’m not seeing why it should be different than Poacher, Cellar, Warehouse, Hamlet, etc… I guess it’s because you get a reward based on what was discarded? But adding “from hand” on just that, while leaving it off from all other “discard” effects, could lead to more confusion than clarification. Look at how many times people have asked if cards set aside by Haven counted for your deck at the end of the game, partially because they saw that Island and Native Village (first editions) specified that they did while Haven didn’t.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 04:54:22 am »
+1

Formally you are right. But when several experienced players get this misunderstanding, then it looks like there is a bigger potential for misunderstanding than for the other mentioned cards.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 11:51:06 am »

I have also made this mistake!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.