Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Taskmaster post-gain  (Read 977 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Taskmaster post-gain
« on: December 24, 2022, 10:15:02 pm »

If you gain a $5 card before you play a Taskmaster, does the Taskmaster stay in play? Or is its ability only triggered by gains after it's been activated?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Taskmaster post-gain
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 11:50:56 pm »
+1

There’s a rules clarification on the wiki that if gaining a $5 causes you to play Taskmaster (like with Haggler and Rush), then it will count. I assume based on that that the answer is no (because otherwise you wouldn’t need the example of a gain causing you to play it). The wording refers only to “if you gain”; which is not including past tense.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 12:39:00 am »
+1

There’s a rules clarification on the wiki that if gaining a $5 causes you to play Taskmaster (like with Haggler and Rush), then it will count. I assume based on that that the answer is no (because otherwise you wouldn’t need the example of a gain causing you to play it). The wording refers only to “if you gain”; which is not including past tense.

Yeah, seeing that rules clarification appear on the wiki is what made me ask the question. I agree that the line on the wiki seems to presuppose that the answer is no, but since that hasn't actually been explicitly clarified yet I figured I should actually ask.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 02:10:49 am »
+2

If you gain a $5 card before you play a Taskmaster, does the Taskmaster stay in play?
No.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 11:29:42 am »
+2

This answer is actually in the rulebook (which is on the RGG website): "Taskmaster does not count cards gained before playing it."
But in any case, this is supported by the straight reading of the card. Cards like Livery, Galleria and Guildmaster don't give you anything for cards gained earlier in the turn.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:32:51 am by Jeebus »

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 12:13:38 pm »
+1

This answer is actually in the rulebook (which is on the RGG website): "Taskmaster does not count cards gained before playing it."
But in any case, this is supported by the straight reading of the card. Cards like Livery, Galleria and Guildmaster don't give you anything for cards gained earlier in the turn.

Well, sure, but the confusion here is more about timing of effects. After all, I don't think it is intuitive that if gaining a $5 causes you to play Taskmaster (like with Haggler and Rush), then it will count.

Similarly with Livery, I think it is not intuitive that if you gain a Livery and play it with Innovation, you do get a Horse from Livery's effect.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 12:47:30 pm »
+1

Well, sure, but the confusion here is more about timing of effects. After all, I don't think it is intuitive that if gaining a $5 causes you to play Taskmaster (like with Haggler and Rush), then it will count.

Similarly with Livery, I think it is not intuitive that if you gain a Livery and play it with Innovation, you do get a Horse from Livery's effect.

Pretty sure the original question was simply if it would count if you gained a $5 and then later on your turn played Taskmaster.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 01:27:35 pm »
+3

There is some room for uncertainty, compared to the other 3 cards you list. Those all say "when you gain", while Taskmaster says "if you gain". One could think (incorrectly) that at the start of next turn, you should look back at last turn and see if you gained a card costing that turn or not.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 04:12:24 pm »

There is some room for uncertainty, compared to the other 3 cards you list. Those all say "when you gain", while Taskmaster says "if you gain". One could think (incorrectly) that at the start of next turn, you should look back at last turn and see if you gained a card costing that turn or not.

True.

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 05:57:35 pm »
+1

Another nuance to watch out for (which cost me a game just now as I didn't think about it), is if you have Taskmaster(s) in play from a previous turn and you have a start-of-turn gainer (e.g. Importer), you have to "trigger" Taskmaster's replay effect before you gain the card (if that's the card you are using as your 5-cost gain for that turn). If you are playing IRL I daresay you'd never actually do anything different, you'd just gain the card and then at end-of-turn note you'd gained the card and keep Taskmaster in play, but online if you don't select to apply the Taskmaster effect first, then they'll all get discarded at end-of-turn (even though it makes absolutely no difference in practical terms as those card effects all happen prior to anything else occurring on your turn).

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 06:29:34 am »
+1

Another nuance to watch out for (which cost me a game just now as I didn't think about it), is if you have Taskmaster(s) in play from a previous turn and you have a start-of-turn gainer (e.g. Importer), you have to "trigger" Taskmaster's replay effect before you gain the card (if that's the card you are using as your 5-cost gain for that turn). If you are playing IRL I daresay you'd never actually do anything different, you'd just gain the card and then at end-of-turn note you'd gained the card and keep Taskmaster in play, but online if you don't select to apply the Taskmaster effect first, then they'll all get discarded at end-of-turn (even though it makes absolutely no difference in practical terms as those card effects all happen prior to anything else occurring on your turn).

I think the only extreme corner case where it could make a difference is if you're gaining Storyteller at start of turn and playing it with Innovation/City-state, and you DON'T want to use the coin from Taskmaster on Storyteller.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 20 queries.