Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your Favorite Expansions  (Read 1834 times)

Águia Branca

• Steward
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
Your Favorite Expansions
« on: December 16, 2022, 01:39:23 pm »
+2

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we chat about our favorite expansions. There have probably been threads like this in the long history of this forum, but I went through a quick search and didn't find anything, definitely not anything halfway recent. I'll just give my thoughts and maybe you'd like to join in :)

Dark Ages has a lot of cool unique cards that aren't super oppressive (unless part of a combo), like Poor House, Beggar, Hermit, Market Square, Death Cart, Fortress and especially Rats. I could do without Cultist, Knights and Rebuild, but at least they're not quite as strong as they used to be. All in all, Dark Ages has the highest ratio of cards that make it into my heavily curated box.

Renaissance has a somewhat subtle megaturn theme, which I enjoy a great deal. The cards are mostly on the simple side, which is a very good thing, especially because I tend to play with casual players who don't know all of the cards by heart. On average, Renaissance has the best art in my book, which is fitting, I guess. The majority of projects are also bangers. If there is anything to complain about, I'm not the biggest fan of the artifacts, though I do get the appeal of having something to fight over.

Menagerie has Ways and Exile, which I both love. Alliance and Populate are over the top in a very good way. Snowy Village is probably my favorite village. If I had to criticize something, it'd be that some of the events are a bit boring (Ride, Demand, Bargain and Enclave come to mind).

Which expansion(s) do you like best? Why?

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Expansions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 02:28:48 pm »
+2

Seaside will always be a favorite. I only got into Dominion a couple years ago, so I’m not sure I’m entitled to be a “nostalgic Seaside guy,” but when I got Seaside I was just getting my friends into Dominion. They’re not into gaming much - party games like Apples to Apples are preferred in our group - but they loved Dominion! And when I got Seaside and they got to see Orange cards and a Pirate Ship that let you collect coins, I felt like Santa Claus watching my friends gasp in awe and read through the new Duration cards. I still remember the look of intense satisfaction on my friend’s face as she confidently discarded her hand to Tactician for the first time.

Hinterlands is just a blast. Every card in Hinterlands feels like you’re pulling a cool gadget out of your pocket, or just pulled off a 12-card combo. To my dying day I will tell everyone who asks that Hinterlands is the best expansion for a new player to get after Intrigue, maybe even before.

Menagerie and Renaissance are also favorites. I know Adventures and Empires are looked upon as solidifying what Dominion is and how engines should be played, but to me Renaissance and Menagerie are peak Dominion. Except for a couple expansion-specific elements, everything that makes Dominion wonderful is there; they take the depth of Adventures and Empires, the zaniness of Nocturne, the absurdity of Prosperity, the outrageous fun of Seaside and Hinterlands, and boil it all back to the elegant simplicity that makes Dominion one of the best games of all time.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 05:40:37 pm »

Thank you for starting this tread. This is such a difficult question. I like parts of all sets and dislike parts of most sets. I do not yet own Alchemy, Allies, or the about to be released Plunder.

Dark Ages may be my favorite. The box is packed with so much and has the most cards i like. First there are Shelters nice to twist play. Then there are Ruins, less harmful than Curses. Spoils are kewl. I like all the trash interactions.

My next favorite is Adventures. I love the tokens the most and wished future sets would make some use of them. It was nice to get more Durations. The Reserve cards are nice. This included my first Horizontals, Events, which are kewl since they can add a new dimension to the game.

Renaissance would come in a solid third. This set has so many good cards and some of these also have Artifacts. Artifacts are a nice bonus to struggle against other players to posses. This set gave me my second Horizontals, Projects, which is nice to have some special abilities that others may not have. This set gave me villagers and Coffers. I had not got the Mixed box (Cornucopia + Guilds) yet.

Seaside was my favorite set, until i got the above sets. I got it after the Original, Intrigue, Prosperity, and Hinterlands, which to me all seamed too basic. The idea of Duration was fantastic. I also liked having so many new mats.

Menagerie is a nice set. I have not had it a year yet. Ways are kewl, but don't seams to be used that often. I have included a Way in every game, almost a dozen now, and they are rarely used. I like Horses, but it would be kewl if there was a similar card with a chain longer than one.

I just got Empires, mostly for Landmarks and to try the Debt mechanic. It is nice to use the victory token again, since i largely avoid Prosperity. Split piles seam like an intriguing idea in theory, but not so much in reality. I may need more time with them.

I like Heirlooms from Nocturne, but would like a set without them connected to Boons and Hexes. I'm developing my ouw fan-made set to remedy this.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:15:52 am by BryGuy »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 06:06:18 pm »
+1

Renaissance was pretty good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.