Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion fancard database  (Read 592 times)

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Dominion fancard database
« on: November 24, 2022, 11:56:28 pm »
+1

I'm working on a database for dominion fancards and would love some helpers with the technical aspects. Message me on discord exfret#7014, mention me in the #variants channel of the dominion discord (or, preferably, the subthread I created labeled "fancard database" in that channel), or reply to this topic for more information.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 11:57:36 pm by exfret »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion fancard database
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 03:07:03 pm »

While i'm not on Discord i could help. I'm curious on the data format - why a database and not a spreadsheet?

I already have a spreadsheet with some 322 cards, that are not mine, and another 160 of my own. My columns are: Name, Object (C = card, M = mat, H = Horizontal), Designer (i used user names from this site), Made Date, Quantity (which is important for printing purposes and filtering the data), URL, Card Type, Special. Special houses some particular data like: if overpay is present, if its part of a split pile (to link those cards), or if its "Not in the Supply".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:59:14 pm by BryGuy »

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:11:47 am »

While i'm not on Discord i could help. I'm curious on the data format - why a database and not a spreadsheet?

I already have a spreadsheet with some 322 cards, that are not mine, and another 160 of my own. My columns are: Name, Object (C = card, M = mat, H = Horizontal), Designer (i used user names from this site), Made Date, Quantity (which is important for printing purposes and filtering the data), URL, Card Type, Special. Special houses some particular data like: if overpay is present, if its part of a split pile (to link those cards), or if its "Not in the Supply".

Could you share the spreadsheet perchance? For now, more data is better.

As for why I haven't been doing a spreadsheet, it seems pretty immediately clear to me at least. I mean, for types alone you run into the problem of a many-to-many relationship. Sure, you can have a comma-separated list in the "types" column, but then you have to run a special regex search every time you want something that's a treasure and an attack. And then if you're trying to categorize cards like me, hey, that's another many-to-many relationship, and imagine how big the spreadsheet would be if you have a column for each category! There are many more problems too, but needless to say a spreadsheet is a terrible way to go about this unless you are doing something very simple.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 09:35:11 am »

Sure i can share, i'm just not sure how. Sending the MS excel file would offer features a table here destroys. I manage data and user access is a big concern. The simpler the format the easier it is for people to get what they want and the easier it is for the programmers too.
I use a spreadsheet since it is very easy to filter the data in MS Excel and find what i want. Thankfully MS Excel has much filter capability. Below is a data dump. Looks like so much got lost. If you know a better way, i can share this, i'm open to try that.

Name      Designer   Made Date   Qty   Where   Type   Special
Blueprint   C   Co0kieL0rd   20160614   10   http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15685.msg610452#msg610452   Action   
Tailor   C   kru5h   20161019   10   http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16396.0;all   Action   
Way of the Orca   H   BryGuy   20221028   1   my brain   Way   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:18:00 pm by BryGuy »

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 09:37:41 am »

Not sure that copy-and-paste went well haha. Just upload it to a file sharing website like dropbox or google docs and gimme the link :)

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 05:23:30 pm »

Who are the intended users?

Which cards would you include or exclude? Many cards are only text with no art, which are difficult to find in visual searches - include or exclude? Many cards are only an image, which are difficult to find in text searches - include or exclude? There is a whole thread on bad card ideas - include or exclude?

How would this dataset be populated? By users themselves or the administrators?

Maybe a Google Sheets might be a solution. The Card Types could each be in a column populated with True/False.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:20:10 pm by BryGuy »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.