Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #169: I Am Not Throwing Away My [One-]Shot  (Read 5585 times)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #169: I Am Not Throwing Away My [One-]Shot
« on: November 19, 2022, 09:07:41 pm »
+8

WDC #169: I Am Not Throwing Away My [One-]Shot

Hello again, everybody! Here's this week's contest:

Design a card that is (or can be) a one-shot.

As a reminder, a one-shot is a card that can remove itself from your deck after playing it, via trashing itself, setting aside, returning to its pile, etc.

Acceptable submissions include:
  • Mandatory one-shots which are always one-use only, such Island, Treasure Map, Pillage, Distant Lands, Changeling, Acting Troupe, or the now removed Feast or Embargo
  • Conditional one-shots which are optional or only trigger at a certain threshold, such as Mining Village, Investment, Horn of Plenty, Fool's Gold, Death Cart, Hermit, Knights, Urchin, Raze, Engineer, Encampment, Farmer's Market, Small Castle, Pixie, Tragic Hero, or Acolyte.
  • Non-supply one-shots, such as Madman, Spoils, Horses, or Wishes

Other rules and suggestions:
  • While many Travellers are technically optional one-shots, for the sake of this contest (and my judging time), let's stick to a max of two total cards per submission.
  • I prefer submissions where in most instances, the one-shot trigger permanently removes the card, vs. only temporarily (excluding edge cases like from-trash-gainers). So try to avoid Reserve cards like Rat Catcher or Wine Merchant which can bring themselves back into your deck, back and forth exchangers like Vampire and Bat, or things like Stockpile which is often only removed temporarily.
  • Your submission itself must have a way to be a one-shot on its own vs. requiring other cards, so things like Procession, Way of the Horse, or Way of the Butterfly will not be accepted.
  • I know there's a bit of nuance here on what constitutes a one-shot, so to make things easier, if I believe your submission meets all the requirements, I'll give it a +1.
  • Your submission should have a clear and compelling reason to have a one-shot trigger, and especially for conditional one-shots, it should make for interesting decisions of when to use it or not.
  • As mentioned above, I will accept non-Supply cards or split piles as part of your submission, just try to keep things to no more than two cards if you can.
  • Don't make me squint. Eliminate unnecessary words and complexity where possible.

Judgement Details:
  • Entries and revisions must be submitted by 5:00 PM CT (11:00 PM UTC) on Saturday, November 26. I'll have results posted on or before Monday, November 28.
  • Entries will be judged on ingenuity, balance, simplicity, and creative/appropriate use of the one-shot mechanic.

Have fun! While it feels like one-shots have gotten increasingly rare in Dominion these days, it was surprising to see how many there still are, and it feels like there's a lot of design space people can go with both mandatory and conditional options.

I'm excited to see your designs!

Entries:

Schrödinger's Cat by Builder_Roberts
(Untitled) by fika monster
Excavate by Augie279
Ocean Wave by BryGuy
Sieve by majiponi
Stash House by emtzalex
Deer Stalk by Ethan
Hero's Demise by Sumrex
Prospecting Town by JW
Pawnshop by weretheruler
Travelling Book Merchant by lompeluiten
Crusader by czzzz
Bricks by nagdon
Mask Salesman by kru5h
Study by xyz123
Morgue by NoMoreFun
Adorn by anordinaryman
Burnt Offering by Xen3k
Gunpowder by SignError
Pupil by Gubump
Venture Capitalist/Seed Money by spheremonk
Swordsmith by exfret
Recycled Goods by X-tra
Infrastructure by arowdok
Maid by LTaco
Trailblazer by Erick648
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 08:11:25 pm by 4est »

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #169: I Am Not Throwing Away My [One-]Shot
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 11:27:18 pm »
+4

One-shots, eh? Here's my take on it;

Schrödinger's Cat : Action : $4
+2 Cards
You may trash this for
+1 Card and +1 Action.
-
While in the trash, this is also in the Supply,
(but not in it's pile).

Originally, this had an additional +$1 along with the +2 Cards, but it was too annoying to count during playtesting. This is like Experiment, but it never really runs out, and it doesn't have to be a one-shot.
Some clarification about what "While in the trash, this is also in the Supply" means -
1. The Schrödinger's Cat pile doesn't count the cards in the trash. (So, the pile can still run out, even if you can still buy some from the trash.)
2. Schrödinger's Cats that are in the trash are still in the supply, just in the trash pile. That means they can be bought and gained as one normally would, just from the trash instead. (eg, Workshop could gain a Cat from the Trash.)

Sorry the art and name aren't so "dominion-y" - I didn't really have any dominion ideas to go with this mechanic beyond "undead".

Cool contest! I look forward to more submissions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 11:28:52 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 06:20:44 am »
+1

Having a cold, so the language of thw card is bad but here is my submission

Untitled: 3 cost Action card

Trash this, and another card from your hand. If you did, you may gain a non-Victory card from the trash costing less than (untitled) and the trashed card combined cost.
-
Set-up: In games using this, put 2 Action cards from each pile into the trash. The game ends when 4 piles are empty instead of 3.

---

will improve cards language later. But the idea is to combine Dismantle and Island: Improve your deck and gain a card from the trash.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 11:48:17 am »
+1

Looks more like a Feast variant to me.
This is bonkers with Necromancer and messy to set up. I suggest to make it cleaner and slightly buff it via getting rid of the setup trashing and gaining from trash, simply make it gain the ordinary way.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 01:18:58 pm »
+3

A not-quite Treasure Map thing. Considered both prices of $6 and $7 but 8 debt probably fits this card better.
they/them

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 02:04:18 pm »
+1

I'm not settled on the name...
One-shots seams difficult to price. Since this is trashed instead of returned to the Supply, $3 seamed fair.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 02:06:08 pm by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 02:07:35 pm »
+1

This is super weak. For the same price you get a OneShotDoubleLab with Experiment.
Obviously it would be too strong as regular card as it likely beats Smithy BM.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 05:09:35 pm »

This is super weak. For the same price you get a OneShotDoubleLab with Experiment.
Which card are you referencing with "this"?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 05:16:39 pm »
+1

Which card are you referencing with "this"?

The one posted right before his comment, i.e. yours.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 06:36:17 pm »
+2

Updated version:

Constructive feedback welcome. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 06:38:13 pm by BryGuy »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 10:05:23 pm »
+2

Sieve
cost $2 - Action
Trash this.
Gain a Copper to your hand.
Gain a Silver onto your deck.
Gain a Gold.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 12:11:21 am »
+8

My Submission:

Stash House • $4 • Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard 3 cards. You may trash this to put 2 cards from your discard pile into your hand.

My submission is Stash House. Played regularly, it's a Warehouse, sifting 3 cards while reducing your hand size by 1. You can then trigger a one-shot that lets you dig 2 cards out of your discard pile. It could be 2 of the cards you discarded (if you triggered the shuffle that will be your only option), or some cards discarded earlier. The one-shot effectively makes it into a Horse in terms of hand size change, with a little extra benefit from the sifting/potential access to other cards.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 03:42:37 am »
+2

Deer Stalk
Action - $5
+3 Cards
You may trash this to reveal your hand for +1 VP per Victory card there.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 05:06:09 am »
+10

Hero's Demise 4$
+2 cards
+2 actions
If you have 3 or more unused Actions (Actions, not Action cards), set this aside and trash it at the start of clean-up.

Its a Lost City that punishes you for being the village idiot. The additional draw compared to village helps you finding your terminal. It sets itself aside to prevent the mining village problem of forgetting the additional actions. The name is of course a play on tragic hero, who mirrors this to a degree. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 11:54:21 am »

Would Seize the Day from Menagerie count?

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 12:59:04 pm »
+4

Hero's Demise 4$
+2 cards
+2 actions
If you have 3 or more unused Actions (Actions, not Action cards), set this aside and trash it at the start of clean-up.

Its a Lost City that punishes you for being the village idiot. The additional draw compared to village helps you finding your terminal. It sets itself aside to prevent the mining village problem of forgetting the additional actions. The name is of course a play on tragic hero, who mirrors this to a degree. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

It's a great idea, but I wonder if it may be too strong - the first copy played each turn has no trashing risk at all* and is therefore a must-buy at $4, as good as Lab and Vanillage combined. And usually you'll be happy to buy enough terminals so that you can play all of your HD's without trashing them (barring bad shuffle luck).

For comparison, Tragic Hero has a weaker penalty, but it wouldn't be overpowered even if it had no penalty at all (it would still be worse than Margrave).

*At least if you play it before any other village - but I'd usually not want any other villages anyway when this is available.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 01:15:43 pm »

Would Seize the Day from Menagerie count?

I'm going to say no on that one. While mechanically it does have the one-use only idea going for it, I'm looking for cards that fulfill the traditional definition of one-shot, cards that can remove themselves from your deck.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 02:17:06 pm »
+2

Prospecting Town
$4
Action
+1 Card and +2 Actions.

In games using this, at the start of Clean-up, if you have multiple Prospecting Towns in play, you may exchange any number of them for Golds.

Notes: You might need to be careful about returning Prospecting Towns to avoid ending up under-Villaged. Unless you are using them like a lower risk, lower reward Treasure Map, which should be fun too!

Update: I used Gubump's much better wording suggestion. The original wording (which didn't work as intended) was: "At the start of Clean-up, if you have two or more Prospecting Towns in play, if you would discard this from play this turn, you may return it to its pile to gain a Gold."

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:21:15 pm by JW »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 03:03:16 pm »
+1

Prospecting Town
$4
Action
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
At the start of Clean-up, if you have two or more Prospecting Towns in play, if you would discard this from play this turn, you may return it to its pile to gain a Gold.

Notes: If you have two Prospecting Towns in play, it is intended that you can return both to gain Golds. I am not sure if the wording makes that clear, or if it would be fine as an FAQ answer even if not.

Can the wording be improved (or can similar functionality be achieved with a simpler mechanism for returning to its pile)? The "if you would discard this from play this turn" is to avoid complications with things like Royal Galley.

You might need to be careful about returning Prospecting Towns to avoid ending up under-Villaged. Unless you are using them like a lower risk, lower reward Treasure Map, which should be fun too!

I don't think the "if you would discard this from play this turn" is necessary. If you set it aside with Royal Galley, then stop-moving prevents you from being able to return it anyway since it wouldn't be in play, and as far as I know, there isn't any other way to play a non-Duration card and not have that condition met, besides Ways that would make that ability un-triggerable anyway.

Also, I do not believe that the current wording works as far as allowing you to return both. You'd evaluate them both separately, and by the time the 2nd one is evaluated, the 1st has left play, making the condition for the 2nd false. I think you'd have to reword it, as even an FAQ would basically have to violate Dominion rules to work the way you want it to.

My suggestion:
+1 Card
+2 Actions

In games using this, at the start of Clean-up, if you have multiple Prospecting Towns in play, you may exchange any number of them for Golds.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:12:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

weretheruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 08:52:27 pm »
+3

Bomb, $P
Trash this and a card from your hand.

...just kidding :P

Pawnshop, $4
+2 Cards
Choose one: Trash this and a card from your hand, or gain a card from the trash.

Feedback welcome.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2022, 09:06:52 pm »
+2

Travelling book merchant $3
Action
Trash this or an card from your hand
-
When you trash this card, +3 cards, +1 action

Sometimes you just need an boost to get this going. I also like how it reads: trash this, okey. O, you want to trash this!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 08:51:37 am by lompeluiten »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2022, 09:16:44 pm »

Travelling book merchant $3
Action
Trash this or another card
-
When you trash this card, +3 cards, +1 action

Sometimes you just need an boost to get this going. I also like how it reads: trash this, okey. O, you want to trash this!

The top needs to specify where the "another card" comes from (I assume your hand).

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2022, 02:57:39 am »
+3

The copper trashing is mandatory if you have one in play, but for the majority of decks that's a good thing.
I priced it at $4 just thinking about openings, but do you guys think it should be cheaper? One-shots are hard for me to gauge.

edit: "+Action" corrected to "+1 Action", thank you emtzalex
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 09:39:55 pm by czzzz »

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 03:59:49 am »

Hero's Demise 4$
+2 cards
+2 actions

It's a great idea, but I wonder if it may be too strong - the first copy played each turn has no trashing risk at all* and is therefore a must-buy at $4, as good as Lab and Vanillage combined. And usually you'll be happy to buy enough terminals so that you can play all of your HD's without trashing them (barring bad shuffle luck).

For comparison, Tragic Hero has a weaker penalty, but it wouldn't be overpowered even if it had no penalty at all (it would still be worse than Margrave).

*At least if you play it before any other village - but I'd usually not want any other villages anyway when this is available.

The comparison is not as much with tragic hero, but i feel like a good comparison is herald. Herald has normally a lower risk, but you cannot decide what you play. But Herald also has a overpay bonus. Also encampment is a comparison and more risk-free, because its way easier to gain and you just need to have something in your hand you arent sad to have anyway. Without gainers, buying a 4 is a serious decision.

nagdon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2022, 04:57:24 am »

I think Herald and Hero's Demise have approximately the same strength because Herald is very weak at the beginning of the game and "comes online" only when you managed to trash most of your starting deck. I'd perhaps make Hero's Demise return to the supply (like Encampment) because otherwise it has a chance to just "disappear" from the game, but it's a good card in its current form as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.