Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minion and Diplomat  (Read 472 times)

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Minion and Diplomat
« on: October 11, 2022, 09:30:30 am »

I have a diplomat. Opponent play Minion and discards. How is that supposed to play out?

The diplomat would seem to be of no use here.
If I don't play it, it gets discarded with the hand and I draw 4 new cards.
If I play it I draw 2 cards, discard 3,  and then they all get discarded and I draw 4 new cards.

Or is there some other way this is to be played?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Re: Minion and Diplomat
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 11:15:01 am »
+2

If you reveal Diplomat from your 5 card hand, you draw 2 cards (now at 7 cards in hand) and discard 3 (now at 4 cards at hand). Since you have 4 cards in hand, Minion's attack won't affect you--only affects you if you have at least 5 cards in hand.

Also, as another note, not all "When another player plays an Attack card" reaction cards will protect you from all attack cards--just because it lets you do something when an Attack is played doesn't necessarily mean you will nullify the Attack.

Zombie13

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 11:27:21 am »
+2

I think some of the question involves timing.  When the opponent plays the minion, you have the ability to react with the diplomat (or any reaction) _before_ they decide to discard.  That way it can protect you as Wizard says.

If they play minion and you choose not to react, then they say discard, you've lost your chance to react.  According to the rules anyway.  Online plays this way; you are prompted to react before their choice.

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 07:54:07 pm »
+1

Thanks. That clears it up. I play a lot IRL, so I have to remember that a reaction has the  opportunity to be "played" before the attack card decision is made, if there is one.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.