Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #164: Read the Fine Print  (Read 5456 times)

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #164: Read the Fine Print
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2022, 09:01:54 am »

Virus Lab - $3 - Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you revealed any Curses, gain a Curse.
-
When you gain this, gain a Curse to the top of your deck.

In games without a possibility to get rid of the Curses, this is worse than a do-nothing cantrip. (The lab's card draw and the when-gain curse cancel each other out over each shuffle, except for the -1VP, and you will likely not be able to play Virus Lab or get further curses several times).

In the more common case where you can trash curses, Virus Lab may be worth buying, but you still risk a Rats-like cascade of Curses if you're unlucky to draw a Curse from playing Virus Lab itself.

Yeah. Don't bother judging this. I don't have time to make it better.

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2022, 02:07:20 pm »

24 hours remaining

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2022, 05:21:41 pm »
+1

Here is my simple entry this week

Gilded Reef
$7
Victory
7%
-
When you gain this, each other player may gain a Gold onto their deck.

binbag420

• Swindler
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2022, 07:02:17 pm »
+2

An heirloom.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:31:16 am by binbag420 »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2022, 03:25:21 am »
+2

Mad Alchemist - $4
Action
If you have Toxic Vapors, you may put a card from your hand onto your Tavern mat, for +4 Cards and +1 Action.
----
When you gain this, take Toxic Vapors.

Toxic Vapors
State
When scoring, -1% per 2 cards you have on your Tavern mat (round up).

A draw 2 that can put a card from hand onto your Tavern mat to be non-terminal and draw 2 more cards. The catch is that everyone starts with the Toxic Vapors state, which makes players lose VP based on how many cards are on their Tavern mat. Toxic Vapors being a State made the most sense. I had a design without the State, but it was a lot of reading and it multiplied the VP lost by how many Mad Alchemists you had, which was not what I wanted. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Changed Toxic Vapors to penalize more aggressively.  Mad Alchemist now plays more like Stables and requires you to have Toxic Vapors to function. Players now only take Toxic Vapors when they gain a Mad Alchemist. These changes should nerf Mad Alchemist and prevent hosing other cards that use the Tavern mat. The draw 4 cards may still be too good, but I want the card to be tempting. Should this be changed to just daw 3 cards? Feedback is appreciates.
Thanks to scott_pilgrim, 4est, and LibraryAdventurer

Old Version(s)

My feedback: I would certainly reduce the draw to +3 cards, and probably even to +2 cards - a lab that pseudo-trashes is still very good at $4 (compare e.g. with Junk Dealer at $5, or Spice Merchant which is limited to trashing Coppers), and the penalty of -0.5 VP per exiled card is still mild enough to be worth it. E.g. you only get a net -2VP from exiling all starting cards, and you can green much earlier with the ability to get "5.5 VP" Provinces out of your deck.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 05:19:53 am »
+3

Slum City $4
action
+2 actions
+2 cards
---
Can't play any treasures while this is in play

I think this is to extreme, but I couldn't think of an better way.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:27:34 am by lompeluiten »

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2022, 09:23:38 am »

Slum City $4
action
+2 actions
+2 cards
---
Can't play any treasures while this is in play

I think this is to extreme, but I couldn't think of an better way.

Nah, tactician  has basically the same downside. People will make it work.

Gamer3000

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2022, 06:09:28 pm »
+6

Contest closed

Here are the submissions I have received:

Eldritch Dealer (Builder_Roberts)
Night Market (Augie279)
Blood Ruby (nyxfulloftricks)
Landlord (X-tra)
City of Gold (4est)
Freshman (xyz123)
Runaway (emtzalex)
The Gate (sumrex)
Corrupt City (Commodore Chuckles)
Crumbling City (NoMoreFun)
Storebox (majiponi)
Sombrero (faust)
Virus Lab (MrHiTech)
Icy Venture (LibraryAdventurer)
Affair (exfret)
IlstrawberrySeed’s Card
Swineherd (D782802859)
Treasure Island (Udzu)
Mad Alchemist (Xen3k)
Clothier (AJL828)
Gilded Reef (arowdok)
Serf (binbag420)
Slum City (lompeluiten)

If I missed your card, please let me know as soon as possible. I will attempt to get the results in sometime over the weekend.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 07:45:56 pm »
+2

Contest closed

Night Market (Augie279)
Landlord (X-tra)
City of Gold (4est)
Freshman (xyz123)
Runaway (emtzalex)
The Gate (sumrex)
Storebox (majiponi)
Sombrero (faust)
Virus Lab (MrHiTech)
Affair (exfret)
IlstrawberrySeed’s Card
Swineherd (D782802859)
Treasure Island (Udzu)
Mad Alchemist (Xen3k)
Clothier (AJL828)
Gilded Reef (arowdok)
Serf (binbag420)
Slum City (lompeluiten)

If I missed your card, please let me know as soon as possible. I will attempt to get the results in sometime over the weekend.

YOU FORGOT JACK IN THE BOX OF ALL TRADES, BUSINESS, PROFESSIONS, SKILLS, TALENTS AND CRAFTS!!!

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2022, 09:37:42 pm »
+1

Contest closed

Night Market (Augie279)
Landlord (X-tra)
City of Gold (4est)
Freshman (xyz123)
Runaway (emtzalex)
The Gate (sumrex)
Storebox (majiponi)
Sombrero (faust)
Virus Lab (MrHiTech)
Affair (exfret)
IlstrawberrySeed’s Card
Swineherd (D782802859)
Treasure Island (Udzu)
Mad Alchemist (Xen3k)
Clothier (AJL828)
Gilded Reef (arowdok)
Serf (binbag420)
Slum City (lompeluiten)

Virus Lab - $3 - Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you revealed any Curses, gain a Curse.
-
When you gain this, gain a Curse to the top of your deck.

In games without a possibility to get rid of the Curses, this is worse than a do-nothing cantrip. (The lab's card draw and the when-gain curse cancel each other out over each shuffle, except for the -1VP, and you will likely not be able to play Virus Lab or get further curses several times).

In the more common case where you can trash curses, Virus Lab may be worth buying, but you still risk a Rats-like cascade of Curses if you're unlucky to draw a Curse from playing Virus Lab itself.

Yeah. Don't bother judging this. I don't have time to make it better.

PLEASE DON'T WASTE TIME JUDGING THIS

Gamer3000

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2022, 10:23:58 pm »
+6

Results

A simple card that is still rich in decision making. It would be interesting to compare how often this would be gained through the cursing option vs. through the more expensive option. Definitely a strong contender.

Night Market (Augie279)
Comparison to Fortune is very apt. The on-gain restriction and penalty is an interesting way to ensure this doesn’t get out of hand too early on. You’re probably not likely to pick up more than one of these, but it looks fun to play around.

This should read, ‘When you gain’. Other than that, I think it’s a perfectly fine card. Triple playing a treasure isn’t the most exciting ability, but it could definitely work if you already have big treasures.

Landlord (X-tra)
Very interesting card with a possibly game-changing interaction with Estates. I could see this being a bit swingy as to whether or not you draw them with one of your Estates, but there are plenty of swingy cards that are nonetheless really enjoyable to play with. This looks like one of them.

City of Gold (4est)
I enjoy alt-VP cards, and this looks that something you could build a deck around. The on-gain penalty has a really interesting interaction with the rest of the card, but I wonder if it might be slightly too penalizing.

Freshman (xyz123)
I like this. Probably won’t see play without Villages or another source of Villagers, but that’s certainly not a deal-breaker. I really like the idea of a terminal card giving other players Villagers on gain. Discard your hand cards aren’t typically my favorite, but this is a neat card.

Runaway (emtzalex)
As you mentioned, it can be quite difficult to design a Fugitive variant, though I think you’ve managed to do a pretty good job here. I do wonder if this might be a bit on the weaker side, especially compared to something like Old Map. Have you considered making it so Out in the Cold only causes you to discard 1 extra card?

The Gate (sumrex)
Gate Guardian seems especially crippling for a 4-cost non-terminal Gold, essentially shutting out any sort of card draw. Limiting Gate Guardian to only preventing the playing of future actions could make this playable. As is, this is pretty much exclusively playable in a Big Money game.

Being able to see the Ruins that will be gained with this makes for some interesting decisions. This will play significantly differently based on the cards available in the Kingdom (trashers, +Buy, etc.). It could definitely be really strong, but I don’t think it’s broken.

Another city! I really like this idea. A powerful card that only costs $3… but can disappear en masse if you get too greedy. The added buy makes it easier to restock on them if you find yourself about to lose a number of them.

Storebox (majiponi)
A Chapel that provides coin will almost always be a must-buy at $3. Unfortunately, the penalty here seems rather insignificant since your opponents will almost certainly be mass trashing with their own Storebox. Allowing your opponents to trash any number of cards on gain could be a more consequential drawback.

Sombrero (faust)
Cute lab variant. This looks like something that could’ve appeared in the Base game to teach new players the importance of shuffling and deck control. Probably the simplest submission this week. Also one of my favorites.

Definitely stronger than Venture, but Venture was weak and has been removed, so I don’t think it’s a problem. It might still need to cost $6, but that would need playtesting to confirm. The drawback is a bit wordy and less consequential now that Treasures are played at the start of your next turn, rather than immediately. Best way to fix the wordiness is probably to add “other than Icy Venture”, though, as others have mentioned, that would have invalidated the card.

Affair (exfret)
This is a really cool Workshop variant. Gives some card draw, but exiles itself if you don’t use its ability to gain more copies of it. Its self-exiling effect may actually be helpful in thinning out your deck late game, but I think it’s still valid to consider this a “drawback”.

IlstrawberrySeed’s Card
This will generally gain you at least one Copper every time it’s played. Add on the Copper you get when you gain the card, and this seems oppressively junky, especially in multiples. The rest of the card is certainly very strong, but I’m not sure if it’s sustainable without some serious trashing available.

Swineherd (D782802859)
I like the idea of this; the on-gain effect is most punishing when you have a lot of junk in your hand, but the card itself is most useful when you have junk it can get rid of. An interesting dilemma! I worry that the card may be slightly weak, but I don’t think it’s unreasonably so.

Treasure Island (Udzu)
This is really neat pseudo-trasher. It can help clean out some Coppers and, once that’s done, can give a one-time burst of coins. There are cards that can synergize with Capital’s discard penalty, but I love how this card has a built in ability to negate its debt gain.

Mad Alchemist (Xen3k)
Old version was definitely busted, but I think you’ve managed to make it workable. Still a very strong card for $4 (you could get away with pricing this at $5). It’s not quite as good with strong trashers in the Kingdom, but unless you’re planning to make use of the Tavern mat, this will be in almost every deck.

Clothier (AJL828)
This looks like a solid card. I don’t know how often the restriction will be consequential, since you will likely only be using the card for Gold gain near the end of the game, but it’s an interesting drawback nonetheless.

Gilded Reef (arowdok)
A province that is slightly cheaper and gives slightly more VP at the cost of letting your opponents topdeck a Gold. Biggest thing to remember is that the game won't end when these run out. Dominion doesn't currently have any Kingdom cards that give more VP than Provinces. I worry this could drag the game out past its welcome, but I think it'd be worth playtesting to see.

Serf/Medley (binbag420)
These seem rather weak, though I could see Serf shining in very specific circumstances. As is, Medley doesn't really seem worth trashing, despite its $6 cost. I'd probably lower its cost a bit and try making it only gain 1 (maybe 2?) Coppers on trash.

Slum City (lompeluiten)
So many cities this week! I agree that this is probably a bit restrictive, but I think it could be pretty easily fixed.  You’re only going to buy this once you have several coin producing actions, by which point you can likely afford more expensive cards, making a cheap Lost City less appealing. I’d recommend making this card stronger and more expensive to justify buying it once you can work around the restriction.

Runners-up: Eldritch Dealer (Builder_Roberts), Landlord (X-tra), Sombrero (faust), Affair (exfret), Treasure Island (Udzu)

Winner: Crumbling City (NoMoreFun)

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2022, 12:09:14 am »
+1

runner up? nice!

congrats to NMF!
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2022, 05:00:51 pm »
+1

Thank you for judging! New contest will be up within 24 hours.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.