Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #164: Read the Fine Print  (Read 5461 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #164: Read the Fine Print
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 08:02:32 pm »

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure. Discard the other revealed cards. If you revealed a Treasure, play it. Otherwise, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.
-
When you reveal this, set it aside, and keep revealing cards as if you hadn't revealed it, then discard this when the current card is resolved.
A Venture that can't hit copies of itself. (not sure about the best wording).
Should probably be a reaction.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 10:08:26 pm »
+1

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure. Discard the other revealed cards. If you revealed a Treasure, play it. Otherwise, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.
-
When you reveal this, set it aside, and keep revealing cards as if you hadn't revealed it, then discard this when the current card is resolved.

What about "reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure other than an Icy Venture"?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2022, 10:16:12 pm »

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
-

What about "reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure other than an Icy Venture"?

Then it wouldn't qualify.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2022, 01:16:44 am »

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
-
Oh yeah, forgot that. fixed now.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 02:48:27 am »

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
-
Oh yeah, forgot that. fixed now.
FWIW, this is what this would look like on an actual card (not the right triple-color scheme):

Which satisfies the "fine print" of the contest, but I think it would be good to look into ways in which you can reduce the amount of text needed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 02:49:51 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2022, 11:43:27 am »

Virus Lab - $3 - Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you revealed any Curses, gain a Curse.
-
When you gain this, gain a Curse to the top of your deck.

In games without a possibility to get rid of the Curses, this is worse than a do-nothing cantrip. (The lab's card draw and the when-gain curse cancel each other out over each shuffle, except for the -1VP, and you will likely not be able to play Virus Lab or get further curses several times).

In the more common case where you can trash curses, Virus Lab may be worth buying, but you still risk a Rats-like cascade of Curses if you're unlucky to draw a Curse from playing Virus Lab itself.

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2022, 01:53:14 pm »
+5

It's jealous of other cards you get  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 01:54:43 pm by exfret »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2022, 06:37:06 pm »
+1

+2 cards
+2 actions
Gain a horse
-
When you gain this or another non-copper non-horse card while this is in play, gain a copper.
———
Action
———
(5)

This was originally designed as the 5th card in a castles-esq split pile based on the song Big Fat Hen, with the tenth “card” being a way, but I think it would work fine as a full pile, hence the submission. Being a full pile might require moving another card (or 2) to horses.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2022, 07:23:07 pm »
+1

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
-
FWIW, this is what this would look like on an actual card (not the right triple-color scheme):

Which satisfies the "fine print" of the contest, but I think it would be good to look into ways in which you can reduce the amount of text needed.
oh. uh...
I guess that's the problem with not mocking up cards is I never realize how wordy they turn out to be.
If I think of a better version (or something else), I'll update it. If not, well, I probably won't win.
(Also, I keep thinking up concepts that seem simple in my head but take a lot of words to write out.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 07:24:21 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2022, 07:47:47 pm »

I have the same problem, most of my favorite cards I’ve made have 10+ lines.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2022, 09:20:02 pm »

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2022, 02:34:18 am »

It's jealous of other cards you get  ;D

Can I add an addendum for it to say "during your action phase". I didn't mean for it to also restrict cards gained during buy phase too!

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2022, 02:52:50 am »
+1

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
-

oh. uh...
I guess that's the problem with not mocking up cards is I never realize how wordy they turn out to be.
If I think of a better version (or something else), I'll update it. If not, well, I probably won't win.
(Also, I keep thinking up concepts that seem simple in my head but take a lot of words to write out.)

Oh that's nothing

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2022, 04:55:27 am »
+2

Treasure Island: it's an Island that's a Treasure! Can be played either as a Spoils, or as a spike-thinner. Needs playtesting to check it's balanced.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2022, 09:59:01 am »
+2

I guess that's the problem with not mo cking up cards is I never realize how wordy they turn out to be.

Oh that's nothing

oh that's nothing

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2022, 11:49:50 am »
+1

Icy Venture
$5 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
-

oh. uh...

You could shrink the text slightly by simplifying the action and reaction:

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2022, 12:59:25 pm »
+1

Mad Alchemist - $4
Action
If you have Toxic Vapors, you may put a card from your hand onto your Tavern mat, for +3 Cards and +1 Action.
----
When you gain this, take Toxic Vapors.

Toxic Vapors
State
When scoring, -2% per 3 cards you have on your Tavern mat (round up).

A draw 2 that can put a card from hand onto your Tavern mat to be non-terminal and draw 2 more cards. The catch is that everyone starts with the Toxic Vapors state, which makes players lose VP based on how many cards are on their Tavern mat. Toxic Vapors being a State made the most sense. I had a design without the State, but it was a lot of reading and it multiplied the VP lost by how many Mad Alchemists you had, which was not what I wanted. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Changed Toxic Vapors to penalize more aggressively.  Mad Alchemist now plays more like Stables and requires you to have Toxic Vapors to function. Players now only take Toxic Vapors when they gain a Mad Alchemist. These changes should nerf Mad Alchemist and prevent hosing other cards that use the Tavern mat. The draw 4 cards may still be too good, but I want the card to be tempting. Should this be changed to just daw 3 cards? Feedback is appreciates.
Thanks to scott_pilgrim, 4est, and LibraryAdventurer.

Edit #2: Hit them both with the nerf bat. Mad Alchemist draws 3 instead of 4 cards and the VP penalty is -2VP per 3 cards. Balancing this to be tempting but not busted is difficult. Thanks to Holger for the feedback.

Old Version(s)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:10:44 pm by Xen3k »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2022, 02:19:44 pm »
+2

Mad Alchemist - $4
Action
+2 Cards
You may put a card from your hand onto your Tavern mat, for +2 Cards and +1 Action.
-
Setup: Each player takes Toxic Vapors.

Toxic Vapors
State
When scoring, -2% per 5 cards you have on your Tavern mat (round up).

This drawback is not nearly harsh enough. If you put your whole starting deck onto your mat, you'll have -1 VP net, whereas if you trash your whole starting deck, you'll have 0 VP. So it's only slightly worse than just trashing cards. Then you also have the option to thin other green cards. So I think this is actually better than just +4 cards, +1 action, trash a card, which would be completely busted at $4.

I'm not sure if there's a reasonable ratio of -VP/card(s) where the card is balanced, but I do think the idea of thinning at the cost of VP is neat and has potential.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2022, 02:56:38 pm »

Mad Alchemist - $4
Action
+2 Cards
You may put a card from your hand onto your Tavern mat, for +2 Cards and +1 Action.
-
Setup: Each player takes Toxic Vapors.

Toxic Vapors
State
When scoring, -2% per 5 cards you have on your Tavern mat (round up).

This drawback is not nearly harsh enough. If you put your whole starting deck onto your mat, you'll have -1 VP net, whereas if you trash your whole starting deck, you'll have 0 VP. So it's only slightly worse than just trashing cards. Then you also have the option to thin other green cards. So I think this is actually better than just +4 cards, +1 action, trash a card, which would be completely busted at $4.

I'm not sure if there's a reasonable ratio of -VP/card(s) where the card is balanced, but I do think the idea of thinning at the cost of VP is neat and has potential.

Ok, good point. I fiddled around with the severity of the punishment a bit and this ratio is the harshest when the penalty was on Mad Alchemist. I will adjust the penalty.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2022, 03:14:44 pm »
+1

It will be fine in most games, but I don't like that the penalty will unnecessarily hose other cards that use the Tavern Mat, especially things like Miser, Ratcatcher, Distant Lands, and Wine Merchant which all encourage putting multiples of themselves (or Coppers in Miser's case) on the Tavern Mat. The simplest fix would be to just create a separate mat that's used just for Mad Alchemist. You also could then put the scoring instructions on the mat and eliminate the need for States.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2022, 03:23:50 pm »

It will be fine in most games, but I don't like that the penalty will unnecessarily hose other cards that use the Tavern Mat, especially things like Miser, Ratcatcher, Distant Lands, and Wine Merchant which all encourage putting multiples of themselves (or Coppers in Miser's case) on the Tavern Mat. The simplest fix would be to just create a separate mat that's used just for Mad Alchemist. You also could then put the scoring instructions on the mat and eliminate the need for States.

Having a dedicated Mat would be an interesting idea, but would not really fit the rules of the contest to have the penalty appear below the line. I could always have you gain the State if you gain a Mad Alchemist, so it becomes an active choice.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2022, 06:32:40 pm »
+1

Having a dedicated Mat would be an interesting idea, but would not really fit the rules of the contest to have the penalty appear below the line. I could always have you gain the State if you gain a Mad Alchemist, so it becomes an active choice.
I think it needs to gain the state when you gain a Mad Alchemist. Otherwise, there's no reason for it to not be a Landmark (which would also disqualify the card). One easy way to make it a lot closer to being balanced is have it be +1 Card and +1 Action when you put a card on the mat (instead of another +2 cards). Would still be too strong for $4 with only that change, but then you can tweak the penalty till it works.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2022, 08:03:34 pm »
+1

Clothier
Action ($5)

Gain a Gold or 2 cards costing up to $4.
---
You can't buy this if you have any Golds in play.

Weaver, but bigger. However if you gain Golds it will be harder to acquire more of them, and as they can also gain you engine pieces it's something to be mindful of.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2022, 10:44:29 pm »

Clothier
Action ($5)

---

Weaver, but bigger. However if you gain Golds it will be harder to acquire more of them, and as they can also gain you engine pieces it's something to be mindful of.

combined $4 or $4 each?

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2022, 01:04:59 am »
+1

Clothier
Action ($5)

---

combined $4 or $4 each?

$4 each.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.