Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Curser  (Read 3111 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
The Curser
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »

The Curser
$4 Action-Attack/Reaction

Each other player gains a Curse.
---
When you gain a card, you may reveal and discard this card.
If you do, each other player gains a curse.

Since it does nothing but cursing, I have trouble thinking of a better name...

Will this card be more fun to play with compared to Sea Hag?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: The Curser
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »

Hmm, so you wouldn't usually bother using an action to play this. You'd just wait until your Buy phase and use it to give out Curses when you buy a card, right?

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:57:55 pm »

Yes. An alternate version is to add "trash the gained card" to the reaction part to prevent this. However, this seems rather strong when it reacts to other cursers.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »

A bit broken in Multiplayer

P1 uses the curser effect at the end of his turn.

>1 players show it as a reaction

P1 now has gained more curses from playing his card than any other player.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »

A bit broken in Multiplayer

P1 uses the curser effect at the end of his turn.

>1 players show it as a reaction

P1 now has gained more curses from playing his card than any other player.

Not only that, but it has to go in order. If everyone has The Curser in hand except P1, then it would go like this:

P1 plays Witch.
P2 gains a Curse.
  P2 reveals and discards The Curser.
  P3 gains a Curse.
    P3 reveals and discards The Curser.
    P4 gains a Curse.
      P4 reveals and discards The Curser.
      P1 gains a Curse.
      P2 gains a Curse.
      P3 gains a Curse.
    P1 gains a Curse.
    P2 gains a Curse.
  P4 gains a Curse.
  P1 gains a Curse.
P3 gains a Curse.
P4 gains a Curse.

It has to go in that order in case the Curses run out in the middle. If anybody has multiple Cursers in hand, it could be even more complex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »

This would lead to horribly slow games. It's Sea Hag, but with +1 action and no top-decking. But the +1 action really matters, since you can have other terminals and just not care. Actually... I think that makes it faster than Sea Hag. But possibly more powerful, or at least comparable - which is bad, considering Sea Hag is already considered one of, if not, the best $4.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »

This would lead to horribly slow games. It's Sea Hag, but with +1 action and no top-decking. But the +1 action really matters, since you can have other terminals and just not care. Actually... I think that makes it faster than Sea Hag. But possibly more powerful, or at least comparable - which is bad, considering Sea Hag is already considered one of, if not, the best $4.
Actually if you think about other actions, it does mean that you can probably develop your deck faster more than dealing curses out faster. Sea hag drags the game for two reasons. The first is that it gives out curses. The second is that it is a useless card in your hand which needs an action, thus slow yourself down significantly as well. In the current case, the cursing rate does not change all that much, since in a deck with curses the collision probability is quite low.

Sure in some sense this card is more powerful than Sea hag. But at most it can only be a must get; and a must get need not be unfun.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:49:41 pm »

Actually if you think about other actions, it does mean that you can probably develop your deck faster more than dealing curses out faster. Sea hag drags the game for two reasons. The first is that it gives out curses. The second is that it is a useless card in your hand which needs an action, thus slow yourself down significantly as well. In the current case, the cursing rate does not change all that much, since in a deck with curses the collision probability is quite low.

Sure in some sense this card is more powerful than Sea hag. But at most it can only be a must get; and a must get need not be unfun.

It also topdecks the curses, which considerably slows down everything.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »

But... I mentioned it top decks curses?

And no, it wouldn't necessarily be unfun, but it's too similar to Sea Hag in my opinion. It doesn't top deck and it's essentially non-terminal. That's more or less the differences, and neither of them are... hugely damaging to the card, I don't think.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:23 pm »

But... I mentioned it top decks curses?

And no, it wouldn't necessarily be unfun, but it's too similar to Sea Hag in my opinion. It doesn't top deck and it's essentially non-terminal. That's more or less the differences, and neither of them are... hugely damaging to the card, I don't think.

My bad, was responding to Timchens "two reasons", not the internal quote.

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:42 pm »

barring timing against watchtowers and other minor interactions, there isn't really much reason to use this as a reaction on someone elses turn, since you have to discard it it would have roughly the same effect if revealed when someone else gives you a curse or when you buy a card
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

barring timing against watchtowers and other minor interactions, there isn't really much reason to use this as a reaction on someone elses turn

The earlier they get curses the better; for example, if they would need to shuffle at the end of their turn to draw cards, it's a lot better to give them the curse before they shuffle rather than wait for your turn! It's also safer against discard attacks to get it out of your hand ASAP.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.