Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #160: Two Base Cards  (Read 8025 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #160: Two Base Cards
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:54:31 pm »
+8

This week's challenge:

Design a card/landscape that contains the names of two base cards in the body of its text.

Base cards include Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion, Platinum, and Colony. I recommend against using Platinum or Colony, as they won't be present in every game; but if you can find a way to make it work, they are options.

Official card-shaped things that would qualify include Count, Bandit Fort, and Explorer (explorer even names three!).

My judging will mostly be based on simplicity and novelty. I will allow things like split piles, but the more things I have to read the grumpier I will be and therefore you will be less likely to win. I will not be too concerned about balance, as long as I think the card is balanceable with reasonable changes.

Some other clarifications:
  • Naming the same base card twice is not sufficient.
  • If you use multiple cards (e.g. a split pile), at least one individual card must have two or more base cards named on it.
  • Designing a new doom card does not automatically qualify just because hexes have two or more base cards on them. But you could design a new hex (like Locusts) that has two or more base cards on it. Similarly for Fate cards/Boons.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 02:13:57 pm by scott_pilgrim »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +487
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #160: Two Base Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 09:50:24 pm »
+5

Simple but encourages buying Duchies a bit early, which... well, good luck pulling the second Gold off, I guess.

Edit: Cost changed from $5 to $6
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:16:57 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 12:35:46 am »
+1

Midas
cost $8 - Project
When you trash a card, if it is a ...
Treasure card, exchange it for a Copper
Victory card, exchange it for a Silver
Action card, exchange it for a Gold

He protects you from trashing Attacks. Once I tried exchanging a card costing up to $4, but that was crazy with Highways and a Chapel.

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 12:42:47 am »
+4

A cheap way to gain Provinces without even needing to spend a buy! But at what cost...

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 02:23:12 am »
+5

I don't expect to win this one.

Lure - Event - $3
+1 Buy
Gain a Gold and a Curse.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +487
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 11:29:13 am »
+1

This looks too good compared to Explorer and Pirate. Pirate is only better as it can gain $5 Treasures but that does not compensate for the immediate hand-gaining.

Explorer's removed so I don't see a reason to care about that. Pirate's Reaction allows it to be non-terminal... not all the time, but a good amount of the time, where this will just never be.
they/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 11:44:17 am »
+7

My Submission:

This looks too good compared to Explorer and Pirate. Pirate is only better as it can gain $5 Treasures but that does not compensate for the immediate hand-gaining.

Explorer's removed so I don't see a reason to care about that. Pirate's Reaction allows it to be non-terminal... not all the time, but a good amount of the time, where this will just never be.

1. I don't know how much you care about this, but Donald avoids making cards that are strictly better than existing cards even if said existing card has been removed. Pot of Gold is almost strictly better than Explorer.
2. Pirate's Reaction allows it to be non-terminal sometimes, and sometimes allows you to get the Gold immediately. Pot of Gold always allows you to get the Gold immediately, at the cost of always being terminal; I'd argue that always being terminal is worth always being able to use it immediately. There are also other Gold gainers to compare Pot of Gold to; I don't think any of the benefits the other Gold gainers get over gaining a Gold are on the same level as gaining it to hand; Pirate is delayed, Soothsayer gives out Curses but also a one-time Lab effect to your opponents, Bandit has an okay attack, Courtier requires collision with a multi-type card to get further benefit out of it, Treasure Trove is non-terminal, but produces $2 instead of $3 and junks you with a Copper, and Governor is non-terminal but also gives opponents a benefit, and doesn't even gain the Gold to hand. Gaining the Gold to hand is a better benefit over just gaining Gold than any other Gold gainer (except maybe Governor, which is S-tier anyway)--and that's just the gain to hand part, not even taking the ability to gain a 2nd Gold to hand into account!
Pirate sometimes having a benefit over Pot of Gold doesn't justify making Pot of Gold outclass it otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:45:39 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 01:38:37 pm »
+1

Judge to be clear we are to make a card(s) that uses 2 or more named base cards or exactly 2 named base cards?

Also might be useful for other people here is the full lists of official cards that reference Base Cards

Names 6 Base cards
Alliance

Names 4 Base cards
Castles

Names 3 Base cards
Explorer, Palace

Hexes(Bad Omens, Envious, Greed, Locusts, Plague) - I don't want to count this but the deck of Hexes reference 3 base cards, so all Doom cards reference at least 3.

Names 2 Base cards
Apothecary, Aqueduct, Augurs, Bandit, Bandit Fort, Beggar, Corsair, Count, Enclave, Fool's Gold, Governor, Hunting Grounds, Ill-Gotten Gains,  Mountebank, Noble Brigand, Quest, Soothsayer, Tournament(Prizes) Transmute, Treasure Trove

Boons (The Mountain's Gift + The Sea's Gift) - I don't want to count this but the deck of Boons reference 2 base cards, so all Fate cards reference at least 2.

Names 1 Base card
Alchemist, Amulet, Annex, Banquet, Barbarian, Baron, Black Cat, Blockade, Bonfire, Bureaucrat, Cache, Camel Train, Cauldron, Charlatan, Circle of Witches, Commerce, Conquest, Coppersmith, Courtier, Counting House, Coven, Cursed Gold, Cutpurse, Defiled Shrine, Delve, Desperation, Devil's Workshop, Dismantle, Distant Shore, Dominate, Ducat, Duchess, Duke, Embargo, Embassy, Encampment, Familiar, Feodum, Fortune, Fortune Teller, Fountain, Giant, Grand Market, Groom, Hideout, Hoard, Idol, Inheritance, Jack of All Trades, Jester, Legionary, Leprechaun, Lucky Coin, Market Square, Merchant, Miser, Monastery, Moneylender, Mountain Pass, Old Witch, Pasture, Raid, Reap, Replace, Rocks, Royal Blacksmith, Sauna, Scrap, Sea Hag, Sea Witch, Settlers, Silos, Skulk, Sorcerer, Squire, Swamp Hag, Territory, Torturer, Town Crier, Trade, Trader, Trading Post, Treasure Chest, Treasure Hunter, Treasure Map, Triumph, Tunnel, Vagrant, Way of the Camel, Way of the Worm, Wayfarer, Weaver, Wedding, Wild Hunt, Windfall, Witch, Witch's Hut, Young Witch
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:26:21 pm by arowdok »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 02:13:16 pm »

Judge to be clear we are to make a card(s) that uses 2 or more named base cards or exactly 2 named base cards?

It can use two or more base cards.

Some other clarifications (I'll update the OP):
  • Naming the same base card twice is not sufficient.
  • If you use multiple cards (e.g. a split pile), at least one individual card must have two or more base cards named on it.
  • Designing a new doom card does not automatically qualify just because hexes have two or more base cards on them. But you could design a new hex (like Locusts) that has two or more base cards on it. Similarly for Fate cards/Boons.

Names 3 Base cards
Bandit Fort

I'm not sure how you counted 3 base cards for Bandit Fort?

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 02:50:16 pm »
+1

Here's my submission:

Crone
Action-Attack-Reaction
$5
+2 Cards
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand gains a Curse.
-
When another player plays an attack, you may first reveal this to discard a Copper or a Curse.

Edits. Updated price from $3 to $5
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:08:31 pm by Marpharos »

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 03:24:46 pm »

Names 3 Base cards
Bandit Fort
I'm not sure how you counted 3 base cards for Bandit Fort?

My mistake I will update previous post.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:25:50 pm by arowdok »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 03:42:10 pm »
+2

Bottom text

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 03:48:37 pm »

Lure - Event - $3
+1 Buy
Gain a Gold and a Curse.
I like this but wonder whether this is intentionally not conditional like Desperation.
Yeah, it's intentionally not conditional so that once the curses are gone Golds cost $3 for everyone. I think that's more interactive and fun.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 03:58:32 pm »
+5

Ledger
$5
Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand, +$1 per revealed Copper, +1 Card per revealed Estate.
Gain a Copper and an Estate.

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 04:26:06 pm »
+1

If both Curse and Estate piles are empty or either pile is empty, do players still get the +3VP?

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2022, 04:52:37 pm »
+1

I agree with segura this card is a bit too pushed as Pirate is the only card the gains Gold to hand and is much more compare able to Swamp Hag as it is a duration effect. Courtier basically gains a Gold to hand, with its +$3 and gain a Gold, if they have 2+ typed card. Even comparing this card to the other just Terminal +$3 cards this card is quite a bit stronger. See bellow
Stronghold - Cost $6 but does some very uncomparable stuff
Giant - Only trigger half the time
Poor House/Souk - Needs a small hand
Mandarin/Horse Traders - self discard
Wine Merchant - Self kills after use
Sacred Grove - Help opponents quite often
Galleria/Guildmaster/Livery - these require doing something to get there bonus and there bonus is a much smaller reward then a Gold.
And all these comparisons are assuming player never uses the Duchy clause, just Gain a gold to hand for $5 is far too strong.

Overall I like your simple Gold gainer but the floor is too strong. You might try a card that gains the 1st Gold to the discard pile, but if a Duchy is discarded put the 2nd Gold into the hand.

Also if possible to reword the card to make it clear that the player gains 2 Golds as I misread the card the first time and I assumed only 1 Gold was to be gained and the Discarded Duchy just moved the 1 gained Gold into hand.

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2022, 05:13:21 pm »
+5

Financier

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 05:14:46 pm »

If both Curse and Estate piles are empty or either pile is empty, do players still get the +3VP?

You do as much as you can, but you must gain both an Estate AND a Curse for you to fulfill the +3 condition
Bottom text

n_sanity

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 12:06:31 am »
+6

A Nocturne-inspired card. Based on Werewolf, but I tried to capture the "weakness to Silver" feeling that a Werewolf normally has. Maybe a bit too wordy.

I think the early Silver for opponents, plus the fact that it's conditional make it balanced, although it being non-terminal Curser for $4 might be a bit too much. Let me know what you all think.

EDIT: Added "Attack" type.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:34:14 am by n_sanity »

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 03:21:43 am »

Here's my submission:

Crone
Action-Attack-Reaction
$3
+2 Cards
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand gains a Curse.
-
When another player plays an attack, you may first reveal this to discard a Copper or a Curse.
Never ever a $3, otherwise you will double open without even thinking.
Looks even too strong at $4. Sure, Young Witch is weakish but it makes the attacker discards two whereas here the defender needs to discard one.

With it reacting to itself, I thought if both players open with it then you're not as likely to receive a curse at the beginning of the game and you'll draw into probably money at first too. I was on the fence on it being 3 or 4 cost though,

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 08:20:11 am »

A Nocturne-inspired card. Based on Werewolf, but I tried to capture the "weakness to Silver" feeling that a Werewolf normally has. Maybe a bit too wordy.

I think the early Silver for opponents, plus the fact that it's conditional make it balanced, although it being non-terminal for $4 might be a bit too much. Let me know what you all think.

This does need the Attack type. Otherwise nice concept.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2022, 09:01:31 am »
+3

Old City
+2 Cards
+2 Actions

When you gain this, gain an Estate or 2 Copper.
Simple Lost City variant that junks the buyer rather than helping all other players. Assuming you draw your new junk with this card (which likely isn't the case), you have a choice between a village or a festival without the buy.

n_sanity

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2022, 09:48:37 am »
+1

I think the early Silver for opponents, plus the fact that it's conditional make it balanced, although it being non-terminal for $4 might be a bit too much. Let me know what you all think.

This does need the Attack type. Otherwise nice concept.

Thanks, good catch, fixed in my post.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2022, 09:49:12 am »
+2

Coin Press $4
Action
You may gain a Silver to your hand. If you didn't, trash 2 Treasures from your hand (or reveal you can't). If both are Silver, gain a Gold to your hand. If both aren't Silver, gain a Silver.

A Silver gainer that either nets $2 that turn or trashes 2 copper from hand. It can also trash 2 Silver later on to gain a Gold to hand. I want this to cost $4, but I am not sure if it should or not. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Adjusted wording. Should be functionally the same. You cannot only trash 1 Treasure from your hand.

Edit 2:Changed the wording again. Should have fixed the accountability issue now. Slight functional change where the second half should only trigger when 2 treasures are actually trashed. Shouldn't have to big an impact on use. Thanks goes to Gubump for helping point out the accountability issue.

Old Versions

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 01:04:31 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2022, 12:44:31 pm »

Coin Press $4
Action
Choose one: Gain a Silver to your hand; or trash 2 Treasures from your hand to gain a Silver; or trash 2 Silvers from your hand to gain a Gold to your hand.

A Silver gainer that either nets $2 that turn or trashes 2 copper from hand. It can also trash 2 Silver later on to gain a Gold to hand. I want this to cost $4, but I am not sure if it should or not. Feedback is appreciated.

As worded, this has accountability issues. I'd have a good reason to trash a Copper from my hand with no other Treasures in hand, which this allows you to do but lacks accountability for.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.