Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Horror  (Read 1447 times)

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Dominion: Horror
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:36:28 pm »
+4

This is a Work in Progress
So I've been making a whole bunch of cards without ever putting them together into sets. This is my first fan-expansion.
Main mechanic: Dread. Certain cards make you "Take Dread" - a state that encourages you not to play very many cards.

Basically. each time you play 5 cards from your hand on a turn, you gain Terror.
FAQ: Dread:
Like other states, you can only have one Dread at a time. taking Dread when you already have it does nothing.
There's a copy of Dread for each player.

This is Terror.

FAQ: Terror:
I'm still debating how many copies of Terror should be in the pile. I'm comparing them to Horses, with the return-to pile thing, so I'm starting with 25. The pile isn't supposed to run out, is what I'm saying.

Current cards I've made that give Dread:

Cards that can gain you Terror on their own:

Second mechanic: Removing cards from play.

Other cards for the expansion:

FAQ: Eclipse
Eclipse can play Night cards during your Action phase, (and vice-versa). That's the reason it gives +1 Action.
FAQ: Spectre
Spectre will never be discarded from play on the turn you play it; it either sets itself aside, or it sets another card aside. The turn after is fair game, like any other duration.

Events:

And that's all I got. A total of 14 different Kingdom cards, 7 of which I made previous to thinking up Dread + 3 Events.

The other concept I have is a reverse side to Dread called Contentment, which prevents an instance of dread, perhaps? I'm debating just throwing that idea out of the window, but I might change my mind.

Another mechanic, with the new wording for dread, is cards that remove themselves from play (like horses)

Clearly, just this is not enough for a full expansion. I'll be working on this more, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Cards I am working on at the moment:

(thank you SignError for the Dread wording help)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:43:21 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Horror
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 12:58:59 pm »
+2

If Dread's counter carries over between turns, it should probably use tokens or similar, as-is it doesn't have any tracking.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 05:55:59 pm »

yeah, probably. Wording is hard to keep short. I'll try

"Each time you play a card on your turn, take a Dread token. When you have 5 Dread tokens, exchange them for a Terror. When you gain a card from the supply, return this."

and see if that works.
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:26:42 pm »
+2

Except it'll rarely actually carry over to next turn because you usually buy cards after playing actions.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 07:47:15 pm »

Thanks to Sign Error on Reddit - moving dread's trigger, and combining both halves made sense.

wait a second, never mind. This doesn't count Night cards very often. I'll have to think about whether or not I really want to include it now.

Yeah, it's fine. I should really playtest dread & terror at some point.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:03:11 am by Builder_Roberts »

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 10:12:06 pm »
+1

Inquisitor comboes with the discard reaction cards (tunnel, trail, weaver and village green). Maybe it should trash itself if it fails to find the named card.
Who trashes the trashers?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 20 queries.