Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Donate "first"  (Read 998 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Donate "first"
« on: July 21, 2022, 09:40:57 am »

Now Donate tells us to resolve its Durative effect first.

Haunted Woods and Swamp Hug tell us to end its Attack at the start of our next turn (before desiding which Durative effect to resolve first).

Which one wins? I assume Haunted  Woods win and SECOND we resolve Donate.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Donate "first"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 01:11:08 pm »
+1

Now Donate tells us to resolve its Durative effect first.

Haunted Woods and Swamp Hug tell us to end its Attack at the start of our next turn (before desiding which Durative effect to resolve first).

Which one wins? I assume Haunted  Woods win and SECOND we resolve Donate.
Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods wear off first somehow.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 01:14:54 pm »

* Unlike other "start of turn" effects (such as Archive or Clerk), Donate happens first. So if you have any Clerks in your starting hand, you can't play them until you finish Donating.
* Regardless of what your original hand size was, you draw 5 cards after trashing.
   - just pulled from the wiki

The “first” on Donate means it has a separate, earlier trigger than all other start of turn triggers/effects, including Haunted Woods +3 cards. But maybe I’m not understanding the question?
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:45:28 pm »

* Unlike other "start of turn" effects (such as Archive or Clerk), Donate happens first. So if you have any Clerks in your starting hand, you can't play them until you finish Donating.
* Regardless of what your original hand size was, you draw 5 cards after trashing.
   - just pulled from the wiki

The “first” on Donate means it has a separate, earlier trigger than all other start of turn triggers/effects, including Haunted Woods +3 cards. But maybe I’m not understanding the question?

Haunted Woods has 2 effects: at the start of your next turn, +3 Cards; until the start of your next turn, attack other players. Donald has already told us the second effect happens directly after starting turn;  before deciding which effect like playing Clerk or drawing 3 cards happens first.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 01:12:00 am »
+3

I’ve always interpreted “until” as being a separate thing from setting up a future trigger. That is to say “until your next turn, X” is different than “starting now, X. At the start of your next turn, stop X”. So when it becomes your next turn, Haunted Wood simply instantly stops; it doesn’t set up a trigger to handle the stopping of Haunted Woods, where you treat it like other triggers that you can order and such. It’s just a statement of fact, it is currently your next turn so Haunted Wood’s time is over.

Same with “this turn” stuff. It’s not setting up something where at the end of turn you handle the trigger to stop doing it. Rather it simply means that it doesn’t work anymore if it isn’t still this turn.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 01:13:29 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 05:06:05 am »
+2

Just to restate what Gendo said.
"At the start of your turn" is a triggered ability. Out of all those triggered abilities, Donate is first.
When you begin resolving "start of turn" triggered abilities, your turn has started already. This means that all abilities that lasted "until your next turn" are over.

So it's
1) Your turn starts (meaning your Action phase starts)
2) Resolve "start of turn" abilities

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 09:20:13 am »

Just to restate what Gendo said.
"At the start of your turn" is a triggered ability. Out of all those triggered abilities, Donate is first.
When you begin resolving "start of turn" triggered abilities, your turn has started already. This means that all abilities that lasted "until your next turn" are over.

So it's
1) Your turn starts (meaning your Action phase starts)
2) Resolve "start of turn" abilities

Now I  see. Thanks!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.