Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anime Dominon; huhwhat!?  (Read 5173 times)

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Anime Dominon; huhwhat!?
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »

http://lthemachine.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/more-official-animud-versions-of-dominion/

To be honest it's a bit refreshing to see alternative design solutions for Dominion cards. The original design works fine, but its use of Times New Roman is too grave of a sin for me to let stand. And that's not even mentioning how overloads of text are so poorly dealt with... The way Trade Route and Horse Traders almost touch the top and bottom of the box makes me cry with claustrophobia. And the overall approach in presentation is a bit overly conservative and undynamic.

That being said, as I look through the Touhou-themed deck, it really rustles my jimmies to see waifish, big-eyed, supernatural school girls, mikos, and maids standing in for Dominion cards:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1006986/touhou-shisouroku-touhou-koumakyou-hen

It also makes me wonder if the folks at Hobby Japan knew what they were doing when they decided to include Thief and Bureaucrat in its "base set", and Explorer in its expansion, but left out Throne Room and didn't include Chapel until its expansion:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/642213/list-of-the-cards-including-what-dominions-they-c
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/760430/touhou-youyoumu-expansion-cards-listing

I can't say much for the other 2 rethemes since there isn't much out there about them that's written in English.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Dominon; huhwhat!?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:04 pm »

Quote from: donaldx
Here is the story of this thing from my perspective, and an additional bit of information.

The company that makes Dominion in Japan wanted to do a rethemed [Touhou] version. They thought it would be better for their uh market. We said okay. They rethemed it. They wanted to replace some cards. I said they could, but only with published cards from other expansions. I didn't want to have to playtest new cards, or to let new cards I hadn't playtested go out under the Dominion brand. They picked a few cards to replace and I okayed their final list. So those choices were theirs and I can't tell you why they picked them.

I expect if it's successful they'll do an expansion, but don't know what expansion they might pick as a base, how many cards it would have, etc.

The other thing I can tell you is that I was given a copy, and it says on the side (I'm paraphrasing as I don't have it in front of me), "Not for sale/export outside Japan." This isn't something we required and I don't know why it says that or how enforceable it is or what have you. It says it though.

Just for reference about the card choices. One can only imagine they thought there were balance issues, or something, or otherwise couldn't fit in relevant cards for them?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:26:06 pm »

Just for reference about the card choices. One can only imagine they thought there were balance issues, or something, or otherwise couldn't fit in relevant cards for them?

Perhaps they were just choosing whatever would fit their established characters the best? I saw somewhere else that Chancellor (another unexciting card) was represented by a stupid character, because the near-uselessness of putting your deck in the discard is remniscent of what that character would do.

And on a completely different note (but in the same post to avoid spamming): There's a promo card already! It's Apprentice without the reference to potion costs:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/653799/ok-what-is-this-card-its-not-in-my-set

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »

Having played Touhou before, I don't really think there is much in the way of thematic relevance between card name and function. But certainly, Touhou is very popular in Japan, and I can imagine that it will appeal to a wide player base that wouldn't play or hear of Dominion otherwise.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:57 pm »

Yeah, most of the cards don't correspond to characters.

Although of course Yukari represents Chapel. Always have to be OP, don't you?
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:14 am »

A friend of mine has these.  The retheme is fun, although I think I got the most enjoyment out of trying to figure out which card is which without knowing Japanese.

That said, I still think my Anime Dominion expansion is better...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »

How and where do I get these cards? How much money? These are official, correct? If so, then I must have!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:01:47 pm »

Well, they're official in that Donald/RGG gave somebody in Japan permission to do it.

Also, according to that post of Donald's, it's only available in Japan.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:37:21 am »

Well, they're official in that Donald/RGG gave somebody in Japan permission to do it.

Also, according to that post of Donald's, it's only available in Japan.

Yah, but there must be some way to get them imported into the US. Does anyone know of any online retailers in Japan selling those that will ship to the US?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

You can find some up for auction at amazon.co.jp. I'm not sure what is their policy on shipping to the US, though.

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »

I encountered the Nitro+ one of these at an anime con recently. I didn't pick them up (they wanted USD $100 for something that was originally JPY ¥5300 or something) but I'm looking at getting a copy sometime.

The import site I usually use for Japanese card games and goods only seems to have Vol. 2, the "Majide Watashi ni Koishinasai! D" one. I'm not too big on that series so I probably won't get it, but looking at the preview cards was kind of amusing:

This one is Mountebank
Rabble
Militia
Oasis (warning: sorta NSFW)

It looks like it would be about $66+international shipping to get it. Oh, and the set includes 12 blank cards (interesting).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.