Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: crazy fun game with Contraband, Horn of Plenty, and lots of alternate VP  (Read 1170 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-190826-452e6846.html

With Contraband as the only +buy, Contraband/Gardens is tempting - only problem is it makes it hard to actually get those Gardens. Likewise, Contraband/Vineyards sort of telegraphs the buy. But there are so many different alternate VPs it's like a constant mind game. You can also use the HOPs to circumvent Contraband, but if you use them on Victory Points, they're one shots.

I thought that I'd do better to skip Vineyards and focus on my Gardens. I was wrong.

Anyway, just posting it because it's the most interesting game I've played in a while and I thought others might want to try a version of this set up.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile

It looks like a fun game.  I wonder if Courtyard/money would have ended up beating both of you, though.  A quick fiddle with the built-in bot in Geronimoo's simulator to make it buy 4 Gold before Province and ignore Duchies and Estates has it empty the Province pile on turn 22-23 on average, for 51 points.  Lady Heidi won your game with 54 on turn 24, and there were no attacks in play and no real competition over the Provinces.

Still, would have been close, and your way was definitely more fun.  Cool game!

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's a good point! It was hard to resist all the alt-VP possibilities, though.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile

Scheme/pirate might beat the courtyards so yes, an interesting set.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.047 seconds with 21 queries.