Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inspired by Flavor Text  (Read 993 times)

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
Inspired by Flavor Text
« on: May 11, 2022, 05:35:38 am »

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to invent cards, landscapes or mechanisms which imitate pieces of expansion flavour text.

The flavour texts are funny. "All you ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by. And someone who knows how to steer ships using stars." Ok, so I think we need a card called "Tall Ship", maybe in a split pile along with "Star". But they're both pretty useless until you also get "Someone Who Knows How To Steer Ships Using Stars", which might be another card in the split pile, or a Project. Or maybe "Star" should be a Landmark, that might be appropriate.

Let's really go for flavour here, and maybe humour. Or flavor and humor if you prefer. If you end up with a well-balanced card or mechanism that's a bonus.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Inspired by Flavor Text
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 10:47:38 am »
+1

From the base set Flavour:
Unlike your parents, however, you have hopes and dreams! You want a bigger and more pleasant kingdom, with more rivers and a wider variety of trees.

So, here is the Hopes and Dreams mechanism/landscape.

EDIT 25th May - removing this attempt; I don't like it and the one in post #3 is better.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:32:52 am by infangthief »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 11:18:31 am »
+1

Your parents wouldn’t be proud, but your grandparents, on your mother's side, would be delighted.

Sounds like we need some reaction cards.

Maternal Grandfather
$2 Reaction
When you gain a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand for +2 Coffers.
Maternal Grandmother
$2 Reaction
When you play an Attack card, you may first discard this from your hand for +1VP.

There we go, pure Reactions, they are delighted in your Dominioneering and reward you appropriately.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:33:24 am by infangthief »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 05:20:38 am »

Having another go at the Hopes and Dreams stuff.

Unlike your parents, however, you have hopes and dreams! You want a bigger and more pleasant kingdom, with more rivers and a wider variety of trees.

If your parents are not playing, you may add Hopes and Dreams to the game.

Hopes are extra Action cards added to the game:
  • Setup: randomly select 4 different unused Kingdom Action cards costing up to $4. These are the Hopes. Each player takes one copy of each Hope and lays them out face-up on their Hopes mat.
  • Hopes are not in the Supply, but they may cause extra Supply piles to be added (eg Bane or Ruins) and they may trigger additional Setup (eg a Black Market deck).
Dreams are landscapes that give you special effects to do with Hopes. There are 4 different Dreams: "Bigger Kingdom", "More Pleasant Kingdom", "More Rivers" and "Wider Variety of Trees":
  • Setup: Each player takes a copy of each Dream.
  • Each player may activate each Dream once during the game. All Dreams are inactive at the start of the game.
  • If you have no active Dreams, you may activate one at the end of your Buy phase by taking a Hope from your Hopes mat and putting it on the Dream.
  • Your Dream remains active for as long as the Hope remains on it.
  • While your Dream is active, the effect on it applies. When it refers to "your Hope" it means the Hope card that is on it.
  • When the Hope is removed (due to the Dream's effect), your Dream becomes inactive and you should turn it face down as a reminder that it may not be used again this game.
  • You may not have more than one active Dream at a time.

Here is the Hopes mat, for storing your hopes while you wait for your dreams to start, with a reminder of how to use your Hopes to activate your Dreams.

And here are the Dreams:

Bigger Kingdom
Dream
During your turns, your Hope is a Supply pile.
More Pleasant Kingdom
Dream
The next time you play an Attack card, instead of following its instructions, trash it and play your Hope twice.
More Rivers
Dream
When another player buys a Victory card you may put your Hope into your hand.
Wider Variety of Trees
Dream
When you discard from play two same-named cards, other than Coppers, you may trash one to topdeck your Hope.

"Bigger Kingdom" simply makes the Kingdom bigger. By 1 card - dream big, no? Mostly it just lets you buy/gain the card once and then the Dream is over. But there is some trickery - another player may be able to gain it instead of you. On your turn of course. Or, if you can get someone else's copy of the Hope, then you could start doing wacky things that require you to return a copy to the Supply. Like, who knows, getting a Traveller line going. Anyway, once the Dream is over then it is no longer a Supply pile, so it doesn't help with 3-piling.

"More Pleasant Kingdom" converts one of your Attack cards into a throned Hope card. Maybe you're done with Attacking. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone else was too? Of course it is always possible that your Hope is even meaner than the Attack you trashed. But mostly the idea is to just remove an Attack card and be more pleasant.

"More Rivers" is inspired by Road Network. You are at the mercy of another play buying a Victory card, so you might be stuck dreaming of rivers for a little while.

And "Wider Variety of Trees" just increases your variety a little bit. It doesn't let you trash a Copper or that would too often be a no-brainer in the opening.

So there we go. One Hope per Dream and one Dream per Hope. Match them up how you like, one at a time, any order. Dream on.

EDIT 16th May, rearranged and rewritten some of the comments.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:33:59 am by infangthief »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:46:51 am »

The steward smiles at you like he has a secret, or like he thinks you have a secret, or like you think he thinks you have a secret.

Love this text. How can someone smile at you like you think something?!

So here's Smiling Steward, a variation on normal Steward that comes with a Secret artifact.

Smiling Steward
$3 Action
Choose one: +2 Cards; or +$2; or trash 2 cards from your hand.
If you have the Secret, set this aside on it. Otherwise, take the Secret.
Secret
Artifact
Smiling Stewards you play do 2 of the options.
----
When you take this, discard the cards from it.

You play a Smiling Steward. He's just like a normal Steward, but now you have a Secret. That's good isn't it? Well, maybe. Now your Smiling Stewards do more for you, but they've become one-shots. Was that his secret or yours? Worse still, your opponent can steal the Secret with their own Smiling Steward, and get all your Smiling Stewards too. But maybe you can get them back. All you need is another Smiling Steward...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:48:24 am by infangthief »

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 12:54:26 am »
+1

Quote from: Donald X. Vaccarino
Your physician heals himself, and your barber cuts his own hair. This is truly a golden age.
  - Dominion: Renaissance

What else to do than a trasher that trashes itself. Like Doctor, this doesn't trash from your hand by default. You get some search space depending on how far you are into the shuffle. If for some reason those remaining junk cards seem to be stuck in your hand, Physician's got you covered too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01:04:42 am by MochaMoko »

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 11:10:23 pm »
+1

Quote from: Donald X. Vaccarino
The guilds cover everything - ironic tilling, butchering, baking, candlestick making, shoemaking, cheesemaking, cheese destruction.
- Dominion: Guilds

Cheesemaker
④ Action - Duration
Now and at the start of each
of your turns, you may set
aside a Treasure from your
hand face up. If you don't,
discard a Treasure set aside
by this to gain a Gold.
Cheese Destroyer
③ Action - Duration
Trash a card from your
hand. Gain a Silver per ①
it costs, setting them aside.
At the start of each of your
turns while any remain,
discard one of them for +①.

We got a shoemaker at some point, but we're still missing the last two. Something tells me we're not going to get a card called Cheese Destroyer. Rats is close, but.
Anyways Cheesemaker I guess ferments Coppers into Gold (it's yellow)? Look I don't have so much to work with here okay. And then Cheese Destroyer, well, I decided to whip up something quick cause why not, but it's not really that special with Gold other than Gold is expensive. If I think of something better I'll update it. The Alchemist has a card (Aqua Regia from Alchemy: Reforged http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20753.0) that cares about trashing Golds, it might be able to be reflavored as Cheese Destroyer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:12:06 pm by MochaMoko »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 10:56:52 pm »
+1

Quote from: Empires
you have a food taster, who tastes anything before you eat it, and a dagger tester, who get stabbed by anything before it stabs you.

Food Taster
Action - Reaction - $2
Exile a card from your hand. If you have 5 or more cards in Exile, discard or trash any number of them and trash this.
-
When you gain a card, you may reveal this to Exile the gained card.

Dagger Tester
Action - Reaction - $3
Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply. If you have 4 or more cards in Exile, discard or trash any number of them and trash this.
-
When one of your cards is trashed, you may reveal this from your hand to Exile it.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 10:22:49 am »
+2

Quote from: Cornucopia
Agriculture has advanced significantly in recent years, ever since the discovery of the maxim, "leaves of three, let it be."

I realised my Trefoils mechanism is already a "leaves of three" thing. Here is a Trefoil specially designed for this quote:

Poison Ivy
Trefoil
When you gain a Trefoil card, reveal your discard pile. If it contains a complete set of Trefoil cards, each other player gains a Curse.
(Trefoil cards are Action cards from three Action Supply piles marked with tokens during setup. "Complete set of Trefoil cards" means a card from each of the three piles.)

Blizihguh

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 10:18:05 pm »
+1

Honestly, when a new expansion comes out, I'm just as excited for new flavor text as I am for new cards...!

Quote from: Allies
The barbarians are uncouth; they have no five-second rule and stick out the wrong finger when drinking tea.

I guess the five-second rule isn't really an "ally" in the traditional sense, but listen, they can't all be the most flavorful landscape ever. Traditionally in Dominion, things go in player order, but I like "first come, first serve" here.

Quote from: Renaissance
Science and medicine have advanced; there's no more superstition, now they know the perfect number of leeches to apply for each ailment.

It turns out the right number of leeches is one per three ailments.

And finally, the best card I'll ever design...
Quote from: Guilds
So now everyone’s joining a guild, learning a craft, and working on a masterpiece - a painting so beautiful it blinds you, or a cheese grater so amazing that you never eat cheese again.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.