Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cheap, double-edged curser  (Read 2274 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Cheap, double-edged curser
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:17:23 am »

I did some digging in this sub-forum and found that the idea of self-cursing is not a new one, but I had a thought about a new, perhaps simpler, double-edged curser that doesn't involve curse tokens. Let me know what you think!

Black Magic - $3
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player gains a curse.

-------------------------------

When you gain this card, gain a curse.

This is purely an idea, no playtesting at all, but it calls for some interesting decisions. A potential problem is that, unlike a lot of other attacks, it would be a pretty bad idea to pick up a black magic in reaction to an opponent's repeated use. You either get it right up front (or at least beat everyone else to the punch) or find a different way to deal with the curses. Because, if you wait until your opponent has cursed you three times and then pick one up, half the curses (in 2 player) are already gone with 4/5 in your deck. This doesn't give you much hope for a favorable split even if your deck has the potential to play it a lot. I'm not sure if this is a strike against the card or an interesting part of the decision making, though. Also, should it be priced at four? I think the curse-on-gain seems like a pretty heavy punishment as it is, especially if you want to gain a couple/few to spam them, but it is dang powerful for a curser. My last concern is that it's just too much like familiar. It definitely has its own set of decisions and is a lot tougher to spam because each one you buy makes your deck that much worse, but maybe the cantrip curser thing is already done/too hated?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap, double-edged curser
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:45 am »

Actually, it might be better at $2. It's a very strong card, agreed, but $3 looks unfair in favor of a 4/3 split. On a 5/2 split, you'd be almost forced to ignore this card and eat 8 curses (the other player gains the first 2).

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:34 am »

Interesting card. Would combo well with Watchtower in hand.

Odd thing about it is that if you draw it, you'd play it, as you'd want to replace it with another card, but until curses run low you don't gain any advantage from it.

Personally I'd make it $4, and give it +$1 as well.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:58:26 am »

I feel this card is too strong to pass up and that wouldn't be good for the game.
Familiar is 3P which is like $5+. It's more than strictly $5 because the Potion could be a Silver, but you have to line up the Potion as well for added difficulty.

So would a handicapped Familiar be $3? I don't think so. It's probably closer to $4 or even $5.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:18:06 am »

$4.  It fits in the category of cards that are too powerful to be a double opening.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »

In order to mitigate the 5/2 vs 4/3 opening issues, what if the card was $6 and gave +$2? That would make it pretty unique in terms of cursing cards. It would look very weak with other cursers present until the curses are gone, and then it's nearly a grand market. Without other cursers though, it's a good--maybe too good--curser with those numbers.

I'm in no way stuck on the specifics of this card. But do you guys think there is a viable way of making a cursing attack that curses the user upon gain?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 02:30:18 pm »

I think it would be good as it is originally at $4. Compare to Sea Hag, for instance. Sea Hag gives you a "dead" card (Sea Hag itself, which doesn't give the user any direct benefits) in exchange for a powerful curser. This card also gives you a dead card (a curse) in exchange for a powerful curser. Unlike Sea Hag, this card doesn't collide, but the curse doesn't go on top of the deck either. Sea Hag also kind of screws 5/2 openings but that's life sometimes. Then again, Sea Hag is the most powerful $4 card and you might not want a card that powerful...

Another idea I have is

Brown Magic - $5
Action
+1 card
+1 action
---
When you gain this, you gain two coppers.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »

I misread the downside as when you play this card gain a curse. Silly me.

Ignore my previous comment then.

I think its definitely interesting when you have cards that have a low cost for a decent effect but with a penalty on gaining. I'm still trying to work out how to use Cache.

Speaking of Cache, I'd observe that Brown Magic seems a lot stronger than Cache. In fact, it seems pretty powerful compared to Witch.

How about, as an alternative double edge

Blood Magic - $5
Action
Discard your hand
+1 card
+1 action

There'd be lots of neat combos to mitigate the downside, or even turn it into a boon, but it'd still be a strong attack card.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:40:04 pm by Asklepios »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:59 pm »

In order to mitigate the 5/2 vs 4/3 opening issues, what if the card was $6 and gave +$2? That would make it pretty unique in terms of cursing cards. It would look very weak with other cursers present until the curses are gone, and then it's nearly a grand market. Without other cursers though, it's a good--maybe too good--curser with those numbers.

I'm in no way stuck on the specifics of this card. But do you guys think there is a viable way of making a cursing attack that curses the user upon gain?
I like this idea.

The problem with $5 cost cursers is that one player can take an early lead due to a lucky shuffle. Don't you hate it when your opponent can open Mountebank/Chapel?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.