Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Week #35: Getting Sneaky  (Read 3963 times)

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Week #35: Getting Sneaky
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2022, 10:40:27 pm »
+1

Infiltrator - $3
Action - Sneak
+1 Action
+1 Card
-
Sneak: Put all other infiltrators you have in play into your hand
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:11:47 am by Freddy10 »
Who trashes the trashers?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2022, 11:48:15 pm »
+1

Infiltrator - $3
Action - Sneak
+1 Action
+1 Card
-
Sneak: Put all other ninjas you have in play into your hand

I didn't see this post before you edited it, but I assume you changed the name. The Sneak effect still says Ninjas instead of Infiltrators.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 12:12:54 am »

Infiltrator - $3
Action - Sneak
+1 Action
+1 Card
-
Sneak: Put all other ninjas you have in play into your hand

I didn't see this post before you edited it, but I assume you changed the name. The Sneak effect still says Ninjas instead of Infiltrators.
Thanks, I changed it.
Who trashes the trashers?

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 02:46:42 am »

Contest closes in 24 hours.
Seems like enough time for me to change my mind 3 times... :-\
Surveyor (post #27) is my latest greatest actual submission :)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 10:51:51 pm »
+4

Thank you all for your entries. There were a lot of rules questions about this mechanic. This makes me think it perhaps might be too complicated. I still like it, though, in part because of how simple the implementation is: no tokens or mats, just another card type and color. Either way, there were a lot of good ideas here.

Trapper by Joxeft
This can do lots of useful things, and I think it's probably too strong as a result. The Sneak ability also feels redundant since one of the Action abilities is gaining a card costing up to $4, which could be a Trapper. In the beginning the decision will be between trashing or gaining more Trappers, but it seems to me that you should always choose gaining Trappers until the pile empties out. Maybe if this could gain anything costing up to $4 except a Trapper, that would be interesting.

Maze by jakav
Simplicity is always good. The top part doesn't feel interesting enough, though. The Action part is what the card is usually going to be, and a cantrip +Buy doesn't make much of an impact. I think +VP is a good idea for a Sneak, it's a way to implement non-terminal +VP but restrict its power. Is 2 VP instead of 1 VP broken? It's the same as Rebuilding an Estate into a Duchy, but Rebuild is broken in other ways, such as how it can empty the Province pile.

Marcher Lord by UltimateGeek
Fun fact: My Jackpot thread had this exact same card, but with a different name. Great minds think alike, I guess. So yeah, the fact that I already came up with this idea is a good indication that I like it. The main struggle I had, and still have, with the idea is that it's difficult to balance. If there are no Villages, then you can play a maximum of two of these, and since the Sneak play decreases your hand size, then you only managed to increase your hand size by one overall. Of course, Ghost Ship is an official card that only gives you one extra card while decreasing everyone else's hands, but... it's also one of the most hated cards in the game. I guess only playtesting could tell if this idea is actually fun.

War Engineers by Xen3k
The main problem with the idea of the Sneak as a super Lab is that you'd pretty much always want to use it at the beginning of your turn. This solves that by making it so that it's only a super Lab if you first spend an action playing a crummy Woodcutter, which leads to interesting decisions. Of course, maybe you really want that Villager instead, that's another interesting decision to make. This seems like a pretty good opening card, since it can provide economy, or give a Villager if it collides with another terminal. Most plays of it will just be the crummy Woodcutter though, so you probably don't want too many of them. Overall I like it, it looks like a lot of fun while not being too complicated.

Secret Village/Secret Church/Secret Storehouse/Secret Realm by emtzalex
Adding a Sneak to a rotating split pile is a good idea, and one that didn't occur to me. It mitigates the problem of "I only get the cool Sneak ability once per turn, and the rest of the time the card is boring" when the pile itself has more than one card. And, as you pointed out, it adds the interesting decision of which Sneak ability to use. As for the cards themselves, they all work as split pile cards in that you don't want too many copies of them, with the exception of course being Secret Village. I guess Blacksmith is a thing, but Secret Village still feels pretty sad. One other thing is that the use of the word "Sneak" on these cards is ambiguous, I can't tell if it's referring only to cards in the pile or any card with the Sneak type.

Retainer by spineflu
Wow, props for wacky colors! It took me a bit to figure out how this worked, but now that I understand it I like it. The Leprechaun-like Sneak ability looks like it would be a lot of fun. The Night ability also synergizes with the Sneak in a nice way by removing cards from play. If you pull off the Sneak earlier though you'll have a better chance of playing the gained card on the same chance you gained it. Basically, this is one of those rare fan cards where its crazy color scheme is actually justified.

Surveyor by infangthief
I really like this idea, but as it is it definitely seems broken. The card is a Peddler, so its pile is very likely to run out, which would get you a Province for only 1 Debt. Is there a way to fix this? I think changing the top part so that the pile is less likely to run out would be a start. By the way, I really liked your earlier entry, Replica. I would change it so that it only gains 1 Copper, gaining 2 Coppers seems too harsh.

Daggersmith by Timinou
The top part is a nice twist on terminal draw. The Sneak part is also nice, it plays with the fact that the Sneak ability can be played at any time by allowing Action, Treasure or Night cards to be picked, and the fact that it's only once a turn still forces you to buy those other cards instead of just buying more Daggersmiths. My main problem with this is that the top and bottom parts don't synergize with each other. I also think I'd like the Sneak better if it had the Crown restriction of "if it's your X phase, you may play an X", but that might use too many words.

Infiltrator by Freddy10
Another simple one. This one offers some good tactical decisions. Do I use the Sneak now, or do I wait and see if I draw more Infiltrators? The ones you end up not reusing definitely feel sad, though, since they're just bare cantrips. I think if you put on +$1 and then upped the price to $5 or $6 it would be a really cool card.

Honorable mention: Secret pile by emtzalex
Runner-up: War Engineers by Xen3k
Winner: Retainer by spineflu
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:04:10 am by Commodore Chuckles »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2022, 11:03:41 am »
+2

I'm actually gonna hand off to Xen3k here, having trouble coming up with a mechanic - seems like I've been thinking up mechanics and then following through until I arrive at "what if I just played a game that wasn't dominion"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:09:32 pm by spineflu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2022, 12:17:05 pm »
+1

I completely commiserate with your designers block spineflu. I'll try and have something up later today or tomorrow.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2022, 10:34:20 pm »
+2

I made a few more of these:

Underground City • $5 • Action - Sneak
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
Discard 2 cards.

Sneak: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

Sneak Attack • $5 • Sneak - Attack
Each other player may reveal up to 3 Sneak or Reaction cards from their hand. If they do, they discard the rest, otherwise, they discard down to one card in hand. Each player draws to 3 cards in hand.

Dark Priest • $5 • Action - Sneak
+3 Cards
+1 Action
You may gain a Curse to your hand. If you didn't, discard 4 cards.

Sneak: Return up to 3 Curses from your hand to the Supply.

Forbidden Tome • $5 • Treasure - Sneak
$2

Sneak: +2 Cards

Woodworker • $4 • Action - Sneak
Gain a card costing up to $4.

Sneak: Trash up to 2 cards from your hand that each share a type with any card you've gained this turn.

Secret Witch • $4 • Action - Attack - Sneak
+$2
Choose one: +1 Action; or +1 Buy.

Sneak: Each other player gains a Curse.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.