Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss - Sycophant  (Read 1352 times)

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss - Sycophant
« on: March 18, 2022, 12:48:16 am »
+1

Let's discuss Sycophant, with 23 possible allies it's 23 cards in one! Which one will it be this time? A trasher that trashes itself? A way to get coins awarded on every buy phase? Or is it a Victory point card?

• Which Allies make you want to pick this card?
  • Do any Allies make you run this without trashing?
  • What situations make it worth buying for its effect when played?

One Ally that makes me run a copy of this without trashing is Circle of Witches.

Buying a single copy of Sycophant will allow you to curse the opponent once which is certainly worse than having a Sycophant in their deck. This is one ally where I might be more inclined to take a Sycophant without trashing on the board.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss - Sycophant
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 02:05:18 am »

It was only a friendly game, but I did have it work out decently for me in one game so far…I was going for League of Bankers, and I think Exorcist was the only trashing in the kingdom. Arena was also there, so I had a small benefit for not playing or trashing Sycophant. I picked it up when I hit 2 a couple times early on, and getting 4 favors and a wisp out of it was good. There was also Underling, so it wasn’t the only source of favors. Going forward, anytime I really want several favors (League of Bankers, Island Folk, etc.) and there is any easy way to trash them, I think I will consider Sycophant. I think it’s risky to go for if you can’t trash it—often not being able to play it for a useful effect hurts it’s usefulness quite a bit. Compare it to Lackeys, which has a better on-play effect.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 02:24:29 am »
+2

Way of the Chameleon would turn Sycophant into a non-terminal sifter, like a less flexible Cellar

It's also nice with cards like Village Green and Tunnel, and of course, draw-to-X or Minion
They/them

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 02:46:16 am »
+1

Way of the Chameleon would turn Sycophant into a non-terminal sifter, like a less flexible Cellar

It's also nice with cards like Village Green and Tunnel, and of course, draw-to-X or Minion
Good points but minion only draws to 4 so you would have to discard everything else to play it after minion. Could be quite good if you played it from an opening hand of 5 I suppose but it’s probably unreliable.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 03:14:19 am »

Good points but minion only draws to 4 so you would have to discard everything else to play it after minion. Could be quite good if you played it from an opening hand of 5 I suppose but it’s probably unreliable.

Well, you could play it after Minion, but I meant playing Sycophant then Minion, so you get the +$3 plus a new hand of 4 cards
They/them

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 03:21:25 am »

Well, you could play it after Minion, but I meant playing Sycophant then Minion, so you get the +$3 plus a new hand of 4 cards

Yeah at first glance it sounded good for Minion. But then I realized that in a typical Minion engine (which likes a lot of Action-money — disappearing or cantrip) you’ll probably play the Sycophant as only the first and/or last Action in the chain. It doesn’t work at any other point. But not terrible, I suppose.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 04:31:41 am »
+2

The effect of Sycophant is good in most situations where the effect of Artificer is good. So mostly overdraw engines like Scrying Pool or City Quarter, but also draw-to-X (for X > 4).

Of course unlike Artificer, Sycophant also requires +Buy.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:33:01 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 08:27:17 am »
+2

I had one game with sycophant and swap, which was not technically trashing, but a very very useful interaction. I think almost all allies are good with it then.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 01:28:23 pm »

If City-state is your Ally, then Sycophant can be a makeshift Borrow (need a spare buy).
If Architects’ Guild is your Ally, well you just have a sad nombo. (Either gain a Copper/Poor House on the front end, or save 2¢ on the Sycophant on the back end. Yippee.)
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.