Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 414418 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #425 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:52 am »
+3

Well, you don't have to throw them in the OP just yet, but putting together a mockup of a new card always gets people excited.

Fair enough. Here are some I managed to make today. More to follow.

Those are all good points. It just feels like it would run into some type of Diadem problem, where pricing it high enough that it doesn't become degenerate makes it worthless on full random boards.

One thing that sounds interesting; you could make the silver-gaining a Token ability, but use "While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, gain a Trade Token" instead of the usual free token as soon as you gain it. (Alternately, you could keep it as the action, and have the token ability gain a few silvers to hand.) I saw that clause in this thread a few pages back, and I think it's worth building a card around.

I want to maybe try the current version of Windfall once before I try to change it, but I think I'll also try that version of Cathedral I posted a while back that gained tokens when you bought a Victory card. Thanks for reminding me!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:54:00 pm by LastFootnote »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:39 am »
+1

In the OP lodge says "+1$ for each card revealed" is there a reason it's cards discarded? Feels strange to count something I did earlier.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 09, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »
+2

Thanks for these updated cards! I'm about to make a second set of the entire expansion for a friend, so I plan to print these updated ones now. Would you be able to post the higher resolution images (as in the first post)? They look much nicer at full res when I print them.

Looks like I'm going to need more sleeves...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 09, 2014, 10:55:07 pm »

Thanks for these updated cards! I'm about to make a second set of the entire expansion for a friend, so I plan to print these updated ones now. Would you be able to post the higher resolution images (as in the first post)? They look much nicer at full res when I print them.

Looks like I'm going to need more sleeves...

I have added Conscripts and Cathedral, and linked them all to higher-res images. Disclaimer: These versions have had zero testing!

Thanks as always for the interest and support!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 10, 2014, 12:32:15 am »

Huh. Buy victory cards to trash? that's new. As you know, I love conditional trashing, so naturally I'm pretty excited about it, much more so than about Auction (I still don't think that one's worth making tbh). It has really cool art, too. I hope it works out.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 10, 2014, 12:56:25 am »
+1

Huh. Buy victory cards to trash? that's new. As you know, I love conditional trashing, so naturally I'm pretty excited about it, much more so than about Auction (I still don't think that one's worth making tbh). It has really cool art, too. I hope it works out.

Well, you can't please everybody all of the time! :) I think Auction looks slick. Maybe not a power card, but different enough and useful in several situations.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 10, 2014, 01:44:05 am »
+1

I could see picking up a single mid-game Auction, or maybe more than one in a low-cost alt VP board.  You have to somehow draw a bunch of pure Victory cards, I guess.  At the very least, it's an automatic Gardens + Copper as long as there are no discard attacks...

It's a $3 card that you won't want to buy when you're most likely to be getting $3 hands...  And if you're using it for the +buy, you probably needed +buy to be able to get it in the first place...  It's sort of an odd card that might be worth it sometimes, but the price point is sort of self-defeating.  It's bound to be useful against junk attacks, though.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:59 am »
+1

With Cathedral you could seriously rake in the Trade Tokens later in the game. You can set up a village/smithy type engine with Cathedral (which will give you the +buys), and then have a 2nd Megaturn using a single "Guide". I like this - I hope you don't interpret powerful interactions as a bad thing. Indeed a mixed Guide/Cathedral deck is probably better than either card on its own, and I think it's just great that 2 "terminal drawers" can complement each other instead of competing.

Just wondering why it's "When you buy" a victory card, and not "when you gain". Hoard is on-buy but I thought that was just a virtue of being a Treasure. It would be too strong with the old "Craftsman" (get 5 cathedrals in play, then go to town on the colonies), but not with the new one.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:58 pm »
+2

while thinking about a bunch of new ideas yesterday, I realized that I've never actually given a full critique to this set, only about a few specific cards, and I really feel like doing that (also I need to get my mind off football). there will be a lot of praising, but not exclusively.

I've only played with a bunch of them though. doing so has made me think about own ideas and then I rather played with those. but whatever, first impressions aren't completely irrelevant. But I'm very aware that I'm criticizing cards that you know much more about than I. That's the usual dilemma though. Anyway...

Clerk is obviously a great card. It's simple, it's unique, it's interesting, and it's probably balanced, although it's clearly more useful than pearl driver in almost every situation. it's one of the cards that make me think "oh why couldn't I come up with that first"

Jubilee is pretty good I think. it's probably most interesting if you play with several trade token cards. I know that you're one of the guys who likes to do stuff like play with 5base/5enterprise instead of just going full random all the time. but it seems okay even without others. not the most exciting thing ever, but it's nice.

Redistrict is... dunno. I think it's harder to judge than the ones before it. It doesn't look exciting to me, but it's possible that I'd like it more if I played with it.

Barrister is... hm. I don't really know, it might be really fun and satisfying to steal domains. it's another one that's hard to judge. power wise it seems okay in 2player, probably more on the weak side, but much better in 3+.

Gambler is the first card I really dislike. It just seems like adding swinginess just because it's fun and exciting and cool if you're lucky. If it works, it's really strong, about as good as Junk dealer early on and even better later in the game. But if you hit your other t1/2 buy the first time you play it, you probably lost the game right there. eh. I haven't played with it, but that has to be how it goes, right? but well that's just me, the card has 5 stars and you said lots of people like it. you don't have to like every card.

Guide is really cool. I've played a bunch of games with it. something about the card appeals to me even beyond the fact that it's fairly unique and perfectly balanced. maybe it's just that using it twice is so much fun.

Mill Town is amazing. it's probably my favorite fan made card. it's so simple, but it's such a cool concept. I would marry Mill Town if I could  :P

Refurbish is a card that makes me wonder why Donald X hasn't done it. "Trash a card from your hand, gain a silver" almost had to have been considered at some point, and making it a silversmith seems like the perfect bonus to add. Maybe he felt like that area is explored with bank and coppersmith. Anyway, it's a great card. basically a classic. well not really, but it should be.

I'm sceptical about Committee, but that might be cause I never played with it. It just seems really strong. It's also not that unique, it's a terminal silver with a fairly interesting plus. But it's certainly not bad.

Craftsman looks alright. My only concern about it is that it offers you an easy way to get to five without adding terminals or silvers that's (deliberately?) absent from official dominion (well there is feast but feast sucks). It looks like made for SCSN, but I always thought the silver dilemma adds a lot to the game. Uh, dunno. I've played with the old one I think, but not with this version.

Dignitary is good I think. There are already card which try to help with the "terminal draw draws dead actions" dilemma, and this seems like a reasonable take on it. The reaction is cute.

Floodgate is slick! Great card! It makes me jealous. It's another of those "simple cards that are left to make"

The Recruiter/Conscripts concept feels like it's hard to judge (haven't played it, I didn't like it at first glance). It's a card that gets you another card that attacks. Why that detour? well there are certainly some reasons. I don't hate it. It might be great.

Terrace is cool. It's an obvious idea after you have the trade token setup, and it can only make people happy. I instantly liked it, played with it, and it was good as expected.

Vendor sort of seems like a filler. You could probably do lot of variations that would work out, but I guess there's nothing wrong with having one of them around. It seems good, but it doesn't seem to fill an important role.

Axeman is nice. Unique attacks that aren't stupid are always nice. Another thing that could have been done. I certainly think there's space left to explore, Inquisition is inspired by this one, and it's a little bit similar.

Barracks is well what I said about Conscripts. The second option is cute though, and the first option is a good way to make sure the second option can continue to be cute. That probably makes Barracks cute too.

I already commented about Convocation. This card had to be made, and you made it.

Exchange is similar to Redisctrict in appeal. It's a remodel variant, it might be fine, but it's not immediately appealing... I think I played with this once, but I don't remember how it went. I think it was fine.

Fund wipes the floor with Royal Seal and Stash. I think it's about time we get a silver+ for 5$ that doesn't suck. You'll feel much better picking up a Fund if you miss 6$ than you will picking up a Stash. Good card.

General doesn't appeal to me, or maybe I just don't get it. If the throned card isn't a one-shot, it's a sheme+throne room, which is just adding two effects together. If it is, it's a sheme+throne room that's probably kind of broken. Why is that worth making? ???

Lodge is out if I recall correctly. I assume it was uninteresting. Doesn't seem terrible though.

Wheelwright is out too I think? I didn't like it, it's just making it too easy for you. Discarding cards before refilling your hand is something you should work for I think. Was this the reason you dropped it? some other reason?

... and I already commented about Auction and Cathedral.

hey I didn't even praise that much  :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:04:36 pm by silverspawn »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2014, 11:05:43 pm »

Thanks for the full-on critique, silverspawn! I'll respond to a few of the comments, and please forgive me if I'm repeating stuff you've read before.

Jubilee is pretty good I think. it's probably most interesting if you play with several trade token cards. I know that you're one of the guys who likes to do stuff like play with 5base/5enterprise instead of just going full random all the time. but it seems okay even without others. not the most exciting thing ever, but it's nice.

I originally worried that Jubilee wouldn't be bought in games without other Trade token cards, but it turns out it still gets bought a lot, at least in the games I've played with it. So, no worries there!

Barrister is... hm. I don't really know, it might be really fun and satisfying to steal domains. it's another one that's hard to judge. power wise it seems okay in 2player, probably more on the weak side, but much better in 3+.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new $5 version of Barrister. I like that it's a Thief variant that's way less swingy because you always get a Silver. At worst, it's an unactivated Explorer, which you want in a lot of games. Domains mean that even in a game where not much Treasure is bought, there's still a reason to go for it.

Gambler is the first card I really dislike. It just seems like adding swinginess just because it's fun and exciting and cool if you're lucky. If it works, it's really strong, about as good as Junk dealer early on and even better later in the game. But if you hit your other t1/2 buy the first time you play it, you probably lost the game right there. eh. I haven't played with it, but that has to be how it goes, right? but well that's just me, the card has 5 stars and you said lots of people like it. you don't have to like every card.

The thing is that if you hit your other early buy, you're essentially guaranteed a very good hand. It's like buying an early Mining Village to immediately trash for the Coins. And replacing the Gambler is cheap. So it's really not gg if this does happen, at least not in my experience.

Floodgate is slick! Great card! It makes me jealous. It's another of those "simple cards that are left to make"

Thanks! I hope it works at $3. I mean, people sometimes buy it at $4, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

Vendor sort of seems like a filler. You could probably do lot of variations that would work out, but I guess there's nothing wrong with having one of them around. It seems good, but it doesn't seem to fill an important role.

Yeah, I may end up cutting Vendor. Probably I can do better. I like that it's simple, and it plays well. Some people like it. But yeah, not exciting.

Barracks is well what I said about Conscripts. The second option is cute though, and the first option is a good way to make sure the second option can continue to be cute. That probably makes Barracks cute too.

Well, Barracks's main concept is actually the digging for Attack cards. I am considering nerfing Conscripts to +$1.

General doesn't appeal to me, or maybe I just don't get it. If the throned card isn't a one-shot, it's a sheme+throne room, which is just adding two effects together. If it is, it's a sheme+throne room that's probably kind of broken. Why is that worth making? ???

I think scheme + throne room is a natural combo. If it weren't for the one-shot interaction, the card would be dead simple. But the set is full of one-shots. I like the fact that tracking is so easy with General because the card you play twice never gets discarded before General.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:50 am »
+1

I want to maybe try the current version of Windfall once before I try to change it, but I think I'll also try that version of Cathedral I posted a while back that gained tokens when you bought a Victory card. Thanks for reminding me!
That's the card I was thinking of. Heh, I like how the image is from the same perspective as Chapel. At first I thought the trashing could be buffed, but three cards would be awkward and 'up to three' would be really powerful. Probably in a good place as is.

Well, you can't please everybody all of the time! :) I think Auction looks slick. Maybe not a power card, but different enough and useful in several situations.
I've already said I'm on 'team Auction'; it's simple and novel and clever, and not only does it make Floodgate more enticing, it combos with all the draw in this set. I think it's ready to go in the OP.

Just wondering why it's "When you buy" a victory card, and not "when you gain". Hoard is on-buy but I thought that was just a virtue of being a Treasure. It would be too strong with the old "Craftsman" (get 5 cathedrals in play, then go to town on the colonies), but not with the new one.
Probably for the reasons you just posted. It would be weird enough to have a combo that can replenish your tokens before the card is resolved. But you're talking about a combo that would turn "gain a Duchy" into "gain all the Duchies in the Supply". If there's a single alt-VP pile in the supply costing $5 or less, the first person to get a Cathedral and Craftsman in play would end the game instantly and win by a huge margin.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »

Sorry I didn't respond to these questions earlier.

In the OP lodge says "+1$ for each card revealed" is there a reason it's cards discarded? Feels strange to count something I did earlier.

I have no idea. I think "per card discarded" is better!

Well, all similar things are on-buy (Hoard, Merchant Guild, Goons, Hovel, etc.). That's not a great reason, but I just like on-buy here. It feels more natural than on-gain, and it seems easier to remember.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 16, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

I'm going to change Dignitary to use a Horse Traders-like wording so as to avoid Fortress shenanigans. It's clunky and wordy and sad, but I think it needs to be done.

Dignitary
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: 4
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Put any number of them into your hand. +$1 for each card you put back.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, trash a card from your hand and return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:14 pm »
+1

that also changes the powerlevel though, you will have to discard/topdeck one less card against militia/ghost ship.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 16, 2014, 02:06:52 pm »

that also changes the powerlevel though, you will have to discard/topdeck one less card against militia/ghost ship.

This is a sacrifice I am willing to make. :) Hopefully it won't make the card too strong. Discarding Dignitary to trash a single card just seems way too weak. I'd considered discarding it to trash a card and gain a Silver in hand, but the set has enough Silver gaining and that's a lot like Refurbish.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:08:07 pm by LastFootnote »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 16, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »
+2

Hello, I finally got to catch up with this thread and I'm excited for the proposed changes you made. Let's get right to one of my favourite concepts: Barrister and Domain. I really liked the mini-Rabble effect of Barrister. It made it a really nice attack for the early game and the Domain-trashing and -gaining made it way more interesting than Fortune Teller. This new version is definitely better than your other suggestion (only caring about Domains and discarding all the rest). I'm not a fan of Silver-gaining, though. And I think, you should give the 2VP-per-Domain version a try to go with it, to make up for the fact that you are going to buy the $5-Barrister significantly later in the game than the old $3-one which is a good opener.

I totally agree you (or we) should playtest Axeman without the limit. Otherwise, I like the card. I tend to compare it to Saboteur, and Axeman is clearly cooler then that.

Glad you scrubbed Lodge. I played with it, and it felt uncompelling and rarely helpful. I like Cathedral much better!

I'm all for simplicity but the slimmed Conscripts, although powerful, are missing that mean Torturer-spirit they had before. Please try to experiment a little with variants of that. You (or someone) made an alternate suggestion along the lines of "discard to 4 or gain a curse in hand" which I liked.

Windfall never did it for me. I just think Silver gainers are tedious.

Last but not least, I'm pro Auction ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:19:51 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »

I just think Silver gainers are tedious.
that's a phase. it'll pass.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 16, 2014, 02:55:03 pm »

Hello, I finally got to catch up with this thread and I'm excited for the proposed changes you made. Let's get right to one of my favourite concepts: Barrister and Domain. I really liked the mini-Rabble effect of Barrister. It made it a really nice attack for the early game and the Domain-trashing and -gaining made it way more interesting than Fortune Teller. This new version is definitely better than your other suggestion (only caring about Domains and discarding all the rest). I'm not a fan of Silver-gaining, though. And I think, you should give the 2VP-per-Domain version a try to go with it, to make up for the fact that you are going to buy the $5-Barrister significantly later in the game than the old $3-one which is a good opener.

I may try the 2 VP version of Domain at some point, but thinking about it more, I'm back to the opinion that it makes you care about Domains too much. Like, going after them would be mandatory and then whoever got luckiest with Barristers would win. But I'm not ruling it out.

The problem I had with the old Barrister is that it was too wordy and did too many things. Players had to constantly reread it and be reminded to put back their Victory cards and Curses. I'm optimistic that the new version will be easier to remember. Even without Domains, I think it's a better take on Thief, being way less swingy and weak. Domains are still important, though. They make you consider Barrister even in a Treasure-light game.

I agree that it was nice to have a good opening Attack at $3. But on the other hand, a more powerful attack at $5 makes you want to use Barracks' dig-for-attacks function.

I'm all for simplicity but the slimmed Conscripts, although powerful, are missing that mean Torturer-spirit they had before. Please try to experiment a little with variants of that. You (or someone) made an alternate suggestion along the lines of "discard to 4 or gain a curse in hand" which I liked.

The beauty of that for me was making you want to play multiple Conscripts in the same turn (and therefore use Barracks' dig-for-attacks function). But I really don't need the card to be like Torturer. We already have Torturer for that and lots of people hate it. I am strongly considering nerfing Conscripts by making it generate +$1 rather that +$2. I'll test it with Barracks or Recruiter and without trashing or other Attacks. If it's not too weak in that scenario, awesome.

One problem would be that once Curses are gone, your Barracks is pretty much dead. You don't want to gain two one-shot Coppers. Maybe have a non-Attack clause to make them worthwhile. Like, "Each other player gains a Curse. If none of them did, +1 Card." Hmmm…

Windfall never did it for me. I just think Silver gainers are tedious.

I think I have enough Silver gaining with Refurbish, Fund, and new Barrister. Windfall is on the back burner for now. I may or may not ever test it.

Last but not least, I'm pro Auction ;D

Huzzah! I hope it ends up testing well. I like it, too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:56:10 pm by LastFootnote »

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:58 pm »

I'm going to change Dignitary to use a Horse Traders-like wording so as to avoid Fortress shenanigans. It's clunky and wordy and sad, but I think it needs to be done.

Dignitary
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Put any number of them into your hand. +$1 for each card you put back.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, trash a card from your hand and return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.
What Fortress shenanigans exactly did you have in mind? If you used Dignitary to trash a Fortress, it would return to your hand, and the attack would resolve with your hand exactly the same as it was before. If this were Goko, I suppose you could have a problem with trolls trashing their Fortresses infinitely many times, but it's not, and the same issue exists with Secret Chamber (and every Reaction, in principle).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:33 pm »
+1

Dignitary

What Fortress shenanigans exactly did you have in mind? If you used Dignitary to trash a Fortress, it would return to your hand, and the attack would resolve with your hand exactly the same as it was before. If this were Goko, I suppose you could have a problem with trolls trashing their Fortresses infinitely many times, but it's not, and the same issue exists with Secret Chamber (and every Reaction, in principle).

The problem is if you had a hand of 5 Fortresses and a Dignitary. You reveal the Dignitary, you trash it, then you have to trash a Fortress. But you never get down to 4 cards because the Fortress keeps returning to your hand. It's a problem caused by Donald's fairly recent ruling that "discard down to X" means you discard one card at a time until you reach X cards in hand, rather than discarding them all at once.

Yeah, it's obscure and wouldn't be a problem in real-life games, but it irks me to have a card that could potentially create an infinite loop.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 18, 2014, 02:28:48 pm »

Played a 3-player game today with Auction, Floodgate ($3), and Barrister (new $5 version).

Floodgate and Auction are indeed a sweet combo and I pulled that off at least once. It wasn't a great Auction board, though, having no terminal draw and a discard attack. Also, Barristers kept stealing my Auction. But I'm optimistic that it'll work out.

Floodgate at $3 seems great so far. The Floodgates sold out (I bought the last one on the last turn), so I think that's a good sign.

The new Barrister attack seems really solid as a Thief variant. Like, I think it's my favorite Thief-style card. The consolation Silver is clutch. It does make it harder to steal Domains, though. One of my opponents stole the other's Domain early on and that was all the Domain stealing that occurred (despite my efforts to steal them). I'll play more games with it, and if it turns out to be an issue I can remove the Domains from this card, since it works ok without them (and make another, more Domain-centric attack).

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 18, 2014, 04:57:23 pm »
+5

Hey LF if you're still looking for extra cards to fill in missing slots I have a suggestion that fits in pretty well with the one-shot theme. How about a one-shot trasher that itself takes a one-shot resource to gain. You could call it something thematic, like bomb, or something.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 18, 2014, 05:37:31 pm »
+1

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 18, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »

Hey LF if you're still looking for extra cards to fill in missing slots I have a suggestion that fits in pretty well with the one-shot theme. How about a one-shot trasher that itself takes a one-shot resource to gain. You could call it something thematic, like bomb, or something.

I came here to post exactly this. ninja'd before I even thought about it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 18, 2014, 09:49:23 pm »
+3

I came here to post exactly this. ninja'd before I even thought about it.

Take it outside, gentlemen. :) I think that dead horse has been beaten enough.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48  All

Page created in 2.373 seconds with 21 queries.