Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I hope that catapult gets the rotate ability  (Read 1004 times)

Sparafucile

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
I hope that catapult gets the rotate ability
« on: May 30, 2022, 02:19:22 pm »

I’ve been playing through the recommended sets.   Got to a set with battle plan and catapult.    Now catapult is a split pile with rocks as the second 5 cards - and battle plan let’s you rotate any pile.

I’ve played catapult many times - but this is the first time I’ve actually used rocks.    In most games it’s just not worth it to empty like 3 more catapults to get to the rocks beneath them.  Battle plan let’s you rotate them and make them accessible early.   I really hope that catapult gets a rework that lets you optionally rotate the rocks pile.

It might be interesting to have all top cards from split piles get the rotate ability.  I think this would make the piles more interesting - though I think catapult would benefit from this mechanism the most.    The other split piles you often want the top card in multiples anyways - and the one that you might not - gladiator - has a way to burn through the pile.  Having rotate on the gladiator pile might be the only split pile where that option would reduce the strategy - as timing the burn down of gladiators to get the fortune is an interesting part of this pile.   

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Re: I hope that catapult gets the rotate ability
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 03:47:56 am »

I always saw Rocks as a way of making catapult more interesting in games where it's in high demand, not a vital part of how the card works. It doesn't take any space in the set. I would like other cards that are unlikely to pile out (e.g. Chapel) to have interesting cards below them.

As for being able to rotate, in games where it's the only trasher I don't think it's right to be forced to open with it or risk being shut out. It's property Student has as well, but at least that one isn't an attack.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 05:43:31 am »

I’ve been playing through the recommended sets.   Got to a set with battle plan and catapult.    Now catapult is a split pile with rocks as the second 5 cards - and battle plan let’s you rotate any pile.

I’ve played catapult many times - but this is the first time I’ve actually used rocks.    In most games it’s just not worth it to empty like 3 more catapults to get to the rocks beneath them.  Battle plan let’s you rotate them and make them accessible early.   I really hope that catapult gets a rework that lets you optionally rotate the rocks pile.

It might be interesting to have all top cards from split piles get the rotate ability.  I think this would make the piles more interesting - though I think catapult would benefit from this mechanism the most.    The other split piles you often want the top card in multiples anyways - and the one that you might not - gladiator - has a way to burn through the pile.  Having rotate on the gladiator pile might be the only split pile where that option would reduce the strategy - as timing the burn down of gladiators to get the fortune is an interesting part of this pile.
Battle plan can rotate catapult and any other split pile.  Just played a game where it flipped plunders and encampments
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Sparafucile

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 07:58:25 am »

Battle plan can rotate catapult and any other split pile.  Just played a game where it flipped plunders and encampments

I think in my second sentence i mentioned you can rotate any pile, including split piles. 

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 08:11:41 am »

Haven’t played 2p Catapult before, but I’m not sure it’s super important to actually hit the Rocks? Catapult is a slow thinner, and Rocks basically just gives high-quality junk to feed your Catapult with to keep attacking once you’ve trashed your initial junk. A decent Silver-gainer does as much for you as Rocks do.

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 09:34:41 am »
+3

I would like other cards that are unlikely to pile out (e.g. Chapel) to have interesting cards below them.
I love this idea! Maybe it’ll make it to a weekly design contest.

Will start thinking about some.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.248 seconds with 22 queries.