Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #144: A one time thing  (Read 7881 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #144: A one time thing
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2022, 10:38:49 pm »
+5

Royal Crest - $5
Treasure
$2
If you returned Kings Favor this turn, +$1 and +1VP.
----
Setup: Each player takes Kings Favor.
Kings Favor
State
At the start of your turn, you may return this. If you do, +1 Buy and play Treasure cards from your hand twice this turn. If you don't, +1 Card, then discard a card.

A Silver for $5 that is a Gold and source of VP tokens on the turn you return Kings Favor. Kings Favor Crowns all your treasures on the turn you return it. It has a passive sifting ability if you keep it, so there are pros and cons to when you use it. I imagine the correct way to use it leans towards using near the end of the game, but getting an early monster turn may set you up to out pace those that wait to turn in their Kings Favor.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:38:59 pm by Xen3k »

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2022, 11:05:37 pm »
+2

Royal Crest - $5
Treasure
$2
If you returned Kings Favor this turn, $1 and +1%.
-
Setup: Each player takes Kings Favor.
Kings Favor
State
At the start of your turn, you may return this. If you do, +1 Buy and play Treasure cards from your hand twice this turn. If you don't, +1 Card, then discard a card.

A Silver for $5 that is a Gold and source of VP tokens on the turn you return Kings Favor. Kings Favor Crowns all your treasures on the turn you return it. It has a passive sifting ability if you keep it, so there are pros and cons to when you use it. I imagine the correct way to use it leans towards using near the end of the game, but getting an early monster turn may set you up to out pace those that wait to turn in their Kings Favor.
The only weird thing I see with this is that it completely changes the opening with the sifting ability.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2022, 11:40:58 pm »
+6

Go for a megaturn, expand your payload, or use it immediately for a turn 3/4 gold.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 11:42:42 pm by pubby »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 05:01:44 am »
+1

Dammit, i have 2 ideas:

Stadium
Landmark
Once per game you may gain 1 vp per action card in play

Gilden ticket - $2
Treusure, heirloom
+$1
You may trash this to gain +1action, +1 buy, +1 card, then return to your action phase
(Making it once, without saying “once per game”)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2022, 05:04:39 am »
+1

Dammit, i have 2 ideas:

Stadium
Landmark
Once per game you may gain 1 vp per action card in play

Gilden ticket - $2
Treusure, heirloom
+$1
You may trash this to gain +1action, +1 buy, +1 card, then return to your action phase

2's got a multiple per game opportunity with Treasurer. 1 might work better as a buy-neutral $0 event.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2022, 06:21:18 am »
+1

Gilden ticket - $2
Treusure, heirloom
+$1

2's got a multiple per game opportunity with Treasurer.

I'll allow it, for the same reason as allowing a single card supply pile. The probability of a given 2 card combo gets lower and lower and in most games it will be a "once per game" effect.

So to clarify, Secret Cave (Magic Lamp) and Cemetery (Haunted Mirror) would "qualify". However they wouldn't do well on judging because you pretty much want to activate them as soon as possible.

If it's an Heirloom I would like to see a card (shaped thing) that puts it into the kingdom. I would accept a Landmark that puts an Heirloom into the game, so you can actually submit Stadium and Golden Ticket, just clarify that the two are linked (put Heirloom: Golden Ticket at the bottom of Stadium)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 06:23:25 am by NoMoreFun »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2022, 09:12:20 am »

Costumer
$6
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
-
Once per game, when you gain this, choose two: +1 Card token, +1 Action token, +$1 token, +1 Buy token; move the chosen tokens to the Costumer action supply pile. For the rest of the game, when you play this, you first get those tokens.

I wanted to expand on the tokens from Adventures in a sort of dress up your card the way you want kind of way. I acknowledge that if other cards mess with those specific tokens, there is no way to put them back, but you do not have to move those specific tokens if you don't want. Due to that, I think the interaction shouldn't mess with the card design much.

seems too good with no real downside. Even without the innate +card, the ability to choose the tokens like this is is really good. Think it needs some kind of change.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2022, 02:07:52 pm »

Costumer
$6
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
-
Once per game, when you gain this, choose two: +1 Card token, +1 Action token, +$1 token, +1 Buy token; move the chosen tokens to the Costumer action supply pile. For the rest of the game, when you play this, you first get those tokens.

I wanted to expand on the tokens from Adventures in a sort of dress up your card the way you want kind of way. I acknowledge that if other cards mess with those specific tokens, there is no way to put them back, but you do not have to move those specific tokens if you don't want. Due to that, I think the interaction shouldn't mess with the card design much.

seems too good with no real downside. Even without the innate +card, the ability to choose the tokens like this is is really good. Think it needs some kind of change.

Costumer
Event
$2
Once per game: Choose one: +1 Card token, +1 Action token, +$1 token, +1 Buy token; move the chosen tokens of all players that are not on supply piles to an Action supply pile of an action card you have in play.
I see your point, so I have edited my card to be an event instead that will hopefully address the issues mentioned, but still keep the spirit of the idea intact.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 05:11:29 pm »
+1

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2022, 05:41:09 pm »
+9

It's definitely WAY too early to be designing an Ally, having not seen the rest of the official ones or their Liaison counterparts, but hey let's give it a try.

When Royal Family is in play, basically everyone gets a free card onto their deck after the first Province is gained. The more Favors you get before this happens, the better the card can be. This makes a minigame of deciding how quickly to gain Favors, when to grab that first Province, when to wait. Do you rush to get Favors and the first Province so your opponents don't get as a good a card? Do you let your opponent get the first Province and try to have a decent number of Favors by then? The topdecking makes gaining VP a little worse and gaining Actions a little better. After the first Province, Favors don't do anything, so you don't want to overinvest in Liaison cards either. Feedback is appreciated.

*Edit: Minor text change (per infangthief) switching from spending Favors to just gaining a card costing up to the number of Favors your have, no change in functionality.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:54:08 pm by 4est »

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 06:04:45 pm »
+6

Event: Bring out your dead

Once per game: Trash 4 Action cards you have in play to gain a Province.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2022, 07:16:06 pm »
+1

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2022, 07:19:33 pm »

Treasures in Heaven
$4 - Event
Choose one: Exile up to two cards you have in play; Exile one card from your hand and one card you have in play;
Or, once per game, you may exile an Action card from your hand for +1VP per Treasure card you have in Exile.

Treasures in Heaven
$4 - Event
Once per game, when you buy this you may exile an Action card from your hand for +1VP per Treasure card you have in Exile.
Otherwise, exile up to two cards you have in play, or one card from your hand and one card you have in play.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:05:08 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 05:08:36 am »
+1

Gilden ticket - $2
Treusure, heirloom
+$1

2's got a multiple per game opportunity with Treasurer.

I'll allow it, for the same reason as allowing a single card supply pile. The probability of a given 2 card combo gets lower and lower and in most games it will be a "once per game" effect.

So to clarify, Secret Cave (Magic Lamp) and Cemetery (Haunted Mirror) would "qualify". However they wouldn't do well on judging because you pretty much want to activate them as soon as possible.

If it's an Heirloom I would like to see a card (shaped thing) that puts it into the kingdom. I would accept a Landmark that puts an Heirloom into the game, so you can actually submit Stadium and Golden Ticket, just clarify that the two are linked (put Heirloom: Golden Ticket at the bottom of Stadium)

Nice, in that case

Monument
Lanmark
Once per game before you may gain 1 VP per action card in play.
Heirloom: Gilden ticket

Gilden ticket $2
+$1
You may trash this card. If you do: +2 actions, +1 buy and return to your action phase.

(Removed the +1 card to make trashing first turn less usefull. )

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2022, 05:24:13 am »
+3

It's definitely WAY too early to be designing an Ally, having not seen the rest of the official ones or their Liaison counterparts, but hey let's give it a try.

When Royal Family is in play, basically everyone gets a free card onto their deck after the first Province is gained. The more Favors you get before this happens, the better the card can be. This makes a minigame of deciding how quickly to gain Favors, when to grab that first Province, when to wait. Do you rush to get Favors and the first Province so your opponents don't get as a good a card? Do you let your opponent get the first Province and try to have a decent number of Favors by then? The topdecking makes gaining VP a little worse and gaining Actions a little better. After the first Province, Favors don't do anything, so you don't want to overinvest in Liaison cards either. Feedback is appreciated.

I like the idea, but I wonder if it'll be hardly ever worth it. Getting favours seems to take a bit of effort, might not be worth it just for gaining a good card once.
What about making it compulsory? So if you don't make an effort to get more favours then you get lumbered with a Copper or other weak card.
Also, as there's only one Ally, you don't actually need to "spend" the favours, if that allows a simpler wording.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:25:33 am by infangthief »

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2022, 12:48:42 pm »
+2

I hope this card is not too sad a theme

Trusted Companion
$4
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you don't have Traitor, you may take Traitor.
If you have taken Traitor this turn, +$3.
Traitor
-
State
When you play a Trusted Companion, +1 Buy and discard a card.

A basic village for players that need the +Actions. You can get a one time huge burst of money for those willing to betray man's best friend for life. There's no going back, once a Traitor always a Traitor. Should be noted the money you get for taking Traitor will also not be do able again, which should qualify for once per game, so once done, any future turns plays of Trusted Companion becomes a +1 Card, then Discard a card, +2 Actions, and +1 Buy.

The money burst was originally a flat +$4 for 1st Trusted Companion and no additional $ for the rest of the copies of Trusted Companion played that turn. I decided to go with this scaling version to reward players who got lots of copies so it is more exciting and when done it hurts more to have many copies of the bad card in your deck.

Example mega turn play 1st copy of Trusted Companion, +1 Card & +2 Actions. Then play your 2nd copy of Trusted Companion choose to take the Traitor so you get +1 Card & +2 Actions & +$3. Then play your 3rd copy of Trusted Companion so you get +1 Card & +2 Actions & +$3 & +1 Buy & Discard a card. Then play your 4th copy of Trusted Companion so you get +1 Card & +2 Actions & +$3 & +1 Buy & Discard a card.
End result gain +4 Cards, +8 Actions, +2 Buys, +$9 and discarded 2 cards. (cost 4 cards, 4 actions)
Net result -2 Cards, +4 Actions, +2 Buys, +$9.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2022, 03:35:48 pm »
+1

Butler

My submission is an heirloom. You have the choose to trash it early to remove what's effectively a copper, or hold onto it to trash it later when you can get more points.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2022, 04:59:14 pm »
+1

Treasures in Heaven
$4 - Event
Once per game, when you buy this you may exile an Action card from your hand for +1VP per Treasure card you have in Exile.
Otherwise, exile up to two cards you have in play, or one card from your hand and one card you have in play.
My first hunch is that Exiling an Estate and Copper in the opening is most of the times better than a bunch of late game VPs.
I guess I need to make it clearer that just the first line is once per game and the second line is repeatable.

edit: new version:  (also changed in my OP)
Treasures in Heaven
$4 - Event
Choose one: Exile up to two cards you have in play; Exile one card from your hand and one card you have in play;
Or, once per game, you may exile an Action card from your hand for +1VP per Treasure card you have in Exile.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:04:48 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2022, 05:10:49 pm »

Butler

My submission is an heirloom. You have the choose to trash it early to remove what's effectively a copper, or hold onto it to trash it later when you can get more points.
25-9 is a rough VP split for the player who goes 3 to their opponent's 5 on these. and in a game with a potential runaway $5 gainer, someone piledriving these for 64VP is kind of an insurmountable lead
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:11:51 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2022, 05:17:57 pm »
+1

Butler

25-9 is a rough VP split for the player who goes 3 to their opponent's 5 on these. and in a game with a potential runaway $5 gainer, someone piledriving these for 64VP is kind of an insurmountable lead

Butler also needs to reveal your discard pile. What's in your discard isn't public information.

You may trash this to reveal your discard pile. +1 per Victory card revealed.

That said, I don't think Mansion works at any price. Donald X tried it and it turned into Duke. Which Mansion compares super favorably to, Duke requires you to gain a different to boost your Dukes, whereas with Mansion you only have to get another Mansion. Mansion is extremely near to strictly better at the same cost. Not to mention, with a Duke, to optimize your score, you want to first get 4 Duchies and then start alternating between Dukes and Duchies. Whereas with Mansion, you just want to go ham on the Mansions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:24:16 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2022, 06:52:02 pm »
+4

(not a serious entry)

My brothers and I would play with a version of this. We called in Continent and if you bough it, you won. It cost $20. It was a fun twist. I'd recommend it.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2022, 03:38:49 am »
+1

Okay, heres a serious submission: Hopefully not broken or anything.

Ascendant is an alternative win condition: Pursuing it seriously means you are forgoing progress on a typical route, and unless you are confident in being able to ascend, you can ruin your game. You can't cheat its requirement with a workshop or remodel variant. you need to plan for it.

im not sure about the apropriate price for it: 9$ seems too low, since you just need 3 golds for that or 5 silvers. 15$ seemed best, since that would require 5 golds in hand and some sort of setup or serious luck.

Things that would mess with the balance of this: Colony/platinum games. Coffers. League of bankers. There are probably more. but eh.

Its been a long time since i participated here, so i hope this card is interesting at the very least!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2022, 03:43:16 am »
+2

Things that would mess with the balance of this: Colony/platinum games. Coffers. League of bankers. There are probably more. but eh.
I can't help but feel that Coffers are your biggest problem here. It's super easy to Ascend with a bunch of Bakers (I suppose you become some sort of Baking God... actually this reminds me of Cookie Clicker).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2022, 05:42:30 am »

I can't help but feel that Coffers are your biggest problem here. It's super easy to Ascend with a bunch of Bakers (I suppose you become some sort of Baking God... actually this reminds me of Cookie Clicker).

how is this? removed the "gain no cards this turn" part. dont know how to phrase it well with the new Coffers part.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2022, 10:28:45 am »
+4

how is this? removed the "gain no cards this turn" part. dont know how to phrase it well with the new Coffers part.

Tactician would love this.

I'm not sure about the "you win the game" clause either... feels non-Dominion-y.  It rewards someone trying to build an engine that just isn't going off well, so they don't gain any cards for a few turns waiting for the engine to work properly... they fall down 5-1 on Provinces, then magically win the game.

What if you change that to "gain all the Provinces"?  Then it's still a strategic decision to not gain a card one turn to try for the game-ending mega-turn... but you do need to time it before you lose the split, most likely.
he/him
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.