Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24  All

Author Topic: BM 34: Groundhog's Day Mafia -- GAME OVER, mafia wins flawlessly  (Read 42601 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: BM 34: Groundhog's Day Mafia -- GAME OVER, mafia wins flawlessly
« Reply #550 on: January 26, 2022, 01:46:17 pm »

This was a fun read! As I was saying in the speccy, I was sure the lack of exiles was on purpose because of someone's role. It made the second D1 seem even more like a real D1.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 26, 2022, 01:54:14 pm »

MiX and Didds are our uber-reliable, count on them to vote at deadline players. Makes sense we had trouble exiling, not knowing they weren't motivated as usual.

Good job Didds! You had everyone fooled. Sorry Galzria, gkrieg. I was trying but I was wrong.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 26, 2022, 02:36:05 pm »

I do think I succeeded in evoking the feeling of hopelessness and frustration that a real time loop would engender.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 26, 2022, 02:37:25 pm »

By the way, With 9 alive, it takes 5 to exile was a lie after Night 1 (the first Night 1). It actually worked like normal, but dead players' votes didn't count and exiling a dead player wouldn't end the day.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 26, 2022, 02:38:16 pm »

Oh wow. At first I was really upset at WCD for just up and dayvigging me so early in the day.... ah, but she was scum, so that explains it.

Yes, this past night, I checked gkrieg and confirmed his claim and that he was dead.

I guess if WCD had dayvigged the day before, we would have made it a little longer, as she woudln't have still had the shot. (did you purposefully not shoot galz since you knew he was already dead? or were you legit busy)

Here's one aspect of my limited experience maybe. Once I learned WCD was dayvig, I assumed she was town because that seems to be a town role. (too powerful for scum to have NK and a day kill)

Overall, I enjoyed the game and loved the repeated D1 setup. (one really nice thing is that it allowed dead people to still participate). I think it's on us that we did not exile first D1 or third D1.

I was legit dealing with work emergency crap. I had very intention of following Swowl's directive, and I was beating myself up about it on Monday afternoon and then I got annoyed that ya'll didn't just exile him instead. I was voting so the stagnant part was not my fault.

Excellent work copping me by the way! I am just lucky it was a town role.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2022, 02:40:53 pm »

MiX and Didds are our uber-reliable, count on them to vote at deadline players. Makes sense we had trouble exiling, not knowing they weren't motivated as usual.

Good job Didds! You had everyone fooled. Sorry Galzria, gkrieg. I was trying but I was wrong.

Thank you! I will say that we were as lost as you. There is literally no chat in our QT because we couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, so the confusion was entirely authentic.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2022, 02:52:53 pm »

I think we won?

That was the least amount of effort I have put in a game. It's also the least amount of effort I've put into the day phase, which is similar to overall, except I expected to think more at night given the nothing I was doing at day.

I screwed up my fakeclaim because I wanted to put scola in the same roleblocker conflict as last game. I knew with my luck he would've known he wasn't roleblocked. Also, I thought my targets were the only justifiable ones.

PPE every post after the reveal.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2022, 02:59:44 pm »

Accurate, although I really wasn't there in D1. In D3, yeah, I was not even slightly motivated to flip anyone, given galzria and gkrieg were already dead (and since we didn't know more than town, we assumed that the consensus of "people are secretly dead" was true).

By the way, With 9 alive, it takes 5 to exile was a lie after Night 1 (the first Night 1). It actually worked like normal, but dead players' votes didn't count and exiling a dead player wouldn't end the day.

Ah, I see. So since we had 8 players alive when Swowl was executed, it still took 5 to exile, but Galzria's vote just didn't count. That makes sense, and I'm kinda disappointed I didn't conclude that somewhere.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2022, 03:39:36 pm »

I think we needed more players and a longer game to work out the mechanics here. I get that we failed to exile people a few times, and that was the only way to get info. But even if we were all active enough, it would have been very difficult for Town to win here.

It sure didn't help that Mafia both didn't need to fake claim. But one claims happened, I don't think we stood a chance, especially with both of them still alive. They can kill one during the day and block one of our few PRs each night. I was sure that the DayVig had to be a Town role. Guess i was wrong.

But I should have stuck with my initial thought that MiX was scum, instead of switching over to scola.

Just curious Didds... if majority of us wanted MiX dead, would you have killed him to play for the long endgame? Or would you have come up with some reason not to?
he/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 26, 2022, 03:45:19 pm »

I would have killed him!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #560 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:11 pm »

For me, it was just a mistake to sign up for the game knowing that I had the elections, the streams and the World Cup coming. I thought I'd have enough time, and I would have, but my attention was largely elsewhere and I underestimated that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2022, 04:10:02 pm »

I knew with 100% certainty Didds wasn’t lying about her role. And I knew with 100% certainty that she and EFHW weren’t both town. I just really didn’t think Didd’s PR could be scum! 🤣
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2022, 04:14:41 pm »

I'm trying to train people not to think that way!

He/him

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 26, 2022, 05:31:59 pm »

Thanks for the game everyone!

I feel better knowing MiX was actually scum, I feel like my MiXdar is pretty strong.

I think part of our inability to exile is tied to not wanting to exile early D1 and general fear of putting someone at X-1, which were both exacerbated by the small player count.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2022, 05:36:24 pm »

Oh yeah, I purposely flaunted expectations. I gave town a rolecop, scum a dayvig, and I made the main character scum.

I would say giving scum a dayvig is the only thing in there that dramatically tips the game in scum's favor. The other two have to happen sometimes.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 26, 2022, 06:14:55 pm »

I knew with 100% certainty Didds wasn’t lying about her role. And I knew with 100% certainty that she and EFHW weren’t both town. I just really didn’t think Didd’s PR could be scum! 🤣

How did you know??

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 26, 2022, 06:34:54 pm »

How did you know??

That you weren’t lying? That sort of lie isn’t in your skill set. It’s bold, somewhat checkable, and puts you in a position of having to either prove it, or argue why your inability to do so isn’t scummy. It draws attention in a way scum!you doesn’t like to answer for.

Why couldn’t you both be town? Seemed highly unlikely that town was given two separate day altering abilities, both of which were, in theory, checkable. And if one of those were to be a scum power, it mostly *had* to be EFHW for balance reasons.

As it turns out, wrong, but then that was pretty much the only unbalanced part of this setup.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: BM 34: Groundhog's Day Mafia
« Reply #567 on: January 26, 2022, 06:43:22 pm »

So yeah. I mean, two things going on here. One, the setup was more scum-sided than I anticipated and I should have buffed up town more.

But also, town no-exiled twice. Hard to imagine town ever winning a game that way. And scum managed to eliminate town's most powerful role on night 1.

So, you know, you can't blame me for everything.

You were supposed to get half of the flips -- the ones from exiles -- which I thought would give enough info to make the game playable. And scola had a secret secondary ability that would tell him if players were dead if he copped them. But then you guys only ever managed one exile so you only ever got one flip.

I actually thought the setup was really inspired and has a TON of potential nuance. In a non-BM more open setup where the general mechanic is known, there’s a lot to play around with here. Clearly throwing away our only known means of obtaining information TWICE was never going to result in a town win.

To expand on this:

I loved the concept of dead players still being able to participate and voice their opinions. I loved the concept behind not knowing who was actually dead. I thought everybody was on the same page with what was going on due to the VC’s - although apparently I was wrong on that. I loved that dead votes still appeared in the VC. I think it opens up a fun nuance on trying to figure out who is alive and who is dead. An exiled town becomes an IC with no vote. An exiled scum … well, who knows what’s optimal to their play? I think the entire setup lends itself to a fantastic version of play with a lot of new, nuanced VCA. Plus the uncertainty of any given player’s PR still being in play or not. Mass claims FEEL like they would significantly help scum more than town, but that’s unclear. I almost want to play a more vanilla game (Rolecop/Goon vs Jailkeeper/Doctor/5 VT) with this setup.

Mafia Record:

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 26, 2022, 07:39:38 pm »

This setup feels really boring for scum. I wanted to kill Galzria because they always catch Didds and would catch me, and then I wanted to kill gkrieg because he woke up and realized I was scum. Except even if they're dead, they get to talk. It felt futile trying to put up an effort when I can't silence the important voices.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 26, 2022, 08:19:46 pm »

This setup feels really boring for scum. I wanted to kill Galzria because they always catch Didds and would catch me, and then I wanted to kill gkrieg because he woke up and realized I was scum. Except even if they're dead, they get to talk. It felt futile trying to put up an effort when I can't silence the important voices.

Is that boring? Seems really challenging if we had more flips and were actually doing VCA. But not knowing what was happening with nothing yo help figure it out was a drag.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2022, 08:20:32 pm »

But MiX! I shot Scola! Right off the bat! I figured you’d be pleased. :)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #571 on: January 26, 2022, 08:31:24 pm »

I was wondering what would happen if scum were exiled. Would they still be able to post in the thread? What would they say that could help their win condition besides just spamming the thread with off topic stuff?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2022, 09:03:13 pm »

I was extremely pleased :P

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2022, 09:13:01 pm »

I was extremely pleased :P

I was less pleased.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 26, 2022, 09:46:43 pm »

the day reset was supposed to weaken the day vig. Like it deprives town of an exile, but scum doesn't get a night kill that night. I maybe should have made it fail at ExLo or MexLo? Eh, I shouldn't have given scum a dayvig at all let's be real.

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24  All

Page created in 2.336 seconds with 20 queries.