Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24  All

Author Topic: BM 34: Groundhog's Day Mafia -- GAME OVER, mafia wins flawlessly  (Read 42649 times)

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
Re: BM 34: Groundhog's Day Mafia
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2022, 09:36:59 pm »

I was going to vote MiX here, but I’m going to leave my vote on Scola for right now. I would also consider Datswan or Gkrieg at this point in time.

I’m like… 99% sure DatSwan is not in this game
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2022, 10:23:39 pm »

EFHW - what you find skummy about that?
Like also mix what do you find skummy about the response he had?

Could they of responded in a way that was not going to be skummy? Or was it just the fact that they responded?

It has the ring of a classic scum post - making generalizations about how they play and how town and scum play. Safe stuff, no commitments.

I'd vote him, but I don't want to put him at E-1 so early in the day.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2022, 11:57:49 pm »

I was going to vote MiX here, but I’m going to leave my vote on Scola for right now. I would also consider Datswan or Gkrieg at this point in time.

I’m like… 99% sure DatSwan is not in this game

Ha!
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2022, 11:58:56 pm »

Could they of responded in a way that was not going to be skummy? Or was it just the fact that they responded?

It has the ring of a classic scum post - making generalizations about how they play and how town and scum play. Safe stuff, no commitments.

I think this is a really accurate assessment. +1

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2022, 12:55:24 am »

do you disagree with anything he said?
he was answering a question right? all of it seems to check out to me.
There is no definitive answer, it is open ended, so I don't see not having commitments here skummy. Nor towny.
real good. That’s how

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2022, 08:18:54 am »

There is no definitive answer, it is open ended, so I don't see not having commitments here skummy. Nor towny.
It's the generalizations. And the topic is so not interesting.  Why did he say that about RVS anyway? If you don't like it then don't do it. Personally,  I rarely do it, but I think it's a valuable community building phase, before we all feel suspicious of each other, and a place to work out feelings from past games. Maybe I'll start doing it more!

But I'll grant you that it reads somewhat less scummy if you take into account that he was answering a question.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2022, 11:16:37 am »

My school just went remote for the first two weeks.  It really does feel like groundhog day!

Swowl defending scola is super interesting.  But also, where's gkrieg??

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2022, 12:52:31 pm »

But also, where's gkrieg??

Waiting until there's a wagon on him?
he/him

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2022, 07:35:37 pm »

ok then, vote: gkrieg. Mostly just drowning out the crickets. 9 players means we all have to be more active than usual.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2022, 08:04:18 pm »

I didn't call it random, just pointless. And yes, I get the point is to see how people react. But I'd argue, that's not actually effective. It would be interesting to see some analysis on how well anyone's D1 reads actually are...

A very 1-dimensional outlook. You're only considering "how people react" as a direct influence on reads. But there's a lot more to the purpose of voting than that. It creates connections. Is scum!MiX more likely, or less likely, to put a vote down on a partner in early RVS phases? What about Awaclus, or anybody else? An RVS vote may not have any weight or reason, and the "reaction" it generates may not be all that valuable (especially D1) - but every vote says something about the person making it - They choose who for reasons that are very rarely random (or pointless).

I do hear you on potential slips of knowledge and had not completely thought of that - but those slips some times come from scum, too, no?

Possibly, maybe. But town has much less use for such information than scum does, as scum is actively looking for information to inform a pretty major decision during the night - therefore pursuing discourse that may positively influence that decision for scum is fairly bad for town.

i.e I think the point of either is just to encourage more chatter - and this is true for both town and scum. town trying to weed out scum, scum trying to learn town's roles. I'm not sure why one is actually better than the other. I'm just not of fun of picking someone and voting for them without at least a piece of reasoning.

Not all chatter is equal. Chatter that potentially makes alignment connections is more valuable than chatter that potentially reveals information. You even acknowledge as much in the bolded above: One IS clearly better than the other - so why pursue a line of conversation that is beneficial to scum?

Also, vote: swowl.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2022, 08:06:10 pm »

ok then, vote: gkrieg. Mostly just drowning out the crickets. 9 players means we all have to be more active than usual.

I agree with this.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2022, 08:14:51 pm »

I agree with this.

To clarify: I agree with EFHW's point - the vote I'm not yet sure on. Waiting for Gkrieg to come back and answer my question.

Mafia Record:

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2022, 12:19:32 am »

Actually:

Gkrieg, what was the reasoning for your MiX vote?

Mostly RVS. Partially him talking about nothing.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2022, 12:21:06 am »

People that tend to single out my low involvement early in the game are either scum or Faust generally.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2022, 12:30:43 am »

I didn't call it random, just pointless. And yes, I get the point is to see how people react. But I'd argue, that's not actually effective. It would be interesting to see some analysis on how well anyone's D1 reads actually are...

A very 1-dimensional outlook. You're only considering "how people react" as a direct influence on reads. But there's a lot more to the purpose of voting than that. It creates connections. Is scum!MiX more likely, or less likely, to put a vote down on a partner in early RVS phases? What about Awaclus, or anybody else? An RVS vote may not have any weight or reason, and the "reaction" it generates may not be all that valuable (especially D1) - but every vote says something about the person making it - They choose who for reasons that are very rarely random (or pointless).

- Are you saying this as NAI? I don't think I can think of single RVS vote I have ever made as town that was not completely arbitrary.

i.e I think the point of either is just to encourage more chatter - and this is true for both town and scum. town trying to weed out scum, scum trying to learn town's roles. I'm not sure why one is actually better than the other. I'm just not of fun of picking someone and voting for them without at least a piece of reasoning.

- Galz wants to know "why pursue a line of convo that is beneficial to skum"... I just wanna know how you think "skum trying to learn town's roles" is not clearly worse than "town trying to weed out skum"?
real good. That’s how

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2022, 08:25:27 am »

My head is spinning! I see myself agreeing with both Galzy and EFHW way more than I usually do. It’s a refreshing change.

I’ve been thinking about the low level of interaction and content generally. I’m guessing it’s attributed to the closed set up, so we don’t actually have much to talk about right now? Thus the conversation about the utility of random votes to start the game. It feels tough to get started, or to form any sort of concrete opinions.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2022, 09:00:56 am »

My head is spinning! I see myself agreeing with both Galzy and EFHW way more than I usually do. It’s a refreshing change.

Oh no, maybe I misread my pm and am scum after all!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2022, 09:02:30 am »

- Are you saying this as NAI? I don't think I can think of single RVS vote I have ever made as town that was not completely arbitrary.

- Galz wants to know "why pursue a line of convo that is beneficial to skum"... I just wanna know how you think "skum trying to learn town's roles" is not clearly worse than "town trying to weed out skum"?

Swowl, I am curious, as are others, I think, about your stalwart defense of scola. Can you tell us what's behind it?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2022, 09:21:41 am »

On me in three, two, one.

Once a year, the eyes of the nation turn to this tiny Pennsylvania hamlet... to watch a master at work.

The master?

Punxsutawney Phil, the world's most famous weatherman, the groundhog who, as legend has it, can predict the coming of an early spring.

The question we have to ask ourselves

today is, "Does Phil feel lucky?"

This February 2nd at 8:02 am and 42 seconds...

Punxsutawney Phil, the seer of seers... prognosticator of prognosticators... emerged reluctantly, but alertly in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania and stated in Groundhogese...

'I definitely see a shadow.'     

Sorry, folks.

Six more weeks of winter.

Television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather. I, for one, am very grateful to have been here. From Punxsutawney, this is Phil Connors.

Vote Count 1.2

scolapasta (2): MiX, Awaclus
Awaclus (1): Swowl
MiX (2): gkrieg13, mathdude
gkrieg13 (1): EFHW
Swowl (1): Galzria

Not voting (2): WestCoastDidds, scolapasta,

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to exile.

Day 1 ends at 1:30 pm ET on January 8th.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2022, 12:04:23 pm »

I agree with this.

To clarify: I agree with EFHW's point - the vote I'm not yet sure on. Waiting for Gkrieg to come back and answer my question.

I agree with Galz agreeing with EFHW. And I think others should agree too.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2022, 12:11:34 pm »

I’ve been thinking about the low level of interaction and content generally. I’m guessing it’s attributed to the closed set up, so we don’t actually have much to talk about right now? Thus the conversation about the utility of random votes to start the game. It feels tough to get started, or to form any sort of concrete opinions.

Sorry, my mistake. I guess I still had an old window open from early this morning before work and didn't refresh it before replying.

I guess I agree with Didds, agreeing with Galz, agreeing with EFHW. Anyone else?

In all seriousness... i haven't played enough games here to know who votes whom and when on D1.

But still, seeing people's votes D1 can sometimes be helpful D3 and onwards for those who are able to look back and say "last time I was scum with X, they were very careful to vote each partner D1 but not put any pressure" or "I have never seen Y vote for partners D1 before. He voted Z D1 today and we know Z is scum now, so I'm pretty sure Y isn't scum".
he/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2022, 12:14:34 pm »

Oh no, maybe I misread my pm and am scum after all!

:)

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2022, 12:33:03 pm »

It's the generalizations. And the topic is so not interesting.  Why did he say that about RVS anyway? If you don't like it then don't do it. Personally,  I rarely do it, but I think it's a valuable community building phase, before we all feel suspicious of each other, and a place to work out feelings from past games. Maybe I'll start doing it more!

But I'll grant you that it reads somewhat less scummy if you take into account that he was answering a question.

I mean generalizations is really all we have D1, I think. Or at least early in the day. And I'd argue that even though we're nearing deadline, it's still early in that there haven't been many posts.

And only 1 wagon (me) which was very early.

So it's a weird D1 in my mind. But that's fine, I guess. I just don't see anywhere right now to put my vote.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2022, 12:35:33 pm »

Of course, scum trying to learn town's role is worse. I just don't think it's that risky on slipping on roles by discussing set up. and more possible scum could mess up, since, at least from experience as scum in other games, usually know more (and it's shared info, so each member of scum knows all that).
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2022, 12:36:18 pm »

That said, I don't actually think slips of either kind are that likely. Was just saying that you if you're discussing slips, it goes both ways.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24  All

Page created in 2.722 seconds with 19 queries.