Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #133: A Time to Feast  (Read 10004 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #133: A Time to Feast
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2021, 06:33:19 pm »
+1

Yep, good word, LFN. I've updated the OP so to cap it at gaining $6 costs like Smugglers.

If you worded it as "unless it costs $7 or more," it could gain potion and debt cost cards but not Province/Platinum/Colony. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2021, 07:47:29 pm »
+1

Royal Foundaries - $7
Action
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it. If you would gain a card costing more than this, instead trash this to gain that card to your hand.

Non-terminal gainer limited only by the price of the card you discard. The self trashing is only relevant in Colony/Platinum games or with similar cards.

Does this need any of the complex stuff? Seems like "Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it." would be fine at some cost. Obviously the +1 Action makes it strong, but that and "to your hand" already incentivizes you to gain non-Victory cards.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 09:45:08 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2021, 08:57:49 pm »
+7

Matryoshka
Action - $6
Gain a card costing up to $5, then a card costing up to $4 that shares no types with it.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2021, 10:59:56 pm »

Royal Foundaries - $7
Action
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it. If you would gain a card costing more than this, instead trash this to gain that card to your hand.

Non-terminal gainer limited only by the price of the card you discard. The self trashing is only relevant in Colony/Platinum games or with similar cards.

Does this need any of the complex stuff? Seems like "Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it." would be fine at some cost. Obviously the +1 Action makes it strong, but that and "to your hand" already incentivizes you to gain non-Victory cards.

Probably would be cleaner, but I have gotten feedback that it would be really strong with Colony/Platinum without the self trashing clause. There were concerns about power level. I am not sure anymore though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2021, 11:50:21 pm »
+1

Royal Foundaries - $7
Action
+1 Action

Probably would be cleaner, but I have gotten feedback that it would be really strong with Colony/Platinum without the self trashing clause. There were concerns about power level. I am not sure anymore though.

Well it's worth testing. But I tentatively think needing to collide it with a Colony means that you're usually getting it late enough that gaining Platinum to your hand isn't going to be your entire strategy. Or if it is, you really have to do some work setting that up.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2021, 12:24:01 am »
+1

Well it's worth testing. But I tentatively think needing to collide it with a Colony means that you're usually getting it late enough that gaining Platinum to your hand isn't going to be your entire strategy. Or if it is, you really have to do some work setting that up.

It weakens the card, but one simple option is "gain a card costing less than the discarded card (but not more than $7)."

Without the self-trashing clause, I think that Platinum/Colony games would often have a strategy of: Build deck that over-draws itself, gain at least one 1 Royal Foundry and 1 Platinum. Discard that one Platinum for Royal Foundries. Then repeatedly discard the same Platinum for Provinces. It wouldn't be about discarding Colony for Platinum because there's no need for more than one Platinum (and buying Colonies with Platina would be too slow, particularly in games with 3+ players where the other players would empty the Provinces faster). That said, I imagine good execution mattering a lot; it would definitely reward skill.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2021, 12:30:25 am »
+1

My Submission:

Quote from: Deploy
DEPLOY
EVENT
Cost: $7
Gain a card costing up to $5. Queue it.

My submission is Deploy. It uses NoMoreFun's Queue mechanic. A quick reminder how it works:

At the start of your turn, put a card from the Queue mat into your hand. It doesn't matter how the card got there, or how many cards are on the mat, or (contrary to the card's name) what order they arrived in - you put exactly one card from it into your hand at the start of each of your turns.

Cards on the Queue mat are face up (the same as Exile).

All the rules around "Exile", the noun and the verb, apply to Queue. To "Queue" a card means to put it on your Queue mat. You can refer to a card on your queue mat as "In your Queue".

Deploy gains a card costing up to $5 and (unless you have another card in your Queue), puts it into your hand at the start of your next turn. It is somewhat analogous to Reap, not (absent discounting) gaining as valuable a card, but providing more choices. It also permits interactions that require the gained card to be in your hand (e.g. throne variants, using Shephard on a gained Duchy, etc.), although not playing it immediately can also be a disadvantage (especially with actions).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2021, 01:24:43 am »
+1

Fête may be used in place of an official Prize when playing with Tournament (or an unofficial card that uses Prizes), and follows the rules for Prizes from the Dominion: Cornucopia & Guilds rulebook.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2021, 07:09:53 am »
+1

Monk - $4
Action

Trash a card from your hand. If there are no other copies of it in the trash, gain a card costing up to $5. If there are, you may replay this.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:18 am »
+1

Mill Town: Action, $5
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may play one or more Treasures from your hand to gain a card, costing up to $1 per Treasure played.
This is a bit ambiguous if you use it to play Counterfeit-Copper; can you now gain a card costing up to $3 or up to $1? Unfortunately any way I can think of to make that ambiguity go away makes the design also more clunky, like
You may set aside one or more Treasures from your hand. If you did, play them in any order, then gain a card costing up to $1 per Treasure you set aside.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:38:33 am by faust »

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2021, 09:11:09 am »
+1

+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may play one or more Treasures from your hand to gain a card, costing up to $1 per Treasure played.

This is a bit ambiguous if you use it to play Counterfeit-Copper; can you now gain a card costing up to $3 or up to $1?

It seems clear to me that the answer in that situation is "up to $1" because Counterfeit played that Copper twice, Mill Town didn't play the Copper at all. And any rewording necessary to avoid all doubt also seems minor, such as adding "in this way" or "with Mill Town" at the end.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2021, 09:19:01 am »
+1

Monk - $4
Action

Trash a card from your hand. If there are no other copies of it in the trash, gain a card costing up to $5. If there are, you may replay this.

Interesting card but it looks too strong (nearly mandatory) as an opener. If only one player opens it, they have a card functioning as Altar the first time played on Copper/Estate, an Altar that typically trashes multiple cards on the second play, and as an improved Chapel after that.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2021, 10:00:07 am »

+1 Card
+2 Actions

This is a bit ambiguous if you use it to play Counterfeit-Copper; can you now gain a card costing up to $3 or up to $1?

It seems clear to me that the answer in that situation is "up to $1" because Counterfeit played that Copper twice, Mill Town didn't play the Copper at all. And any rewording necessary to avoid all doubt also seems minor, such as adding "in this way" or "with Mill Town" at the end.

I would have interpreted it as “up to $3” in this scenario so it would be great if LFN could clarify.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2021, 11:05:48 am »

+1 Card
+2 Actions

I would have interpreted it as “up to $3” in this scenario so it would be great if LFN could clarify.

It would be "up to $1" in that case. I'm not super keen on adding more words just to clarify it on the card, though it also matters for Crown, so maybe. So far I think this is a FAQ thing.

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2021, 11:10:02 am »

Would designing a card that Exiles cards costing $5 count for this, or do you want it specifically to gain cards?

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2021, 11:39:23 am »

Would designing a card that Exiles cards costing $5 count for this, or do you want it specifically to gain cards?

That would be fine since I'm also allowing emtzalex's submission that "Queues" cards, which is similar to Exiling.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2021, 11:52:43 am »

+1 Card
+2 Actions

It would be "up to $1" in that case. I'm not super keen on adding more words just to clarify it on the card, though it also matters for Crown, so maybe. So far I think this is a FAQ thing.
It also matters for Venture, and potentially Capitalism.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2021, 12:27:24 pm »

+1 Card
+2 Actions

It also matters for Venture, and potentially Capitalism.
And for any treasure played before also (with another mill town, for example).
Who trashes the trashers?

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2021, 12:37:05 pm »
+3

Trapper
$5 - Night
Gain a card costing up to $6 you don't have a copy in play.
You may put it onto your deck.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2021, 02:09:00 pm »
+10

A big Event, joining the ranks of Populate and Alliance.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 02:22:28 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2021, 05:24:46 pm »
+1

Bribe • $4 • Action
You may trash this and a Gold from your hand to gain 2 differently named cards from the Supply.

If you don't, Gold costs $2 less this turn.

Gaining but no price limit; the else-case price reduction puts gold into $4 gainer territory, if you have the village support to do that. The way to tell which mode it's in is, if it's in play, it's the price reduction version.

secret history: got told it was pretty feels bad/luck-based when it didn't proc/collide - now it gives you a means to flood gold easier to make that not happen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:36:26 am by spineflu »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2021, 07:19:49 pm »
+2

how bout a big ironworks

Bronzeworks
$6 - Action
Gain a card costing up to $5. If you gained ...an Action card, put it on your deck and +1 Action; a Curse, +3 VP; anything else, put the gained card into your hand.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2021, 11:02:29 pm »
+1

Kinda like Banquet except, you know, different.  Probably pretty un-fun in a gardens rush, but then again, gardens rushes are pretty un-fun to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:03:40 pm by Chappy7 »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 05:02:44 am »

My Submission:

Quote from: Deploy
DEPLOY
EVENT
Cost: $7
Gain a card costing up to $5. Queue it.

My submission is Deploy. It uses NoMoreFun's Queue mechanic. A quick reminder how it works:

At the start of your turn, put a card from the Queue mat into your hand. It doesn't matter how the card got there, or how many cards are on the mat, or (contrary to the card's name) what order they arrived in - you put exactly one card from it into your hand at the start of each of your turns.

Cards on the Queue mat are face up (the same as Exile).

All the rules around "Exile", the noun and the verb, apply to Queue. To "Queue" a card means to put it on your Queue mat. You can refer to a card on your queue mat as "In your Queue".

Deploy gains a card costing up to $5 and (unless you have another card in your Queue), puts it into your hand at the start of your next turn. It is somewhat analogous to Reap, not (absent discounting) gaining as valuable a card, but providing more choices. It also permits interactions that require the gained card to be in your hand (e.g. throne variants, using Shephard on a gained Duchy, etc.), although not playing it immediately can also be a disadvantage (especially with actions).

I'm glad you liked the Queue mechanic but it isn't really necessary for this Event. Reap and Summon are official Events that set aside a card and do something with it next turn. Being able to delay a Duchy coming into your deck 2 turns is nice but so would getting multiple cards at the start of your next turn.

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 09:08:39 am »
+6

Hostage Taker
Action - $4

Put this on your Tavern mat
-
When you shuffle your deck, you may call this, to gain a card costing up to $6, to the bottom of your deck

Delayed gainer, with Pearl Diver/Subdeck fan-mech interactions
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.