Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Future of IsoDom  (Read 14166 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of IsoDom
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 11:34:15 pm »

...Is there any major problem with a Swiss? It handles dropouts, allows people to play multiple rounds even if they don't win, matches players by ranking pretty decently pretty quickly (round 3), allows for people to skip rounds if needed (byes).. and allows for people to get recognition for winning a rating section (Open, U40, U30 or something).

The main problem is that Swiss pairing is a lot more calculation intensive, and, frankly, if there's no online tool to make it work and make it easy for people to see their next round opponent.

In fact, I can't find a free program at all that will do that.  If anyone can, then maybe we could run a Swiss tournament.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 03:25:18 am »
+1

...Is there any major problem with a Swiss? It handles dropouts, allows people to play multiple rounds even if they don't win, matches players by ranking pretty decently pretty quickly (round 3), allows for people to skip rounds if needed (byes).. and allows for people to get recognition for winning a rating section (Open, U40, U30 or something).

The main problem is that Swiss pairing is a lot more calculation intensive, and, frankly, if there's no online tool to make it work and make it easy for people to see their next round opponent.

In fact, I can't find a free program at all that will do that.  If anyone can, then maybe we could run a Swiss tournament.

It's pretty hard. Certainly there are no generic, free, and polished ones. http://www.twinfeats.com/tf/twinfeats/Java/pairings/index.tfs this may help, but has some of the bells and whistles needed for a Chess tournament that obviously might not apply to dominion.

On the other hand, Swiss tournaments are comparatively easy to just do in an Excel sheet or something, not really that much harder than a round robin. Divide into brackets by #gameswon, split and pair, improvising when there is an odd number in a certain group (Lowest rated in group 5 wins plays highest rated in 4wins, etc.)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 07:10:52 am »

There's a Mtg tool that has an in-built swiss tournament organizer. Not online though, but it could be a nice way to do one-day tournaments:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtgbrowser/

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 08:20:57 pm »
+2

Actually, I'm pretty sure challonge supports a Swiss tournament. I set up a sample one just now: http://challonge.com/testswisssystem
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:06:36 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure challonge supports a Swiss tournament. I set up a sample one just now: http://challonge.com/testswisssystem

Huh... I was apparently looking in the wrong place.  That helps at least.

There is another factor, that people cannot easily "play ahead" if their next partner is finished with the round.  But it is cerainly something to consider.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.123 seconds with 21 queries.