Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 21: Curse you!  (Read 4610 times)

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 21: Curse you!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2021, 08:04:55 pm »
+1

Thanks, The Alchemist; glad you enjoyed.

Next contest up: Travellers cheques

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 09:53:30 pm »

Thank you for judging.

The goal with Fire Witch was to male a "Young-Old Witch" of sorts.  I added the -1 VP to you for Fire Witch so that:
* If they trash Estate, it's basically Monument (they trash and gain junk, and you are net 1 VP compared to them)
* If they trash Copper, it's a Cutpurse AND a Swindler, so no overall VP disadvantage is balance.
* If they trash nothing, it's a Witch but without the VP disadvantage.
* Trashing Curses is ideal, but it's no VP advantage to do so (unlike Old Witch). Once the Curses run out, the Curser has a net 1 VP advantage, so in late game it could be a tough choice whether to trash the Curse or not.

So playing it doesntn in and of itself give you a VP disadvantage, though it will  if the player you attacked has another way to trash Curses.

I was worried about it being too strong for $4 until I made those comparisons. Should I buff it ? I considered making tbe penalty for Curse trashing -3VP
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:06:23 pm by NoMoreFun »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 04:03:11 pm »

Timinou's Dock:

I like the non-attack player interaction aspect of it. I mentioned the problems with the wording in another reply, but that can easily be fixed with a different timing, like "end of your buy phase", so I won't count it against you. The downside for take a duplicate card is a little too light, I think the right move would be to take it just about every turn until you think you're about to end. The underline is a nice fun addition to dissuade taking too many (and I agree 6 is a better place to have it than 10), and there may be some fun dancing around it however, so its tough to see how it will play out. Name is very fitting to a landmark, but I don't see much of a connection to the effect, so as much as I like the simplicity of Dock (and the picture is quite nice as well), you don't get full points for theme.

Thanks for the feedback!  I fully agree with your suggestion about changing the wording to at the end of your buy phase.  I just didn't want to make the change in case anyone felt it would be unfair. 

With regards to the name, there were a few things that went behind it.  Firstly, since it was inspired by Scoundrels of Skullport, I wanted to give it a name syonymous with port.  And just as official Ports come in twos, I figured since you can duplicate cards with Dock, the name fits (well, sort of).  Finally, there is some word play, since the card can effectively "dock" your victory points.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.