Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #129: In Play  (Read 7547 times)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #129: In Play
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2021, 12:44:15 am »
+1

Shadow
Night - $3
Replay an Action card you have played this turn that is still in play.

It's cheap because most of the vanilla card effects (+$, +Action, +Buy, +Cards) are not very useful at the night time. The best target would be a gainer/attacker, like Marauder or Soothsayer

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2021, 02:36:04 am »
+1

A combination Workshop/Lab, this card alternates between gaining a card and drawing a card. Channel your inner inventor creating a new contraption in your workshop, and then test your prototype is the very same room doubling as a laboratory. DaVinci would be proud!

This card came about as I was trying to make two separate cards work, a cantrip workshop, which needs a severe limitation to not just delete piles, and an alternating lab ala ranger, which is hard to price at $3 or $4. The solution was simple, combine the two!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 02:38:20 am by The Alchemist »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2021, 04:27:49 pm »

24 hour warning should've been yesterday...
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2021, 07:08:54 pm »
+4

Apologies, thought the warning was due today.

24 Hour Warning

Entries accepted so far. Please shout if I missed anything.

Arsenal by Timinou
Dorp by Spineflu
Four Leaf Clover by AJL828
Florist by NoMoreFun
HauntedHouse by LibraryAdventurer
Hostile Village by Aquila
Labormen by Xen3k
Ring by Gubump
Shadow by Grep
Stroke of Luck by Arowdok
Trading Village by JW
Treasure Cove by Segura
Treetop Village by Mahowrath
Trophy by Faust
Twin by 4est
Visigoth by Mandioca15
Workroom by The Alchemist

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2021, 04:59:01 am »

The instructions are not quite clear to me. "costs $1 per differently named Treasure and Victory card" reads like shorthand for "$1 per differently named Treasure plus $1 per differently named Victory" - i.e. this would always cost at least $8 (with non-empty piles) as it counts itself twice. If it is supposed to be counted only once, I would write "$1 per differently named Treasure or Victory".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2021, 05:51:35 am »
+1

The instructions are not quite clear to me. "costs $1 per differently named Treasure and Victory card" reads like shorthand for "$1 per differently named Treasure plus $1 per differently named Victory" - i.e. this would always cost at least $8 (with non-empty piles) as it counts itself twice. If it is supposed to be counted only once, I would write "$1 per differently named Treasure or Victory".
also isn't this like.... your third time entering this? I've only been here for two years and like, contest 70 and the "promos" set design contest weren't *that* long ago.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 01:40:27 pm »
+2

A Remodel variant that lets you upgrade an action card you already played this turn.  And if you don't match it with any cantrip, village, etc... you can always trash it to get a $6 card.  As a bonus, if you pick up a new action card, you even get to play it!
he/him

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 02:04:23 pm »

A Remodel variant that lets you upgrade an action card you already played this turn.  And if you don't match it with any cantrip, village, etc... you can always trash it to get a $6 card.  As a bonus, if you pick up a new action card, you even get to play it!

This could whiff quite easily if you draw it without any other Action cards (or your $5-cost Action cards that you wouldn’t want to trash if there aren’t any $6-cost Action cards in the Kingdom). I would change the restriction of the gained card costing exactly $1 more to up to $1 more.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2021, 02:29:01 pm »
+4

Quote from: Warlock
Warlock -- $5
Action - Night
If it's your Action phase, play a card from your Warlock mat twice, leaving it there.
Otherwise, put a non-Command Action card you would discard from play this turn onto your Warlock mat.[/font]

Sorry this is last minute (I was trying the get the Fan Mechanic Contest judged). Here's my entry: a twist on Necromancer, it puts your Action cards onto a mat, and later lets you throne those Action cards from the mat. Like Mandarin or Monastery, it moves cards that are in play.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2021, 03:02:28 pm »
+2

This could whiff quite easily if you draw it without any other Action cards (or your $5-cost Action cards that you wouldn’t want to trash if there aren’t any $6-cost Action cards in the Kingdom). I would change the restriction of the gained card costing exactly $1 more to up to $1 more.

That is quite possible that it will miss (so does Throne Room).  I was wondering if that would reduce the value of this card, or just make it a dud altogether.

However, I believe your suggestion will allow someone to empty the entire Recast pile the first time they play one... self-trash, gain a new one, it's an Action, so play it... repeat until you get the last one in the pile.

I do have an outtake on the card that I might bring back, changing its function a fair amount, but leaving the same general idea of trashing a played card.  I'll think about it for a bit.
he/him

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2021, 07:48:18 pm »
+7

Warlock -- $5
Action - Night
If it's your Action phase, play a card from your Warlock mat twice, leaving it there.
Otherwise, put a non-Command Action card you would discard from play this turn onto your Warlock mat.[/font]

Sorry this is last minute (I was trying the get the Fan Mechanic Contest judged). Here's my entry: a twist on Necromancer, it puts your Action cards onto a mat, and later lets you throne those Action cards from the mat. Like Mandarin or Monastery, it moves cards that are in play.

You need Command type to stop infinite loops.
You play set aside Warlock to play itself twice, once to play a Smithy, once to play itself twice, ...

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2021, 01:08:59 am »

Submissions Closed

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2021, 03:08:43 am »

That is quite possible that it will miss (so does Throne Room).  I was wondering if that would reduce the value of this card, or just make it a dud altogether.

However, I believe your suggestion will allow someone to empty the entire Recast pile the first time they play one... self-trash, gain a new one, it's an Action, so play it... repeat until you get the last one in the pile.

I do have an outtake on the card that I might bring back, changing its function a fair amount, but leaving the same general idea of trashing a played card.  I'll think about it for a bit.

True, it could autopile easily with my suggestion.  Specifying "differently named" would prevent that.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 07:45:59 am »

True, it could autopile easily with my suggestion.  Specifying "differently named" would prevent that.

That's true... probably.

My outtake was to make the trash optional. But then it needed something else, and $2 was the easiest. But now it was way too powerful and had to cost at least $6, which wrecks the trash self option. So then it can't play the gained card. It would have cost $5, and been "+$2. You may trash a card you have in play. If you did, gain a card costing exactly$1 more."

Another option was a night card that trashed any card you would discard from play this turn (including treasures).

But I like the posted version better. I like that it sometimes whiffs, like throne room. And sometimes it's quite powerful.
he/him

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2021, 01:43:09 pm »

It would have cost $5, and been "+$2. You may trash a card you have in play. If you did, gain a card costing exactly$1 more."

I don't think that's a $5-cost card.  It's arguably better than Improve, but not unequivocally.

But I like the posted version better. I like that it sometimes whiffs, like throne room. And sometimes it's quite powerful.

I think it's fine for cards to whiff, as long as the upside is worthwhile.  In some Kingdoms, I think Recast in its current form will still be great.  But I think it can be quite awkward in others because of the restriction of gaining a card costing exactly $1 more.  That can really limit your options of what you are able to gain and play, especially since it is limited to trashing Actions that you have in play.   

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2021, 07:31:08 pm »
+1

It would have cost $5, and been "+$2. You may trash a card you have in play. If you did, gain a card costing exactly$1 more."

I don't think that's a $5-cost card.  It's arguably better than Improve, but not unequivocally.

In fact, I'd say that's actually WORSE than Improve. It's basically just Improve but you have to have the target card in play at the time you play Recast instead of by the end of your turn. That's significantly worse, and the only advantages that version of Recast would have over Improve are being able to activate on-trash effects at a more convenient time and being able to play the gained card in the same turn. Both of those are minor advantages compared to the huge disadvantage of not being able to trash cards that are played after Recast.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2021, 08:05:52 pm »

So I know submissions are closed, but if you haven't yet judged (and are willing to make an exception) I would like to update my submission of Workroom to a different card. If not, that is totally fine!

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2021, 02:34:27 am »
+2

Apologies, I haven't had time to finish judging yet.

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2021, 03:31:26 pm »
+6

I decided to choose interacting with what is in play as the theme for the competition because of the wide varieties in the way the official cards do so. I was keen to see what new and innovative ways people could come up with. You didn't disappoint. There are some really good and creative cards here.

Arsenal by Timinou
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877796#msg877796
I see this having two sweetspots. I see it being very strong in slogs, particularly if ruins are involved, where it is unlikely to affect shuffles. In engines the gain onto your deck ability can help set up your next turn. In weaker/less reliable engines what is better, the gaining onto your deck or not discarding your better cards? Difficult to say. I can see this being a skill card.

Dorp by Spineflu
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877368#msg877368
I think there is a nice balance here in that it is worth powering up and can power itself up, but doesn't create a monolythic strategy. The dynamics of where this is the only village could be interesting. It will probably create a rush for it, as you might need to use some Dorps to power it up. One possible edge case issue is that in games with more than 2 players and no other spammable cards not every player is going to be able to fully power it up.

Florist by NoMoreFun
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877408#msg877408
A worry I have with this card is whether or not it adds a new type of luck that previously didn't exist. You want this card hand at the beginning of your turn where it is very powerful. If you happen to draw it later on in your turn, it could end up being an overpriced Warehouse or worse.

Four Leaf Clover by AJL828
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877462#msg877462
Original and innovative, I like the idea of using the total cost of cards in play. One minor quibble, is that it might be possible to have triggered it accidently and not realised. Personally I think gaining a treasure might be a bit underwhelming, I think I would have preferred a reward that synergised better with a strategy that leads to someone playing $21 worth of action cards, even if that might have pushed the cost up to 6.

HauntedHouse by LibraryAdventurer
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877425#msg877425
Very interesting and original concept. The draw and topdecking for money could be very powerful. The compulsory trashing of a Province in hand is an interesting effect. Bishop has already proved the concept that trashing a province for VP is worthwhile, so I can see that you would want to trash one to gain the Ghost. This will have some very strong interactions, Farming Village for example. When there is no sifting I am wondering how much of a drawback the choice of trashing or topdecking a Province will be. I can see the card being very strong on some boards and weak on others. As the compulsory trashing only applies to Province, will this push players to alt VP strategies when they are available? It also gets a boost when Cemetary or Exoricst are in the kingdom as they provide other methods of gaining a Ghost.

Hostile Village by Aquila
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877817#msg877817
Nice. I think the trashing clause stops the card from being overpowered whilst still being worth playing.

Labormen by Xen3k
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877429#msg877429
My gut feeling is that this could be like Jack of all Trades, where a card does a number of different things that add up to a strong card. I like the way the cost reduction works means that it cannot reduce its own cost. This means it will be hard to gain enough of them to set up a mega turn, even though the cost of victory cards will be reduced. End game dynamics could be interesting.

Recast by Mathdude
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg878157#msg878157
I think this would be better if it allowed to gain cards costing up to $1 more than the trashed card, not exactly $1 more. I think currently its strength is quite board dependent. The card could open up some interesting end game options as you could trash cards you have played to gain victory cards.

Ring by Gubump
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877376#msg877376
A Copper gainer is a neat and simple idea. I agree with one of the comments that the concept could make a great heirloom. The problem is that what can be gained does need to be capped in some way. I also agree with the issue that others have pointed out. You can play one copy of a high power treasure you have multiple copies of, play a Ring to gain another copy of that, then play the rest of them.

Shadow by Grep
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877917#msg877917
Nice and simple idea. Agree that only certain action cards can be worth playing in the night phase, but there is enough of them to make this a worthwhile card.

Stroke of Luck by Arowdok
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877901#msg877901
The only submission that is an event. A Copper, Silver and Gold is 9$ and 3 buys. In return you get 4VP without having a dead card in your deck or it costing you a buy. Would this be a way of getting rid of treasures for reward after bootstrapping your deck or could it be a strategy in its own right. It could be either depending on what support is available. It could be very interesting in the end game on money boards. Once you are sure you are on your last shuffle, you might as well get this for the points each time you have a Copper, Silver and Gold in play.

Trading Village by JW
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877367#msg877367
I don't think powering it up would be a problem on most boards. I think this would be most interesting on boards where it is the only village. You would obviously have to play some that are not powered up, trying to minimise the number could impact strategy.

Treasure Cove by Segura
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877936#msg877936
With no other kingdom treasures of victory cards, this could up to $4 per turn and 4VP at the end of the game for a cost of $7. Looks good in comparison to Harem. In a game with Castles this is going cost a minimum of $15. Is that intended? In games with Knights you would also need to remember Dame Josephine bumps up the cost too.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877788#msg877788
The cost clause has some weird effects, but I don't think any of them cause any major problems and overall I like it. Has a strong synergy is you KC it, as the card will activate it's extra draw if you play a card costing up to 6. Gainers get a bit weird, Workshop can gain this but University can't.

Trophy by Faust
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877381#msg877381
My initial reaction to this was could it be swingy if you get a dud starting hand at the wrong time and your engine fails to fire. Whilst this can happen, the more I thought about it, the more I don't think this is a problem. This card will more often reward the player who builds the more reliable engine. I think would turn out to be a card for the player who most skilfully executes their strategy.

Twin by 4est
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877433#msg877433
This card wants you to have cards in your deck that you already have in play. Is this going to discourage diversity in strategies and create demand for the key cards in a kingdom? The card does have a self synergy, but it wants something else in order to make a strategy. Has it got the balance right? I think it is a difficult one to call.

Visigoth by Mandioca15
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877381#msg877381
A 4 cost card that you can trash when you play it for 3, maybe 4 or even or VP if you have built your deck a certain way. Yes please, looks good to me when the kingdom will support it. There will also be some boards (for example, if it is the only +buy) where you might want to hang onto it and build your deck in a way to try to avoid activating the trash for points. In such games the final turns might be interesting, having deliberately tried to keep the card, can you then activate the trash for points clause? I like the way it could make you play differently on different boards.

Workroom by The Alchemist
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg877919#msg877919
Alternates between a Lab and a cantrip gainer. I can see it being powerful on boards where it can gain plenty of engine components. I like that it cannot gain itself under normal circumstances to drain the pile. With cost reduction this can happen, but official cards like Magpie can run its own pile if it has the right support, so I don't see that as a problem.

Warlock by emtzalex
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20912.msg878230#msg878230
Interesting idea. I can see this being very powerful, the question is how long it takes to set up by getting the right cards onto your Warlock mat. I wonder if this could be a golden deck enabler by getting the right cards onto the Warlock mat.

And now for the bit I guess you are looking for.
WINNER!!!
Haunted House by LibraryAdventurer

Runner Ups
Labormen by Xen3k

Honorable Mentions
Trophy by Faust
Visigoth by Mandioca15
Dorp by Spineflu
Arsenal by Timinou

Congratulations LibraryAdventurer.
Thanks to everyone who entered.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:29:06 am by xyz123 »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2021, 09:44:12 pm »

Warlock by Majiponi
Interesting idea. I can see this being very powerful, the question is how long it takes to set up by getting the right cards onto your Warlock mat. I wonder if this could be a golden deck enabler by getting the right cards onto the Warlock mat.

This is not my card. I just said it needs fixing.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2021, 11:44:48 pm »

Warlock -- $5
Action - Night

You play set aside Warlock to play itself twice, once to play a Smithy, once to play itself twice, ...

Thanks for the feedback. You are of course correct. I was slammed judging the Fan Mechanic Contest so I had to put this out really quickly and didn't spend enough time thinking about all of the potential for loops.

Here is the fixed card:

Warlock -- $5
Action - Night - Command

Warlock by Majiponi

As majiponi pointed out, this was my card, not his (although he did provide good feedback).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2021, 01:55:06 am »
+1

Wow, thanks for my first win in these weekly contests!
I did not expect to win that with a card I made up on the fly.

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2021, 04:29:29 am »

Warlock -- $5
Action - Night

Thanks for the feedback. You are of course correct. I was slammed judging the Fan Mechanic Contest so I had to put this out really quickly and didn't spend enough time thinking about all of the potential for loops.

Here is the fixed card:

Warlock -- $5
Action - Night - Command

Warlock by Majiponi

As majiponi pointed out, this was my card, not his (although he did provide good feedback).

Apologies emtzalex, corrected.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.