Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Allies  (Read 22245 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Allies
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2021, 11:05:04 pm »

I personally like barbarian, finally an attack card that trashes provinces that stay trashed, or I mean not gained again. For someone who never got to play with saboteur, this is awesome. And it’s a useful attack card for weaker cards too because then they gain a curse. And it’s not all bad if they lose a province they get a duchy in its place better than no victory card at all
Essentially just the Locusts hex from Doom attack cards

It's a stronger attack than Locusts, though, since if you trash a card costing less than $3, you gain a Curse, which only happens with Estate and Copper with Locusts. This also means that if Barbarian hits a Curse, and the Curse pile isn't empty, you net no change in VP (you trash one Curse, but then gain another one), whereas Locusts hitting a Curse has a net positive effect. This could potentially be very painful with cost-reduction. A single Highway or similar card in play would mean that Barbarian would give a Curse for a Silver, for example. And it only gets worse with more cost reduction
They/them

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2021, 09:48:04 am »

It's basically a fixed version of Saboteur. I do think the difference with Locusts is somewhat negligible in most situations. I mean, it can still purify from Curses if the Curse pile is depleted. (that said, I'm kinda confused why the card had to to be this way and not "and gains a Curse if they can't". But Donald X has a good reason for this; you can't outsmart him when it comes to designing Dominion cards)

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2021, 04:38:56 am »

No no no, this is f.ds -- here we question every comma and fantasize about cards with slightly altered wordings! ;D
My opponent has more loot than me

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2021, 09:55:58 am »
+1

It's basically a fixed version of Saboteur. I do think the difference with Locusts is somewhat negligible in most situations. I mean, it can still purify from Curses if the Curse pile is depleted. (that said, I'm kinda confused why the card had to to be this way and not "and gains a Curse if they can't". But Donald X has a good reason for this; you can't outsmart him when it comes to designing Dominion cards)

I don't remember exactly why Barbarian has the wording it does, but I will note that it really sucks to e.g. trash your Village and gain a Curse when there are no cheaper Actions on the board. With Barbarian, if you lose a card in the "good card" cost range, you're not getting a Curse. Though it's not foolproof. $2 cards are liabilities and sometimes you're forced to gain them through previous Barbarians.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2021, 03:59:11 am »
+1

Is Allies going to deliver this month as planned, or are the supply chain issues playing havoc with it like so many other games?
For months now I can only repeat, that we won't know when it will come out until it's printed (in "early December"). I have never expected it this month, but we can't rule out this month until it's printed. It's early December but we do not know yet.
Damn you and your consistent messaging!

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2021, 01:17:09 am »
+2

Allies Prediction: Just as Menagerie had Snowy Village (and Sleigh), Allies will have  Present. The game will come with a 10-sided die to make that card work
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2021, 09:59:09 am »
+2

Allies Prediction: Just as Menagerie had Snowy Village (and Sleigh), Allies will have  Present. The game will come with a 10-sided die to make that card work

could lower the component mfg cost by making it gain $0-5 and using a d6

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2021, 11:08:07 am »
+3

True, but that sure is a weaker card. I'd say $1-$6 would be better.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2021, 06:23:47 pm »
+1

You could also leave it $1-$5, include a d6 and have the sixth face say "roll again."

Except that I don't think that is how the card works. It doesn't say "Gain a card from the Supply costing a random amount between $1 and $5." It says: "Gain a random card from the Supply costing from $1 to $5." Unless there has been an FAQ, the most obvious reading of that is that you have an equal chance of getting each card in the Supply that costs between $1 and $5.

This would be a different number of cards each game (and, indeed, might be a different set of cards each time you play it, as it would be affected by cost reduction), so the obvious way to do it IRL would be to have one copy of each potential card set aside (remembering that they are official in their respective piles), and if anyone plays Present (though I'm not sure why anyone ever would, except maybe using a Command card after playing 4 Highways), shuffle the cards and pick one to gain at random.

Alternatively, you could use the randomizers for the Kingdom cards, getting additional randomizers to stand in for Estate, Duchy, and Silver (and, if applicable, Potion). If not in use, you could use related cards to make it easier to remember--for example, Baron for Estate; Duchess for Duchy; Bureaucrat for Silver; an unused Alchemy card for Potion. Of course, if there is any discounting, you would have to have the more expensive randomizers available, as well as stand-ins for Gold and Province (although if you are just using random cards, you can simply change what they represent).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2021, 06:32:49 pm »
+1

I seriously doubt they would add a dice to dominion at this point. If they had plans to do that they would of done around the time seaside came out. Or for that matter the bace game would of had a dice. If you really think dice would be cool, your looking at the wrong deck builder.

Dale of merchants has a dice in each game. And only one set of animal folk merchant, in each uses a dice considering each game has at least 6 animal folk merchant sets and you play with at most 5 sets in a 4 player game. So the dice isn’t even used every game. And plus the ocelot, echidna, snowshoe hare and pangolin aren’t even close to the most interesting sets. So if you ask me if they were to add dice to dominion allies it would probably completely destroy dominion and then it would definitely be the very last expansion. A dice would make the game too random, and most gamers prefer strategy to luck in games.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2021, 03:07:25 pm »
+2

Sad that Allies was delayed till late February/early March. I was thinking it was still projected for January.

(I got a gift card for Christmas specifically intended for Allies when it's available.)

urza

• Swindler
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2022, 01:19:15 am »
+9

I had a bizarre dream last night in which I received a copy of Dominion: Allies and was trying to figure out how to play it.  In my dream, the "Allies" were minor effects kind of like the Boons (e.g. +1 Card), but I wasn't sure what caused them to trigger.  I couldn't find anything in the rules, so I asked this guy who was there, and he said, "Oh, you get the allies when nothing else in the game is happening.  So like, when you play a Horse, and then you return it to the Horse pile, that might be a good time to use an ally."

And I was like, "So there's no hard and fast rule, it's just whenever you want?"

And he was like, "Yeah, basically.  Just whenever there isn't anything else going on."

So I was obviously appalled that the notion of deterministic rules had been completely abandoned, and I tried harder to find further explanation of how the allies worked, but then because it was a dream everything just moved on and I forgot about it.

So anyway, I really hope that when this expansion comes out, all of the cards actually have rules about how they work!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2022, 02:37:31 pm »
+2

I had a bizarre dream last night in which I received a copy of Dominion: Allies and was trying to figure out how to play it.  In my dream, the "Allies" were minor effects kind of like the Boons (e.g. +1 Card), but I wasn't sure what caused them to trigger.  I couldn't find anything in the rules, so I asked this guy who was there, and he said, "Oh, you get the allies when nothing else in the game is happening.  So like, when you play a Horse, and then you return it to the Horse pile, that might be a good time to use an ally."

And I was like, "So there's no hard and fast rule, it's just whenever you want?"

And he was like, "Yeah, basically.  Just whenever there isn't anything else going on."

So I was obviously appalled that the notion of deterministic rules had been completely abandoned, and I tried harder to find further explanation of how the allies worked, but then because it was a dream everything just moved on and I forgot about it.

So anyway, I really hope that when this expansion comes out, all of the cards actually have rules about how they work!

Don't worry, there are precise rules!

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2022, 10:43:09 pm »
+5

Event: Anarchy

Play with no rules whatsoever.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2022, 09:35:44 pm »
+13

Don't worry, there are precise rules!

The imprecise rules will be in the follow-on edition, Dominion: All Lies. It'll be a 'l' of a different game.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:37:04 pm by Marcory »

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2022, 09:40:41 am »

Sorry to ask, but there are posts all over the place as to when and where I can order Allies
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2759111/article/39628008#39628008 - But Rio Grande does not have it available for today.
And why is miniture market have it at 31.99 and most other costs are around 44.95?

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2022, 09:47:59 am »

MM shows it as retail 44.95, special price 31.99, and that is consistent with how they have priced every other Dominion product.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2022, 10:19:49 am »

MM shows it as retail 44.95, special price 31.99, and that is consistent with how they have priced every other Dominion product.
Interesting.  Why would I purchase from Rio?  Additionally though I still do not see where I can order it.  The post link here says 'shipping today' - Shipping to where? ( I guess I am not patient enough)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.261 seconds with 21 queries.