Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Week 19: Join the Queue  (Read 7387 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
Fan Mechanics Week 19: Join the Queue
« on: August 31, 2021, 01:41:27 am »
+8

Queue
At the start of your turn, put one card from here into your hand

At the start of your turn, put a card from the Queue mat into your hand. It doesn't matter how the card got there, or how many cards are on the mat, or (contrary to the card's name) what order they arrived in - you put exactly one card from it into your hand at the start of each of your turns.

Cards on the Queue mat are face up (the same as Exile).

All the rules around "Exile", the noun and the verb, apply to Queue. To "Queue" a card means to put it on your Queue mat. You can refer to a card on your queue mat as "In your Queue".

Some modified official cards that might give you a sense of the mechanic:

So like the official Crypt, it puts treasures in your hand that you played this turn on later turns, one at a time. Unlike the official Crypt, it doesn't need to be a duration card, and all of the cards it
puts away are in the same Crypt. I think this is quite a bit stronger than the official card.

If you buy multiple official Reaps (not an easy feat), you get all the Golds at once next turn. With this version, you only get one per turn. Which is better? Hard to say - but what I want to illustrate here is that you can use the Queue mat to simplify some "start of your next turn" effects. Ideas that aren't particularly likely that there will be a long Queue won't be penalised. If the mechanic allows you to do an idea where "start of your next turn" wording would be too cumbersome, good.

You get to play these cards a lot more often than the official versions, but you could easily end up creating a very long queue. Be careful or you might end up having too many cards in your Queue to play all the ones you want to play before the game is over - although you get to leave your dead cards at the end of the Queue.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:08:54 am by NoMoreFun »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Week 19: Join the Queue
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:51:01 am »
+7

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 09:23:31 am »
+4

Workhouse • $6 • Event
At the end of clean up, after drawing a new hand, put your hand and deck into your discard pile.
Queue your discard pile.

You probably don't want to open this (possible when opening $5/$2 with baker or borrow in kingdom, and probably a couple other ways (cursed gold, etc)) but What if donate but it slowly all comes back to you?

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 09:41:29 am »
+1

Workhouse • $6 • Event
At the end of clean up, after drawing a new hand, put your hand and deck into your discard pile.
Queue your discard pile.

You probably don't want to open this (possible when opening $5/$2 with baker or borrow in kingdom, and probably a couple other ways (cursed gold, etc)) but What if donate but it slowly all comes back to you?

Are you essentially starting your next turn with 1 card in hand (one that you would remove from the Queue)?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:47:51 am »

Workhouse • $6 • Event
Queue your discard pile.

Are you essentially starting your next turn with 1 card in hand (one that you would remove from the Queue)?
That's right. It's got a time/opportunity cost to it, in addition to coins.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:07:10 am »

Workhouse • $6 • Event
Queue your discard pile.

It’s not too bad if you get a Hunting Lodge in the Queue or have a Guide on your mat.

I’m also thinking this wouldn’t be the worst idea in the opening.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:26 pm »

Workhouse • $6 • Event
Queue your discard pile.

I think only you can see the image, (maybe the trello board is private?) and others only can see a blank space
Who trashes the trashers?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 06:44:29 pm »
+1

Workhouse • $6 • Event
Queue your discard pile.

I think only you can see the image, (maybe the trello board is private?) and others only can see a blank space
better?

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 06:49:20 pm »
+1

Yes, it's visible now
Who trashes the trashers?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 07:08:50 pm »
+3

Limited to exactly 5 so that you can't continually force opponents to set aside the same Action turn after turn nor make opponents miss a turn by setting aside their whole hand.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:26:29 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 07:13:55 pm »

Limited to exactly 5 so that you can't continually force opponents to set aside the same Action turn after turn nor make opponents miss a turn by setting aside their whole hand.

why's this a duration?

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 07:27:38 pm »
+1

why's this a duration?

Because it originally played at the start of your next turn and I forgot to drop the Duration type.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +580
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 08:53:07 pm »
+1

Breadline - $4
Night
Queue a card from your hand or the top card of your deck.
You may Queue a Copper from play per $1 it costs.
----
Setup: Each player Queues 4 Copper from the supply.

A Monastery/Chapel variant that uses Queue to get rid of Coppers instead of trashing them. It alters the start of the game as you start with 4 Copper in Queue, so even if you do not Queue anything else, everyone will have a 6 card hand for the first 4 turns. Breadline lets you keep this perpetual extra card effect going and prevents you from being swamped with Copper later in the game. I priced it at $4 for this reason. I imagine games will accelerate quickly with the bonus buying power at the start. Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:15:50 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 01:04:18 am »
+2

Breadline - $4
Night
----

A Monastery/Chapel variant that uses Queue to get rid of Coppers instead of trashing them. It alters the start of the game as you start with 4 Copper in Queue, so even if you do not Queue anything else, everyone will have a 6 card hand for the first 4 turns. Breadline lets you keep this perpetual extra card effect going and prevents you from being swamped with Copper later in the game. I priced it at $4 for this reason. I imagine games will accelerate quickly with the bonus buying power at the start. Feedback is appreciated.

The setup clause does shake up the opening quite a bit, since players start with a deck of 3 Coppers and 3 Estates.  The most amount of coins you can have (in the majority of kingdoms with Breadline) in Turn 1 will be $4.  You also have a fairly high probability of seeing your Turn 1 purchase on Turn 2, since you will need to shuffle after Turn 1.

My initial concern when I saw this was that this could lead to swingy openings.  Say, for example, Player 1 has $4 (starting hand of 3 Coppers, 2 Estates, and adds a Copper from the Queue) on Turn 1 and buys a Militia.  At Clean-up, Player 1 draws their remaining Estate, shuffles, and draws their Militia, 2 Coppers and an Estate.  Player 2 only has $3 on Turn 1 (starting hand of 2 Coppers, 3 Estates, and adds a Copper from the Queue) and buys a Silver.  At Clean-up, Player 2 draws their remaining Copper, shuffles their deck and unfortunately for them draws 3 Estates and a Copper.  On Turn 2, Player 1 adds a Copper from the Queue and plays Militia (Player 2 discards 2 Estates) and is able to buy a $5 cost card.  Player 2 adds a Copper from the Queue, but again only has $3 to spend.  You essentially end up with an "opening split" of $4/$5 for Player 1 and $3/$3 for Player 2.             

You're misunderstanding the setup clause. You Queue 4 Coppers from the Supply in addition to your starting Coppers, not from among them.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 01:30:59 am »
+1

Breadline - $4
Night
----

The setup clause does shake up the opening quite a bit, since players start with a deck of 3 Coppers and 3 Estates.  The most amount of coins you can have (in the majority of kingdoms with Breadline) in Turn 1 will be $4.  You also have a fairly high probability of seeing your Turn 1 purchase on Turn 2, since you will need to shuffle after Turn 1.

My initial concern when I saw this was that this could lead to swingy openings.  Say, for example, Player 1 has $4 (starting hand of 3 Coppers, 2 Estates, and adds a Copper from the Queue) on Turn 1 and buys a Militia.  At Clean-up, Player 1 draws their remaining Estate, shuffles, and draws their Militia, 2 Coppers and an Estate.  Player 2 only has $3 on Turn 1 (starting hand of 2 Coppers, 3 Estates, and adds a Copper from the Queue) and buys a Silver.  At Clean-up, Player 2 draws their remaining Copper, shuffles their deck and unfortunately for them draws 3 Estates and a Copper.  On Turn 2, Player 1 adds a Copper from the Queue and plays Militia (Player 2 discards 2 Estates) and is able to buy a $5 cost card.  Player 2 adds a Copper from the Queue, but again only has $3 to spend.  You essentially end up with an "opening split" of $4/$5 for Player 1 and $3/$3 for Player 2.             

You're misunderstanding the setup clause. You Queue 4 Coppers from the Supply in addition to your starting Coppers, not from among them.

Doh!  I'm not sure how I misread that - it was crystal clear.  Never mind, Xen3k! 

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 08:23:56 am »

Workhouse • $6 • Event
Queue your discard pile.

It’s not too bad if you get a Hunting Lodge in the Queue or have a Guide on your mat.

can you explain how you think Hunting Lodge/Guide would help with this?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2021, 01:52:12 pm »

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 01:54:40 pm »
+2

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 01:57:59 pm »

Isn't this strictly better than Caravan?

Not when stacked!

Ooh right. But given the flexibility of the second choice; it still seems really good when stacked.... playing 3 of them is just like playing a Caravan and a Lab.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 03:55:29 pm »
+1

Workhouse • $6 • Event
Queue your discard pile.

can you explain how you think Hunting Lodge/Guide would help with this?

I didn't really think it through!

But now that I think about it more, I'm not sure you would want to buy Workhouse at $6 except in rare circumstances.  To hit that price point, you would need to have some decent cards and unless you are able to hit $6 fairly early, the drawback of having most of these cards stuck in your Queue seems pretty high (unlike Donate where you can pretty much guarantee that you can have them in hand at the start of your next turn).  If you repeatedly miss hitting $6, the more likely it is that Workhouse will do more harm than good, IMO. 

EDIT: I could see this being pretty nice on boards with duration cards that provide payload. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 04:29:52 pm by Timinou »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 04:15:43 pm »
+1

Note: updated the card. see the later post

Overpay Meets Queue meets +1 Card token... for a price

Its quite wordy as it is, and i would appreciate wording suggestions.

At first it was just its top part, but i thought "hey, what if there is no other Queue cards or no surplus actions?". So i added the Overpay option. Now, for 1$, you can essentially scheme a card you have in play. And hopefully be able to activate Consultants positive effect for a while...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 03:33:07 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:05 pm »
+5

Basically a Save/Scheme variant, though even in the absence of strong Scheme strategies, you can always default to Strategizing itself to basically function as a hireling that can't stack, with every Strategist played per turn on top of that acting as a buyless Sanctuary.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:57:58 pm by The Alchemist »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 07:47:25 pm »
+3

By the way No More Fun, none of your Queue versions of Canon cards work, because Queue can't stack whereas almost all of those do. Crypt lets you put a Treasure into your hand for each Crypt you've played, but your version only lets you put one regardless. Likewise you can't Crypt and Reap at the same time with your version of things. I think Queues need to be modified to be able to stack.
he literally mentions that in the post. they aren't equivalent, they're translations.

At first it was just its top part, but i thought "hey, what if there is no other Queue cards or no surplus actions?". So i added the Overpay option. Now, for 1$, you can essentially scheme a card you have in play. And hopefully be able to activate Consultants positive effect for a while...

this should probably be a duration to track which cards it has queued. Also you'll want the "+" in the cost to signal overpay is available.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:49:01 pm by spineflu »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2021, 08:07:18 am »
+1

this should probably be a duration to track which cards it has queued. Also you'll want the "+" in the cost to signal overpay is available.
What would a Duration version look like even? If you look at Invest for example, it seems okay to leave tracking these things to the player.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 08:08:31 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2021, 08:26:46 am »
+1

I don't think it needs to be a duration. It's similar to Invest, which already has you track a card in Exile, separate from other cards that are there.
he/him
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.