Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just turned down a game on Isotropic...  (Read 6059 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Just turned down a game on Isotropic...
« on: March 28, 2012, 03:13:42 pm »

Chapel, Colony, Farmland, Grand Market, Harvest, Hunting Party, Masquerade, Mountebank, Platinum, Sea Hag, Tactician, and Wharf

I dont think I have ever seen such a powerful set, made my head hurt even thinking about it!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Just turned down a game on Isotropic...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »

Why would you decline this? Looks pretty fun although there is a shortage of +action.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »

Wow. My brain hurts thinking about that set. Maybe this should be the next bot contest…

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:17:20 pm »
+2

Double Tact Harvest master race!

A man can dream
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »

Why would you decline this? Looks pretty fun although there is a shortage of +action.

Because I wouldnt even know where to begin! My brain hurts just reading the list out. What would I buy on 5!
There are just too many things I would want to try, and I dont think my 2 opponents would want to spend to wait 5 minutes a turn!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:12 pm »

Open Masq/Silver, accumulating Hunting Parties, pick up Mountebank? That's what I would do, I guess.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Well, on a board so hurting for +action, Harvest is out, especially as it will be outclassed by Platinum in vying for Colonies. I'd only consider Sea Hag to Farmland into Grand Markets, but then I'd have to be really committed to ending the game early on Provinces. Also, I'd definitely skip Chapel here. Sure, you will eventually get some semblance of an engine going with Tacticians and Hunting Parties, but this board won't net you the sleek engines that make it worth opening Chapel. Farmland may be crucial for eking out an extra Colony or two from your Platinums when your buying power starts to lag from greening.

I'd open Masquerade/Silver, aiming for Mountebank, then Hunting Parties and Tactician (I know there's a clash between these two, but I got a feeling that Tactician turns could really give an edge, especially boosted by HP). Strive for the Grand Markets (which, upon second thought, Harvest would be really good for)...

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »

Double tactician would be really wonderful here if I can get at least half the GMs. (Do something like... play 5 Grand Markets, a bunch of Hunting Parties, a Mountebank, then a Tactician--buy a Colony. Maybe keep a Chapel around to clear out incoming junk when necessary.)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

I've never understood why people turn down games based on card mix. I think a good part of the fun is seeing what you can make with any given set.

That said, after some thought, here's how I would play this one:

Open hag/chapel
Pick up a second hag, otherwise silvers on <5
on $5 pick up hunting party (skip tact - w go, gm and chapel we should be drawing the full deck soon)
Try to get to gm as fast as possible. Use farmlands to convert hags into gms as possible
get as many gm as you can. When deck is streamlined pick up two wharfs for terminal actions (need two for the duration effect)
Buy colonies only. Platinum otherwise. Obviously dip into provinces if you have to depending on where the score on piles are at.

Would be a fun game I think. I think you need the plats which makes double tact hard. But I could be wrong.

Ed

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:24 pm »

It's almost a waste to do double tactician here.  Almost.  With chapel and/or Hunting parties (whatever your strategy uses), you don't really need double tactician to make your deck constantly succeed. 

I have a feeling that mountebank is still really strong even with masquerades here because hunting party can accelerate the attack. 

There are just too many things I would want to try, and I dont think my 2 opponents would want to spend to wait 5 minutes a turn!
If there's two opponent's... that really complicates things.  Don't let that deter you though!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »

I've never understood why people turn down games based on card mix. I think a good part of the fun is seeing what you can make with any given set.

Ed

Good job I put some reasons up there then!

There were just too many of what I would consider Power cards that I would build a deck on in thier own rights and my brain just froze! I'd spend so long trying to think of the right decision at each card choice (Look at the three completely different strategies listed here for instance!)

Sure, it probably wuld have been fun, but sometimes you just dont want that level of complexity (in the same way sometimes I'll play draughts instead of chess with someone!)

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »

For a two player game, I'd be very tempted to just ignore sea hag and mountebank entirely and just run masquerade/hunting party. Open silver/masquerade and pick up another masquerade if you see him buy a sea hag or mountebank. Hunting parties should hit your masquerade most of the time which should be enough to beat chapel + attack. I'd need to simulate this to know for certain but my intuition is that hunting party + masquerade will beat attacks and still pick up 4 colonies before anything fancy with wharf/GM/Tactician gets rolling.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 06:57:46 pm »

It's almost a waste to do double tactician here.  Almost.  With chapel and/or Hunting parties (whatever your strategy uses), you don't really need double tactician to make your deck constantly succeed. 

I have a feeling that mountebank is still really strong even with masquerades here because hunting party can accelerate the attack. 

If there's two opponent's... that really complicates things.  Don't let that deter you though!

My thinking behind Tactician is that without it, we're stuck playing one terminal a turn, and I don't think a pure Hunting Party+X setup can be reliable enough in a Colony game with incoming curses.

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »

Doing a couple quick simulations and it looks like Masquerade/HP is dominate on this setup. It beats (unoptimized) chapel/Mountebank, chapel/sea hag, wharf/HP, chapel/wharf/HP, BM + Masquerade. I haven't tried it against any Tactician based play or anything with GMs as I find that's harder to simulate.

I'm sotra surprised that it does better than Wharf/HP/Chapel as I'd expect that to pull ahead in a colony game as Wharf is a better terminal than Masquerade in the absence of cursers. Just goes to show the power of Masquerade I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:51:26 pm by Kore »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:53 pm »

Double tactician uses an action, so you're still at one action... sure you use wharf and keep going but i doubt that's the benefit you're looking for. 

I think double tactician would be much too slow at generating the means to get consistent money... or it would be too slow as no tactician can get the exact same cards faster (grand market).  Double tactician just provides longevity and reliability. 

GreyICE

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:25 am »

Kings Court + Masquerade

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:53 am »

Kings Court + Masquerade

...is fun.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 03:18:54 am »

Kings Court + Masquerade
Or standard double Jackbot face-offs.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.541 seconds with 21 queries.