Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hireling Duration FAQ question  (Read 1323 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Hireling Duration FAQ question
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:21:08 am »

In Hireling it states 'If you use Disciple (or a similar card, like Throne Room) to play Hireling twice, you will draw two extra cards each turn, and Disciple will also stay in play for the rest of the game.' and 'If you play this with an emulator (or emulate a Throne Room and play a Hireling from your hand twice), the emulator stays in play for the rest of the game.'

I had not expect this as a rule.  Why does the Disciple 'stay in play for the rest of the game'?  What is the defining 'principle' of why the emulator would remain in place?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
Re: Hireling Duration FAQ question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 11:50:16 am »
+1

In Hireling it states 'If you use Disciple (or a similar card, like Throne Room) to play Hireling twice, you will draw two extra cards each turn, and Disciple will also stay in play for the rest of the game.' and 'If you play this with an emulator (or emulate a Throne Room and play a Hireling from your hand twice), the emulator stays in play for the rest of the game.'

I had not expect this as a rule.  Why does the Disciple 'stay in play for the rest of the game'?  What is the defining 'principle' of why the emulator would remain in place?
A Throne Room-type card playing a duration card stays out as long as the Duration does (and then until clean-up). Hireling stays out forever so so does Throne Room.

A Band of Misfits-type card playing a duration card stays out as long as the Duration card would have (). Hireling... so does Band of Misfits.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 01:46:52 pm »

A Throne Room-type card playing a duration card stays out as long as the Duration does (and then until clean-up). Hireling stays out forever so so does Throne Room.

A Band of Misfits-type card playing a duration card stays out as long as the Duration card would have (). Hireling... so does Band of Misfits.

As I mentioned I did not expect this aspect of how emulators work.  What was the defining 'rule' that covered this principle of how emulators work.  I am guessing the 'principle' is something akin to Parent card (Throne Room) stays in play as long as the Child card (Duration) is in play, so I guess I missed that in the basic rules.

But maybe that is what the FAQ itself was designed how to work since Durations got introduced.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:46:45 pm »

The main rule is in the Seaside rulebook and the wiki entry for durations:

Additionally, if a Duration card is played extra times by a card such as Scepter, that card also stays in play until the Duration card is discarded, to track the fact that the Duration card was played extra times.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 01:24:48 pm »
+1

As I mentioned I did not expect this aspect of how emulators work.  What was the defining 'rule' that covered this principle of how emulators work.  I am guessing the 'principle' is something akin to Parent card (Throne Room) stays in play as long as the Child card (Duration) is in play, so I guess I missed that in the basic rules.

But maybe that is what the FAQ itself was designed how to work since Durations got introduced.
I'm not sure what you're asking for. There's a pinned post explaining this change to Band of Misfits etc. They stay out with durations for tracking reasons, to attempt to track what's supposed to happen.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 06:23:53 am »
+2

Just to clarify, there are two rules here, one for Throne Room-type cards (cards that play a card an extra time) and one for BoM-type cards (cards that play a card without moving it into play), just like Donald laid out.

The rule for Throne Rooms is what GendoIkari quoted. The rule for BoMs is from September 2019 and can be found in the pinned post "Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks".
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.