Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 118: Short and Sweet!  (Read 12097 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 118: Short and Sweet!
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2021, 02:13:36 pm »

Renovate
$5 - Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it, or up to $4.

20 words is tough! There's probably a better wording, but it might require an extra word or two. It might be a bit on the weak side, but "up to $5" would make it a better Altar.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2021, 05:13:44 pm »

Peddler's Market
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1 per Peddler's Market you have in play.

A very simple Peddler variant.

Seems a bit strong for $5.  The first one you play in a turn is already a normal Peddler, but if you play more than one, it adds up really fast.  Two PMs give you +$3 total, three give you +$6, four give you +$10, etc.

I think it's okay they're a bit strong. They would be too weak for $6. How often will you really be having 3 or 4 together? If you do, you'll need +Buy, which likely means that's one PM you didn't buy instead (to buy the other card). And it would be tough to draw your deck buying these - you would need good trashing, and even then, probably still 1 or 2 each of a village and good draw.

Plus, if this card is the optimal strategy in a Kingdom, it will be contested, likely getting 5 each in a 2-player and less with more players... which again means not likely drawing your whole deck since you won't be buying other engine cards.

Peddler obviously isn't bought at 8. Occasionally at 6 if someone is desperate. Usually 4 or less. Poacher is 4, and I rarely chain more than 2 of those - they are great, but can be a bit damaging right before greening in some kingdoms.

For PM to cost 5, its hard enough to get. Chaining 2, for an extra coin (relative to Peddler or Poacher) seems fair. If you can land 3+ PM in a single turn, good for you. You deserve the coins. But it will often be an expensive Peddler/Poacher, I think.
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2021, 07:06:14 pm »
+2

Nah man, it is obviously too strong. Official double Peddlers like Conspirator and Vassal are not unconditional and thus interesting whereas this is too simple.

Or Grand Market, which is unconditional, but which costs $6 with a very burdensome buying restriction (and also gives you +Buy).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2021, 08:35:15 pm »
+1

Alright, submissions are closed! I see 2 new submissions! Thanks for participating, everyone!
I'll hopefully get a post out within the day, with all of my hot takes and judgments and etc.

As for fika monster's concern, I'd be concerned about it personally (as in if I were in your position, I'd think of a new card), but I'll take your submission as your own. Sorry, I didn't end up catching your post here until now, it got caught at the end of the last page. Oops.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2021, 11:48:30 pm »
+2

I'll stick with Reforge for my submission, though it does have the longest text and includes coffers, I think its the most balanced.

Just for fun, I want to show this card someone else made that would have been perfect for this week!:

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2021, 02:38:22 am »
+3

Compiling list of cards. I'll be done with this soon, and then I'll put in the comments afterwards.
Quote from: kru5h
Grand Workshop
⑥ Action

Gain a card costing up to
⑤. If it costs ④ or less,
gain a copy of it.

Double gainer! You don't see that very often. Stonemason does it, Develop does it; but they need to trash something first. I think this is a strong card. I mean, if you want Workshops, this be good. Though -- yeah, it costs ⑥! So you gotta work for it. Of course it can also gain ⑤s. It looks much better than Altar at gaining Victory cards near the end. It's a fine card all around.

Quote from: mandioca15
Violin
⑥ Treasure
+②
+1 Card per Violin you have
in play (including this).
You may play an Action
card from your hand.

I must admit I was confused by this for a long time until I noticed it was a Treasure. Whoops! Well, Treasures drawing cards is usually sad because you don't have Actions to play the Actions with. So Violin lets you play an Action. The draw portion of this card is awkward. Of course you don't want to be using it as main draw, because it's so hard to get going (and if you don't have an Action you want to play in hand, you've wasted an Action). So you're going to be wanting to be playing with drawing Actions, the standard fare of draw stuff. I bet there's some strange stuff you can do with Violin. It is technically a Village (gives ability to play terminal Action). It is a lot more interesting than I let on at first. I think it's kind of weak because of the awkwardness. Doesn't mean it's a bad card. I'm still iffy on the draw part. The complexity of how it draws sounds like it could be removed, and the card wouldn't be too different in power level. Not sure if drawing 2 cards from the start is a bit too much, though.

Quote from: LastFootnote
Knave
⑤ Action
Reveal your hand.
Discard a card per
Treasure you revealed.
Gain a Gold to your hand.

Simple Gold gainer! Most Gold gainers are card-draw negative because they don't gain the Gold to hand. This one can gain the Gold to hand, but if you have any other Treasures in hand, it's still card-draw negative. It looks tough to get Knave to not discard, considering you probably have lots of Golds in deck. I think it's weaker than most ⑤-cost Gold gainers. It's an okay card design though. Maybe there can be something more interesting added to it.

Quote from: emtzalex
Greedy Heir
③ Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
-
When you gain this,
take the Will.

Will - Artifact
4 VP

Artifact submission! Will... gets on my nerves. I don't really like Flag Bearer. This is different than Flag Bearer, though, in that the war only really matters when the game is ending. In 2-player, the swing of one taking the Will from the other is 8 VP! I'm trying to run through situations in my head; unfortunately I'm having trouble figuring out how this amount of VP works, along with remaining Provinces and all that. I'm currently convinced that 4 VP is a Probably Fine amount. It's kinda more than Duchy, so there's incentive to take it. After that, taking a Will from someone is even more VP. But it also lowers a pile and gives everyone +Buy, so that's something to be scared of. The endgame scenarios sound kind of complicated. I'm starting to like it, though.

Quote from: segura
Way of the Eagle - Way
Cards cost ① less this turn.

Very simple! I think it could have been an official thing. Props!

Quote from: spineflu
Sycophant
② Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your
deck. If it's a Sycophant,
put it into your hand.

It's a Will-o-Wisp that only draws Will-o-Wisps. Or a Wishing Well that only draws Wishing Wells. This might have done well starting with a W as well. Just joking.
Anyways, since this can only draw when it reveals a copy of itself, it gives a couple of draw if you can shove a bunch of them into your deck. I think I remember a card similar to this, where the pile was slightly bigger than usual, and you gained an extra one when you bought it or something. It was named something like Wolves. Anyways, it's fine. It's kind of weak, but hey, it can give a bit of draw once you get a bunch. Maybe it's fine. I love Will-o-Wisp as draw, so why not this? Well if I can gain a bunch of these, it's probably nice.

Quote from: anordinaryman
Charge - Event ⑧
Once per game: Play the top card of each Action
Supply pile in any order, leaving them there.

Woohoo! It's okay we have Populate already, so what's stopping this, right? There are those games where it's just spike a pricepoint and win (sorta). I don't think it's the case with this card too much, because spiking ⑧ is a little hard when building, unless you already have a bit of control. Maybe there are some boards where this is super powerful. I don't think it's actually the case most of the time? I could be wrong about that. Lemme roll some boards real quick. Okay I did (6 or so). Just from a quick glance, none of them were really good boards for Charge. I could have been wrong about that too. There was one where it was net money because there was so much payload on the board. So this event can probably exist, but I wonder if it'll be fun/impactful much of the time.

Quote from: Chappy7
Coin Collector
④ Action
+2 Cards
Choose one: gain a Gold,
and gain a Copper to your
hand; or play a Treasure
from your hand twice.

Gold gainer for ④! Well it gains Copper too. Compare it with Treasure Trove. Treasure Trove is stronger probably? Maybe? Mainly because this is terminal and Trove isn't. But Coin Collector looks pretty nice. Copper to hand is a lot better than Copper to discard. You've got some fancy Treasure tricks you can do with this sometimes, too. I think this is a solid (strong) card. I'm not sure if I'd put it at ⑤, but it probably isn't weak at ⑤? The Copper does hurt the strength of the Coin Collector, but that doesn't stop Trove from being a decently strong card. Coin Collector's Copper is a lot easier to trash too.

Quote from: Gubump
Bounty - Event ⑤
Once per turn: Gain a copy of each differently
named non-Victory card you've gained this turn.

Very similar in flavor/function to Commerce. Or it seems like it to me. This one gives you cards that you actually want though :jesterparody: I like it. It's simple and strong. I'm pretty sure I've seen the card before from you. It's a bit harder to activate than Pilgrimage because you need to gain a bunch of cards you want (and if you gained cards you don't want another copy of, well, too bad).

Quote from: NoMoreFun
Factory
⑤ Action
+3 Cards
Gain a Factory.

To put it bluntly, I don't like this. I feel like Factory snowballs too much. Factory gains Factory, you buy a Village, you gain 2 Factories next turn, next turn you have 7 Factories and the pile's empty because you're p1. Okay maybe I should play a game or two with this to really tell. I would have asked you to defend your case for this concern, but I don't think that was within my feedback capabilities before judging. Maybe if gaining the Factory had a cost to it, it would be nice? (You may ____ to gain a Factory.) Not sure exactly what to put there as a cost, but that's my first thought to make this idea more appealing.

Quote from: spheremonk
Charnel House
⑤ Action
+1 Action
Trash a card from your
hand. Draw until you
have 5 cards in hand.

I was going to say "this is a trashing lab, OP!" But we have Recruiter, and this is DtX, so it's a little different from a real Lab. I think it's interesting as DtX. It's a real strong card, but it probably has a right to exist. The function that it has as non-DtX and just being a pleasant Action-neutral card-neutral trasher kind of overshadows its awkward role as the core of a DtX deck. It's a fine card.

Quote from: X-tra
Mining Camp
④ Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
-
When you gain this,
gain a Silver.

I think I've seen this card before! Anyways, it's a fine card, it's just kind of plain. I don't think Donald X. would make a card like this, but it can exist. I'm not sure what else to say. It's a Village+(*okay maybe you don't want the Silver sometimes) and a Silver+(*okay maaaaaybe you don't want the Village sometimes). It's cute.

Quote from: majiponi
Golden Goose
⑤ Treasure

Gain a Golden Goose.
You may trash this to gain
a card costing up to ⑤.

Like the other self-gainer up there (Factory), I'm kind of worried this will just do a snowball thing. I mean it's a bit harder to spam this because it's a stop card. I'm sure I don't know how to play with this card much. I'd use it as a gainer like Feast; I might also save them for gaining a bunch of Duchies. Not sure. I think I'd like it better if it had some kind of payment to get another Golden Goose? Like choose one: +②, or gain a Golden Goose.

Quote from: faust
Laborer
⑤ Action
Gain a card costing less
than this.
-
This costs ① more per
Laborer you have in play.

There was a lot of ink spilled over this card. I prefer just getting rid of the confusing thing with cost increasing and saying "Gain a card costing up to ④ plus ① per Laborer you have in play (counting this)." Anyways, it's a fine gainer. It can get big, but not as big as Inventor can (mainly because other cards can't take advantage of it.) It also can never gain itself. So that's kind of sad. In fact it makes itself harder to get if you play more. Maybe this was in your design intentions, so all this ink spilled was necessary. I think I'd try to add complexity to the card in some other way.

Quote from: aquila
Thane
⑤ Action
You may discard the top
2 cards of your deck.
Look through your discard
pile; you may play an
Action card from it twice.

Throne Room that cares about discard pile. Well, it's certainly awkward because it might whiff. I wonder if the whiff is bad enough that it's good to allow you to cantrip instead of playing a card from discard twice. I think I'd prefer Throne Room in my deck than this card. Maybe this is even fine at ④, I dunno. If you do end up playing a card you like, it's like Throne Room +1 Card. Which is pretty nice, but again, only if you end up playing a card you like. The search space is smaller (assuming you start with an empty discard pile at start of turn).

Quote from: Shael
Shared Border - Landmark
When another player buys a Victory card,
you may discard a Victory card costing
exactly ③ less than it, for +2 VP.

I don't think this is a very fun card. Like most Landmarks, I don't expect that it'll be impactful often. And when it does, it's mostly just luck. I mean yeah, you can seed your turns with a Victory card if you also want a higher chance to dud. Mostly, I don't really like Reactions from starting hand. They're hard to make fun imo.

Quote from: AJL828
Sentinel
④ Action - Duration
Now and at the start of
your next turn: Exile a
card from your hand.
+1 Card per ② it costs
(round down).

First thought is Amulet. I think it's pretty strong. It really makes sure you don't dud in the endgame: if you've drawn a Province in your starting hand, you're super happy. And if you have good cards in hand, you're sitting pretty. I think it's one of my favorite cards in this bunch. I don't think it's too OP at ④?

Quote from: venusambassador
Jeweler
④ Action
You may play a Silver
from your hand, for
+2 Cards and +1 Action.
This feels very Stablesy, except even harder to collide. I believe another person already mentioned this. If you don't find this with a Silver, you're really sad. I think if this gained a Silver, it would still be kind of weak, but it would be decent (hey it gains Silvers if you want them). I prefer the wording "If you did" just to clarify that yes the +2 Cards and +1 Action is separate from the Silver.

Quote from: fika monster
Morning Walk
③ Action
+2 Cards
If you have no other Action
cards in play, +1 Action.
It's a simple card. If you want it to be a Lab, you need it in your starting hand. So either find a way to topdeck it, or have a couple more Moats in your deck. It's fine. The question between ③ and ② is tough. The card is fine.

Quote from: Timinou
Tutelage - Project ⑥
After you play an Action card, you may play
a cheaper Action card from your hand.
Wheee! I remember a Project from psly that was similar, but it let you play a card costing exactly ① more. This is a lot more flexible, though, so I think it's probably a lot stronger. I know you mentioned this, but I don't like that you can go to Hell and back on another player's turn, potentially. I'd prefer a "During your turns" clause.

Quote from: exfret
Damaged Smithy
② Action
+3 Cards
Choose one: Take <1>;
or discard a card.
It's fine! +3 Cards, discard a card, is already a decent improvement over +2 Cards, I think. The flexibility is nice. I like it.

Quote from: mathdude
Peddler's Market
⑤ Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+① per Peddler's Market
you have in play
(counting this).

I think the way this accelerates makes the split too sad to lose. 6-4 split is 11 coins of difference? I mean you might think that hey maybe there's just a pileout when the pile runs, it just gives so much money. By itself, it's still real strong I think. You might see a trend in these cards I'm pointing out; with Factory, Golden Goose, and Peddler's Market, they get bigger and bigger when you have more of them. Hey, would I like Bridge if it were submitted? Uh.... maybe not to be honest. I mean Bridge is a terminal stop card, so it's considerably harder to spam than these other ones.

I'm counting a total of 22 submissions! I'll double check to see if this is the case.
Edit: missed The Alchemist's Reforge and JW's Renovate.

Quote from: The Alchemist
Reforge
② Action
Play then trash a
Treasure from your hand.
For each ① produced,
get +1 Coffers instead.

It's a fine card. It trashes and help hit price points because of the Coffers. Well, it doesn't help hit price points much the turn it's in your hand. But it costs ②, I'm not expecting it to be Moneylender or Priest. I would word it something like: "You may play a Treasure from your hand, getting +1 Coffers instead for each ① it produces. Trash it."

Quote from: JW
Renovate
⑤ Action
Trash a card from your
hand. Gain a card costing
up to ② more than it, or
a card costing up to ④.

I don't think this is weak. Copper/Curse into a nice card sounds great. Yeah, it can't gain ⑤s from Coppers. We've all got limitations. It's a very simple twist on Remodel! I wish I'd thought of this. It's different enough from Altar, I think.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:35:39 pm by MochaMoko »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1681
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2021, 11:02:28 am »

Quote from: Gubump
Bounty - Event ⑤
② Action
Once per turn: Gain a copy of each differently
named non-Victory card you've gained this turn.

You have a typo here. My submission's a Event, not a Event and a Action.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2021, 10:57:15 pm »
+2

Alright! With that all said and done.

Winner: Sentinel by AJL828

Runners up:
Renovate by JW
Grand Workshop by kru5h
Way of the Eagle by segura
Bounty by Gubump
Damaged Smithy by exfret
Reforge by The Alchemist

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +386
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2021, 11:14:37 pm »

Not to be that guy, but JW's card is quite similar to one of my old cards. Not that I have any right to complain; a few years ago I accidentally submitted a card that was very similar to one of Hypercube's events. Also, I accidentally copy Asper all the time. Point is that I ain't mad, but still feel it needs to be pointed out.

Promotion

Congrats to AJL828 and thanks to MochaMoko for hosting!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2021, 11:58:26 pm »
+1

Not to be that guy, but JW's card is quite similar to one of my old cards. Not that I have any right to complain; a few years ago I accidentally submitted a card that was very similar to one of Hypercube's events.

Interesting! I am confident that I have never seen Promotion. Rather, I thought that I could submit a slight variant of my redesign of Rebuild (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18337.msg749363#msg749363), but realized that it would never fit in under 20 words and had to make greater adjustments accordingly.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2021, 01:48:35 pm »

I'll stick with Reforge for my submission, though it does have the longest text and includes coffers, I think its the most balanced.

Just for fun, I want to show this card someone else made that would have been perfect for this week!:

yes, I remember this one, it was a really nice card ; for the credit it was the first card made by Sakeena ( you may find it here )
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.