Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do some people play so fast?  (Read 2384 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
How do some people play so fast?
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:45:05 pm »

I've noticed that most players on Isotropic take a second or so between plays, but some seem like they're running a bot or clicking cards faster than humanly possible.  Based on the speed I can click on the cards, I don't think that I would be one of these.  My guess would be that the text mode has faster input (I never use it) but I was wondering if anybody knew for sure.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: How do some people play so fast?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

Ive been told on more than one occasion during very click intensive games (scry, hamlet) that I play incredibly fast. And I usually use image interface. I still take time to decide on things but most of the rote stuff like discarding estate/coppers just comes pretty instinctively. It could also be the difference between a good and bad internet connection. I've played on computers with slow connections and i feel like i have to wait forever in between clicks.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:46 pm »

Biggest difference for me is if I am using a mouse or my crappy touch pad on my laptop. The text feature helps too, but I experience more misclicks with it than with images--except for constantly mixing up the pictures of Baron and Bishop...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »

I've noticed that most players on Isotropic take a second or so between plays, but some seem like they're running a bot or clicking cards faster than humanly possible.  Based on the speed I can click on the cards, I don't think that I would be one of these.
I see myself in this.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »

I always take some time at the start to think about what I'm going to do in any given game, and after that I play extremely fast, and I also use the image interface. I think it's a combination of knowing what cards your deck needs from the get-go and having time during an opponents' turn to think about what exactly to do next. There are still times when endgame decisions take some extra thought. As jonts implied, instincts about how to play cards that require decisions become pretty fluid once you've played enough games.

I don't mind at all that other players play at slower speeds though. I think it's pretty interesting to see how people process the game.

That's not really what I'm referring to... I mean the game seems to plain run at different speeds against some players.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:12:28 am »

My bad, now that I've re-read this I feel like an idiot.

In regards to your actual question, I know that I am able to play quickly thanks to the speed and placement of the left-click key and touch pad on my laptop. If I know what I'm going to do with my hand before my turn begins I hover over the card i need to play and click it the instant my turn starts. In hands composed of just treasure my turn can be over in under a second. I'm sure having a good connection is part of it too, but I'm not sure it'd be the interface - maybe some people are much more used to the text option, but when I've tried it it actually slows me down more than anything. I can't recall running into anyone that was so fast it made me suspicious.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:15:25 am by PerdHapley »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:39:30 pm »

The speed that people play (and that I am forced to play) is another reason why I like the physical cards better.  It's easier to see what's going on and i end up doing much better in person...

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »

I just played a game in Chrome for the first time since Firefox was cooking my cpu, and noticed it runs isotropic a lot faster.  Maybe that's the explanation.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.762 seconds with 20 queries.