Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gain Emporium in other player's turn with 5 Durations in play  (Read 3406 times)

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile

If it is my opponent's turn and I gain Emporium (maybe due to Messenger with cost reduction) and I have five duration cards out, do I get the On-Gain bonus of +2VP ?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Gain Emporium in other player's turn with 5 Durations in play
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 05:03:05 pm »
+5

I don't see why you wouldn't.  This could also could happen if your opponent Swindles you one, or Saboteurs your King's Court/Province/ect.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:05:11 pm »
+6

If it is my opponent's turn and I gain Emporium (maybe due to Messenger with cost reduction) and I have five duration cards out, do I get the On-Gain bonus of +2VP ?

Yes, of course. Assuming the Duration cards you have in play are also all Action cards, that is. (There are no Treasure–Duration cards, but some were tried during Adventures development.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:06:37 pm by LastFootnote »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:42:47 pm »

Yes, of course. Assuming the Duration cards you have in play are also all Action cards, that is. (There are no Treasure–Duration cards, but some were tried during Adventures development.)

You should be sure that any outtakes you hint at aren't likely to be candidates for possible future expansions.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:16:38 pm »
+3

You should be sure that any outtakes you hint at aren't likely to be candidates for possible future expansions.
He's probably in good shape if he's just repeating stuff from the Secret Histories.

I tried a Treasure - Duration. To not be wonky with cards like Counterfeit, it had to have an "if this is in play" clause on the next turn's +$2. That looks weird though. So then it had the penalty of leaving play if someone bought a Province, which gave the "if this is in play" part meaning. Then it got a bonus instead, you could discard it from play to Moat one Attack. And well. It was a dud, it showed up at the bottom of people's lists of cards sorted by how much they liked them. I did better Treasures.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 02:12:02 am »

But durations are already wonky with things like procession!
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

DaveS

• Steward
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 03:04:04 pm »

I take it that the "Action cards in play" for Emporium would include any Falconer, Black Cat, Sheepdog and Village Green played out of turn during the same turn.  Is that correct?

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 03:15:07 pm »
+2

I take it that the "Action cards in play" for Emporium would include any Falconer, Black Cat, Sheepdog and Village Green played out of turn during the same turn.  Is that correct?
Only the ones in the play area of the person gaining the Emporium. Specifically it counts actions you have in play, where you refers to the person gaining it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1350
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 01:11:09 am »

If you have the Ferry token on the Patrician/Emporium pile, then a Falconer played as a reaction could gain an Emporium, and count as the 5th Action card in play

Caravan Guard is another card that could work that way
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:16:27 am by mxdata »
They/them

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 05:57:13 am »
+1

This counts Action cards in play, including Action cards played this turn, Duration cards in play from previous turns, and Reserve cards (from Dominion: Adventures) called into play this turn.

Other Rules clarifications:
Since the attempt to gain 2VP (and thus, the check to see how many Actions are in play) has "when-gain" timing, if another effect with "when-gain" timing brings more Actions into play (such as Duplicate being called), the player can choose to resolve the effect bringing the Actions into play first, delaying the attempted VP gain until after those effects are resolved. This can lead to instances where when an Emporium is first gained, fewer than 5 Actions are in play, but the player still gets 2VP, since they have chosen to do so after bringing a sufficient amount of Actions into play. For example, with only four Actions in play, a player could buy an Emporium, choose to call Duplicate first, then gain 2VP (since they now have 5 Actions in play), then another 2VP from the Duplicated Emporium.
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:30:05 am »

The Night–Duration cards from Nocturne would be actual examples of what you're talking about.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 11:37:50 am »

If you have the Ferry token on the Patrician/Emporium pile, then a Falconer played as a reaction could gain an Emporium, and count as the 5th Action card in play

In the context of gaining on another player's turn, though, it would be that player, not you, that would have to have their Ferry token on the Patrician/Emporium pile.

This counts Action cards in play, including Action cards played this turn, Duration cards in play from previous turns, and Reserve cards (from Dominion: Adventures) called into play this turn.

Since the attempt to gain 2VP (and thus, the check to see how many Actions are in play) has "when-gain" timing, if another effect with "when-gain" timing brings more Actions into play (such as Duplicate being called), the player can choose to resolve the effect bringing the Actions into play first, delaying the attempted VP gain until after those effects are resolved. This can lead to instances where when an Emporium is first gained, fewer than 5 Actions are in play, but the player still gets 2VP, since they have chosen to do so after bringing a sufficient amount of Actions into play. For example, with only four Actions in play, a player could buy an Emporium, choose to call Duplicate first, then gain 2VP (since they now have 5 Actions in play), then another 2VP from the Duplicated Emporium.

I know you're just quoting the wiki, but if we're being precise, this last sentence is not exactly correct, right:

For example, with only four Actions in play, a player could buy an Emporium, choose to call Duplicate first, then gain 2VP (since they now have 5 Actions in play), then another 2VP from the Duplicated Emporium.

You would:
• buy Emporium
• call Duplicate
• gain a 2nd Emporium
• collect 2VP from the Duplicated Emporium
• gain the bought Emporium
• collect 2VP from the Bought Emporium

The end result is, of course, completely the same.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 12:29:23 pm »

In the context of gaining on another player's turn, though, it would be that player, not you, that would have to have their Ferry token on the Patrician/Emporium pile.

Oh, right, of course, because it's "costs less on your turns", not "costs less for you"
They/them

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 02:58:12 pm »
+1

I know you're just quoting the wiki, but if we're being precise, this last sentence is not exactly correct, right:

For example, with only four Actions in play, a player could buy an Emporium, choose to call Duplicate first, then gain 2VP (since they now have 5 Actions in play), then another 2VP from the Duplicated Emporium.

You would:
• buy Emporium
• call Duplicate
• gain a 2nd Emporium
• collect 2VP from the Duplicated Emporium
• collect 2VP from the Bought Emporium

The end result is, of course, completely the same.

Duplicate's call is on-gain, not on buy, so you would, in fact, gain the bought Emporium first. You can't call Duplicate yet on step 2 because you haven't gained anything yet.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 03:20:16 pm »

Whoops, you're right that the gain happens, first, but (I think) I'm still right about the VP tokens. Again, it's just pedantic at this point - I'm not even sure I can think of a case where it could ever matter?

• buy Emporium
• (when gain bought Emporium) call Duplicate
• gain a 2nd Emporium
• (when gain duplicated Emporium) collect 2VP from the duplicated Emporium
• (when gain bought Emporium) collect 2VP from the bought Emporium
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 01:41:00 am »
+1

Whoops, you're right that the gain happens, first, but (I think) I'm still right about the VP tokens. Again, it's just pedantic at this point - I'm not even sure I can think of a case where it could ever matter?

• buy Emporium
• gain a 2nd Emporium

Since the 2 VP from the first Emporium and the calling of the Duplicate are both triggered by the same event (namely, gaining the original Emporium), I think you could technically choose the order that they're resolved, meaning you could choose to call Duplicate before or after gaining the 2 VP
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 09:21:18 am »
+1

• buy Emporium
• gain a 2nd Emporium

Since the 2 VP from the first Emporium and the calling of the Duplicate are both triggered by the same event (namely, gaining the original Emporium), I think you could technically choose the order that they're resolved, meaning you could choose to call Duplicate before or after gaining the 2 VP

Yes, but this was for the scenario where you had to call Duplicate first, in order to have it be the 5th action card in play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.066 seconds with 21 queries.