Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special  (Read 17508 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special
« on: May 24, 2021, 05:40:06 pm »
+8

WDC #116: Make me *less* special

With each new release of a Dominion expansion come new mechanics. And often, the weekly design contests reflect that: "Create a card that gives Villagers"; "Create a new Way."

But there are some mechanics that have gotten less fanfare, in fact there is only 1 official card (or card shaped thing) that uses it:

Examples, though in no way comprehensive (also, please let me know if I'm mistaken and missing some other card that uses the same mechanic)

Masquerade - only official card to involve passing
Werewolf - only official Action-Night card
Prince - only official Action card that costs $8 (not including Peddler that is $8*)
Grand Market - only official card that restricts buying it based on cards in play
Mountain Pass - only official card that involves bidding

This weeks contest is to "de-uniquefy" a unique Dominion mechanics. Please mention the particular mechanic and the official card that uses it in your post.

A couple of notes:

• I had originally come up with this idea before Menagerie came out and there were even more options (e.g. Peddler was the only card that changed cost), but I hope that there are still many good options out there

• taken to an extreme any official card can be seen as a unique combination of mechanics, so it may be difficult to disqualify any entry. However, the spirit if the contest is to try and pick as general a mechanic (or combo) as possible, and entries will be judged accordingly. e.g. if your entry is "+1 Action. Now at the start of your next turn, +$2", because Merchant Ship is the only card that  provides $2 this turn and next, thus will not get a high grade.

• similarly, posting an entry that shares a non supply card (e.g. a card that can gain you a Mercenary) likely won't come off as an especially unique mechanic (even though, in the example, Urchin is the only official card that can do that)

• given how the idea of how unique a mechanic is can be subjective, if you're unsure, feel free to ask, and I will opine before contest end on the uniqueness of your chosen mechanic

Judgement:

In addition to the aforementioned, my general criteria continues to be: Is this a card I wish I had designed? So I will look towards it being interesting and fun, foremost, and at least somewhat thematic. While balance is also important, if it's a card that has some imbalance but potential to be fixed, it won't lose many points. I also do tend to lean towards "simpler is better", knowing that it is sometimes in conflict with "interesting and fun".

Submission Deadline:

Entries and revisions must be submitted by 12:01 Forum Time (16:01 UTC) on Tuesday, June 1st. Some time around then, I'll make the outline post showing all the latest versions of the entries I've seen, so you can confirm I haven't missed any.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2130
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 06:59:22 pm »
+6

Street Vendor
Action - $4
+1 Action
+$1
Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy a card to gain it to your hand.

(Unique mechanic: Buying cards during your Action phase, currently only used by Black Market)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:43:02 am by NoMoreFun »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:26:18 pm »
+2

Supermarket
cost $5 - Action - Night - Duration
If it's your Action phase, +$3 and +1 Buy.
Otherwise, at the start of your next turn, +$2 and +1 Buy.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 12:31:24 am »
+4

Here's my submission for this week. Hidden Village is a Shanty Town variant, but the Lost City part only activates if you have the same number of Hidden Villages in hand as your opponent, using a unique card back to check (so no one reveals their hand). This obviously draws inspiration from Stash, the only official card with a different card back (I used the Stash back here, however the actual version of Hidden Village should have a different back to distinguish from Stash). Stash is a funny card where the unique back mechanic is super wacky and different, yet it's attached to a boring, expensive Silver which, aside from the occasional gimmicks, is usually weak and not much fun to play with. Hidden Village is my attempt to mitigate these issues and make a unique backed card that's more useful and interesting. By being an inexpensive village, these will always get picked up, and the card back mechanic is used more explicitly for player interaction. You still get many of the gimmicks (e.g. Mystic), though without the clunky shuffling thing Stash does (i.e. you shuffle these normally).

My biggest question here is cost. It's currently $3 to mirror Shanty Town, however I feel like this could be slightly easier on average to trigger than Shanty Town, so perhaps it should be $4 instead? I'd love feedback!

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 02:56:57 am »
+7

Market Town (Action, $5*)

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
———
You can’t buy this if you have any Market Towns in play.

A Lost City variant that uses the Grand Market buy restriction, a mechanic which I think is underused.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +491
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 04:23:43 am »
+1

I tried making a list of unique Dominion mechanics: Someone tell me if any of these are incorrect, as there doubtless are some goofups made on m,y part

seaside
Tactician - Only card to discard entire hand for next turn benefit? Ghost ship - Only card to force opponents to topdeck cards from their hand?
Treasure map - Only card that trashes itself and a copy of itself for a huge benefit?
Treasury - Only card That topdecks if you didnt buy X card top?
Island - Only card to basically exile itself and a card from your hand?
Embargo - Only card to use the embargo token, and make a certain pile give curses
Native Village - Only card to use the native village mat
Pearldiver - Only card to look at the bottom of your deck?
Smugglers - Only card to gain a copy of a card your opponent gained last turn?
Outpost - Only action card to give you an extra turn after this one (there are events : Does those count?

Unique Alchemy cards?
Philosophers stone - Only card that cares about deck and discard pile
Possesion - Thank god there is no card like it
Alchemis - Only card that, when you discard it from play, you may topdeck if you have X card in play.
Transmute - Only card that gives you a certain card based on the type of the card you trashed.
Golem - Only card to Reveal decks in your deck untill you find a certain card and lets you play it.
Scrying pool - Only card that lets you reveal action cards and then draw all the revealed action cards.
Herbalist - Only Card that when discarded from play, lets you topdeck a Treasure.

Prosperity Uniqe cards?
Counting house - Only card that Puts all X cards (Coppers) in discard into your hand
Contraband - Only card that removes the option to buy a Kingdom card.
Mint - Only card that when bought, trashes certain cards you have in play.
Bank - Only Treasure card that cares about number of treasures in play? (does Wishing lamp discount this?)
Vault - Only action that lets other players choose if they wanna discard 2 cards to draw a card
Venture - Only card to reveal cards in your deck until you find a treasure, then lets you play it
Loan - Only card that reveals cards in your deck untill you find a treasure, then lets you trash it or discard it.

Cornucopia unique cards?
Tournament - Only card to have a prize pile with it.
Harvest - only card to give you money based on unique cards revealed
Horn of plenty- only card to let you gain a card based on unique card in play.
Diadem- only card to give you +$ based on leftover actions (or villagers)

----

I could go on but i dont really want to read the entire dominion wiki
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:43:25 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 05:57:53 am »
+1

Unique like Jester, in that it can junk your opponents with varying cards depending on what they already have in their deck and discard to it. (At least it was the only officical card that can do it. If I am wrong, please tell me.)

I hope this makes for interesting decisions, especially for your opponent(s).

PS: If you play with more than 2 players and think it matters, the order is as follows: The players discard in play order starting with the player to your left, and then you choose whether they gain copies or not.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 06:55:45 am »

Unique like Jester, in that it can junk your opponents with varying cards depending on what they already have in their deck and discard to it. (At least it was the only officical card that can do it. If I am wrong, please tell me.)

PS: If you play with more than 2 players and think it matters, the order is as follows: The players discard in play order starting with the player to your left, and then you choose whether they gain copies or not.

I am not sure whether the decisions of the opponents will be interesting. Early on I guess, opponents discard Estates or Coppers instead of their precious Action cards. Late in a game they discard Duchies and Provinces. In between depends largely on the trashing abilities provided by the Kingdom. Without trashing, I would try to green early to have something to discard. With good trashing, I would likely precede as usual and discard junk.

What would this make more interesting is when the opponents can draw a card after they discard one. This would encourage them to discard a mediocre card by having the prospective to draw a better one. Victory card with a high VP value would be still an issue I guess, but that could be addressed as well (e.g. they gain a Curse akin to Jester). The - discard then draw a card - mechanic could also mean that a restriction of 5 or more cards in hand is not necessary. One has to evaluate whether it would be too harsh when a second Raven is played or with other hand-size attacks like Militia on board.

I am not exactly sure what makes this card unique with Jester, i.e. Swindler works in a similar way.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 07:34:10 am »

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
———

A Lost City variant that uses the Grand Market buy restriction, a mechanic which I think is underused.

It should be fairly easy to grab at least 2 of them relatively early, probably too easy. Anyway, I would change "buy" to "gain".

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 08:32:04 am »
+2

Workroom: Part workshop, part laboratory, perfect for the aspiring Inventor! Currently the only other card to care even or odd numbers of card in play is Idol. Though the argument could be made that Journey tokens constitute an almost identical effect, so I understand if this is disqualified.

(Edit:)
If it is disqualified, I'll just put my backup submission here:

Unique-breaking in two ways, being the only non-split pile supply card to give Plat's $9 a run for their money (literally), and Grand Market's buy restriction
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:35:33 am by The Alchemist »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 09:13:31 am »
+2

Refuge - $3
Action/Command

Play a face-up, non-Duration Action you have in Exile, leaving it there and turning it face down.
-
When you gain or trash this, exile an Action from the supply.
This utilises the Necromancer mechanic of flipping cards face down. Note that, unlike with Necromancer, they are not flipped back at the end of the turn.

Version history:

Version 0.1 did not have the on-trash ability.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:08:07 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 09:17:11 am »

Here's my submission for this week. Hidden Village is a Shanty Town variant, but the Lost City part only activates if you have the same number of Hidden Villages in hand as your opponent, using a unique card back to check (so no one reveals their hand). This obviously draws inspiration from Stash, the only official card with a different card back (I used the Stash back here, however the actual version of Hidden Village should have a different back to distinguish from Stash). Stash is a funny card where the unique back mechanic is super wacky and different, yet it's attached to a boring, expensive Silver which, aside from the occasional gimmicks, is usually weak and not much fun to play with. Hidden Village is my attempt to mitigate these issues and make a unique backed card that's more useful and interesting. By being an inexpensive village, these will always get picked up, and the card back mechanic is used more explicitly for player interaction. You still get many of the gimmicks (e.g. Mystic), though without the clunky shuffling thing Stash does (i.e. you shuffle these normally).

My biggest question here is cost. It's currently $3 to mirror Shanty Town, however I feel like this could be slightly easier on average to trigger than Shanty Town, so perhaps it should be $4 instead? I'd love feedback!

I like the idea, but isn't there a problem with shuffling? A player could always shuffle until a Hidden Village is on top, if they want one. This is especially critical when shuffling occurs during a turn, e.g. the left player has no such card in hand, let's get one, draw it, play it, +2 Cards, for example after playing Village, Smithy and an empty deck.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 09:24:57 am »

I like the idea, but isn't there a problem with shuffling? A player could always shuffle until a Hidden Village is on top, if they want one. This is especially critical when shuffling occurs during a turn, e.g. the left player has no such card in hand, let's get one, draw it, play it, +2 Cards, for example after playing Village, Smithy and an empty deck.
This could be remedied by shuffling with eyes closed (which may be difficult depending on your technique).

Another issue is that it's unclear how much you are supposed to know. Cards aren't perfectly stacked usually, so you will see that e.g. the 2nd card in your deck is a Hidden Village. This will inform other decisions you make. Is this okay or should you avoid it? I think the only practical ruling is that it's fine, and then by extension you may know the positions of everyone's Hidden Villages in their deck, which could lead to a lot of practical issues as you need to ask others to let you look through their deck all the time.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 10:27:07 am »
+3

Currently, only Young Witch adds an additional 11th Kingdom Supply pile (Looters add a Base Supply pile, that is different!). So, to cater to that idea, here's what I got:

Only a face up card can be gained or bought. These two piles can potentially be tweaked, since the idea is somewhat hard to gauge. As long as the core concept remains. :)
Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 10:45:32 am »

Currently, only Young Witch adds an additional 11th Kingdom Supply pile (Looters add a Base Supply pile, that is different!). So, to cater to that idea, here's what I got:

Only a face up card can be gained or bought. These two piles can potentially be tweaked, since the idea is somewhat hard to gauge. As long as the core concept remains. :)
It seems that Butler it supposed to be a Kingdom card? That would imply it has a randomizer, and can show up without Master, which is weird. And if that's not what's going on, then I would argue that Master is much closer to Looters (or even the likes of Hermit and Urchin) than it is to Young Witch.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:50:12 am by faust »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 11:05:27 am »
+5

My Submission:

Golden Fleece
$6 – Action – Treasure - Night

If it’s your…
Action phase, +$3;
Buy phase, +1 Buy and +$2;
Night phase, +2 Coffers.

Related to Crown (only official Action - Treasure card) and Werewolf (only official Action - Night card).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 11:54:43 am »
+7

Outlaw: Action-Night, $3
+2 Cards
If it's your Action phase, you may play an Action card from your Exile mat.
Otherwise, you may Exile an Action card from your hand.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:20:15 pm by LastFootnote »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 12:11:00 pm »
+2

I tried making a list of unique Dominion mechanics: Someone tell me if any of these are incorrect, as there doubtless are some goofups made on m,y part

seaside
Tactician - Only card to discard entire hand for next turn benefit? Ghost ship - Only card to force opponents to topdeck cards from their hand?
Treasure map - Only card that trashes itself and a copy of itself for a huge benefit?
Treasury - Only card That topdecks if you didnt buy X card top?
Island - Only card to basically exile itself and a card from your hand?
Embargo - Only card to use the embargo token, and make a certain pile give curses
Native Village - Only card to use the native village mat
Pearldiver - Only card to look at the bottom of your deck?
Smugglers - Only card to gain a copy of a card your opponent gained last turn?
Outpost - Only action card to give you an extra turn after this one (there are events : Does those count?

Unique Alchemy cards?
Philosophers stone - Only card that cares about deck and discard pile
Possesion - Thank god there is no card like it
Alchemis - Only card that, when you discard it from play, you may topdeck if you have X card in play.
Transmute - Only card that gives you a certain card based on the type of the card you trashed.
Golem - Only card to Reveal decks in your deck untill you find a certain card and lets you play it.
Scrying pool - Only card that lets you reveal action cards and then draw all the revealed action cards.
Herbalist - Only Card that when discarded from play, lets you topdeck a Treasure.

Prosperity Uniqe cards?
Counting house - Only card that Puts all X cards (Coppers) in discard into your hand
Contraband - Only card that removes the option to buy a Kingdom card.
Mint - Only card that when bought, trashes certain cards you have in play.
Bank - Only Treasure card that cares about number of treasures in play? (does Wishing lamp discount this?)
Vault - Only action that lets other players choose if they wanna discard 2 cards to draw a card
Venture - Only card to reveal cards in your deck until you find a treasure, then lets you play it
Loan - Only card that reveals cards in your deck untill you find a treasure, then lets you trash it or discard it.

Cornucopia unique cards?
Tournament - Only card to have a prize pile with it.
Harvest - only card to give you money based on unique cards revealed
Horn of plenty- only card to let you gain a card based on unique card in play.
Diadem- only card to give you +$ based on leftover actions (or villagers)

----

I could go on but i dont really want to read the entire dominion wiki

I think some cards in this list start getting into too specific of "this card is unique because...", but that will be up to the judge to confirm for sure, if people do choose to use some of those ideas. (As stated in the OP, all cards are unique in some way).
I'll address some of the ideas you brought up, from my perspective.

Tactician - yes, discarding whole hand for next turn benefit (but there are multiple cards that discard whole hand for a benefit).
Treasury - yes, it topdecks if you didn't buy a Victory card, but there is at least one other card (a village of some sort, can't remember which) that topdecks under a certain condition.
Native Village - obviously the only card to use the Native Village mat (the same could be said of Island, Trade Route, Pirate Ship, etc. for their respective mats).
Alchemist - same idea as Treasure and the village I mentioned above.
Golem - it lets you look for a certain card, sort of... but I think this is the same idea as Venture.
Loan - this is very specific, and would be sort of pointless to design another card with this same "concept" (set of concepts) but a minor difference (probably a different vanilla bonus).

he/him

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 01:53:25 pm »

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
———

Interesting!  Kind of a self-limiting card, then, since once you've got a couple of those it becomes harder to buy more, the reverse of Grand Market
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 01:59:22 pm »

It seems that Butler it supposed to be a Kingdom card? That would imply it has a randomizer, and can show up without Master, which is weird. And if that's not what's going on, then I would argue that Master is much closer to Looters (or even the likes of Hermit and Urchin) than it is to Young Witch.

I think that could be resolved by adding "Setup: Add the Master pile to the Supply" onto Butler as well, which would guarantee that you can never have one without the other.  Technically it wouldn't guarantee an 11th pile in that case, since it could be possible for both to come up in the initial 10-card setup, but that would only be a small minority of cases
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 02:22:34 pm »

Street Gang
Action - Attack - Reaction
$3
+2 Cards
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards one card.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may play it

This uses, by my count, three mechanisms that are unique in official cards: 1) Village Green's "when you discard this you may play it" mechanism, 2) Black Cat's ability to attack as a reaction, and 3) Soldier's discard, which is currently the only one to use the "players with 4 or more cards discard 1" rule

Unlike Black Cat, its attack also works as a regular on-play effect.  Initially I gave it Urchin's attack (which was the inspiration for the name), but then I realized that that could make the reaction too harsh, if you'd already played several draw cards before playing a discard attack - then your opponent reacting with this would force you to potentially discard quite a large number of cards.  It can still get fairly harsh in multiplayer, since potentially you could get hit by multiple Street Gangs, and could potentially sometimes lead to complex chains of reactions, especially in multiplayer

I'm not 100% sure of the price.  The basic soldier attack is pretty weak, but I think the fact that it can work as a reaction that hits back at the attacker justifies making it a little more than other terminal +2 cards
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 03:46:15 pm »

I think some cards in this list start getting into too specific of "this card is unique because...", but that will be up to the judge to confirm for sure, if people do choose to use some of those ideas. (As stated in the OP, all cards are unique in some way).
I'll address some of the ideas you brought up, from my perspective.

Tactician - yes, discarding whole hand for next turn benefit (but there are multiple cards that discard whole hand for a benefit).
Treasury - yes, it topdecks if you didn't buy a Victory card, but there is at least one other card (a village of some sort, can't remember which) that topdecks under a certain condition.
Native Village - obviously the only card to use the Native Village mat (the same could be said of Island, Trade Route, Pirate Ship, etc. for their respective mats).
Alchemist - same idea as Treasure and the village I mentioned above.
Golem - it lets you look for a certain card, sort of... but I think this is the same idea as Venture.
Loan - this is very specific, and would be sort of pointless to design another card with this same "concept" (set of concepts) but a minor difference (probably a different vanilla bonus).

I think i agree with the points you make here, so i made those cards crossed.

I guess a broader way to describe Both Treasury, walled village and achemist topdeck mechanic is "You may topdeck this is X condition apply". In this broader description, they are no longer 'Uniques'. Would you agree?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 03:53:22 pm »
+1

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
———

It should be fairly easy to grab at least 2 of them relatively early, probably too easy. Anyway, I would change "buy" to "gain".
No, don't make that change. It leads to a whole bunch of rules snarls that we've rehashed many times before.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 04:10:59 pm »

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
———

No, don't make that change. It leads to a whole bunch of rules snarls that we've rehashed many times before.

What kind of rules issues would come up with that?  It seems pretty straightforward to me
They/them

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +535
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 04:40:52 pm »

Refuge - $3
Action/Command

Play a face-up, non-Duration Action you have in Exile, leaving it there and turning it face down.
-
When you gain this, exile an Action from the supply.
This utilises the Necromancer mechanic of flipping cards face down. Note that, unlike with Necromancer, they are not flipped back at the end of the turn.

Are you aware this lets you buy one copy of any non-Duration action card for $3? Imagine a worse version of this card:

Refuge - $3
Action/Command

Play the set-aside face-up, non-Duration Action whose name is written on this in sharpie you have in Exile, leaving it there and turning it face down.
-
When you gain this, set aside an Action from the supply and write its name with a sharpie on this card.

From the sharpie addition, it makes it pretty clear that I can open Refuge/Refuge, and pretend I opened Kings Court/Mountebank. Every time I draw the first refuge I can play the Kings Court, leaving it in exile. Every time i draw the second refuge I play a mountebank, leaving it in exile.

That card is hard to balance. It doesn't work for Durations and it depends on the Kingdom. Having it cost $3 is totally broken for most Kingdoms. Having it cost $5 means you'd never buy it unless the Kingdom has a card costing more than $5. It's probably a $5 or a $4, but hard to balance.

But your card is even MORE powerful than this since each Refuge (if they don't collide) can both be the Kings Court. And you have the option of putting more copies of a card in Exile or the option to discard from Exile if that is better for some reason.

Way too strong for a $3.

Something like 8(not sure the number) debt would be an interesting way to cost it. You can also look into giving other players a benefit when played.

Edit: all the above is wrong, I had misread the card.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:56:23 pm by anordinaryman »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 04:48:27 pm »
+3

From the sharpie addition, it makes it pretty clear that I can open Refuge/Refuge, and pretend I opened Kings Court/Mountebank. Every time I draw the first refuge I can play the Kings Court, leaving it in exile. Every time i draw the second refuge I play a mountebank, leaving it in exile.

That card is hard to balance. It doesn't work for Durations and it depends on the Kingdom. Having it cost $3 is totally broken for most Kingdoms. Having it cost $5 means you'd never buy it unless the Kingdom has a card costing more than $5. It's probably a $5 or a $4, but hard to balance.

But your card is even MORE powerful than this since each Refuge (if they don't collide) can both be the Kings Court. And you have the option of putting more copies of a card in Exile or the option to discard from Exile if that is better for some reason.

Way too strong for a $3.

Something like 8(not sure the number) debt would be an interesting way to cost it. You can also look into giving other players a benefit when played.

Did you miss the fact that the cards that get turned face down DON'T get turned face up again at end of turn? The only way you're using those cards again is getting them off the Exile mat.

If anything I think Refuge looks very weak. Once you've played the exiled Action once, your Refuge becomes a dead card. The idea of buying a one-shot version of a strong card for $3 is interesting, but I think it shouldn't leave a worthless Action in your deck.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 05:36:13 pm »

Way too strong for a $3.

Did you miss the fact that the cards that get turned face down DON'T get turned face up again at end of turn? The only way you're using those cards again is getting them off the Exile mat.

If anything I think Refuge looks very weak. Once you've played the exiled Action once, your Refuge becomes a dead card. The idea of buying a one-shot version of a strong card for $3 is interesting, but I think it shouldn't leave a worthless Action in your deck.

Oh man I totally missed that!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:38:28 pm by anordinaryman »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 11:16:44 pm »

Outlaw: Action-Night, $4
+2 Cards

So you get the +2 Cards whether you play it during your Action phase or your Night phase?  That seems a bit strange since, unless you happened to draw another Night card, you wouldn't be able to play what you drew
They/them

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2021, 11:43:38 pm »
+1

based on treasure map

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2021, 12:03:01 am »
+1

based on treasure map

That's a net 8 VP from two $4 cards, and only if you can line them up.  Seems like it would rarely be worth buying those over Duchy
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 12:22:11 am »

+2 Cards

So you get the +2 Cards whether you play it during your Action phase or your Night phase?  That seems a bit strange since, unless you happened to draw another Night card, you wouldn't be able to play what you drew

Drawing in your Night phase does have the advantage of potentially getting an Action card into your hand to Exile.  That said, I think it could still be a bit awkward especially if it triggers a bad shuffle.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 02:10:52 am »
+1

Withdrawing this entry, I have another idea.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:45:22 am by xyz123 »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 02:11:10 am »

+2 Cards

Drawing in your Night phase does have the advantage of potentially getting an Action card into your hand to Exile.  That said, I think it could still be a bit awkward especially if it triggers a bad shuffle.

Yes, the idea is that in the Night phase, you may draw an Action to set aside. And I mean, any effect that draws can trigger a bad shuffle.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 03:40:46 am »
+5

Tunnel is the only Victory Reaction. The ability to Exile Victories as well as score points might be too much.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 06:34:33 am »

I originally thought Refuge might be fine at $2, but some cards are just so good to get early (e.g. Forge). I like the idea of Refuge staying in your deck not doing much, it's sort of reminiscent of Stonemason that way, getting you 2 copies of a card at the cost of a dead card.

I think I will buff Refuge a bit though. My current inclination is to make it "when you gain or trash"; that would also coincidentally de-uniquefy Flag Bearer.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 07:47:25 am »

+2 Cards

Yes, the idea is that in the Night phase, you may draw an Action to set aside. And I mean, any effect that draws can trigger a bad shuffle.

True,  and on the flip side sometimes you want to cycle through your deck so drawing in your Night phase might be desirable.  The card is actually very strong overall, so even if drawing in your Night phase ends up being a bit worse on average than not drawing, it's not like the card needs a buff.

Can this loop if you play a Command card in Exile?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 09:12:28 am »
+1

Royal Brooch
$5
Action - Treasure
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +3 Actions. If it's your Buy phase, + and +1 Buy.

Crown was feeling lonely in Action-Treasure land. And, after LastFootnote’s contest, I had a lot of vanilla bonuses sitting around waiting for use. I also believe that Pawn is the only current card that can give all four vanilla bonuses when played twice, but not when played once.

Update: changed the spelling of the name per LastFootnote's comment.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:42:05 pm by JW »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:12 am »

EDIT: revised entry downthread

Shipyard • $3 • Action
For each token on the Trade Route mat, choose a different option: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; +1 Villager; or +1 Coffers.
-
Setup: Add a Coin token to each Victory Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

The de-uniquifying factor is the (re)use of the Trade Route mat.
When used with Trade Route, you put two coins on each victory pile (that is, you follow both of their instructions).
As always, you do as much as you can - if there are more than six tokens on the trade route mat, it's just a super-market, you don't get to double dip.
If there are no tokens on the trade route mat, this card doesn't do anything. Gotta set it up.

I kind of wanted to make the price scale based on the TR mat, but that set up clause is brutal, and the card didn't need to be any longer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:21:28 am by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 10:32:21 am »
+1

Butler has no Randomizer card. It's like Urchin, which means that you have to put a Mercenary pile close by, out of the Supply. Except, here, the Butler pile is in the Supply, meaning cards from it can be gained or bought, so long as the top card of that pile is face up. So yeah, 11th Kingdom card. :)
Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 10:33:44 am »

Butler has no Randomizer card. It's like Urchin, which means that you have to put a Mercenary pile close by, out of the Supply. Except, here, the Butler pile is in the Supply, meaning cards from it can be gained or bought, so long as the top card of that pile is face up. So yeah, 11th Kingdom card. :)
So it's like the Ruins pile?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 10:42:42 am »
+2

I think I will buff Refuge a bit though. My current inclination is to make it "when you gain or trash"; that would also coincidentally de-uniquefy Flag Bearer.

Well not to be a downer, but there are already other cards with "When you gain or trash this", like Silk Merchant, Rocks, and Crumbling Castle.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:30 am »

True,  and on the flip side sometimes you want to cycle through your deck so drawing in your Night phase might be desirable.  The card is actually very strong overall, so even if drawing in your Night phase ends up being a bit worse on average than not drawing, it's not like the card needs a buff.

I think you might be missing the fact that the card you play from Exile goes into play. It doesn't stay on your Exile mat. If anything I'm guessing Outlaw will be weak, but I'm hoping to test it tonight and will make revisions if it needs them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 10:48:06 am »
+1

Royal Broach
$5
Action - Treasure
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +3 Actions. If it's your Buy phase, and +1 Buy.

Crown was feeling lonely in Action-Treasure land. And, after LastFootnote’s contest, I had a lot of vanilla bonuses sitting around waiting for use. I believe that Pawn is the only current card that can give all four vanilla bonuses when played twice, but not when played once.

Although "broach" can be used in this manner, usually it's spelled "brooch" (though it's still usually pronounced "broach" in that case).

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:34 am »
+1

In a way, yes. Or cost cards, adding Potion as a Base Supply pile. But that's the subtly. Ruins and Potions are Base Supply piles, whereas Butler would be a Kingdom Supply pile, just like the Bane pile from Young Witch. The difference is pretty thin, but it's there I suppose, at least for the purpose of this contest.
Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:54 am »

Well not to be a downer, but there are already other cards with "When you gain or trash this", like Silk Merchant, Rocks, and Crumbling Castle.
Ah you're right of course. Well, it's still unique for the Necromancer bit.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2021, 11:07:47 am »

In a way, yes. Or cost cards, adding Potion as a Base Supply pile. But that's the subtly. Ruins and Potions are Base Supply piles, whereas Butler would be a Kingdom Supply pile, just like the Bane pile from Young Witch. The subtly is pretty thin, but it's there I suppose, at least for the purpose of this contest.
So what is the difference between a Base supply pile and a Kingdom supply pile?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 11:17:43 am »
+1

So what is the difference between a Base supply pile and a Kingdom supply pile?

There's barely any difference at this point, especially for moving Base Supply piles such as Ruins/Potions/Colony/Platinum. Young Witch specifically reference a Kingdom pile instead of simply saying a Supply pile though.

I suppose that if we do not consider Young Witch as unique, then neither will be my submission.
Bottom text

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2021, 11:29:56 am »

not my submissions

two card ideas: Not sure what to go with right now. Would appreciate feedback/thoughts.

Aristocrat

Unique's: Costs 8 like prince, draws 5 cards like RBS, Can be gained via a victory card gain like duchess
A massive drawer, but while RBS discards coppers and punishes a poorly thinned deck, this one topdecks any revealed Victory cards and topdecks them. One one hand, this is bad and you would like this to not happen. on another, you might want to go for its "gain a province" effect that happens as a "consultation prize" if you happen to kill your next turn with 5 revealed victory cards or more.

Flippant City

Uniques: only card to care about even or Odd number of cards in play (like Idol)
This happened to become quite similar to Dilemma, an earlier WDC card I made. THis one is instead based on timing then on if you have a surplus of actions: Drawing one Flippant city is pointless in itself, but if you manage to get several of them, you can get a massive turn.

Coffee House

'Uniques: UUUUUHHH... Its the only card that makes you draw fewer cards next turn like outpost? Please tell me if this is Illegall for this weeks WDC
Oh hey, a city for 3$! nice! Wait... you draw one less card next turn? that sucks! I guess its like coffee... Energy now, but a crash later!

On most boards you would at most want two or 3 of these: Attack heavy boards like militia or discard cards like it this would be appealing. Obvious synergies with draw to X, Guide, Outpost, And mission.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:35:15 am by fika monster »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2021, 11:59:14 am »

I think you might be missing the fact that the card you play from Exile goes into play. It doesn't stay on your Exile mat. If anything I'm guessing Outlaw will be weak, but I'm hoping to test it tonight and will make revisions if it needs them.

You're right - I was totally missing that! 

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2021, 12:37:53 pm »

Carnival
Event -

+1 Coffers

I withdrew my previous entry and I am submitting this instead.
The unique mechanic I am using is from Pageant which allows you to convert unspent money into coffers, but I am doing it as an event instead of a project. You can convert any number of coins but you always get back 1 fewer coffers.

- Edit -
Following feedback that the first version was to strong I have removed the + buy and the overpay facility so potentially you could convert all your money except 1 coin to coffers. Now it is spend 2 coins to get 1 coffer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:19:43 pm by xyz123 »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2021, 01:57:10 pm »

Carnival
Event -

+1 Buy
+1 Coffers

When you buy this you may overpay for it. For each you overpaid +1 Coffers

The unique mechanic I am using is from Pageant which allows you to convert unspent money into coffers, but I am doing it as an event instead of a project. You can convert any number of coins but you always get back 1 fewer coffers.
This is far too good. You can simply save all but one of your Coins when you don't hit $8 in the endgame, no need to go for Duchies at all.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »
+4

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-
You can't buy this if you have Coffers.

Uses Grand Market's you can't buy if you have...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 02:17:03 pm by Jupaoqq »

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2021, 02:28:03 pm »

Carnival
Event -

+1 Buy
+1 Coffers

This is far too good. You can simply save all but one of your Coins when you don't hit $8 in the endgame, no need to go for Duchies at all.

That also applies if you have bought Pageant. Or does having to buy Pageant justify that ability?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2021, 02:59:51 pm »
+2

Carnival
Event -

+1 Buy
+1 Coffers

That also applies if you have bought Pageant. Or does having to buy Pageant justify that ability?
HuH? Pageants saves ONE Coin. Your card saves ALL BUT ONE Coin. That is beyond crazy. If you hit anything below $8 in the endgame, you will never ever buy Duchy but simply save for a Province (or two) next turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2021, 03:24:02 pm »
+2

Carnival
Event -

+1 Buy
+1 Coffers

HuH? Pageants saves ONE Coin. Your card saves ALL BUT ONE Coin. That is beyond crazy. If you hit anything below $8 in the endgame, you will never ever buy Duchy but simply save for a Province (or two) next turn.

Yeah. I believe Pageant originally let you convert all your leftover coins into Coffers. I showed that was crazy pretty quickly. After maybe buying a Silver or two, you just save all your money and only buy Provinces. No need to build a deck at all. It's very fast.

Possibly your version that makes you pay $1 for the privilege of saving the rest is less crazy, but I'm not optimistic.

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2021, 03:40:13 pm »

Ok. Fair points. Completely mis-remembered Pageant. Thanks for the feedback.

I still think basic idea of an event that converts unspent coin to coffers is a valid one, but obviously the exchange rate needs to be moved towards making coffers more expensive I will have another think.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2021, 03:42:36 pm »

Ok. Fair points. Completely mis-remembered Pageant. Thanks for the feedback.

I still think basic idea of an event that converts unspent coin to coffers is a valid one, but obviously the exchange rate needs to be moved towards making coffers more expensive I will have another think.

What about something like: "When you buy a card this turn costing $4 or more, you may overpay for it..."

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2021, 03:46:40 pm »
+1

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

Do I understand it correctly that you can use Coffers for buying Gourmet?

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2021, 04:34:23 pm »
+2

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

Easy fix: Have it be "you cant buy this if you started your Buy phase with coffers". This way, the spirit of the limitation remains, but you cant just spend them before buying this.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2021, 04:52:40 pm »

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

You can not use coffers to buy gourmet, it costs $7.
You may not buy this if you currently have any coffers, including coffers from other gourmets you played during your buy phase.
At the start of your buy phase, you may convert all your coffers to $ to buy this (and other things).

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2021, 05:00:28 pm »
+1

At the start of your buy phase, you may convert all your coffers to $ to buy this (and other things).

So that would be yes, not a no...
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2021, 05:04:29 pm »

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

You may not buy this if you currently have any coffers, including coffers from other gourmets you played during your buy phase.

No, this is not correct. Coffers can be removed any time "During you Buy phase, before you buy anything," including after you have played Treasures. Thus, a player could play Gourmet, cash out their Coffers (and any acquired previously) and buy another Gourmet (provided they had at least $4 more, either from those Coffers or from other sources).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2021, 05:11:12 pm »

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

No, this is not correct. Coffers can be removed any time "During you Buy phase, before you buy anything," including after you have played Treasures. Thus, a player could play Gourmet, cash out their Coffers (and any acquired previously) and buy another Gourmet (provided they had at least $4 more, either from those Coffers or from other sources).

Thanks, that part is incorrect, but you still can't spend say 3 coffers and $4 on this, you can however convert 3 coffers before your buy phase start, now you have $7 and can buy this.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2021, 05:15:08 pm »

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

Thanks, that part is incorrect, but you still can't spend say 3 coffers and $4 on this, you can however convert 3 coffers before your buy phase start, now you have $7 and can buy this.

You can't convert Coffers before your Buy phase starts.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2021, 05:19:05 pm »

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

You can't convert Coffers before your Buy phase starts.

At the start of your buy phase, I meant

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2021, 05:22:23 pm »
+3

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

If you think that "converting 3 Coffers to $ so you have $7" means something different from "spending 3 Coffers and $4", you're being way overly pedantic even for f.ds standards. That's like correcting someone who says "spending a Villager to play an Action" by saying "um, actually, what you mean is you're spending a Villager to get +1 Action, and then spending that Action to play an Action card." Sure, you're technically correct, but you know what we meant.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:26:35 pm by Gubump »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2021, 06:03:45 pm »
+2

Basically, the Buy restriction is toothless and the card is too strong.

I don't understand how this is the case. Having to cash in all your Coffers in order to buy another Gourmet seems like a penalty to me. You may have wanted to save some of those.

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2021, 06:30:44 pm »

Carnival
Event -

+1 Buy
+1 Coffers

Yeah. I believe Pageant originally let you convert all your leftover coins into Coffers. I showed that was crazy pretty quickly. After maybe buying a Silver or two, you just save all your money and only buy Provinces. No need to build a deck at all. It's very fast.

Possibly your version that makes you pay $1 for the privilege of saving the rest is less crazy, but I'm not optimistic.

I have edited my original post to remove the overpay option and the + buy. It is now spend 2 coins for 1 coffer. Obviously the option is still potentially there to buy it multiple times, but that will need multiple buys. Even if there are some scenarios where that can be very fast I don't see that as a problem any more as you will need to build a deck to reliably give the +buys to support it.

Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2021, 07:37:51 pm »
+1

Gourmet - Treasure - $7*
+3 Coffers
+1 buy
-

At the start of your buy phase, I meant

I think you are still misunderstanding the rule. It is not that you can cash in Coffers at the start of your buy phase. It is that during your Buy phase, you can play Treasure cards and cash in Coffers until the first time you Buy a card anything during the phase. This is true even if you did not have those Treasure cards/Coffers when the Buy phase began.

So, if you play all of your Treasures, then use Scepter (played last) to replay a Torturer, and the cards you draw include other Treasures, you can play those as well (if you drew another Scepter, you could play Torturer a third time, and if you drew more Treasures, play those as well). Similarly, if (starting your Buy phase with no Coffers) you play two Silvers and a Ducat, you could then cash in the Coffers you got from Ducat and buy something costing $5 (or one thing costing $2 and another thing costing $3).

Therefore, (starting your Buy phase with no Coffers) you could play two Silvers and a Gourmet, cash in the 3 Coffers you just gained, and (now that you do not have any Coffers on your mat), buy a Gourmet.

If you think that "converting 3 Coffers to $ so you have $7" means something different from "spending 3 Coffers and $4", you're being way overly pedantic even for f.ds standards. That's like correcting someone who says "spending a Villager to play an Action" by saying "um, actually, what you mean is you're spending a Villager to get +1 Action, and then spending that Action to play an Action card." Sure, you're technically correct, but you know what we meant.

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is a matter of being pedantic, I think it's a continued misunderstanding of the rules (although Jupaoqq can correct me if I am wrong).

I don't understand how this is the case. Having to cash in all your Coffers in order to buy another Gourmet seems like a penalty to me. You may have wanted to save some of those.

I would say that the Buy restriction is substantially less significant than the one on Grand Market. Most notably, while in most cases the first Grand Market is the hardest to buy because of the restrictions, here, the first Gourmet you buy will, in most cases, be completely unaffected by the Buy restriction. I could see where, in Colonies games or (even more so), a Kingdom with Dominate, you might want to both be piling up Coffers and buying more of these for a blockbuster purchase (and there could be other circumstances where you are trying to set up a megaturn and want keep buying these and building up Coffers for the same reason).

Outside those circumstances, the context in which forcing you to empty your Coffers would be most burdensome would be where some of the $ you gain goes to waste. That risk is substantially mitigated by the fact that this card has a +Buy (although not entirely, since you might be trying to buy another Gourmet on a different turn from when you played the last one, and also if your Treasure + Coffers hits $9, there may not be any $2 cards you want). It is similarly mitigated by the fact that this costs $1 less than a Province, so if you overshoot by one you can buy a Province instead (with, of course, the risk of greening too early).

On the other hand, I think Gourmet would not be nearly as overpowered at $7 without a restriction as Grand Market would be at $6, so the on-Buy penalty should be at least somewhat less onerous (but maybe not this light).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:40:25 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2021, 09:48:07 pm »

Yeah, having to cash in all your Coffers may sometimes be a fairly harsh penalty, depending on the kingdom - especially if you have cards like Baker that let you accumulate a good number of Coffers, and no other +buy
They/them

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2021, 10:44:33 pm »
+2

Smithing Camp - 4 Debt
Action - Night
+2 Actions
You may discard your hand to gain a card to your hand costing up to $1 per card discarded. If you gain a Victory card, trash this.

Unique elements: 4 Debt cost and Action/Night card type. I am not too sure about this design, but have been having trouble getting inspiration. I am not sure if the wording on the gain effect is appropriate with the use of the term "in coins"? Additionally, I had the goal of making an Action/Night card that did not reference those phases but still be meaningfully different when played in either phase. I hope that was achieved, but I am not sure. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit 1: Slight buff, the discard is not mandatory and the gain is better. Changed the wording a bit. Still is awkward to read. Not sure if there is a better way to word it.

Edit 2: Quick update to wording at the suggestion of emtalax. This looks much better. Artificer is the reference I needed. Thanks to Timinou as well.

Old Version

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:48:25 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2021, 01:09:30 am »
+1

I am not sure if the wording on the gain effect is appropriate with the use of the term "in coins"?

Official cards use the phrasing "in ."

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2021, 04:14:24 am »
+1

two card ideas: Not sure what to go with right now. Would appreciate feedback/thoughts.

Aristocrat

Unique's: Costs 8 like prince, draws 5 cards like RBS, Can be gained via a victory card gain like duchess
A massive drawer, but while RBS discards coppers and punishes a poorly thinned deck, this one topdecks any revealed Victory cards and topdecks them. One one hand, this is bad and you would like this to not happen. on another, you might want to go for its "gain a province" effect that happens as a "consultation prize" if you happen to kill your next turn with 5 revealed victory cards or more.

Flippant City

Uniques: only card to care about even or Odd number of cards in play (like Idol)
This happened to become quite similar to Dilemma, an earlier WDC card I made. THis one is instead based on timing then on if you have a surplus of actions: Drawing one Flippant city is pointless in itself, but if you manage to get several of them, you can get a massive turn.

Coffee House

'Uniques: UUUUUHHH... Its the only card that makes you draw fewer cards next turn like outpost? Please tell me if this is Illegall for this weeks WDC
Oh hey, a city for 3$! nice! Wait... you draw one less card next turn? that sucks! I guess its like coffee... Energy now, but a crash later!

On most boards you would at most want two or 3 of these: Attack heavy boards like militia or discard cards like it this would be appealing. Obvious synergies with draw to X, Guide, Outpost, And mission.

Instead of giving feedback, I have two questions:

1) Don't you think it is a bit of an overkill to present 3 different cards in a single contest?

It gets a bit frustrating to comment on your cards since you often change them faster than one can think about them. Please don't misunderstand me here. The least thing I want is to discourage you from designing and presenting your cards, but less is sometimes more.

2) With question 1 in mind, I would like to ask you: Which of these is your favourite card and why?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2021, 09:20:54 am »
+1

Shipyard • $3 • Action
For each token on the Trade Route mat, choose a different option: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; +1 Villager; or +1 Coffers.
-
Setup: Add a Coin token to each Victory Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

The de-uniquifying factor is the (re)use of the Trade Route mat.
When used with Trade Route, you put two coins on each victory pile (that is, you follow both of their instructions).
As always, you do as much as you can - if there are more than six tokens on the trade route mat, it's just a super-market, you don't get to double dip.
If there are no tokens on the trade route mat, this card doesn't do anything. Gotta set it up.

I kind of wanted to make the price scale based on the TR mat, but that set up clause is brutal, and the card didn't need to be any longer.

Revising my entry:

Shipyards • $4 • Action
For each token on the Trade Route mat, +1 Card.
If there are 3 or fewer tokens on the Trade Route mat, +1 Action.
-
Setup: Add a Coin token to each Treasure Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

note the changed set up that uses Treasure supply piles rather than Victory supply piles. Will still interact beneficially with original trade route but with fewer questions about whether to move one or two tokens.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2021, 10:17:24 am »
+1

Smithing Camp - 4 Debt
Action - Night
+2 Actions
Discard your hand. Gain to your hand a card costing less in coins than the number of cards discarded. If you gain a Victory card, trash this.

Unique elements: 4 Debt cost and Action/Night card type. I am not too sure about this design, but have been having trouble getting inspiration. I am not sure if the wording on the gain effect is appropriate with the use of the term "in coins"? Additionally, I had the goal of making an Action/Night card that did not reference those phases but still be meaningfully different when played in either phase. I hope that was achieved, but I am not sure. Feedback is appreciated.

I like the concept, but Smithing Camp seems weak overall.  You can play cards like Scholar when you have few or no other cards in hand to pretty good effect, but with Smithing Camp you won't want to play it in such situations, otherwise you could end up junking your deck.  Moreover, you won't usually want to play it when you have good cards in hand as that will kill your turn for not much payoff.  The exception could be Kingdoms with draw-to-X cards (e.g. play Smithing Camp to gain a Watchtower), but even then I don't think it is an exceptionally strong combo.  Even in the Night phase, this isn't going to be a particularly good gainer - you need to have five cards left in hand for it to be able to gain a $4-cost card. 

I think it needs to be buffed (e.g. make discarding your hand optional, so that you can play this as a Necropolis in your Action phase and not gain any cards, and/or let it gain a card costing up to a cost in coins equal to, rather than less than, the number of cards you discarded).

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2021, 10:57:47 am »
+1

(hopefully I did this right and the image shows up)

Teleport $5
Action

+1 Action. Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Then you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

(Uses the "passing cards" mechanic of Masquerade)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:45:50 am by spineflu »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2021, 11:16:17 am »

(hopefully I did this right and the image shows up)

Teleport $5
Action

+1 Action. Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Then you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

(Uses the "passing cards" mechanic of Masquerade)

Welcome to the Forums!

You have to use the image address. To see how it works, have a look at my reply (clicking "quote"). Also note that I reduced the size of your image.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »
+1

Smithing Camp - 4 Debt
Action - Night
+2 Actions
Discard your hand. Gain to your hand a card costing less in coins than the number of cards discarded. If you gain a Victory card, trash this.

I am not sure if the wording on the gain effect is appropriate with the use of the term "in coins"?

I would suggest: "Gain a card to your hand costing less than $1 per card discarded." (See Artificer).
he/him/his

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2021, 03:26:22 pm »

I am not sure whether the decisions of the opponents will be interesting. Early on I guess, opponents discard Estates or Coppers instead of their precious Action cards. Late in a game they discard Duchies and Provinces. In between depends largely on the trashing abilities provided by the Kingdom. Without trashing, I would try to green early to have something to discard. With good trashing, I would likely precede as usual and discard junk.

What would this make more interesting is when the opponents can draw a card after they discard one. This would encourage them to discard a mediocre card by having the prospective to draw a better one. Victory card with a high VP value would be still an issue I guess, but that could be addressed as well (e.g. they gain a Curse akin to Jester). The - discard then draw a card - mechanic could also mean that a restriction of 5 or more cards in hand is not necessary. One has to evaluate whether it would be too harsh when a second Raven is played or with other hand-size attacks like Militia on board.

I am not exactly sure what makes this card unique with Jester, i.e. Swindler works in a similar way.

Sorry for the late reply. I did not think about Swindler, but I'd say it is different in that Swindler typically downgrades your opponents cards. Turning a strong 5$ Action into a Duchy can be game winning. Of course, I leave it to scolapasta to judge whether Raven satisfies the conditions for this contest.

I'd say choosing whether to discard Copper or Estate is already not a trivial one (although surely not the deepest one). Also, the turns where you have a valuable VP card in hand are usually only the very last ones. And when you think about buying green earlier, just to discard it to Raven, I'd say that this is an interesting decision as well. Of course, you have the time in between, in which you actually have to decide whether to discard a Peddler (as an example) or get junked.

At least, that are my thoughts. Thanks for your comments, I always appreciate a different perspective on my cards :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:28:33 pm by Rhodos »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2021, 03:44:46 pm »
+3

Cobalt is a Treasure that uses Patron's unique reaction based on when it is revealed.  In Kingdoms without other cards that cause you to reveal other cards, it could still be useful as a Silver that gives you +1 Buy.

The reaction with Cobalt will probably be useful less often than with Patron, especially when revealing your hand; however, I think there will still be some neat interactions with this.  There will be good synergies with cards like Patrol, Envoy, Border Guard, etc.  Cobalt is also immune to certain attacks, e.g. Scrying Pool and Pirate Ship.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:01:13 am by Timinou »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2021, 04:21:17 pm »
+3

Outlaw: Action-Night, $3
+2 Cards

I ended up testing this (in a game with X-tra) at $3 instead of $4. It worked well at that cost, so I'm updating my entry with that cost change.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2021, 10:54:37 pm »
+3

Contest entry

Scientist | Action | $3
+2 Cards
+1 Action
If this is the first Scientist you played this turn, the player to your left names a card. You can’t buy that card this turn.
You may trash this.

My favorite player interaction is Contraband. Unfortunately, Contraband is very weak. So, I wanted to use that mechanic in a way that solves some of the major problems. Playing multiple Contrabands doesn't work at all, but Scientists really flourish when they get to all work together. Unfortunately, if you have a lot, you're guaranteed to play one each round and you won't ever be able to buy a Province. They can self-trash, but be careful, your opponent still got to name a card that round, and if you trashed them ... can you still draw your cards?  If you play it once and trash it's strictly worse than Ride, but in the early game you can work around the cards your opponent names and get multiple plays before trashing.

Scientists go well with a trash for benefit since you want to get rid of them eventually anyway. They also go well with a +buy. Hopefully you can salvage parts of the Scientists's laboratory.

scolapasta, I absolutely LOVE this contest. It was really interesting to think about previous mechanics that were underutilized and try to come up with other usages of them. I also played around with a on-buy remodeler like Farmland, and a Noble Brigandy on buy play / on buy attack.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:02:08 pm by anordinaryman »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2021, 03:18:52 pm »
+2

My submission:

Edit 3: Wording change to match other cards like "way of the squirell"

Edit 2:

uses Outposts unique "draw less next turn" effect.

Edit 2 context: After discussion on discord, I decided to buff it and and make it a 4$: You should still mostly want one or two, but now this card should be a serious caffeine boost into action hungry engines, in exchange for 1 less card next turn.

Apologies for spamming/ half submitting several cards: My idea was that people would vote out their favorite.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:54:53 pm by fika monster »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2021, 02:50:55 am »
+1

My submission:

Edit 2:

uses Outposts unique "draw less next turn" effect.

Edit 2 context: After discussion on discord, I decided to buff it and and make it a 4$: You should still mostly want one or two, but now this card should be a serious caffeine boost into action hungry engines, in exchange for 1 less card next turn.

Apologies for spamming/ half submitting several cards: My idea was that people would vote out their favorite.

Interesting decision and interesting change. It seems that this is also (more?) related to Snowy Village, i.e. +4 Actions with a drawback.

Edit: According to faust (see below), the following doesn't seem to work in the intended way: I would change the wording to "Draw 1 card less at the end of this turn". See The River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:44:09 am by gambit05 »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2021, 03:20:46 am »
+2

Interesting decision and interesting change. It seems that this is also (more?) related to Snowy Village, i.e. +4 Actions with a drawback.

I would change the wording to "Draw 1 card less at the end of this turn". See The River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel.
That doesn't really work. The new hand of 5 cards isn't drawn "at the end of this turn", it's drawn during the cleanup phase, so if Coffee House said "at the end of this turn", it wouldn't affect the draw for the next hand.

River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel both resolve after you've already drawn the 5 cards for your next hand.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2021, 03:41:33 am »

I would change the wording to "Draw 1 card less at the end of this turn". See The River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel.
That doesn't really work. The new hand of 5 cards isn't drawn "at the end of this turn", it's drawn during the cleanup phase, so if Coffee House said "at the end of this turn", it wouldn't affect the draw for the next hand.

River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel both resolve after you've already drawn the 5 cards for your next hand.

I thought the last phase of a turn is "at the end of the turn", which is identical with "end of Clean-up" and that "during Clean-up" is not the best way to determine the exact time. Well, I stand corrected.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2021, 05:52:27 pm »
+2

This is my submition for the contest:

Like save, it's a 1-cost event
Like miser, it's a card that use the Copper onto your tavern mat
(yes, I've put two condition on this)

(If someone have a potential illustration or an other name for the card, I take it. Don't hesitate to submit something if you have an idea)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:47:06 am by Shael »
Post here your favorite fan-cardsThe ArchiveWitchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion € Not so Soon €                                          

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2021, 11:36:50 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Quote from: Valley Retreat
VALLEY RETREAT
LANDMARK
Before the first turn, players bid VP, not more than 40VP, continuing until no player wants to bid lower. Lowest bidder takes 7 Debt and the VP they bid.

I'm not sure why, but this challenge was especially tough. Fortunately, I had previously created Valley Retreat, which fits the criteria, as it involves bidding. Valley Retreat was meant to be a variant (or reverse) of Mountain Pass. Instead of bidding Debt to collect a fixed number of VP tokens, players bid VP to collect a fixed amount of Debt.

I had previously created this Landmark while contemplating the question "what is your opening worth?" and thinking about how to put that question directly into the game. The answer was this Landmark. Players must decide how much VP they need to forego those two opening buys. As a point of clarification--when the bidding happens, the players not only know what is in the Kingdom and the turn order, but also what their opening hand will be. All of that information contributes to the decision of how much to bid, and may make the opening less valuable to some players than others. This (maybe) can have the effect of making the randomness of your opening position have less of an impact on the game, as the player who has it worst can trade their lousy opening away for VP.

I wanted to set the maximum bid very high so it would never be higher than a reasonable bid, but I did not want the maximum to be unlimited so that players spent an hour slowly bidding down from 1000VP. I wanted to allow players multiple bids because I did not want to advantage any players (unlike Mountain Pass, which rewards the player who buys the first Province with the final bid, no player at the start of the game has earned such a benefit). That said, I would definitely encourage house rules to streamline the bidding process.
he/him/his

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2021, 11:54:08 pm »

Messenger is the only card still in print that lets you put your deck into your discard pile. Would that qualify as unique? Or do out of print cards (Chancellor, in this case) disqualify uniqueness? I'd assume that doesn't qualify, but I just want to make sure.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 11:55:35 pm by Gubump »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2021, 12:21:40 am »
+3

Messenger is the only card still in print that lets you put your deck into your discard pile. Would that qualify as unique? Or do out of print cards (Chancellor, in this case) disqualify uniqueness? I'd assume that doesn't qualify, but I just want to make sure.

Scavenger does this and is still in print.

(So does Trusty Steed, although it's not a Kingdom card [it's in the Prize pile] and doesn't give the plain option of doing it or not as Messenger, Chancellor, and Scavenger do; it does it as part of one of the choices. Bad Omens also puts your deck into your discard pile, but it's not optional).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:30:59 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2021, 12:51:10 am »

Man, I forgot about that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:00:43 am by Gubump »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2021, 12:58:47 am »

Even the out-of-print cards are still official, though, so I'd assume they'd still count for uniques
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2021, 01:01:45 am »
+1

Even the out-of-print cards are still official, though, so I'd assume they'd still count for uniques

Yeah, like I said, I'd also assume that's the case, but I wanted to clarify. But since emtzalex pointed out there were other in-print cards that still shared that effect, that point is now moot.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2021, 01:08:04 am »
+2

Bad Omens is the only official card that requires you to put your deck into your discard pile. Hopefully that's different enough from optionally doing it to count as unique.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:09:54 am by Gubump »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2021, 03:31:56 am »
+2

This is my submition for the contest:

Like save, it's a 1-cost event
Like miser, it's a card that use the Copper onto your tavern mat
(yes, I've put two condition on this)

I'm sorry about the absence of art, I know it's something common here but if someone have a potential illustration or an other name for the card in order to fix it, I take it. (so please don't hesitate to submit something if you have an idea)
I've past the last two day of my creation time to try to find some solution and at this point I won't take the risk to miss the contest..

How about naming this Event Indulgence? You could then use this art:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/A_Peasant_Girl_buying_an_Indulgence.jpg

I think giving +1 Buy isn't worth it since the player had to spent $1 four times before, which means that this Event is mostly used with a spare buy and thus additional buys don't seem to be particularly attractive here. Maybe 2 Villagers?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2021, 07:27:07 am »
+1

Bad Omens is the only official card that requires you to put your deck into your discard pile. Hopefully that's different enough from optionally doing it to count as unique.

Donate also does this

Shael

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2021, 11:00:29 am »

This is my submition for the contest: [...]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/A_Peasant_Girl_buying_an_Indulgence.jpg

I think giving +1 Buy isn't worth it since the player had to spent $1 four times before, which means that this Event is mostly used with a spare buy and thus additional buys don't seem to be particularly attractive here. Maybe 2 Villagers?
Thank you verry much for your help!
I usualy don't like this type of art but it's far much better that nothing and it fit well with the size of the event.
For the effect, i think the fairest version: with just +2 villager for $1, you usulaly need a +buy  card on the kingdom and, in this case, the card is too much +Buy dependant in my opinion. turning your reamaning coin into villagers seem a much interesting rewerd in that case and still leave you with your original buy.
Post here your favorite fan-cardsThe ArchiveWitchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion € Not so Soon €                                          

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2021, 11:29:42 am »
+2

Donate also does this

Technically it does not:

Quote from: Donate
After this turn, put all cards from your deck and discard pile into your hand, trash any number, shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw 5 cards.

Cards come out of your discard pile (and deck) into your hand; out of your hand into the trash; and from your hand into your deck. Donate never puts any cards into your discard pile.

Practically speaking, Donate does trigger a shuffle, so a card you gained that turn does not wait in your discard pile for one to occur. But if you're using Donate to generate a shuffle, you're doing it wrong (and badly overpaying).
he/him/his

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2021, 12:42:22 pm »
+6

Prize pile from Tournament AND auction mechanic from Mountain Pass.

FAQ: This happens after the first time each player gains a Province, whether it was bought or gained another way. The player who gained the Province names an available Prize of their choice. Then the player to the left of that player bids first, then the player to their left and so on, ending with the player who gained the Province. Each bid can be a pass or a higher bid than the previous bid. Bids are in amounts of Debt. The player who bid the highest (if any) gains the Prize onto their deck and the Debt they bid. You may wish to use Project cubes to track who has already triggered this.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:28:43 pm by spheremonk »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2021, 01:54:44 pm »

This is my submition for the contest: [...]

Thank you verry much for your help!
I usualy don't like this type of art but it's far much better that nothing and it fit well with the size of the event.
For the effect, i think the fairest version: with just +2 villager for $1, you usulaly need a +buy  card on the kingdom and, in this case, the card is too much +Buy dependant in my opinion. turning your reamaning coin into villagers seem a much interesting rewerd in that case and still leave you with your original buy.

If there is no card with +Buy available in the Kingdom, you have to use 3 turns to just buy Indulgence to activate it and you cannot buy anything else. Who would do that?

Maybe put the +1 Buy at the beginning and restrict it to "Once per turn" to avoid any misuse. Some spelling (last line): on your Tavern mat.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »
+3

Here's my submission:

(Sinister plot is unique in that it's the only cards where you put coin tokens on.) Takes a little time but you can get a couple free cards to hand with it. Also gives you some flexibility at the start of your turn.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:57:35 pm by naitchman »

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2021, 02:39:01 pm »
+4

Land of the People
⑨* Victory
Worth 1 VP per 2 Coppers
you have (round down).
-
During a player's Buy
phase, this costs ① less per
differently named Action
card they have in play.

It's Fountain, but in card form. The main unique thing it does is decrease cost from Action to Buy phase, like Peddler. There also aren't a lot of things that care about how many Coppers you have specifically (what, is it like, Keep, Fountain, Palace, uhhh Coppersmith kinda?), but that's not really the direction I was going necessarily. Oh, and sure, it costs ⑨. Woo!
I've been considering whether it should be 2 VP per 3 Coppers, or 1 VP per 2 Coppers, but I think I'm going towards 2/3 for now. Even though it's ⑨, it's going to be cheaper than Province... okay actually I like it better as a more chunky Victory card. It's going to 1/2. (Talked myself out of it).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:41:36 pm by MochaMoko »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2021, 03:19:41 pm »
+1

Here's my submission:

(Sinister plot is unique in that it's the only cards where you put coin tokens on.) Takes a little time but you can get a couple free cards to hand with it. Also gives you some flexibility at the start of your turn.

Are you supposed to be able to remove tokens other players put on it? If not, it should say "remove any number of your tokens here..." (See Sinister Plot's wording)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:21:15 pm by Gubump »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2021, 05:32:10 pm »
+1

I'm just going to use the Pass mechanic from Masquerade, which I've always wanted to figure out how to use again.  It's not an easy one to keep balanced and fair, without doing almost the same thing as Masquerade!  So here is my attempt:

Quote from: Soiree
+2 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, each other player with 4 or more cards reveals a card from their hand. For each, you choose: they pass it to you; or they gain a copy to their hand.

I think the most likely cards to reveal are Coppers, especially early in the game, because then someone (either the attacked or attacker) will get a few extra coins, at the cost of a bit of junking.  You could reveal and Estate, but you're basically sure you're going to get another one junking your deck.  Later in the game, this can be particularly harmful if you have optimized your deck though, so with this on the board, you will have to make sure to keep something around that you don't mind "Pass"ing off.
he/him

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2021, 05:51:14 pm »
+1

Here's my submission:

This is the same piece of art I used for Sinister Plot during Renaissance testing.

This lets you gain a Copper to your hand for free. That might be fine, but just pointing it out.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2021, 06:57:15 pm »
+1

Here's my submission:

Are you supposed to be able to remove tokens other players put on it? If not, it should say "remove any number of your tokens here..." (See Sinister Plot's wording)

good point. I'll update it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2021, 07:38:32 pm »
+1

Land of the People
Victory ⑨*
Worth 1 VP per 2 Coppers
you have (round down).
-
During a player's Buy phase,
this costs ① less per
differently named Action
they have in play.

It's Fountain, but in card form. The main unique thing it does is decrease cost from Action to Buy phase, like Peddler. There also aren't a lot of things that care about how many Coppers you have specifically (what, is it like, Keep, Fountain, Palace, uhhh Coppersmith kinda?), but that's not really the direction I was going necessarily. Oh, and sure, it costs ⑨. Woo!
I've been considering whether it should be 2 VP per 3 Coppers, or 1 VP per 2 Coppers, but I think I'm going towards 2/3 for now. Even though it's ⑨, it's going to be cheaper than Province... okay actually I like it better as a more chunky Victory card. It's going to 1/2. (Talked myself out of it).

The text on the bottom should be "During your Buy phase, this costs $1 less per differently named Action you have in play."

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2021, 08:16:55 pm »

The text on the bottom should be "During your Buy phase, this costs $1 less per differently named Action you have in play."

Thanks for replying! Now I have an excuse to make a post where I can put any replies to any other cards that I have something to say about.
I've been going off of DomBot's !text, which now uses "During a player's Buy phase..." -- this has been updated from the "During your Buy phase" wording that DomBot's Peddler text had ~last year. I trust you because you're, well, LastFootnote, but just wanted to make sure you're aware of that. I was under the impression that the wording had changed to be more clear or something like that.

Quote from: Soiree
+2 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, each other player with 4 or more cards reveals a card from their hand. For each, you choose: they pass it to you; or they gain a copy to their hand.

This looks slightly miserable. Soiree thins one card out of your deck for you, and it junks one card to your opponent (most likely). That's a strong effect, especially when it comes with +2 Cards (see Masquerade's power level). But if 2 players are playing one Soiree a turn, their decks will get no thinner, as they are junking and thinning at the same rate. If this is the only thinning, someone who gets a deck that plays more Soirees faster (whether by luck or by more efficient building) seems like they will just slowly get thinner than their opponent and accumulate a huge snowballing advantage.

Let's say we've got clean though, maybe there was an awesome thinner elsewhere. Since the attack happens with 4 or more cards, someone who wants to be immune (I say immune, but you'd be getting free junk to feed your own Soiree, basically) to the attack later must have 2 junk cards in hand (at some point when we are cleaner, I want to take your junk from you, trash it, and attempt to steal a good card from your hand). I suggest making the attack only trigger at 5 or more cards, similar to how Masquerade usually can only pass one good card from an opponent to your hand. I probably wouldn't like playing with this card much even after that, but the card should be a bit less infuriating then. (Also 3-4 player games will be miserable, but that's how it is with most junking ain't it)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:45:26 pm by MochaMoko »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2021, 10:37:18 pm »

Thanks for replying! Now I have an excuse to make a post where I can put any replies to any other cards that I have something to say about.
I've been going off of DomBot's !text, which now uses "During a player's Buy phase..." -- this has been updated from the "During your Buy phase" wording that DomBot's Peddler text had ~last year. I trust you because you're, well, LastFootnote, but just wanted to make sure you're aware of that. I was under the impression that the wording had changed to be more clear or something like that.

Hrrrrrm, iiiiiinteresting. Either I wasn't aware of that or I don't recall it. Fisherman uses "your turn" and "your discard pile", not "a player's turn" and "their discard pile". But it's possible this Peddler wording is more recent? Regardless I personally prefer the "your Buy phase", but I guess both are in use right now. Thanks for the heads-up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:38:13 pm by LastFootnote »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2021, 10:35:40 am »
+1

FAQ: This happens after the first time each player gains a Province, whether it was bought or gained another way. The player who gained the Province names an available Prize of their choice. Then the player to the left of that player bids first, then the player to their left and so on, ending with the player who gained the Province. Each bid can be a pass or a higher bid than the previous bid. Bids are in amounts of Debt. The player who bid the highest (if any) gains the Prize onto their deck and the Debt they bid. You may wish to use Project cubes to track who has already triggered this.

Slight nitpick - I think the card text should say "...gains the Prize onto their deck..." (if that's the intent).

And this may also be a silly nitpick, but the way the card is currently worded, it's not super clear that you can't name and gain a Prize that was already previously gained through Auction.  I know it's clear from the FAQ that you can't, but you could just add "(from the Prize pile)" for clarity, similar to Tournament unless space is an issue.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2021, 11:07:49 am »
+3

Slight nitpick - I think the card text should say "...gains the Prize onto their deck..." (if that's the intent).

And this may also be a silly nitpick, but the way the card is currently worded, it's not super clear that you can't name and gain a Prize that was already previously gained through Auction.  I know it's clear from the FAQ that you can't, but you could just add "(from the Prize pile)" for clarity, similar to Tournament unless space is an issue.

It could perhaps be "name an unclaimed Prize".

In general, errata is (or will soon be) removing things that are between turns and putting them at the end of turn.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2021, 01:44:39 pm »

My Submission:

VALLEY RETREAT
LANDMARK
Before the first turn, players bid VP, not more than 40VP, continuing until no player wants to bid lower. Lowest bidder takes 7 Debt and the VP they bid.

I'm not sure why, but this challenge was especially tough. Fortunately, I had previously created Valley Retreat, which fits the criteria, as it involves bidding. Valley Retreat was meant to be a variant (or reverse) of Mountain Pass. Instead of bidding Debt to collect a fixed number of VP tokens, players bid VP to collect a fixed amount of Debt.

I had previously created this Landmark while contemplating the question "what is your opening worth?" and thinking about how to put that question directly into the game. The answer was this Landmark. Players must decide how much VP they need to forego those two opening buys. As a point of clarification--when the bidding happens, the players not only know what is in the Kingdom and the turn order, but also what their opening hand will be. All of that information contributes to the decision of how much to bid, and may make the opening less valuable to some players than others. This (maybe) can have the effect of making the randomness of your opening position have less of an impact on the game, as the player who has it worst can trade their lousy opening away for VP.

I wanted to set the maximum bid very high so it would never be higher than a reasonable bid, but I did not want the maximum to be unlimited so that players spent an hour slowly bidding down from 1000VP. I wanted to allow players multiple bids because I did not want to advantage any players (unlike Mountain Pass, which rewards the player who buys the first Province with the final bid, no player at the start of the game has earned such a benefit). That said, I would definitely encourage house rules to streamline the bidding process.

That's an interesting concept. But
I'd suggest to reword the card to say "...players may bid VP...": It's possible in principle (though extremely rare) that the optimal bid would be above 40, e.g. in a kingdom with a strong pin or golden deck strategy. Or in one of those puzzle solutions "win the game in 1 turn"...  ;)

Shael

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2021, 02:59:09 pm »
+1

Refuge - $3
Action/Command

-
When you gain or trash this, exile an Action from the supply.

Version history:

Version 0.1 did not have the on-trash ability.
Refuge really seem like superintendant from Witchcraft (especialy the v0.1):

I also think it's a good  idea a command from exile even if Refuge seem a litle bit weak.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:57 pm »

It could perhaps be "name an unclaimed Prize".

In general, errata is (or will soon be) removing things that are between turns and putting them at the end of turn.

Thank you both for your thoughts. Almost every aspect of my wording was forced by an attempt to avoid the dreaded four-line landscape text. So I tried to cheat it and push the available/unclaimed concept to the FAQ. As I recall, at one point during my revisions, the two letter change from “onto their deck” to “to their deck” kept it on three lines. It seems I neglected to go back and test it again once I was finished – now it fits and I have changed it in the OP.  Thanks!

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2021, 01:04:49 am »
+1

My Submission:

VALLEY RETREAT
LANDMARK

I'd suggest to reword the card to say "...players may bid VP...": It's possible in principle (though extremely rare) that the optimal bid would be above 40, e.g. in a kingdom with a strong pin or golden deck strategy. Or in one of those puzzle solutions "win the game in 1 turn"...  ;)

I appreciate the feedback. I agree that it is important for a player to be able to pass (in fact, it's essential, since, unlike Mountain Pass, this contemplates players making more than one bid). When I designed the card, I borrowed the language from Mountain Pass, and it didn't even occur to me that a player couldn't pass her turn (because you can with the official card). I went back and looked at looked at the Mountain Pass card page, and in the FAQ it says "Each bid can be a pass, or a higher bid than the previous bid."
he/him/his

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2021, 04:34:24 am »

My Submission:

VALLEY RETREAT
LANDMARK

I appreciate the feedback. I agree that it is important for a player to be able to pass (in fact, it's essential, since, unlike Mountain Pass, this contemplates players making more than one bid). When I designed the card, I borrowed the language from Mountain Pass, and it didn't even occur to me that a player couldn't pass her turn (because you can with the official card). I went back and looked at looked at the Mountain Pass card page, and in the FAQ it says "Each bid can be a pass, or a higher bid than the previous bid."
is the winning bid on this ever not 3?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2021, 04:48:38 am »

Refuge really seem like superintendant from Witchcraft (especialy the v0.1):

I also think it's a good  idea a command from exile even if Refuge seem a litle bit weak.
Ha! I haven't seen this before. The mechanics used are pretty similar, but the two cards would play completely differently. Superintendent is a slow setup card, whereas Refuge is is more like a card that gives you what you want at a discount, but with drawbacks.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2021, 04:53:25 am »
+2

Why would the winning bid be 3? That seems like a bad consolation pirze for not being able to do anything on the first shuffle.

I think there are certainly boards on which it is optimal for no player to bid on Valley Retreat at all. The bigger issue with this is that it will just feel terrible to win this. Even if it's worth the VP that you get, you will play the whole game feeling like you're behind and being able to do less than the other players. I'm not convinced that it's a fun gameplay experience.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2021, 11:13:32 am »
+1

Why would the winning bid be 3? That seems like a bad consolation pirze for not being able to do anything on the first shuffle.

I think there are certainly boards on which it is optimal for no player to bid on Valley Retreat at all. The bigger issue with this is that it will just feel terrible to win this. Even if it's worth the VP that you get, you will play the whole game feeling like you're behind and being able to do less than the other players. I'm not convinced that it's a fun gameplay experience.

My concern would be that it doesn't make sense not to open the bidding at 40VP, so you could end up going through many bidding rounds and the end result could be very underwhelming.  I'm not sure it's worth making the game longer.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2021, 03:27:18 pm »
+2

Hi all, I was away for the long weekend (and our university gave us an extra day), so here's the:

24 Hour Submission Deadline

I'll start working on a list of all the submissions so people can check if I missed any late changes.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2021, 06:47:56 pm »
+1

I think a bid of 3VP would always win the auction, but would not be a good value proposition.

I think there are certainly boards on which it is optimal for no player to bid on Valley Retreat at all.
I think that's possible, although I'm not entirely convinced. Holger suggested it might not be worth bidding in "a kingdom with a strong pin or golden deck strategy. Or in one of those puzzle solutions "win the game in 1 turn"...  ;)"

In theory, if you're going to get completely pinned, then it might not be worth 40VP, although I'm not sure how that would work.

With a strong golden deck strategy the best case scenario (as far as I can tell, absent something extremely elaborate) is that you can buy a Colony each turn after Exiling the one your previously bought (Platinum - Gold - Gold - Sanctuary - Colony), probably set up with Donate and maybe Treasure Map. In that case, the player who wins the bidding could still go after that golden deck, they would just be two turns behind. In a 2 player game that would result in a 3/5 Colony split, which would only be a 20 VP advantage. Even if you split 6/2, a 40VP bid would tie the game.

If someone is going to end the game on turn 1, then this might be the only way to for the other players to get any VP[?!?].

The bigger issue with this is that it will just feel terrible to win this. Even if it's worth the VP that you get, you will play the whole game feeling like you're behind and being able to do less than the other players. I'm not convinced that it's a fun gameplay experience.

I guess it could feel this way in a Kingdom with really a great engine, that you would miss out on, but otherwise I think it would feel like you are starting out ahead, and the other player(s) are trying to catch up. To look at it another way, you are doing less, but you have less you have to do to win.

One of the things I kind of like about this is it makes it so the players aren't playing exactly the same game. Those who don't win the auction have to figure out a way to make up for the deficit, while the player who did win needs to figure out how to keep the head start while playing with a weaker deck. There is a gameplay element that can sometimes be missing from Dominion.

My concern would be that it doesn't make sense not to open the bidding at 40VP, so you could end up going through many bidding rounds and the end result could be very underwhelming.  I'm not sure it's worth making the game longer.

I do think 40VP is usually (if not always) the opening bid, which may be quickly followed by 39, 38, etc., but at some point the players will have to decide how low they are are actually willing to go, which they would have to spend some time thinking about, which they would do at the same time (and as part of) thinking about what strategy they want to use given the Kingdom. I think that would add a little time at the beginning, but I don't think there would necessarily be long, drawn out bidding sessions (but I could be wrong).

Thinking about this, it occurred to me that you could actually test this card out on Shuffle iT, bidding in the chat box, having the winner forego buying anything to pay down the (imaginary) debt, then adding the (not game recognized) VP won to the official score at the end of the game.
he/him/his

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2021, 01:51:56 am »

I think there are certainly boards on which it is optimal for no player to bid on Valley Retreat at all.
I think that's possible, although I'm not entirely convinced. Holger suggested it might not be worth bidding in "a kingdom with a strong pin or golden deck strategy. Or in one of those puzzle solutions "win the game in 1 turn"...  ;)"
I was mostly thinking of megaturn engines like KC-Bridge or Horn of plenty with support. If you're clearing out the Provinces in one turn, then it doesn't matter that the other player has a 40 VP lead. I agree that Golden Decks aren't a threat.

The bigger issue with this is that it will just feel terrible to win this. Even if it's worth the VP that you get, you will play the whole game feeling like you're behind and being able to do less than the other players. I'm not convinced that it's a fun gameplay experience.

I guess it could feel this way in a Kingdom with really a great engine, that you would miss out on, but otherwise I think it would feel like you are starting out ahead, and the other player(s) are trying to catch up. To look at it another way, you are doing less, but you have less you have to do to win.
I mean, yes, but most Kingdoms have engines, and building engines is the most fun you have in Dominion.

One of the things I kind of like about this is it makes it so the players aren't playing exactly the same game. Those who don't win the auction have to figure out a way to make up for the deficit, while the player who did win needs to figure out how to keep the head start while playing with a weaker deck. There is a gameplay element that can sometimes be missing from Dominion.
I understand the appeal in that, but still it seems that one player is playing a game that is less fun. But maybe it's not as crippling as I imagine.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2021, 03:21:31 am »

I was mostly thinking of megaturn engines like KC-Bridge or Horn of plenty with support. If you're clearing out the Provinces in one turn, then it doesn't matter that the other player has a 40 VP lead. I agree that Golden Decks aren't a threat.
I was thinking of a Golden deck like Fortress-Bishop which gives you 12 VP per turn if you get 5 Fortresses and 4 Bishops. With 2 turns ahead, it's almost certain that you can gain e.g. a sixth Fortress, which prevents the Retreated player from building the same deck (in the absence of other villages, they only get 10 VP with 4 Fortress and 4 Bishops). So the non-Retreated player nets 2 more VP than the Retreated player every round, and can thus overcome any starting point deficit.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2021, 03:29:53 am »

I understand the appeal in that, but still it seems that one player is playing a game that is less fun. But maybe it's not as crippling as I imagine.
I suppose you could "invert" the card to make it more appealing psychologically to win the bid:

VALLEY RETREAT
LANDMARK
Before the first turn, players bid VP, continuing until no player wants to bid higher. Unless several players bid above 40, the highest bidder gets two extra turns immediately, and at the end of game loses the VP they bid.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2021, 09:16:39 am »
+1

yeah, if you want to make this shorter, just do one round of blind bidding - everyone scribbles their bid on a piece of paper and reveals them at the same time; lowest bid(s) get the points+debt

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2021, 04:07:54 pm »
+2

Submissions Closed

Judgement hopefully will be up by some time over the weekend.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2021, 12:14:58 am »
+4

Ok, here are the (29!) entries I found for this week. Please make sure that I:
a) didn't miss your entry.
b) got the latest version of your entry.

For those who haven't seen any of my past judging posts (both in the fan mechanics contests), what I like to do is come back to this post and edit it with a a sentence (or two or three) with my thoughts on each entry*, and then separately add another post with general contest comments and the winners.

* in this case, I'll comment some on the uniqueness of the chosen mechanic, as well as what I think of the design

WDC #116: Make me *less* special!

Street Vendor - NoMoreFun
Uniqueness: Buying cards during your Action phase

You can use thus to buy an action that you would immediately play or, for example, get a free silver (the +$1 and the two you spend is then replaced by the silver you gain and play). Less useful in late game when you're greening.

Supermarket
cost $5 - Action - Night - Duration
If it's your Action phase, +$3 and +1 Buy.
Otherwise, at the start of your next turn, +$2 and +1 Buy.
Supermarket - majiponi
Uniqueness: Night-Action

In some ways this doesn't actually make Werewolf less unique, since it's also a Duration card. If you've got enough actions you can play these this turnl otherwise save them for next turn at a reduced benefit. Simple, but feels like it might be a little weak for a $5. (you're paying a premium for the flexibility)

Hidden Village - 4est
Uniqueness: different back

Seems ok, though often as +2 Actions weak. I think the shuffling / knowing where they are in other players' decks challenges pointed out by others are more problematic for fun IRL gameplay.

Market Town
(Action, $5*)
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
———
Market Town - mandioca 15
Uniqueness: Buy restriction

I'm never quite sure what to think cards like this, since for example in a game with Lab, you would always buy this first (i.e. 1 copy of this is strictly better). Even getting the 2nd copy might not too hard (pointed out by gambit05), and then you have two pretty powerful cards that maybe you don't even need more...

Raven - Rhodos
Uniqueness: like Jester(?)

I have the question mark there, because you choose whether they gain a card or not, but in Jester case, you get the card if you choose not. So feels more like a similar mechanic to me than the same. Regardless, seems like an interesting enough attack that, like cursers, could be weaker in the late game (when opponents can discard Provinces).

Workroom - The Alchemist
Uniqueness: cards about even / odd #s in play

While journey token can be similar, it's different enough since you can use other cards to flip journey (and how journey plays with TR, for example). I like cards that are Labs half the time, something else the rest; I think this could be an interesting mashup when played.

Refuge - faust
Uniqueness: flipping cards face down

Nice find of something unique and a clever way to use it. I'd be worried in games with no trashing or exiling  if it's worth it to have this dead card, but I also usually prefer cards that work in many games but in some are clear to avoid.

Master / Butler - X-tra
Uniqueness: extra supply pile

I might say that doesn't quite fit as unique since for me, part of the mechanic is that the bane pile is different each game (whereas in this case you're always adding the same pile). I might be a little worried that you'd flip the top butler card but not be able to buy it and then the next player scoops it up (though having a butler is not really worht it, compared to smithy, if you don't have any masters).

Golden Fleece - gambit05
Uniqueness: Action-Treasure (or Action-Night)

Similar to Supermarket, you could argue that the third type keeps those others as unique. Also some similarities in how the options can be +$3 vs +$2, though with treasure is still this turn. I think it'd be worth trying a simpler version that can only be played during 2 phases, which could maybe get it down to $5.

Outlaw - LastFootnote
Uniqueness: Action-Night

This one is just Action-Night now. Exile a card on turn, only to play a super charged version of it later (for example an Outlawed Village becomes +3 cards, +2 Actions effectively. I first misread this and didn't realize the card left exile, which would have been crazy! This way, of course, works much better. Does it really need to be a Night card, though? (i.e. could you just make it a choose one?) one concern with night is you have to choose to save a card, only to then draw and maybe get something better to exile (but then you would've rather played the card you held).

Street Gang - mxdata
Uniqueness: when you discard this you may play it; attack as a reaction

I left off the Soldier, since that's just a specific flavor of discard attack). Interesting card, it can come back to hurt you; you discard this (say with Oasis), then force your opponents to discard, and they discard one of these. Since you're also drwaing 2 cards, I might worry about creating confusing chain reactions, especially in multiplayer games. But that could also be pretty fun on occasion.

Proposal - pubby
Uniqueness: trash this and another

I'll be honest, treasure map has never been one of my favorites; the lining up is either not worth going for, or it's a no brainer due to other cards. In this case, doing that to gain 4 Victory cards? I don't think I'd ever buy this card.

Viceroy - Aquila
Uniquness: Victory-Reaction

Technically unique, though there is a Shelter-Reaction which has similar vibes. Feels to me some similarities to Island as you want to use this to get rid of cards you want, but not in your deck. This however can be reused, and is takes some work to get up to even 1 VP. If you go this route, you're likely buying more than one of these in order to power up the exile, but then these become the weight themselves. Interesting...

Royal Brooch
$5
Action - Treasure
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +3 Actions. If it's your Buy phase, +$2 and +1 Buy.
Royal Brooch - JW
Uniqueness: Action-Treasure

The thing I'd say about Crown is that it allows you to do something you couldn't easily define for your action phase (assuming you're trying to avoid playing of treasures in your action phase), whereas something like this could by adding +1 Action to the choice. Still different, as you can't draw Royal Brooch dead, but I'm not sure if it's enough. That said, I'm also not sure I'd want to pay $5 to have these two options, unless maybe there's no other + Buy. (i'd compare this to Spice Merchant)

Carnival
Event

+1 Coffers
Carnival - xyz123
Uniqueness: convert $ to coffers (?)

I guess I'm not convinced this feels like it fits the uniqeuess, in that cards you buy that give coffers also (eventually) convert $ to coffers. Either way, I'm just not sure this has enough utility. What's nice about pageant is that you convert 1 to 1 for some upfront cost. Here you have to do it each time, and it uses a buy. Even if you have 2 buys, you're probably better off just buying a card that cost $2 more than your other buy.

Gourmet - Jupaoqq
Uniqueness: Restricted Buy

The "if you have Coffers" is a little weird since, as others have pointed out, you can just spend them that turn. And since this gives an extra buy, if you're not using them to just for the $7, you can usually get yourself a $2 or a $3. And once you have a couple of these, again, you are in good shape. (the difference between both this and Market town above and Grand Market is that  Grand Market makes it harder to buy the first GM; these don't restrict that one at all)

Smithing Village - Xen3k
Uniqueness: Action Night (and 4 debt cost)

Unlike Werewolf, and the other entries, this one doesn't have an "otherwise" but just rely's on its effect being different enough based on the timing. Cool! I'm not sure though about a few things - +2 actions, but you discard your hand (or don't but then it's just Necropolis). Sure you gain a card to your hand, but unless that's a Smithy, +1 Action could be enough. (though I guess it's meant to be a Village). And getting the Actions at Night is pointless, no? (which is fine, just feels a little inelegant)

Shipyards - spineflu
Uniqueness: Trade Route mat

Reusing the Treasure Route mat feels a little weird to me. In games without Trade Route, it's just a Shipyards mat, and it games with Trade Route? Seems like both cards become extra buffed. That said, if it were a separate mat, it could still qualify (uses a mat that collects tokens when a certain type is gained), and by itself is interest enough - goes from cantrip -> lab -> super lab. -> Hunting Grounds and beyond. I wonder though about the cost as once it gets a 2nd token (from a Silver and some other treasure), it is a cheap lab.

Teleport - AJL828
Uniqueness: Passing

Compared to Masquerade (obviously) seems maybe too weak? A lot of times you'll be passed coppers, so won't gain anything. Even with estates, just a $4. Though in the late game it may gain you good things. I'm just not sure if that benefit (and the +1 Action) is worth losing the +2 cards that help with what you pass and paying $5.

Cobalt - Timinou
Uniqueness: "reveal"

I like the idea of reusing Patron's reaction. I am concerned, as Timinou themselves pointed out, how much revealing is from your hand. Just not sure if this benefit (and the +1 buy) is enough to justify a $5 silver.

Scientist - anordinaryman
Uniqueness: "Contraband" effect

Interesting way to apply this effect to an Action card. Unlike contraband can only affect you once, but still pretty painful for a cheap Lab. Since the can trash themselves, eventually, once you've used them to get better cards, you can get rid of them. I think that could make an itneresting game play balance.

Coffee House - fika monster
Uniqueness: Draw less next turn

-1 card next turn might be too similar to the -1 card token? though the difference there is that that can only bite you once per turn. This card sacrifices from your next turn in order to run your engine now with +4 Actions and +2 cards. In some ways the opposite of Tactician, which I feel gets you better benefits (but also costs $1 more).

indulgence - Shael
Uniqueness: uses Coppers on your Tavern mat; $1 event

Without +Buys this never gets bought. I like the suggestion of moving the +1 buy up and maybe making this once per turn. Once you've built it up it's effectively trading $1 for a Villager, which seems OK, I guess. But could it just do that from the start (maybe as a once per turn)?

Valley Retreat - emtzalex
Uniqueness: bidding

I agree with whoever said, I don't think I'd enjoy games with this. Sure you get a head start in points, but you're playing from behind in every other way the whole game. In a game with attacks, this is likely ignored.

Courser - Gubump
Uniqueness: forced putting your deck on your discard

I don't think this feels unique enough from optional putting your deck on your discard. So it gets docked some points on the uniqueness factor. And this is the only card that does this on gain. (I guess Bad Omens could do that if you receive it with a Cursed Village). That said, this card is fine and feels simple enough that it could be an "official" card. A little boring, though.

Auction - Spheremonk
Uniqueness: Prize pile and bidding

This has a similarity to Tournament in that the first person to gain a Province has an advantage in gaining the first Prize (due to bidding last). Personally, Mountain Pass's bidding stresses me far too much, and while I think this card is decent, I think it'd give me the same anxiety.

Interest - naitchman
Uniqueness: Putting tokens on a card (project)

Costs $1 more than Sinister plot (I'd wonder about costing this at $4) and you can add a token AND gain a card the same turn. I think this one could be interesting, as you may sometimes even choose to gain early (before getting to the number you want) in order to salvage a turn, e.g. gain a Village on a turn where you have two terminals?

Land of the People - MochaMoko
Uniqueness: decrease cost from Action to Buy phase

Interesting victory card. With no trashing this is worth at least a duchy (and you could gain a copper late somehow to make it 4VP), so in that case, it depends on how cheap you can get it down by playing more actions. Even in a game with trashing, if you can build a large enough engine to get these down to $0, might it be worth getting some when greening and finding a way to get back some coppers to make the worth 1VP or 2VP or more?

Soiree - mathdude
Uniqueness: passing

Another passing card (I figured there might be some!), though in ways different as a) there could be no passing; and b) every one who does passes to you rather that around the loop. I wonder if this one (in a multiplayer game) might have two many decisions: each other player has to choose what to show you; you then have to choose whether they pass or gain a copy (to be fair, this decision will usually be easy). Since opponents gain copies to their hand, their deck doesn't thin, so they can be attacked multiple times by this. (think KC-Soiree) Also, in late games, you could hit players with strong hands and acquire several good cards.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:58:53 pm by scolapasta »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2021, 09:40:10 am »
+1

Submissions Closed

Judgement hopefully will be up by some time over the weekend.

Which weekend?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2021, 10:59:49 pm »
+5

Thanks for your patience, everyone! I've just updated the post above with some comments for each entry.

I hope you all had fun trying to find interesting, unique mechanics to "de-uniquefy". It was definitely great to judge and I think there are some great designs in here. Additionally, it's clear that some of these mechanics could be entire weekly contests unto themselves (design a Night-Action card; design a card that restricts when you can buy it, etc).

I didn't disqualify any entries, but I did comment on some on cases where I thought that the chosen uniqueness wasn't as "general" a mechanic as I had been seeking. And because people chose so many different mechanics out there, it was definitely a judging challenge to compare different cards (this is not the first time I've done this in selecting a contest!)

So without further ado...

The runner ups:

gambit05's Golden Fleece
Aquila's Viceroy
anordinaryman's Scientist
MochaMoko's Land of the People

And the winner:

naitchman's Interest

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2021, 08:15:32 am »

Thanks. I'll try to make a post later today.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 20 queries.