Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!  (Read 7576 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 11:21:40 pm »

Keeping it simple:

Fair Tide - $6
Dawn - Subdeck
+2 Cards

Laboratory (Sea's gift) that bottom-decks from gain/play; effectively top-decking with the shuffle. However, as a Dawn card, it can't be conventionally drawn into and played (so being made to discard one from hand is really bad), nor throned/imped.

Edit: Updated to cost $6: the card's on par with hireling, and opening these would snowball super effectively.

How can you justify $6? Isn't this strictly worse than Lab?

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 11:25:16 pm »
+3

Here is my submission for now:

Pretty self explanatory.

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2021, 11:41:12 am »

Keeping it simple:

Fair Tide - $6
Dawn - Subdeck
+2 Cards

How do you figure? I mean, if it cost $5, you could lab turns 3&4 at least. That's a high roll for lab
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:50:28 am by Mahowrath »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 12:27:04 pm »

Keeping it simple:

Fair Tide - $6
Dawn - Subdeck
+2 Cards

How do you figure? I mean, if it cost $5, you could lab turns 3&4 at least. That's a high roll for lab

Ok. It looks like I misunderstood aquatic type. The fact that it comes faster is nice, but I still don't think it's better than lab. As you point out, it's dead on draw, and can't be throned.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2021, 01:01:58 pm »
+1

Keeping it simple:

Fair Tide - $6
Dawn - Subdeck
+2 Cards

And in the meantime, for the rest of the game, you have to draw it in your starting hand or else it's a Moat.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2021, 01:19:25 pm »

Yeah, perhaps $5 is still appropriate, as dudding with these is pretty dangerous.
There's little excuse for drawing this dead, as you know exactly where it's going to be until you draw it dead.
Most games this will be stronger than Hireling, but Hireling isn't the strongest $6 in 2 player, and like Golem shines in larger games, so perhaps that's acceptable.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:23:57 pm by Mahowrath »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2021, 02:28:48 pm »

This is not my submission

Update: I realized today that in total, this traveller line would be 9 different cards that would have to interact: 3+3+1=7 travellers, and 2 conditions. Thats way too much to handle, albeit i like the idea.

A duo traveller line im sketching on: Right now its a total mess, but here the first version is. also, maybe using The little mermaid pictures for your dominion cards isn't the best idea.

Conditions and Aquatic is used for this

In kingdoms using these, both are supply pile cards, meaning that you have 11 Kingdom piles instead of 10.

The conditions

The aquatic Traveller
my rule is that aquatic cards that are exchanged, are exchanged to the bottom of your deck

The Condition Traveller

And the final traveller in the line can only be exchanged into if you have both the third condition traveller and Aquatic traveller in play

Anyway, I will inevetabvle edit this Duo line, and when I do, I will create a new post that I link to from this one.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:52:49 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2021, 04:11:07 pm »

A duo traveller line im sketching on: Right now its a total mess, but here the first version is. also, maybe using The little mermaid pictures for your dominion cards isn't the best idea.

Anyway, I will inevetabvle edit this Duo line, and when I do, I will create a new post that I link to from this one.

some things I will need to improve:

Simplify some of the cards (too much text on them)

Change the End traveller or nerf it

And a random though:

Dominion can be said to have 6 types of cards:
Villages (actions), Drawers, Money (virtual money, +buy, treasures), Thinners (Trashers, Exilers, quisi thinners like Archive), Workshops, and Alt VP

My opinion is that a traveller line can do a lot on its own, but its very risky if it does too many of these different things: A problem with my traveller line is that I have 3+3+1=7 different cards. This means making them simple and distinct will be hecko difficult.

Idk.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2021, 08:07:13 pm »
+1

some things I will need to improve:

Simplify some of the cards (too much text on them)

Change the End traveller or nerf it

There's a lot going on here. First of all, regarding the Condition, it is a bit unusual in that it will only ever be Raging Tides for a short time, since at the start of the following turn it returns to Calm Waves. This makes flipping it into a kind of attack, albeit a pretty inefficient one, since the player who flips it foregoes the extra card at the end of turn to make the next player go down a card (but with some sifting, putting that player in an arguably better position than the one who made the attack). Given that only one of the three travellers can flip it from Calm Waves (where it will usually be), that makes it being on Raging Tides even more unlikely.

Also, it should just say "flip Calm Waves / Raging Tides" when instructing it to flip (other than on the Condition itself, which can just say "this").

Dominion can be said to have 6 types of cards:
Villages (actions), Drawers, Money (virtual money, +buy, treasures), Thinners (Trashers, Exilers, quisi thinners like Archive), Workshops, and Alt VP

At a minimum, you are missing Attacks from this list (Attack having multiple subtypes, including hand-size attacks, deck-order attacks, trashing attacks, and junkers [and among those, cursers]). I would also add Sifters (although you could classify those as Drawers), and Remodelers (which neither thin your deck nor gain a card outright).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 01:18:17 am »

Yeah, perhaps $5 is still appropriate, as dudding with these is pretty dangerous.
There's little excuse for drawing this dead, as you know exactly where it's going to be until you draw it dead.
Most games this will be stronger than Hireling, but Hireling isn't the strongest $6 in 2 player, and like Golem shines in larger games, so perhaps that's acceptable.

How would it ever be stronger than Hireling?  It's a weaker Lab.  And you'll still only be playing it, at most, once per shuffle.  Yes, you can avoid drawing it dead, but only at the cost of just not drawing at all on the turn where you would otherwise draw it
They/them

bootymancer

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 12:40:45 am »
+4

I liked the flexibility that both the '-1 X' and 'Trade token' mechanics offered so here is my submission:

+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Trade
+$1
You may pay a Trade token. If you do, choose one: -1 Action, +$1; -1 Buy, +1 Action; -$1, +1 Card.

Barter offers the luxury of choice: play it as a pseudo-Candlestick Maker and bank a Trade token or cash one in for some situational value (Woodcutter / Necropolis+ / Vanilla Market Square)?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 02:33:18 pm »
+3

22 Hour deadline.

I'll soon start to compile all the entries.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 10:00:51 pm »
+4

Here is my submission that combines Ice Tokens and Conditions.

This is actually a variation on Gazbag's Cold Storage card.  While it is Winter, Ice Sculptor lets you gain $5-cost cards but you have to wait for them to unfreeze before you can add them to your deck.  Once Spring arrives, Ice Sculptor becomes a cantrip that can accelerate the thawing process with Ice Sculptor, but Ice Sculptor can no longer gain cards.  I'm not sure if the last part on the card is clear, but the intention is that you can remove a total of 2 tokens from any number of cards (e.g. 2 tokens from one Frozen card, or 1 token each from 2 Frozen cards).

In most Kingdoms, once Winter is flipped over to Spring, it will stay that way.  However, in exceptional circumstances (e.g. with Experiment, Way of the Butterfly, or Ambassador) it will be possible to return to Winter.

Gazbag priced Cold Storage at $4, but I think $3 is fine for Ice Sculptor (places three Ice tokens instead of two on the gained card).  In any case, a drawback of any Workshop variant that uses Ice Tokens is that it doesn't allow for any gain and play....so perhaps even $3 would have been fine for Cold Storage.   

EDIT: I've tweaked Ice Sculptor so that there is no longer a cost limitation (similar to Camel Train).  I've also modified Spring, so that it makes cards more expensive if you still have frozen cards.  I don't know if it makes it more interesting, but at least it justifies having Conditions in the first place.

Original Ice Sculptor:

Original Spring:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:05:12 pm by Timinou »

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2021, 06:30:56 am »
+1

Alternate title: We Ride at Dawn!

The final preparations are to be made on this morning before battle, sacrifice what we must this turn, for on the next, we fight!

This card is meant to take some (potentially turn-ending) downsides, either sacrificing any chance of playing action cards this turn (unless you use villagers) in order to have a double-sized hand the next, or sacrificing gaining a card this turn (unless you have other gains) in order to play some much-needed terminals, or by sacrificing your coin in the form of Treasures this turn for some coffers to be used later, or just completely nuke your current turn for all three! In my implementation of Dawn cards, you can only play one per turn before any other action cards. This is nice because you're always guaranteed to have 1 action 1 buy when playing this card, so it automatically avoids any negative action or buy shenanigans and you don't have to include any conditionals or rules clarifications, which is nice. It is self-limiting as well, as Dawns can only be played at the start, if you chose the horses it prevents you from being able to Eve of War for double your hand every turn, which is why this strong of an effect can be on a $5 card. It really is meant to be played on alternating turns (if you're lucky), so you can't just megaturn every turn as you would if it were an action card with the same effect for example. And voila! A new age of fan cards has dawned!

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2021, 10:50:53 am »
+1

All right, one last idea before i decide which one is my submission.

This one is Trade and condition

Which came first? The egg or the hen? Well, at least in dominion, the answer is now...

Way of the Egg

Which then flips into...

way of the hen

And hens can sense what the weather will be! it might be
a Sunny Day right now...

But it can quickly become a
Rainy night

Edit 1: Changed wording on some of these to clarify that you flip they way, not the actio card played (thanks emtalez!). Added the option to pay a Trade token for a buy or a money on the sunny day condition, which should normally be a bad deal, but you might be desperate.

Old versions of the cards
v1 Way of the egg

v1 way of the hen

v1 Sunny day (condition)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 01:56:35 pm by fika monster »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 10:58:10 am »

/

Mission • $4 • Action
If it is A Time To Preach, +1 Worshipper. If it is A Time To Build, +2 Villagers.

Turn over A Time To Preach/A Time To Build.

A Time To Preach • Condition
At the start of your turn, you may spend a Trade Token for +1 Coffers.
(A Time to Build is on the other side)
and on the other side:
A Time To Build • Condition
When you buy a card costing $3 or more, gain a Trade Token.
(A Time to Preach is on the other side)

the condition starts with "A Time To Preach" face up, so it will take at least two plays of Mission to turn trade tokens into coffers.

An alternating village/trasher. Uses Conditions, Worshippers, and Trade tokens. Only allows conversion of one Trade token into Coffers at a time.

I like this submission, but i think the conditions names are too long: idk

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 11:47:18 am »
+1

/

Mission • $4 • Action
If it is A Time To Preach, +1 Worshipper. If it is A Time To Build, +2 Villagers.

Turn over A Time To Preach/A Time To Build.

A Time To Preach • Condition
At the start of your turn, you may spend a Trade Token for +1 Coffers.
(A Time to Build is on the other side)
and on the other side:
A Time To Build • Condition
When you buy a card costing $3 or more, gain a Trade Token.
(A Time to Preach is on the other side)

the condition starts with "A Time To Preach" face up, so it will take at least two plays of Mission to turn trade tokens into coffers.

An alternating village/trasher. Uses Conditions, Worshippers, and Trade tokens. Only allows conversion of one Trade token into Coffers at a time.

I like this submission, but i think the conditions names are too long: idk
I kind of agree, but if there's a whole expansion with conditions themed around the Byrds song (or the ecclesiastes verses that inspired it), i think it'd be fine.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2021, 12:07:35 pm »
+1

Which came first? The egg or the hen? Well, at least in dominion, the answer is now...

Way of the Egg

Which then flips into...

way of the hen

And hens can sense what the weather will be! it might be
a Sunny Day right now...

But it can quickly become a
Rainy night

When a Way uses the word "this" it refers to the Action card being played using the Way, not the Way itself (see Way of the Butterfly, Frog, Rat,
Turtle). Thus, these should probably say "Flip Way of the Egg" and "Flip Way of the Hen" instead of "Flip this."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:09:38 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2021, 01:12:01 pm »

When a Way uses the word "this" it refers to the Action card being played using the Way, not the Way itself (see Way of the Butterfly, Frog, Rat,
Turtle). Thus, these should probably say "Flip Way of the Egg" and "Flip Way of the Hen" instead of "Flip this."
Thanks for the suggestion. updated the cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2021, 03:45:25 pm »
+1

Alternate title: We Ride at Dawn!

The final preparations are to be made on this morning before battle, sacrifice what we must this turn, for on the next, we fight!

This card is meant to take some (potentially turn-ending) downsides, either sacrificing any chance of playing action cards this turn (unless you use villagers) in order to have a double-sized hand the next, or sacrificing gaining a card this turn (unless you have other gains) in order to play some much-needed terminals, or by sacrificing your coin in the form of Treasures this turn for some coffers to be used later, or just completely nuke your current turn for all three! In my implementation of Dawn cards, you can only play one per turn before any other action cards. This is nice because you're always guaranteed to have 1 action 1 buy when playing this card, so it automatically avoids any negative action or buy shenanigans and you don't have to include any conditionals or rules clarifications, which is nice. It is self-limiting as well, as Dawns can only be played at the start, if you chose the horses it prevents you from being able to Eve of War for double your hand every turn, which is why this strong of an effect can be on a $5 card. It really is meant to be played on alternating turns (if you're lucky), so you can't just megaturn every turn as you would if it were an action card with the same effect for example. And voila! A new age of fan cards has dawned!

In a kingdom with any +buy, the choosing all three option wouldn't really be much of a sacrifice.  -1 Action but +3 Villagers essentially reduces to +2 Villagers, since you can simply use one of those Villagers at the start of your Action phase, and "any number" includes 0, so you're not forced to discard any Treasures if you don't want to.  Maybe make it so the costs are at the start of your turn, but the bonuses come when you discard it from play?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:49:38 pm by mxdata »
They/them

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 04:33:50 pm »
+1

In a kingdom with any +buy, the choosing all three option wouldn't really be much of a sacrifice.  -1 Action but +3 Villagers essentially reduces to +2 Villagers, since you can simply use one of those Villagers at the start of your Action phase, and "any number" includes 0, so you're not forced to discard any Treasures if you don't want to.  Maybe make it so the costs are at the start of your turn, but the bonuses come when you discard it from play?

Maybe sacrifice was too strong a word. They're more like preparations. I didn't want the downsides to be oppressive, like the force discard hand of Tactician, since being a Dawn card itself is pretty limiting, so yes you would often take all three. The choose one option is there for precisely when taking a -1 Buy is too much of a turn killer on a crucial turn, so yeah if there are reliable +Buys there's no reason not to take all 3. I want this card to be always at least helpful, not a high risk high reward type card.

Maybe 5 Horses is too strong for the minor drawback of one less villager, it was originally 3 but then that made this card simply a delayed smithy. 4 might be a good number, I'll need to playtest it. 5 was nice for the aspect of blocking another Dawn play.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:38:39 pm by The Alchemist »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 09:55:00 pm »
+3

I had been wondering if I could put all 9 mechanics into one card/pile/line and keep it fairly cohesive. I think Wonders makes that pretty challenging, but I think the other 8 should be able to go together. As I was thinking about the different mechanics, I came back to something I had already toyed with. I have long had an idea for a fan expansion inspired by the Legend of Zelda games (tentatively called Dominion: Hyrule), but there is so much content that I have repeatedly gotten overwhelmed and stepped away from it.

One of the ideas I had was a mixed pile (along the lines of Castles) representing the various Temples in the different games. They work as a kind of twist on Reserve cards/Distant Lands. They are only worth VP if they end up on your mat, but in order to use them you need to call them off of it.

Given that some of the Temples (Water, Ice) have obvious connections to some of the mechanics (Aquatic, Freeze), it occurred to me that I might be able to pair up the rest of them. I have not had nearly enough time to make these ready to play (i.e. adjusted the balance, order, etc.), and the whole concept might be too much (all of the text is quite small). Thus, I am definitely not making these my submission. But I am kind of proud that I manage to get 8 of the 9 mechanics into a single pile in a (somewhat) cohesive way. Thus, I present my Temples pile (and the Condition that goes with it).

Not a Submission:

Conditions:

Because it is a pile of Victory cards, there are 12, but only 8 show up in 2 player games. Unlike Castles (that have 2 copies of 4 of the Castles), there are actually 12 different Temples. I'm not sure the best way to determine which gets used in a particular game, but I don't love the idea that they are always the same. The fact that these are Victory cards you can keep out of your deck makes them pretty desirable, and the fact that many of them have useful effects should increase that.
he/him/his

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 11:38:48 pm »
+4

Didn't have time to post this earlier, but:

Submissions closed.

(@fika monster, is Way of the Egg / Hen your final entry?)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 02:27:18 am »

Didn't have time to post this earlier, but:

Submissions closed.

(@fika monster, is Way of the Egg / Hen your final entry?)

ah yeah way of the egg/hen is my final entry: It feels interesting, albeit im not sure if its the best one i got

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2021, 01:20:06 pm »
+6

OK, looks like we have 11 entries for this week. Please see below and make sure I got the latest (and didn't miss any). I'll add judgements to this post in the next day or so, and a separate post with winners and final thoughts.

Fan Card Mechanics Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!

Northwest Passage - emtzalex
This card seems a little strong to me. Sure it's tempered by the fact that when you get it you have to freeze it 4 times, so it will be a while before you get to use. But once you do, it's quite powerful the turn you play it and bonkers the next turn. And then being aquatic, (on a turn where you've drawn extra cards, it'll come back very soon to your hand).

Mission (A Time to Preach / A Time to Build) - spineflu
I don't recall the initial conditions contest including conditions that due anything, so that's new (this is not the only entry that does that this week(s)). While I applaud the effort to try and use 3 different mechanics, I'm not sure I really see the connection between what is happening on the condition flip and what happens on the card itself. Maybe that's not too important, but still feels a little forced to me. It also feels to me like if your opponent got this, you might have to get one, (similar to artifacts) which has never been my personal favorite.

Swords to Plowshares (Peacetime / Wartime) - mxdata
I'm not sure if the condition here (Peacetime / Wartime) is meant to be the same as the one from my Garrison (from the contest), but I'll judge this independently, especially as I find shared conditions hard to wrap around). This feels a little week to me; I guess if there's something like Witch getting this so you can play multiple a turn could be useful, but feels like this will need to line up just right.  The +1 VP during VP also doesn't seem especially strong.

Relief Aid (Disaster / Aftermath) - Aquila
This one also has a non standard condition. But it's not one that gives you anything; it just determines when to flip itself (rather than on the play of the card). I like this one. It can curse, but itself provide a way to mitigate that (by providing Worshippers), and it it's not a flip every time, which I think is clever, in that you can control the flip some. In games with no other trashing, Since Worshippers are spent on clean up, you basically get to control (depending on what you trash) how the other players' relief aid (in a 2 player game) will affect you.

Night Traders - Xen3k
Straightforward card that is first a woodcutter, but can then be used to get you a more powerful hand if it's at the start of your turn (dawn). The night part might be extraneous (I get that it'll allow you to set up for Dawn, but I feel that's more important for Dawn cards that cannot be Action cards). But then again, if it's not there, maybe this is woodcutter too often and you don't get full use of your trade tokens. I think what I'm trying to say, is that maybe it could be simplified some, while still keeping (much of) the same intentions.

Fair Tide - Mahowrath
An even more straightforward card! Power up your turns when you start with this in your hand; and making it aquatic makes that (I think) more likely. One thing I'm unsure of is this is a play one or play multiple dawn card, so if you draw more fair tides, can you play them? Which would be likely if you had multiple, no, since either you've drawn them or they'd be next. Hmmm...

Gang Leader - naitchman
This one will clearly depend on what the kin cards. So could be great, could be weak. But that's often true of Command cards. I wonder if the trade token idea is a little forced as it could also just use the journey token, for example. (if there's no other trade token cards, then there's no benefit to not spending it, unless you think you just want to delay a turn).

Barter - bootymancer
Similar to the last card, not sure if it really needs the trade token (as you're likely to spend it; while you may decide not to, it simplifies the cards greatly without it and could just read "Choose one: +1 Buy, +$2; +2 Actions, +1 Buy; or +$1 Action, +1 card, +1 Buy". Which is strictly better than Woodcutter, no?

Ice Sculptor (Winter / Spring) - Timinou
Another set of conditions with extra text on them controlling the flip. It feels to me that this could just being used to not have as much text on the card itself (which could be a valid reason). So early on this is a delayed gainer; later in the game it's just a cantrip but can speed up the thawing of your cards (and until you do cards cost more). Cards costing more has been pointed out as problematic (e.g. horses and livery), so may be it should be 1 debt more instead? Overall, I find this an interesting card.

Eve of War - The Alchemist
I think with this one I just feel like too often you might just choose all three more often than just 1. Especially in cases where there are other cards that get you +1 Buy.

Way of the Egg / Way of the Hen (Sunny Day / Rainy Night) - fika monster
I do enjoy horizontal card shaped things! So this has plenty of that, yay. In some ways this one would depend on what other conditions exist in the game, so I feel in that way it's hard to judge. If it's only this one, then, it feels like it might be a little weak, since you have to spend an action just to get the trade token, and an action just to flip the condition to get you a small bonus the next turn.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:52:59 pm by scolapasta »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.