Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is this a viable strategy  (Read 1080 times)

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
Is this a viable strategy
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/27/game-20120327-124635-8c463c56.html
I just played a game where I open 5-2 on an ambassador board. Not wanting to play ambassador-nothing against amb-silver or double ambassador I decide to try a Stash-Navigator strategy
Because of militia this obviously shouldn't have worked but if militia is not on the board, should stash navigator win?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a viable strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:19:49 pm »

It's been said before but I'll say it again, ambassador is kind of meh when there's no engine, but elite when there is one. This is clearly a case of no engine, so the double amb opening is pretty bad. That said, there are a few decent BM options. Trader works quite well as a BM amb counter, though it's likely countered fairly well by militia. Ditto your stash plan. It should beat ambassador without a huge issue but lose to militia. So I think militia/BM is the best opening, though after you see your opponent open ambassador, you have lots of options.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a viable strategy
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

I would've gone with Militia, as it definitely hampers the ability to play a useful Ambassador turn. I'm surprised your opponent tried to curse you with Ambassadors on such a board, as that's only a good idea if you can consistently cycle through your deck. And you missed a good opportunity with Trader, there. It's the best counter to Ambassador, yet you bought none. Plus, it would've made your deck so dense with silvers that Stash would've been completely irrelevant (though Stash is crap most of the time anyways).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.576 seconds with 20 queries.