Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #108: How Deep is your Pile?  (Read 16516 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #108: How Deep is your Pile?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2021, 09:28:37 am »
+1

This looks fun, but I'd be afraid that it gets a bit too ridiculous with the +Action token, Champion or Academy. Especially considering that these are very easy to insta-pile that way, which will leave one player with a massive advantage.

That's a really good point. I'll think about if there's a reasonably elegant fix.

Edit: it now duplicates itself at the end of your turn rather than immediately. This prevents you from emptying the pile in one turn. It still allows you to draw your deck pretty easily if you have a +1 Action token.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:37:54 am by silverspawn »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2021, 09:37:10 am »
+1

More rare tulips than ordinary ones?
Could the Rare Tulip pile be like the Knights pile with 10 different variants? Then they are all rare!
I know, right?  ;D Though the Tulips do replenish, so in that sense they're less rare.

I don't want to overcomplicate things, so I won't do unique variants. However I've now changed things so that Tulips keep getting replenished even once that Rare ones are gone!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:44:02 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:44 am »

For clarification: Is the "return to your buy phase" part of Rare Tulip dependent on the Tulip pile being empty?
No, it is supposed to happen every time. I thought about putting it first, but it seemed odd to have the card still resolving after you've returned to the Buy phase.

I'd suggest to make Rare Tulip a Treasure card instead of a Night card then, removing the need for the "return to buy phase". That's much simpler conceptually and won't make a difference in practice AFAICS (at least as long as there are no other Night cards in the kingdom). It's also rather thematic since tulips were considered valuable assets during the 17th century Tulip mania... ;)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2021, 11:02:18 am »
+2

For clarification: Is the "return to your buy phase" part of Rare Tulip dependent on the Tulip pile being empty?
No, it is supposed to happen every time. I thought about putting it first, but it seemed odd to have the card still resolving after you've returned to the Buy phase.

I'd suggest to make Rare Tulip a Treasure card instead of a Night card then, removing the need for the "return to buy phase". That's much simpler conceptually and won't make a difference in practice AFAICS (at least as long as there are no other Night cards in the kingdom). It's also rather thematic since tulips were considered valuable assets during the 17th century Tulip mania... ;)
It's pretty important that you are able to buy some Tulips before you play your Rare Tulips; this is why they are Night cards.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2021, 11:19:46 am »

It's pretty important that you are able to buy some Tulips before you play your Rare Tulips; this is why they are Night cards.

You're right, I missed that Rare Tulips being Night cards allows you to "activate" them by emptying the Tulip pile in the same turn.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2021, 11:40:13 am »
+1

Here is my attempt to recreate the Tulip mania in Dominion.

You should go meta and mint these as NFTs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:03:24 pm by spheremonk »

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2021, 01:23:14 pm »
+2

This one is quite crazy, as it affects the sizes of all the Supply piles. Hopefully it fits the content.

Army of the Dead
$8@8 - Project
At start of each of your subsequent turns, gain a card from Trash into your hand.
-
Setup: Put two bottom cards from each non-Victory Supply pile to Trash.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:28:39 pm by grep »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2021, 01:42:43 pm »
+1

This looks fun, but I'd be afraid that it gets a bit too ridiculous with the +Action token, Champion or Academy. Especially considering that these are very easy to insta-pile that way, which will leave one player with a massive advantage.

That's a really good point. I'll think about if there's a reasonably elegant fix.

Edit: it now duplicates itself at the end of your turn rather than immediately. This prevents you from emptying the pile in one turn. It still allows you to draw your deck pretty easily if you have a +1 Action token.

TL;DR, another below-the-line option might be to add "You may not put any player-specific tokens on this Supply pile."

It's not quite as elegant, but I think this might be a better option. Even in a Lost Arts-Smithy game, that strategy is insanely powerful, and frequently (in my experience) the only issue with it is that you so quickly have enough money to buy Gold/Provinces that, absent +Buys, you end up not getting that many Smithies (and sometimes have to go back to them when your deck fills up with green). A Smithy that gained itself would make the already powerful effect even more potent, even if it only replicated at the end of the turn (preventing piling).

But while the +1 Action token makes this broken, I don't know that Academy or Champion pose the nearly the same risk. If you use Academy to pile these, you only end up with 1 extra Villager, and otherwise it effectively makes them self-gaining double Lackeys (you get the effect of Lackeys twice, and both come with enough Villagers to be two Labs). With Champion, there's rarely any guarantee that you will get it played before the game ends, and Traveller lines do not get along well with terminal drawing. If you wait to start getting Missionaries until after you play Champion you probably will have little time to use them, and if you buy them early then you run the big risk of drawing your Traveller dead and having to wait another shuffle to use them.

I used this language in a draft of a card I ended up dropping. My first early designs for WDC 102 was a card called Industrious Monks that was initially "+$2, return this to your hand," which I think I read was considered as a design for an official card, but was ultimately thrown out because if you got it in a game with no villages, it wasn't any fun to play with. To fix that, I added a Treasure-Map-like mechanic where if you trashed two IMs you could move the +1 Action token to a Supply pile (presumably letting you create a village as there is almost always at least one cantrip or disappearing money).

The immediate problem with that was that the obvious choice was to move the +1 Action token to Industrious Monks to make each give you unlimited money. My first thought was to have it put the token on a different Supply pile, but the interaction with Lost Arts still makes endless cash too easy. Next I added below-the-line text that said. "You may not put any player-specific tokens on this Supply pile." While this solved my +1 Action token problem, I soon realized there was also a Champion problem that I couldn't find a solution to, so I scrapped it.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2021, 02:38:49 pm »

I'm leaning doing something like that. But why 'player-specific'? Are you thinking about Taxes? Is debt even a token?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2021, 02:53:58 pm »

I'm leaning doing something like that. But why 'player-specific'? Are you thinking about Taxes? Is debt even a token?
There's also Embargo (though that doesn't lead to rules issues) and Defiled Shrine.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2021, 04:51:42 pm »

When I wrote that I was just thinking of the tokens from Adventures, and any fan-created variations thereon. To be honest, you could probably limit it further to the +1 Action token (barring something like a +2 Actions token from the aforementioned fan-created variants or [less likely] a future expansions). That said, given the ability to gain these so rapidly, keeping the other bonus tokens off is probably not a bad idea.

By contrast, I do see a drawback to making it unaffected by Tax (which I do think would be implicated, as the physical objects that go onto the piles during IRL games are called Debt tokens) and Embargo, and (to a lesser extent) Defiled Shrine. I don't know that players need an additional incentive to get it, which keeping off Debt/Embargo tokens would do. Also, with Tax and Defiled Shrine, it creates an odd situation where you get contradictory instructions from two different card-shaped objects. I'm not sure the rules clearly contemplate what to do in that situation (but I could be wrong about that). (There is also a minor synergy with Embargo if you buy one Missionaries then Embargo the deck; you can keep gaining them while the other players [absent other sources of gaining] will have to eat a Curse to get into it).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1350
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2021, 05:15:39 pm »

Distant Island
When you gain a non-Reserve card costing $3 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to put this and the gained card on your Tavern mat. Worth 3 VP if on your Tavern mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0 VP)

A Reserve-Victory-Reaction card.  Conceptually a kind of hybrid of Distant Lands and Island.  Like Distant Lands, it's a Victory card that's only worth points if it's on your Reserve mat at the end of the game, and like Island, it can be used to set other cards off to the side, in this case to the Reserve mat rather than a dedicated Island mat.  It can only be put on the Tavern mat if you have it in your hand while gaining a card costing $3 or more.  The restriction to $3 or more is to make it a little more difficult to activate - otherwise you could simply buy a Copper with an extra buy to activate it, or even use the reaction on a gained Curse, while the non-Reserve qualification is there to keep you from using it to immediately put Reserve cards on the mat.  Unlike Island, you can't use it to remove your starting cards, or cards gained when it's not in hand.  Since it doesn't use up an Action to put it on the Tavern mat, I made it worth a little less VP than Distant Lands

It combines two types - Reaction and Reserve - which are not combined in any other cards (at least, standard cards, I wouldn't be surprised if other people have made fan cards combining those types) and the only reaction, other than Hovel, without an above-the-line part

An obvious use of this card would be buying a Victory card with it in hand.  The non-Reserve restriction keeps you from using that on other Distant Islands, or with Distant Lands if you have both in the same game, but any other Victory cards other than Estates would be fair game

I'd consider choosing reaction-blue and victory-green as the colors on this, instead of reserve brown.

Since there's no call option on distant island, you'll never need to remember you can call it from your tavern mat. gubump had a whole spiel about this the other day in the discord, how distant lands probably didnt need the reserve type, since miser didnt have it but also put uncallable cards on the tavmat.

Anyhow, blue and green are the useful player cues with this - blue especially, I missed that this was a reaction at first glance.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I'll update it accordingly
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2021, 05:24:40 pm »

Since there's no call option on distant island, you'll never need to remember you can call it from your tavern mat. gubump had a whole spiel about this the other day in the discord, how distant lands probably didnt need the reserve type, since miser didnt have it but also put uncallable cards on the tavmat.

Anyhow, blue and green are the useful player cues with this - blue especially, I missed that this was a reaction at first glance.

Imo, this shouldn't be a reserve card at all. Just make it set aside itself and add "(This stays aside permanently.)"

That would also eliminate the necessity of adding "non-Reserve", and Prince already does the setting-aside-permanently without a dedicated "Prince mat", and in games without any other Reserve cards, it would avoid the necessity of bringing out the mat just for this card
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2021, 06:08:15 pm »
+4

Someone on Discord suggested making it so you can trash a DC for nothing in return without needing to be unable to trash something else, so I've made that change.

There are 20 Developing Cities in its pile.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:41:30 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2021, 06:10:22 pm »

whats an expanding city

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2021, 06:14:54 pm »
+1

whats an expanding city

Realized that mistake right after posting. I've fixed the misnaming and nerfed it by making it unable to trash DCs.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2021, 06:38:29 pm »

This is basically strictly stronger than a smithy, since gaining too many smithies is rarely a downside (even without villages, this would be good in a money deck). I think it needs to be $5, since what, only a quarter of games max actually have trash for benefit? But if it is a big concern, make it cost 5 debt. That way it doesn't get anything from tfb and still costs more than a plain smithy. At 2, this makes the 5/2 opening just way too good.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2021, 07:00:29 pm »

pretty sure having 20 smithies in your deck is not good for a big money deck. I think this is unplayable in money decks, and rarely playable with trashing.

You don't necessarily need trash for benefit; something like Junk Dealer would probably be fine.

it could cost debt, but I don't think that's needed. Debt cost is a possibility, but I like it at 2$.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2021, 07:11:32 pm »

This would be the version:

Not yet sure if I really like it better.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2021, 07:18:26 pm »

Heres an old card idea for this weeks competition: A sort of tournament-sauna. It starts off weak but quickly snowballs.
Made a lot of tiny updates to the card and a complete switch with one of them. Kudos to silverspawn for feedback
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2021, 07:20:03 pm »
+1

This would be the version:

Not yet sure if I really like it better.

I don't think i have a problem personally with + action token going on this: Its somewhat rare, and seems like a fun ocassional thing. its like that for a lot of the crappy +2 cards.

If your really set on that, maybe make it:
"-1VP".
That way, the player who gets a lot of them need to score more in the +Action token game

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:21:43 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2021, 07:26:04 pm »
+1

Yeah, I found the idea convincing initially, but just nuking a powerful combo is usually not needed. Apprentice with market square is no less broken and people like it fine. I think I'll leave the older version after all. (I.e., the one that gains Missionaries at the end but doesn't reference tokens.)

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2021, 10:45:37 pm »
+1

pretty sure having 20 smithies in your deck is not good for a big money deck. I think this is unplayable in money decks, and rarely playable with trashing.

You don't necessarily need trash for benefit; something like Junk Dealer would probably be fine.

it could cost debt, but I don't think that's needed. Debt cost is a possibility, but I like it at 2$.

But the point stands, in a majority of boards a smithy is not junk. Gaining anything on top of smithy effect that isn't an estate, copper, curse, or ruin is a bonus and makes this card stronger than smithy. It can't cost less than a smithy. It either needs a real drawback, like the -1 VP suggested, or a higher price.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2021, 12:12:14 am »

It's not gaining a Smithy; it's gaining a Missionary. The exponential growth is a big downside in engines.

Consider this, is Rats strictly better than "+1 Card, +1 Action, Trash a card from your hand"?  ::)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2021, 02:25:46 am »
+2

Distant Island
When you gain a non-Reserve card costing $3 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to put this and the gained card on your Tavern mat. Worth 3 VP if on your Tavern mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0 VP)

A Reserve-Victory-Reaction card.  Conceptually a kind of hybrid of Distant Lands and Island.  Like Distant Lands, it's a Victory card that's only worth points if it's on your Reserve mat at the end of the game, and like Island, it can be used to set other cards off to the side, in this case to the Reserve mat rather than a dedicated Island mat.  It can only be put on the Tavern mat if you have it in your hand while gaining a card costing $3 or more.  The restriction to $3 or more is to make it a little more difficult to activate - otherwise you could simply buy a Copper with an extra buy to activate it, or even use the reaction on a gained Curse, while the non-Reserve qualification is there to keep you from using it to immediately put Reserve cards on the mat.  Unlike Island, you can't use it to remove your starting cards, or cards gained when it's not in hand.  Since it doesn't use up an Action to put it on the Tavern mat, I made it worth a little less VP than Distant Lands

It combines two types - Reaction and Reserve - which are not combined in any other cards (at least, standard cards, I wouldn't be surprised if other people have made fan cards combining those types) and the only reaction, other than Hovel, without an above-the-line part

An obvious use of this card would be buying a Victory card with it in hand.  The non-Reserve restriction keeps you from using that on other Distant Islands, or with Distant Lands if you have both in the same game, but any other Victory cards other than Estates would be fair game

Updated version, after feedback from Silverspan and Spineflu

When you gain a card costing $3 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to set this and the gained card aside, for the rest of the game. Worth 3 VP if set aside at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0 VP)
They/them
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 2.176 seconds with 21 queries.