Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76  All

Author Topic: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Game concluded)  (Read 201201 times)

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Day 1)
« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2021, 09:36:39 pm »

mathdude: For example, I have a night action that will trigger a turning point.  The action may help me or hurt me (it's sort of unclear, and flavour-wise, it looks like it could do either) but may also do nothing

I'm curious about math saying "me" here, instead of "town".

This was an intentional choice.  I had initially typed "The action may help me or Town, or it may hurt me or Town".  But as I re-read before posting, I decided there isn't really anything about it town-related.  It's specifically related to my character, and possibly has some relation to my character arc, but I don't know yet (my character arc/goal currently makes no sense to me, so I'm actually assuming a/multiple turning point(s) may be needed for it to make sense).

I would say your personal goal and faction wincon are the two things that really matter, and we've been told they shouldn't conflict. The show is set on a military battle star that ends up having a fleet of civilian ships around it that it has to protect, so the military are initially heroes. The series does play with the problem of overreaching military policing citizens, but they do that mostly by introducing a second base star with an abusive but effective leader (Admiral Helena Cain), who is eventually killed off. That's not to say that there aren't times where the civilian government and military command don't agree, but ultimately the leader of the military (Admiral Bill Adama) and the President (Laura Roslin) end up together. Oh, and the super-problematic other civilian I forgot to mention before is Gaius Baltar, the incredibly sleazy self-interested scientific genius who's involved in unwittingly letting the Cylons into a back door in Caprica's defence mainframe prior to the big attack that wipes out the colonies, then cheats his way off-planet, offers up his intellectual services on Galactica, and proceeds to do lots of dubious stuff, like having an imaginary cylon in his head all the time, building up an entire cult of personality that sees him become president for a time, and also escaping to the Cylon fleet to collaborate with them when he's in hot water in the human fleet. One of my friends who used to like playing Balter in the BSG game absolutely didn't want to any more after seeing the show!

Thanks.  This helps.  I noticed some of those flavour things when I was reading up yesterday and today, so it's good to see confirmation of some stuff.
he/him

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2021, 09:40:22 pm »

mathdude: For example, I have a night action that will trigger a turning point.  The action may help me or hurt me (it's sort of unclear, and flavour-wise, it looks like it could do either) but may also do nothing

I'm curious about math saying "me" here, instead of "town".

It's a townslip. Don't ask me why I think that.

I like mathdude's reasponse here. @MiX, what is your rationale for why math should be consulting with you?

Why not? It's a free opportunity to know my answer before the thread's. Besides, I'm there to help him make decisions, it's why the QT exists in the first place.
Your reactions seem a lot stronger than this.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2021, 09:41:54 pm »

Why not? It's a free opportunity to know my answer before the thread's. Besides, I'm there to help him make decisions, it's why the QT exists in the first place.

It is.  And I started there.  I'm doing what's best for me, my character, my character arc, and Town.  I'll still post in QT, but I'm not sharing anything there that I also won't share here... at least at this moment.

Don't ask me why I think that.

Why do you think that?

I would have expected this out of ash.  If it wasn't about me, I would have said the same thing.  Good to see there are others out there thinking the same way!
he/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2021, 09:44:35 pm »

This is stupid. I offer a masonry, I try to protect you, and this is how you repay me? Why do I bother.

Dayvig: math

This is way more amusing anyway.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 20, 2021, 09:52:48 pm »

This is stupid. I offer a masonry, I try to protect you, and this is how you repay me? Why do I bother.

"offer a masonry"?  I saw no such thing.

I'm going to guess "dayvig" is actually a power or something, and this could be the end of me.  Might as well get some final thoughts out before I flip if that's where it's going.

Personal goals seem to be playing some effect here with MiX, which obviously don't align with me or Town.  And he's ready to take advantage of the Presidency, even if it outs him, for some reason.  He has said he's strongly townreading me, yet kills me?  What's up with that?

If I am gone... I'll see you all in speccy later, and/or in another game.  Maybe I'll get past day 1 one of these games!
he/him

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2021, 10:01:52 pm »

"offer a masonry"?  I saw no such thing.

I'm going to guess "dayvig" is actually a power or something, and this could be the end of me.  Might as well get some final thoughts out before I flip if that's where it's going.

Personal goals seem to be playing some effect here with MiX, which obviously don't align with me or Town.  And he's ready to take advantage of the Presidency, even if it outs him, for some reason.  He has said he's strongly townreading me, yet kills me?  What's up with that?

If I am gone... I'll see you all in speccy later, and/or in another game.  Maybe I'll get past day 1 one of these games!

I wouldn't pack your bags too soon - knowing MiX he's just bluffing here to get a reaction.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2021, 10:04:26 pm »

Well, it got a reaction.
he/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2021, 10:09:04 pm »

Well, it got a reaction.

And by this response you'd know that I told math it was a bluff after he made that post.

Sorry everyone, I just can't help it. Besides, wouldn't it be cool if I had a gun to threaten the president with as the vice-president? Sadly I don't have one today.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2021, 10:32:10 pm »

But it always frustrates me when someone answers a question with a question.

But what if you are on Jeopardy?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2021, 10:32:36 pm »

I find mathdude’s response to MiX entirely in line with how others of us have responded to MiX in the past. He IS controlling and bossy, so that read is dead on. Aggravating MiX is a badge of honor. It’s super towny of math to respond this way, I think.

classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2021, 10:32:44 pm »

Has the command for an actual dayvig ever been "dayvig"?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2021, 10:32:57 pm »

Another point of discussion... our species, which we don't know.  Does that play into things?  Or is alignment all that will really matter?  And how about civilian/military?  I've assumed civilian is a good thing (since I am, and since getting a military president can trigger a turning point).  But now I've also heard that the majority of the "good" guys (flavour-wise) are military?  Where does this all fit in?  Is it a battle between those two factions as well, or is Scum/Town (Town-aligned/non-Town-aligned) all that matters?

I don't know anything about the flavor, but I think it's pretty clear that our species does play into things somehow, otherwise it would not be in the game. The same is true for civilian/military. It might affect abilities, e.g. a player could have an ability that targets a player and does different things depending on the target's species. Civilian and military affect the president at least, but there could also be abilities that care about it. It is not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, and it probably doesn't suggest anything about your alignment. There is no battle between civilians and military, or humans and Cylons, only town and scum — we win when all threats to town have been eliminated regardless of anything else that might be going on.

Someone hacked Awaclus' account.  This is not Awaclus typing.  (Queue he's been taken over by a Cylon joke.)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2021, 10:33:09 pm »

Has the command for an actual dayvig ever been "dayvig"?

Not that I know of.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2021, 10:34:01 pm »

This was an intentional choice.  I had initially typed "The action may help me or Town, or it may hurt me or Town".  But as I re-read before posting, I decided there isn't really anything about it town-related.  It's specifically related to my character, and possibly has some relation to my character arc, but I don't know yet (my character arc/goal currently makes no sense to me, so I'm actually assuming a/multiple turning point(s) may be needed for it to make sense).

Also, putting an "or" between yourself and Town would at least slightly seem to suggest you are separate entities.  Seems like a bad thing to do.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2021, 10:37:24 pm »

Also, putting an "or" between yourself and Town would at least slightly seem to suggest you are separate entities.  Seems like a bad thing to do.

I can see how you read it that way.  Obviously, not the way I had written it.  Look to the rest of the post, saying "I have no idea what the night action does"... by that token, "it may help me"... "it may hurt me"... "it may help Town"... *OR* (in reality AND/OR) "it may hurt Town".  That's where that "or" comes from.
he/him

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2021, 10:37:58 pm »

Someone hacked Awaclus' account.  This is not Awaclus typing.  (Queue he's been taken over by a Cylon joke.)

Why? It is me typing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2021, 10:41:52 pm »

Why? It is me typing.

As others have noted, it just didn't sound like you.  Longer than normal, full of useful information.  NAI, though.

Also, even if you have been taken over by a Cylon, it'd be "you" typing, right?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2021, 10:42:21 pm »

Completely off-topic, but I'm working on something dealing with balanced scorecards, which is abbreviated BSC.  Keep thinking it is BSG due to this game.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2021, 11:11:31 pm »

But it always frustrates me when someone answers a question with a question.

But what if you are on Jeopardy?

In Jeopardy, they answer statements with a question.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2021, 11:14:57 pm »

I find mathdude’s response to MiX entirely in line with how others of us have responded to MiX in the past. He IS controlling and bossy, so that read is dead on. Aggravating MiX is a badge of honor. It’s super towny of math to respond this way, I think.

I agree. I also think if mathdude/MiX were scum/town, this would've played out differently. If I stick with my original discounting of scum / scum there, I'm even more inclined to think townie thought for mathdude. town / scum is still possible. (and there still is some chance that scum / scum orchestrated all this in the daychat in order to present mathdude with the opportunity to have this reaction. I doubt it?, but I don't want to ignore the possibility either)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2021, 11:30:41 pm »

As others have noted, it just didn't sound like you.

Nobody else has noted that.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2021, 05:09:34 am »

Vote Count 1.6

ashersky (1): mathdude
Robz888 (1): MiX
MiX (3): ashersky, Robz888, SpaceAnemone
scolapasta (4): A Drowned Kernel, Swowl, Awaclus, Jack Rudd
Jack Rudd (1): scolapasta

Not Voting (4): WestCoastDidds, LaLight, Dylan32, EFHW

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to exile. Day 1 ends March 23, 2021, 03:30:00 am. This is in about 2 days.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2021, 08:33:30 am »

So I know it's a little hypocritical of me to be calling out someone else for lurking (I always get lost in these big RMM games) but Dylan has made zero posts in 5 IRL days

prod request: Dylan

People I don't want to exile: math, mix, ash, swowl, lalight (yes I know I can't). Pretty much anyone else is fair game

Also, I was thinking about the curfew, and there is a plan possible there, but I don't know how good it is. Basically if everyone just doesn't do any night actions, then if there's a nightkill tonight, we can just auto-exile scum tomorrow by putting everyone at L-1 in succession, right?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2021, 09:55:30 am »

Also, I was thinking about the curfew, and there is a plan possible there, but I don't know how good it is. Basically if everyone just doesn't do any night actions, then if there's a nightkill tonight, we can just auto-exile scum tomorrow by putting everyone at L-1 in succession, right?

I like that idea, though presumably scum could no-kill and then we're in perpetual d1 with respect to the amount of investigative information available, which seems like a nightmare scenario for anyone who plays like me, where vote analysis and evidence are key :-P Do we have enough "reads" players to carry the game for town there?

Aside from that, though, I think there are just too many cats to herd at this stage of the game for it to be feasible. I'm sure we can all imagine a player who'd absolutely swear that they were correct to use their power in spite of such a plan if they thought it was strong, and not care that it messes up a town-wide plan. We've also got players who're surprisingly willing to self-vote if hammers become available, playing to meta as much as to their wincons. So I  think it might be risky.

Lastly, compulsive actions are definitely a thing in regular mafia, so I see no reason not to assume we may have townies with compulsive powers here. With so little known so far about how faust's particular game mechanics are realised, I think it's probably too early to go around demanding that everyone owns up to whether they have a compulsive action ahead of N1, which we'd probably have to do in order to stop scum using that excuse as a reason not to run them to E-1.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2021, 09:57:13 am »

As others have noted, it just didn't sound like you.

Nobody else has noted that.

I noted that is sounded exactly like Awaclus. Maybe ash thought I meant it the other way around?

What if we have to do night actions?

PPE: Yeah I completely agree with Space here. Well except the perpetual D1 part, it would only happen once.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.