Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76  All

Author Topic: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Game concluded)  (Read 200664 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
Re: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Day 1)
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2021, 07:34:39 pm »

reading along, finding it a bit hard to participate. maybe it's a no voting thing, but i feel like i am really waiting for D2 to happen.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2021, 07:45:37 pm »

reading along, finding it a bit hard to participate. maybe it's a no voting thing, but i feel like i am really waiting for D2 to happen.

Sadz. Although that's what Space said the board game is like, too!
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2021, 08:26:59 pm »

So if there is a day stalling in the future, I wanted to be able to use this card in the future to force an exile (and one with civilian influence).

Are you aware that probably the majority the "good" characters in the show are military, rather than civilian? Of the civilian ones I can think of in the board game, other than the president herself (who's sympathetic on the whole), I can basically only think of a shady ex-con politician, a very manipulative political aide who murders someone for personal reasons, a weird lawyer, and the wife of one of the senior military officers on BSG, who was a bad influence on him and ultimately fed info to the cylons. I'd think that a lot of these people could have personal goals that aren't necessarily great for the rest of town.

Huh, I assume giving out spoilers for the show isn't something I need to try too hard to avoid, right?

I am not aware of that. Thanks for the info. I hope to read up on more of the flavour this weekend... it was a busy week.

Also, since signups said knowledge of flavour could be helpful but not required (or something like that, if I remember correctly),I think you're safe yo give out show spoilers for people like me who don't know much.
he/him

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2021, 11:34:56 pm »

I'm not townreading scola or AKD for their opinions, but for their straightforward posts.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2021, 11:40:10 pm »

Scum absolutely want to know where the active powers are, so they can block/redirect/nk. I don't if they have those specific powers besides the nk, but they usually have something along those lines.

Math's idea that scum would be taking more actions is interesting and makes this order not so bad if true.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2021, 12:07:34 am »

Vote: math for making a decision that he could've consulted with me first before doing it that I disagree with...twice. If you don't want my help, then I don't want you alive. I can just be the president if the QT's not useful for you.

Vote: MiX for taking it upon himself to dictate to the president.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that consulting is good, but I definitely don't like that you hint, even in jest, that exiling the president to stage a coup is a proportionate response to a newish player making mistakes his own way.

Agree
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2021, 02:29:36 am »

I feel like we can easily just agree not to vote people to E-2 or whatever and avoid the whole claiming actions thing, no?  Going against that agreement can just be a badge of mafia-ness.

I mean, if someone has 5 night actions, good for them.  Hopefully they are limited shot, and they don't want to use them all up at once.

I think of Curfew as a "make everyone Hated, some worse than others" untargeted power of the President.  It disproportionately hurts town, I think, because mafia in theory should be able to spread the actions they take around the group to limit the actions/player ratio.

Perhaps it makes them think about using personal vs. faction powers, if such a dilemma exists.  Depends on design; I've used the few to no personal powers and just let the whole team choose from a list thing before, and so could faust.

Curfew obviously is a "built for RMM" type power, since VTs don't care about it in a normal game.  If you measure strength by "how many votes does it remove overall for exiling" then it is clearly a stronger mafia power than town power just due to sheer numbers of players.

I guess another wording for this could be "Curfew: Add the following text to every power in the game: If you use this power tonight, you will take one less vote to exile tomorrow."

We're sure that the card "expires" after today?  The wording can be applied every day, you know.

Anyway, sorry for the stream of consciousness explanation of my thinking on Curfew.  Choosing it is on average (to me) a thing that benefits mafia more than town, so choosing it awards mafia points.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2021, 03:04:16 am »

We're sure that the card "expires" after today?  The wording can be applied every day, you know.

that is actually an extremely good point. The wording does not specify it at all.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2021, 03:08:40 am »

I feel like we can easily just agree not to vote people to E-2 or whatever and avoid the whole claiming actions thing, no?  Going against that agreement can just be a badge of mafia-ness.
Should that not be E-3? or is the ash hammer turned off?
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2021, 03:30:25 am »

Vote: math for making a decision that he could've consulted with me first before doing it that I disagree with...twice. If you don't want my help, then I don't want you alive. I can just be the president if the QT's not useful for you.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that consulting is good, but I definitely don't like that you hint, even in jest, that exiling the president to stage a coup is a proportionate response to a newish player making mistakes his own way.

1. Totally agree with the concept that Mix voting there is bad.
2. Mix did, I believe, insta change that vote. I get that the implications are still there, but just saying it to be clear.
3. Math does not seem like a new player to me. To this site, obviously. However, it is a game. So either you are reading them as "wet behind the ears" which I do not think is true, or just new to FDS. If it is just new to FDS, this is silly. They have proven to be a reasonable person and a good player, they are not going to leave simply based on game state choices... which is a good thing.... I hate when passes are given out to new players. They have the same amount likelihood of being skum as anyone else. As it happens, Math is not on my lynch list today, so I am not promoting a math lynch , I am just saying right now that I am giving absolutely zero credibility to anyone that gives the reason "bc Math is a new player". *Math - no offense, you seem cool and all*
--- unlike you (joke-ish)
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 20, 2021, 03:57:45 am »

@MiX - you went from quote "lynching math today is bad" to quote "vote: math"... I know you switched to robz... but that is a big swing. How did that happen?
real good. That’s how

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2021, 04:45:11 am »

Robz has split personality disorder in this VC :P
Thanks, it's fixed now.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2021, 04:46:33 am »

Vote Count 1.5

ashersky (1): mathdude
Robz888 (2): EFHW, MiX
MiX (3): ashersky, Robz888, SpaceAnemone
mathdude (1): scolapasta
scolapasta (2): A Drowned Kernel, Swowl
A Drowned Kernel (1): Awaclus

Not Voting (4): Jack Rudd, WestCoastDidds, LaLight, Dylan32

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to exile. Day 1 ends March 23, 2021, 03:30:00 am.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2021, 04:51:32 am »

Note that I updated the wording for Curfew as it was somewhat ambiguous. The text now reads:

Curfew
For any action a player takes the following Night, they will take one fewer vote to exile on the Day after.

This does not mean any functional difference.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2021, 07:14:28 am »

unvote from RVS.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2021, 08:28:01 am »

that is actually an extremely good point. The wording does not specify it at all.

Curfew
The following Day, all players take one vote fewer to exile for each Action they took the previous Night.

Yes it does.

@MiX - you went from quote "lynching math today is bad" to quote "vote: math"... I know you switched to robz... but that is a big swing. How did that happen?

I really want to not exile math today. However, I can see him be scum. Given I'm townreading almost everyone, a little thing such as "saying what orders were available" swung me to voting him. Then I dialed back to Robz, because Robz is scum.

Agree

This is so lazy I cannot see a town!Robz make this post. You agree with what? Space put down a personal thought, do you also dislike that "I hinted that exiling the president to stage a coup is a proportionate response to a newish player making mistakes his own way"? Great, but why even make this post then, this isn't even about the game.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2021, 09:55:07 am »

Curfew
The following Day, all players take one vote fewer to exile for each Action they took the previous Night.

Yes it does.

No, it really doesn't.  As written, it can mean "the day after a player takes an action, they take one fewer vote to exile for each action they took."  It is applicable forever, because every time you read it, it doesn't refer to fixed points in time.  If "previous night" is Night 4, then the "following day" is Day 5.  It doesn't set a limit on when it triggers, just talks about days following nights in which actions are taken.

Note that I updated the wording for Curfew as it was somewhat ambiguous. The text now reads:

Curfew
For any action a player takes the following Night, they will take one fewer vote to exile on the Day after.

This does not mean any functional difference.

The new wording places the action of the Curfew card in the night following the playing of the Curfew card.  That is, if you read it on D1, it explicitly refers to N1 (the following night).  If you read it on D3, it refers to N3, and so on.  It doesn't do it perfectly, in my opinion, only because it is not super explicit, but I believe it is safely in the realm of "just accept it" now.

(An alternate wording based on my understanding: "For any action a player takes during the Night following the playing of this card, they will take one fewer vote to exile on the Day after.")
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2021, 12:58:32 pm »

Curfew

Yes it does.

No, it really doesn't.  As written, it can mean "the day after a player takes an action, they take one fewer vote to exile for each action they took."  It is applicable forever, because every time you read it, it doesn't refer to fixed points in time.  If "previous night" is Night 4, then the "following day" is Day 5.  It doesn't set a limit on when it triggers, just talks about days following nights in which actions are taken.

"The following day" refers to the day after the order was chosen, the same way "the following night" refers to the night after the order was chosen for the new wording. Why is one clearer than the other?

More importantly, why am I arguing semantics?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2021, 02:45:41 pm »

Because you're on the Dominion Strategy Forum, and arguing semantics is what we do here.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2021, 04:48:36 pm »

Because you're on the Dominion Strategy Forum, and arguing semantics is what we do here.

If that was the question that makes you climb out of hiding, I'll take it!

Do you have any thoughts on what's happening on the thread? Anything at all would be helpful.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2021, 05:24:05 pm »

No thoughts on what's happening on the thread, lots of background knowledge on Battlestar Galactica. Should that be at all helpful.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2021, 05:30:46 pm »

No thoughts on what's happening on the thread, lots of background knowledge on Battlestar Galactica. Should that be at all helpful.

Okay, why shouldn't we exile you today? You can be scum as much as anyone else, and you don't seem to be playing the game. So why have you around at all?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2021, 06:19:13 pm »

Is it just me or is this the slowest start to a game? I know I haven't been in too many with y'all but usually D1 is page after page (and for example overnight - I usually have to catch up to at least a few pages worth of posts).

this morning, there were just a few posts and they were basically all about a rewording of a rule that was pretty clear in the first place, even more clear now, and yet resulted in a meaningless discussion.

I'm finding it very hard to get any scum reads on anyone but maybe that what scum wants? Imagine a game with no posts at all and the D1 exile would basically be random.

I've been ready to move on from my mathdude* vote for a while, but don't feel I have anyone to move on to...

* while I still think some of the decisions he made were questionable, his answers seemed sincere enough (time will tell if they were sincere or convenient), and without any better evidence, I would also prefer not to brig our president nor a newer player to this forum. That and do we really want MiX as president??

So c'mon people, post!
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2021, 06:22:42 pm »

So c'mon people, post!

Vote: scolapasta, as requested!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2021, 06:23:14 pm »

Okay, why shouldn't we exile you today? You can be scum as much as anyone else, and you don't seem to be playing the game. So why have you around at all?

Surprised this was accompanied with a vote.  Here, I'll do it for you:

Vote: Jack Rudd
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76  All

Page created in 1.627 seconds with 20 queries.