Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76  All

Author Topic: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Game concluded)  (Read 200646 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Day 1)
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2021, 10:12:34 am »

What strikes me about math's pick is that it likely has no effect right now, assuming no night zero actions, which makes a certain amount of sense for day one when you have next to no info
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2021, 10:23:09 am »

We should not exile mathdude today. We should not exile mathdude today. We should not exile mathdude today.

Agree
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2021, 10:40:59 am »

Vote: Pasta

That seemed out of the blue... I mean I get that I may get votes because I'm making a case against the president, sure, but I would've assumed to have seem "more of a case" in your last post then.

To answer your question to me - I just think scum picking scum for VP seems overly suspicious. Whereas picking a civilian would allow a scum pres to ingratiate themselves with the VP.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2021, 10:44:00 am »

What strikes me about math's pick is that it likely has no effect right now, assuming no night zero actions, which makes a certain amount of sense for day one when you have next to no info

Independent of night zero actions, it would have no immediate effect since it's "the following day". So this is an interesting point - i.e. if the other options had been like Civilian jurisdiction and Presidential pardon.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2021, 11:13:16 am »

But it is very pro-scum. Tomorrow, anyone who took an action will know they are hated. If they get a wagon on them, they may need to reveal that they took an action to avoid being accidentally exiled. It's mitigated somewhat by this being RMM, but it will help scum in hunting the active PRs. Or by inhibiting town actions tonight.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2021, 11:28:00 am »

But it is very pro-scum. Tomorrow, anyone who took an action will know they are hated. If they get a wagon on them, they may need to reveal that they took an action to avoid being accidentally exiled. It's mitigated somewhat by this being RMM, but it will help scum in hunting the active PRs. Or by inhibiting town actions tonight.

Why does scum wamt to hunt active PRs?

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2021, 12:49:12 pm »

Town PR's tend to be bad for scum. Is that in debate?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2021, 01:16:07 pm »

Town PR's tend to be bad for scum. Is that in debate?

I'm not seeing the correlation between taking Actions at night and being a PR scum want to prioritize.

We should not exile mathdude today. We should not exile mathdude today. We should not exile mathdude today.

We should not exile mathdude today.

Vote: Pasta

I had already given Swowl like 2 day passes, I guess he gets the third one. Not only do I think this vote is townie, I also agree with it, scola's on my radar now.

I am not good enough at math to know what every potential draw is, but I would rank it 6th out of 6.  Based on that, I think it never gets chosen.

I can definitely see it be the worst for town, and I would've recommended against it knowing the other 2 options.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2021, 02:00:03 pm »

Independent of night zero actions, it would have no immediate effect since it's "the following day". So this is an interesting point - i.e. if the other options had been like Civilian jurisdiction and Presidential pardon.

I misunderstood it and thought it took effect today. Well, that changes things. I still don't want to exile math, though
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2021, 02:21:38 pm »

I misunderstood it and thought it took effect today. Well, that changes things. I still don't want to exile math, though

Who do you think is scummy, then?

Re: math; I am fairly ambivalent - on the one hand, a lot of the things he has done / said feel suspicious enough to me and I am wary of leaving a scum president in power; on the other hand, they add up in a way that makes me have doubt that scum!dude would play it that way. And his posts, while convenient, have an air of sincerity.

Trouble is, no one else seems especially scummy to me. Maybe that's just a D1 thing, though. I'm not sure if I've said this yet this game, but I hate D1s!

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2021, 02:22:27 pm »

To all those who are saying we should not exile mathdude, is it just because he's president? or are there other reasons?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2021, 02:26:27 pm »

To all those who are saying we should not exile mathdude, is it just because he's president? or are there other reasons?

One of my reasons... This is his second game. He was exiled day one of his first game and flipped town (that game is ongoing so I won’t say anything beyond that). I find that kind of welcome not awesome.

I also don’t think we are ever going to have any sense of what is scummy or not for him if we don’t actually get to see him play. I don’t think he has done anything scummy, but that is especially true if we remember that we have NO IDEA of how he behaves as scum.

I am much, mouth more wary of those who think they know his well enough to vote for him...
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2021, 04:01:32 pm »

Vote Count 1.4

ashersky (2): mathdude, Robz888
Robz888 (1): EFHW
MiX (1): ashersky
Robz888 (1): MiX
mathdude (1): scolapasta
scolapasta (2): A Drowned Kernel, Swowl
A Drowned Kernel (1): Awaclus

Not Voting (5): Jack Rudd, SpaceAnemone, WestCoastDidds, LaLight, Dylan32

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to exile. Day 1 ends March 23, 2021, 03:30:00 am.

Robz has split personality disorder in this VC :P
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2021, 04:23:27 pm »

other than the obv here - the scenario listed by EFHW is less of a "hunt" and more of a "info gain". Which, in a set up like this, is probably more valuable for skum.
They can close their eyes and shoot this game and will likely hit a PR (or GTD to hit a PR whichever it is), so knowing who has active PRs is not valuable that much (agreeing with you)... however, knowing exactly what said Active PR can do in specificity, that would be quite valuable.

real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2021, 04:25:29 pm »

@ mix - just to clarify, you are aware like 100% of what the other potential orders were? or you are aware like, Mathdude told you what choice they had?
real good. That’s how

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2021, 04:27:50 pm »

@ mix - just to clarify, you are aware like 100% of what the other potential orders were? or you are aware like, Mathdude told you what choice they had?

He told me.

other than the obv here - the scenario listed by EFHW is less of a "hunt" and more of a "info gain". Which, in a set up like this, is probably more valuable for skum.
They can close their eyes and shoot this game and will likely hit a PR (or GTD to hit a PR whichever it is), so knowing who has active PRs is not valuable that much (agreeing with you)... however, knowing exactly what said Active PR can do in specificity, that would be quite valuable.

Keyword being what: if you just say how many "actions" you took last night or something, scum can't really use that to their advantage.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2021, 04:29:15 pm »

I'm here.  Very bad at playing two games at once. Currently townreading ADK and scola.

Reasons are helpful!  I have almost no read on ADK, since I don't feel they've said much of substance yet (compared to some of the more active players).  And I'm going to guess you see me as scummy too, since that's probably why you're "townreading scola" - you agree with what they are saying?  And by the opposite token, scola is currently on my watch list because I know I'm town and scola (along with ash) are on the "vote mathdude" train.  I'm not saying that makes them scummy... I admit they have some valid points (from a Town perspective), and I've been trying to address them (and I'll address more of them below).  But from my perspective, I know they're wrong to vote for me, so that puts them as either uninformed Town, or else scum who wants me gone.

And in reality, if MiX is scum, it would make sense for scum to want me gone so they can gain power of the presidency.  I'm not saying I think MiX is scum at this point... I just don't know yet.

I am not good enough at math to know what every potential draw is, but I would rank it 6th out of 6.  Based on that, I think it never gets chosen.

Go back to my not realizing that orders go right back into the deck.  As I explained earlier, I thought the description of the Executive Order Cards was that if I used it day-1, it wouldn't be back again until day 5 or 6.  At that point, knowing that I likely wouldn't have any decent reads on anyone today, wouldn't it make sense to pick the worst one?  That way on days 2, 3, and 4, the "good" cards would be available for use, when I would hopefully have better reads on people?

The "night zero" has been addressed by others (it affects "the following day").  But just copying to note the agreeance with what I was trying to say above - day one, I have next to no info.

--snip--
I just think scum picking scum for VP seems overly suspicious. Whereas picking a civilian would allow a scum pres to ingratiate themselves with the VP.

Picking a Civilian/Town player is obviously the goal.  I have no idea who is what at the moment (nor do I have any powers that help me with that, unfortunately!).  So it was a pure shot in the dark.  But I have explained my pick earlier, so I won't get into it again here.

Funny thing... those actually were the other choices.  At first, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to disclose what my choices were or not.  And going forward, if I'm still president, I likely won't disclose everything (only what I think is beneficial to Town... and maybe also to Civilians if that distinction seems to help me and/or Town).  But given what I've said so far about my understanding of this game and this role, I think it makes sense to admit these were the 3 choices... these two plus the Curfew I actually chose.

Again, go back to the fact that I wanted to keep the "good ones" to be useable on days 2, 3, and 4.  But Presidential Pardon didn't make sense for me today... I likely won't have any read good enough to "unexile" someone who got voted out, but that I think is Town today.  Hopefully in the future this may be an option.

And Civilian Jurisdiction... in hindsight, this may have been a better option, allowing me to get a better idea of who is likely Civilian, for picking a future VP.  As I chose not to use this one, I focused more on the first part of it - that a vote will go through even without a majority.  And expecting to get a majority on day-1 (based on the 1 other game I've seen), I didn't think it was necessary to use up this card (again, my misinterpretation) on day 1.  Not knowing if or how many Vig-type powers are in play (being RMM, I expect there might be), I know day votes are one of the main opportunities to get rid or scum.  So if there is a day stalling in the future, I wanted to be able to use this card in the future to force an exile (and one with civilian influence).

But knowing what I do now about that deck, I likely should have chosen Civilian Jurisdiction.

I would actually go the other way.  I have no idea what to expect with this setup.  But if I had to guess about power roles, how many scum there are, etc... I would guess similar number of scum to a normal game (likely around 3), but to give everyone extra powers/roles, adding extra town powers to most/all players likely means scum needs that many more powers to keep balance.  It's quite possible scum have more night actions per person than Town has, on average.  And that would make them much more vulnerable tomorrow than Town.  Until determined otherwise, I'd guess most Town have about 1 Action they can take at night, where as some scum I'd expect to have 2 (or more?)... again, these are absolutely shots in the dark about setup, having never played RMM here before.  This is based on past experience (not verifiable), and if I were setting up such a game (I have hosted many games in the past, in person and on forums).

Imagine tomorrow where we now know night Actions can put you in danger... where each Town has 1 possible action, and each scum has 2.  Town will probably still use theirs since it's expected (given the Curfew) that there is this danger.  Scum will have to seriously consider using their powers to their maximum ability, since they will either have to hope to not be an exile target tomorrow, or they will have to claim using 2+ night actions to keep protected.

I could be completely wrong about some or all of this.  This is just where my thoughts have been at.

I wish I was online when this was posted.  My immediate response would have been "can't tell if trolling or if seriously asking the question".  Of course, that doesn't have as much effect now that people have responded.

But seriously, of course scum wants to hunt active Town PRs.  But don't we expect almost every Town now to be some sort of PR in RMM games?

One of my reasons... This is his second game. He was exiled day one of his first game and flipped town (that game is ongoing so I won’t say anything beyond that). I find that kind of welcome not awesome.

I also don’t think we are ever going to have any sense of what is scummy or not for him if we don’t actually get to see him play. I don’t think he has done anything scummy, but that is especially true if we remember that we have NO IDEA of how he behaves as scum.

I am much, mouth more wary of those who think they know his well enough to vote for him...

I said this in my other/first/only game here (don't worry, not going to talk about it at all... it's still ongoing), and I'll say it again...

I don't want to rely on "I'm new here" to stay alive.  If I'm scummy, I deserve to be voted out.  But I think what I've posted should make it clear that I have done everything I have done with the best of intentions.  I won't take it personally, and I won't leave just from being voted out.  I'll be back for more games.

But at the same time... if I am voted out, it will only strengthen my case of "this is who I am, this is how I play... this is my meta".  I'm Town here.  I'm also Civilian (sort of required by being president!)  So if I flip today... tonight... tomorrow... whenever, you will see that.

I appreciate the sentiment.  And yes, seeing me play more now will only help you in future games against me (and likely with me too).  But let's play this game.

So I have found no reason to take my vote off ash yet.  Still the most scummy to me.

I told MiX.

But now I've told you all.

He told me.

Exactly.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2021, 04:32:42 pm »

EBWOP... that last bit of my post really messed up.  This is what it was supposed to look like:

--snip--
So I have found no reason to take my vote off ash yet.  Still the most scummy to me.

I told MiX.

But now I've told you all.

He told me.

Exactly.
he/him

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2021, 04:33:51 pm »

He told me.

Keyword being what: if you just say how many "actions" you took last night or something, scum can't really use that to their advantage.

1. interesting
2. ok yeah that is a fair point.
real good. That’s how

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2021, 04:48:53 pm »

Vote: math for making a decision that he could've consulted with me first before doing it that I disagree with...twice. If you don't want my help, then I don't want you alive. I can just be the president if the QT's not useful for you.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2021, 04:50:58 pm »

Vote: Robz, probably should've said that privately. Still.

To be fair to math I was incredibly tempted to also say that scola guessed the other 2 orders perfectly.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2021, 05:45:42 pm »

Vote: math for making a decision that he could've consulted with me first before doing it that I disagree with...twice. If you don't want my help, then I don't want you alive. I can just be the president if the QT's not useful for you.

This sounds evil!

Vote: MiX
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2021, 06:46:14 pm »

So if there is a day stalling in the future, I wanted to be able to use this card in the future to force an exile (and one with civilian influence).

Are you aware that probably the majority the "good" characters in the show are military, rather than civilian? Of the civilian ones I can think of in the board game, other than the president herself (who's sympathetic on the whole), I can basically only think of a shady ex-con politician, a very manipulative political aide who murders someone for personal reasons, a weird lawyer, and the wife of one of the senior military officers on BSG, who was a bad influence on him and ultimately fed info to the cylons. I'd think that a lot of these people could have personal goals that aren't necessarily great for the rest of town.

Huh, I assume giving out spoilers for the show isn't something I need to try too hard to avoid, right?
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2021, 06:51:08 pm »

Vote: MiX for taking it upon himself to dictate to the president.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that consulting is good, but I definitely don't like that you hint, even in jest, that exiling the president to stage a coup is a proportionate response to a newish player making mistakes his own way.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2021, 07:00:41 pm »

Vote: MiX for taking it upon himself to dictate to the president.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that consulting is good, but I definitely don't like that you hint, even in jest, that exiling the president to stage a coup is a proportionate response to a newish player making mistakes his own way.

Awesome. Talk to me when you find it scummy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76  All

Page created in 2.834 seconds with 20 queries.