Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76  All

Author Topic: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Game concluded)  (Read 200926 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2021, 12:52:53 am »

Season 1 Rules

General gameplay

The game alternates between Day phase and Night phase. The Day phase lasts 7 days, the Night phase lasts 48 hours. Any Night actions need to be submitted at least 36 hours after Night start.

The Day phase ends either when the 7 days have passed, or when an exile has been reached. If there was no exile prior to the deadline, then the game will move the Night without exile. An exile is reached when a majority of living players votes for the same player. Whenever a new phase begins, all players should carefully check the game thread as well as any QT they have access to before posting anywhere.

When a player leaves the game through exile or killing action, their flavor name and alignment will be revealed. Additionally, the types of powers they possess at the time of death are revealed. You can see these in italics in your powers.

Game-specific classifications

All players are either human or Cylon. By default, players are unaware of their species. This is not the same as alignment.

Additionally, all players are classified as either civilian or military. Players are aware of their own status at all times. This is also not the same as alignment.

In general, these classification are inspired by the flavor of the series, though liberties have been taken. Flavor knowledge is not required to play, but may enhance the experience.

Town is flavored as human-aligned this game. The town win condition is
You win when all threats to the human population have been eliminated, or nothing can stop that from happening. You earn 5 points from winning.

The Presidency

There are two special distributable roles in the game: the President and Vice President. They have the following role powers.

President

Executive order. At the start of each Day, draw three cards from the Executive Order deck. You must pick one of them to enact within the first 72 hours of the Day. If you miss this deadline, a random order will be enacted. Orders are executed instantaneously when you submit the order. If the Day ends before you submit an order, there will be no order executed that Day.

Pick Vice President. When you obtain this role, and every even Night after it, you have 36 hours to select another player. That player will receive the role of Vice President.

Colonial One. You have a QT with your Vice President, open at all times.

Vice President.

Next in line. When the President is removed from the game, you obtain their power.

Colonial One. You have a QT with the President, open at all times.

It is public knowledge who holds the office of President and Vice President. If at any time, both roles are unassigned, trigger a turning point. The Presidency is a civilian office. If at any time, a member of the military obtains the role of President, they have a choice to let go of all their role powers. If they do not, trigger a turning point.

The contents of the Executive Order deck are public knowledge. At game start, they are as follows:
Civilian jurisdiction
Today, an exile will occur even if the game ends without a majority on a player. At the end of this day, the exile is the player with the most civilian votes rather than the player with the most votes.
Curfew
The following Day, all players take one vote fewer to exile for each Action they took the previous Night.
Military police force
Any military player gains the power: "You may target one other player tonight, to learn which players they targeted that night." tonight only. Military players' actions cannot be detected tonight.
Presidential pardon
At the end of the Day, the President may choose to pardon the exiled player. If they do, the exiled player does not flip and is not sent to the brig. They have 12 hours to make the decision, during which the thread remains open.
Isolate Colonial One
Any action targeting the President tonight will fail.
Prioritize
Choose either military or civilians. The chosen group's actions cannot be blocked or redirected tonight, and break through one layer of protection. Players from the other group may only perform one action tonight.

Whenever you would draw from the Executive Order deck and there are less than 3 cards left, shuffle all cards into the deck.

Turning Points

There are some events the trigger turning points which are publicly known. They are as follows:
  • Day 2 begins
  • the roles of both President and Vice President are unassigned
  • a member of the military becomes President and refuses to give up their role powers
  • the President or Vice President are sent to the brig
  • the President is incapacitated at Night
  • the game ends Night 5 or earlier
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Day 1)
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2021, 12:54:44 am »

Whoops! That was an accidental repost of the whole rules - sorry about that! I was using that to snag the quote for my previous post and accidentally clicked "Post".

@faust, feel free to delete that one, if you'd like. :)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2021, 01:06:15 am »

I'm fairly sure I know what character Lalight is. And so his non voting or "votability" should be temporary... I suspect he'll join us on Day 2 or 3.

OK, so my facepalm quoting of the entire rules had a serendipitous result - I reread all the turning points at the end, and "Day 2 begins" is one of them. So I'm more convinces that's when Lalight will join us.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2021, 01:53:28 am »

Also, does anyone understand this from the rules:

All players are either human or Cylon. By default, players are unaware of their species. This is not the same as alignment.

Does being Human-aligned not imply being Human then?

It does explicitly state in the set up that being human is *not* the same as alignment. Though I did initially share your confusion before going back and checking.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2021, 02:00:41 am »

It does explicitly state in the set up that being human is *not* the same as alignment. Though I did initially share your confusion before going back and checking.

Right, when I first had read that, I had understood it. But had though / assumed alignment would be completely different "theme" then. So it's hurting my brain a little.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2021, 02:02:58 am »

who do you think LL's char is?
real good. That’s how

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2021, 02:06:26 am »

So I will just say what I was talking about earlier, because why not?

Along with human/cylon, we also have civilian/military as aspects of our game selves that are completely separate from alignment (per the setup post).  We also have flavor names.

Imagine getting a pm that says "You are a hobbit.  Your flavor name is Gandalf." in a Hobbit game.

That's the type of situation I need help reconciling.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2021, 02:14:30 am »

Along with human/cylon, we also have civilian/military as aspects of our game selves that are completely separate from alignment (per the setup post).  We also have flavor names.

Imagine getting a pm that says "You are a hobbit.  Your flavor name is Gandalf." in a Hobbit game.

Yeah I have been talking that point over with myself a little bit actually.
Not sure what to make of it.
real good. That’s how

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2021, 03:21:49 am »

Vote Count 1.2

Dylan32 (2): A Drowned Kernel, MiX
ashersky (1): mathdude
Robz888 (1): EFHW

Not Voting (10): Jack Rudd, SpaceAnemone, WestCoastDidds, scolapasta, LaLight, Dylan32, Swowl, Robz888, ashersky, Awaclus

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to exile. Day 1 ends March 23, 2021, 03:30:00 am.

Was my early vote on LL supposed to be redirected to a person or have no effect?
No comment.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:09:56 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2021, 03:23:01 am »

MiX has been selected as Vice President!

The following Executive Order has been signed:
Curfew
The following Day, all players take one vote fewer to exile for each Action they took the previous Night.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2021, 03:33:11 am »

why mix math?
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2021, 03:35:35 am »

also, not for sure, but I think we can assume it is "your vote stays where it was" if you vote for LL.
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2021, 03:38:18 am »

also also @ Math - why pick curfew? what were your other options?
real good. That’s how

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2021, 04:06:36 am »

As much as I agree to be Vice President (in fact, that was what I was going to suggest with regards to the president), I would've loved to have been briefed on what executive orders math was allowed to pick between in the QT...that's kinda why that QT exists in the first place. But I won't complain much. The reasons I wanted to be Vice President are now confidential, I guess.

Vote Count 1.2

Dylan32 (2): A Drowned Kernel, Dylan32
ashersky (1): mathdude
Robz888 (1): EFHW

Not Voting (10): Jack Rudd, SpaceAnemone, WestCoastDidds, scolapasta, LaLight, Dylan32, Swowl, Robz888, ashersky, Awaclus

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to exile. Day 1 ends March 23, 2021, 03:30:00 am.

Was my early vote on LL supposed to be redirected to a person or have no effect?
No comment.

You have Dylan voting for himself, instead of me voting for Dylan

I also know LL's character. I don't think it's pro-town to say it, although everyone should know it if they know the flavor, although admittedly it's not easy to find that information.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2021, 04:10:24 am »

You have Dylan voting for himself, instead of me voting for Dylan
Thanks; it's fixed now.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2021, 04:13:44 am »

It's most likely going to be obvious if you're a civilian/military knowing your character, and characters are not separate from alignment in the first game of legacy. That doesn't mean civilian/military aren't separate from alignment.

Does that clarify anything at all?

also, not for sure, but I think we can assume it is "your vote stays where it was" if you vote for LL.

Yeah, we can talk about more interesting things now, like Dylan being the scummiest so far and you being town. Who would you vote for, if you could (to include LL)?

You can probably be a human and be cylon-aligned, and you can probably be a cylon and be human-aligned. The mere fact we don't know if we're human or cylon says that they're separate from alignment, although there's at least 1 cylon-aligned cylon, so being a cylon should be scummy.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2021, 06:47:26 am »

Who is this addressed to? And why do you think it's a good idea to discuss it?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2021, 06:51:12 am »

I'm fairly sure I know what character Lalight is.

Swowl's most likely talking to scola. If you don't know the flavor, it's possible that you can think knowing LL's character is mechanical, so that question is only natural.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2021, 06:56:44 am »

There's plenty of basis in the show for characters who are cylons but are on the side of the humans (it should also probably be emphasized for people who don't know the flavor that there are a number of characters who are cylons but aren't aware of the fact) and at least one character who is human but is on the side of the cylons
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2021, 06:57:26 am »

I'm fairly sure I know what character Lalight is.

Swowl's most likely talking to scola. If you don't know the flavor, it's possible that you can think knowing LL's character is mechanical, so that question is only natural.

I'm pretty familiar with the flavor, and 95% sure I know LL's character. I just don't see the benefit of putting it out there
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2021, 06:58:06 am »

why mix math?

MiX seems to know what's going on. With me not knowing flavour, I figured it could help me get started in this complex game. It really was a shot in the dark on the first day.

also also @ Math - why pick curfew? what were your other options?

I'll hold off on saying much about that until I know whether there are advantages or disadvantages to doing it. I will say I think other option(s) may be more useful later.
he/him

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2021, 07:00:33 am »

I also know LL's character. I don't think it's pro-town to say it, although everyone should know it if they know the flavor, although admittedly it's not easy to find that information.

The fact that you admit it's not easy to find the information, imply it's game-useful, and then refuse just to provide it when it's already obvious to those who know the show/game actually seems anti-town to me :-P Our alignments are independent of whether we have background knowledge, and I assume that more people are human-aligned than not, so you're probably disproportionately denying town possibly-useful info.

Anyway, to clarify for anyone not familiar with the source, there's a pilot character, Helo (Karl Agathon), who spends the beginning of the series stranded on earth, away from the rest of the human fleet. In the board game, Helo has to sit out the first round of the game, which maybe looks a bit like LL not being able to interact with the voting for now.

PPE 3: Apparently I disagree with people on whether to say! I just really don't like excluding anyone from the finer points of the game just because they're not familiar with the flavour, and I especially don't like it when it's framed as "go away and do lots of hard homework to learn it because I'm not going to tell".
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2021, 07:04:24 am »

It's more that I think it's a bad idea to reveal information about LL's role for no reason in case that information is of benefit to scum
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2021, 07:05:02 am »

The fact that you admit it's not easy to find the information, imply it's game-useful, and then refuse just to provide it when it's already obvious to those who know the show/game actually seems anti-town to me :-P Our alignments are independent of whether we have background knowledge, and I assume that more people are human-aligned than not, so you're probably disproportionately denying town possibly-useful info.

Anyway, to clarify for anyone not familiar with the source, there's a pilot character, Helo (Karl Agathon), who spends the beginning of the series stranded on earth, away from the rest of the human fleet. In the board game, Helo has to sit out the first round of the game, which maybe looks a bit like LL not being able to interact with the voting for now.

PPE 3: Apparently I disagree with people on whether to say! I just really don't like excluding anyone from the finer points of the game just because they're not familiar with the flavour, and I especially don't like it when it's framed as "go away and do lots of hard homework to learn it because I'm not going to tell".

It shouldn't be helpful for town to know LL's character, but it definitely is helpful for scum. Not that I disagree with saying who LL is, I'm just not making that decision myself, as any one person can do it.

That is also who I think LL is, especially having played the board game (and having recently looked at everything in it, research is fun). That is also most likely D2's turning point.

You should do homework anyway! I couldn't possibly say everything that is relevant, because I'm sure it would be helpful for everyone to know their character intimately (after all, you're going to be spending quite a while with them!), and this helpfulness is pro-town (and pro-themselves, but making sure everyone knows their character ends up being pro-town).

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2021, 08:07:22 am »

Normally I would agree with Space, but in this case, the question would have been hard to Google ("BG char who can't vote") so there was some benefit in not telling, in case all the scum don't know the flavor.  Not sure how likely that is.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.