Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Opening Silver/$3  (Read 3087 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
Opening Silver/$3
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:28:04 pm »

There's a great deal of boards where I'd rather open Silver/$3 instead of Silver/$4. When this happens, I am always sure to purchase the Silver first, whether I open $4 or $3. My thinking is that this gives less away about my strategy, so my opponent can't respond with his first buy (or his second buy if he went first). Does everyone do this? Or am I way overthinking it? Do you think there's an actual advantage to doing this? One could probably argue that buying a Silver also gives my opponent information just like buying a Masquerade does.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Opening Silver/$3
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »

theory explicitly mentions he buys chapel second, in hopes that his opponent might overlook it.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »

I would say yes, nearly everyone does this*. I think there's definitely an advantage to it (how could it not be?), but wether it's particularly signficant or not.. who knows.

* "This" being "buy the card which gives the least information", which, as you point out, is Silver most of the time, but not always.

Edit to above: Chapel is one of those things where you tend to buy Chapel first, because it's the "obvious" buy, and the second buy might be the less obvious. But clearly the general principle is at work there, at least.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:32:55 pm »

theory explicitly mentions he buys chapel second, in hopes that his opponent might overlook it.

Same, although everyone probably knows im doing it anyway by the way my eyes light up and I do a little Seal clap
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:16 pm »

This is one of the things that works a little better IRL as opposed to online. On iso, if you open $4/$3, your opponent will know that you bought silver with $4; either you use the +$ button and they see that you had $4, or you play your coppers one by one and the opponent can see that you're doing that. Whereas with physical cards, you just put down your three coppers and never let the other person see whether the remaining two are copper-estate or estate-estate.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »

This is one of the things that works a little better IRL as opposed to online. On iso, if you open $4/$3, your opponent will know that you bought silver with $4; either you use the +$ button and they see that you had $4, or you play your coppers one by one and the opponent can see that you're doing that. Whereas with physical cards, you just put down your three coppers and never let the other person see whether the remaining two are copper-estate or estate-estate.
Unless you always play things out one-by-one, which of course must be an advantage, albeit one nobody uses because it's so time-consuming.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:00:00 pm »

More often I buy a silver with the 4 coin hand and then realise I'd mixed up the opening hands, leaving me unable to buy the 4 cost card I needed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

Indeed. Inspired new thread in Isotropic Discussion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:37:34 pm »
+1

Unless you always play things out one-by-one, which of course must be an advantage, albeit one nobody uses because it's so time-consuming.

If anyone made a habit of spending the entire game clicking on treasuers one-by-one, that would definitely be a top contender for mention in the "decline of civility on isotropic" thread.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.