Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #102: Unspent  (Read 21402 times)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #102: Unspent
« on: January 20, 2021, 12:30:12 pm »
+9

Previous judgments I ran: Contest #23: Curses, Contest #35: No-Vanilla, Contest #69: Pseudo-Terminal

Weekly Design Contest #102: Unspent
Make a Kingdom card or WELP that cares about the +Actions, Buys, or Coins that you have.  Consider using the resource as a condition or a reference, or perhaps directly spending it in some unusual way.  Be wary of tracking issues with these invisible resources.

Current examples include but are not necessarily limited to: Basilica, Diadem, Pageant, Storyteller, and Wine Merchant.  Overpay effects count, which adds Doctor, Herald, Masterpiece, and Stonemason to the list.  Free "terminal" Events that can be bought multiple times like Delay are a unique way to "spend" your Buys.  Donald X. once talked about an old Diadem variant that was a terminal Action that jumped back up into your hand, which could definitely be counted as "caring about the +Actions you have."  I'll do my best not to discredit any entries.

All submissions:
Find Judgment here!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:02:35 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #102: Unspent
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 01:40:23 pm »
+5

Does this qualify? It's pretty simple, it can be a plain +3 actions, a village, a lab, or a Smithy.  It will never be super strong, but it is super flexible.

Edit: I changed it from being able to spend 3 actions to 4.  Now it feels like it actually cares about the previous actions you have.  Previously it might as well have said "choose one: +3 actions, +2 actions +1 card, +2 cards +1 action, or +3 cards"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:01:57 pm by Chappy7 »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 01:44:07 pm »

Does this qualify? It's pretty simple, it can be a plain +3 actions, a village, a lab, or a Smithy.  It will never be super strong, but it is super flexible.

How does the sequence of play work?  Does the player need to decide at once how many Actions they will spend, or can they spend an Action, draw a card, and then decide if they want to spend more Actions?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 01:46:57 pm »

How does the sequence of play work?  Does the player need to decide at once how many Actions they will spend, or can they spend an Action, draw a card, and then decide if they want to spend more Actions?

Based on how these kinds of effects normally work, you decide at once how many Actions to spend.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 01:54:39 pm »
+3

A Village that duplicates itself if you prove that you need more Villages. There are 15 copies in the pile.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:22:08 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 02:13:33 pm »

Spiv (Action, $4)

Gain a card costing up to $4.
You may use a Buy. If you do, play it.

A Workshop variant that lets you play gained cards immediately, at the cost of a Buy. Perhaps you have spare Buys, or perhaps you don't care if you're not able to buy anything later this turn.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 02:30:22 pm »
+1

Yes! There have definitely been times where I have ended up with lots of Buys and little money and wished there was some card/landscape/mechanism that would let me convert one to the other. (This probably says more about my ability than about the game's design, but still...)

Originally it was just an event (called Buying Power) that cost $0 and gave +$1, but I think that is too good a trade (or rather, it makes some cards like Market Square too good). This is how I tried to make a Buy worth approximately $0.5.

Here is the Event:

And the two-sided State it comes with:

BUYING POWER
Event
$0
If you do not already have it, take the State called Bull Market or Bear Market; whether or not you took it, flip it over.

BEAR MARKET
State (side 1)
Setup: In games using Buying Power, place one copy of this on the table with this side up.

BULL MARKET
State (side 2)
When you flip this over to this side, +$1.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 02:38:00 pm »
+2

And yes, that is a painting of actual bulls and bears in a literal market. You're welcome.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 03:48:34 pm »
+8

Souk • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may spend 3 Buys to gain a Gold.

Market Square variant.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 05:48:54 pm »

Spiv (Action, $4)

A Workshop variant that lets you play gained cards immediately, at the cost of a Buy. Perhaps you have spare Buys, or perhaps you don't care if you're not able to buy anything later this turn.
I just wanted to mention that with a +Buy token on this, you can drain the whole pile.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 06:22:45 pm »
+1

Spiv (Action, $4)

I just wanted to mention that with a +Buy token on this, you can drain the whole pile.

Theoretically on turn 2 (with Shelters, Way of the Pig, Seaway, a $5 / $2 opening, and hitting the 1 of 6 draw when you shuffle after you Pig your Necropolis). But even if you were to miss that draw or not have Way of the Pig and/or Shelters, you would still almost certainly get it on turn 3 or 4. So if one player hits the $5 / $2 split and Seaway is in play, the other players would at best have one or two chances to buy this before that player was able to empty the pile.

Could easily be fixed (if you think it is a problem) by adding "other than a Spiv" to first line à la Vampire. Would fit thematically as well, as a Spiv would likely not be taken in by the wiles of another Spiv.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:34:15 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 06:33:49 pm »

You don't need the "this turn" part. See Improve.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 06:57:26 pm »

I think it does. Scheme's 1st edition wording used "at the start of Clean-up this turn," and Improve's "that you would discard from play this turn" implies that it means this turn's Clean-up phase. Without "this turn," Merchant Quarter wouldn't be specifying that it means this turn's Clean-up phase.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 07:16:55 pm »

I think it does. Scheme's 1st edition wording used "at the start of Clean-up this turn," and Improve's "that you would discard from play this turn" implies that it means this turn's Clean-up phase. Without "this turn," Merchant Quarter wouldn't be specifying that it means this turn's Clean-up phase.
I'm pretty sure the "this turn" in Improve is specifying that the card is being discarded from play this turn, not that the effect happens this turn, since it is already implied that the effect happens this turn.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:44:12 pm by BBobb »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 07:22:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure the "this turn" in improve is specifying that the card is being discarded from play this turn, not that the effect happens this turn, since it is already implied that the effect happens this turn.

Removed the "this turn" from Merchant Quarter.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 10:45:03 pm »
+5

Shipping Village - $3
Action
+1 Card
+3 Buys

Ignore any further +Buys you get this turn.
-
While this is in play, you may spend 1 Buy for +1 Action.

A Snowy Village for Buys that allows you to use Buys as Actions? Is this even useful? I think it could be good in some Kingdoms with cantrip +Buys and terminal draws, but I really am not sure. The price and number of Buys it provides is up for adjustment as needed. I am more than happy for any feedback offered.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 12:56:48 am »
+2

Con Artist
Action-Attack
+
You may spend a buy. If you do, each other player reveals the top two cards of their deck, trashes a revealed Treasure other than Copper, and discards the rest. If a treasure was trashed by this, +  

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 01:20:05 am »
+4

My entry:
Taxidermy
$3 - Project
Once per turn: You may spend an Action for +1 Card.

Spiv (Action, $4)

In most kingdoms, this will be fine. But I think this is going to be really strong whenever there's spammable +buy in the kingdom. It might be better balanced if you spent a buy to put the gained card in your hand.
EDIT: Then again, compared to the recent power gainers Inventor and Groom, it's probably good how it is even with spammable +buy.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:24:40 am by LibraryAdventurer »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 02:31:08 am »
+11

Spyglass - $5
Treasure/Duration

Worth $2
If you have no Actions left, at the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 04:00:42 am »
+1

Workhouse - Action, $2 cost.
+ $2
You may take Exhausted. If you do, +1 Coffers.
-
When you gain this, play any number of Treasures from your hand, and spend any amount of Coffers for + $1 each. Then pay any amount of $; +1 Villager per $1 paid.
Exhausted - State
When you next have unused Actions during your Action phase (Actions, not Action cards), immediately return this and -1 Action.
I'm trying a new, more complicated version of a card in my fan expansion Revolution. On play, you can spend an unused Action for 1 Coffers; the whole thing with Exhausted lets you do this even when there are no other sources of +Actions, you carry the spent Action over to next turn.
The on gain bit is simply overpay that works at the Action phase for when you Workshop it, worth the complication I hope since you may need Actions now. Spending any number of $ can make tracking issues, as opposed to Storyteller's pay all $, which might be undesirable.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:43:15 am by Aquila »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 05:01:56 am »
+1

Spiv (Action, $4)

Theoretically on turn 2 (with Shelters, Way of the Pig, Seaway, a $5 / $2 opening, and hitting the 1 of 6 draw when you shuffle after you Pig your Necropolis). But even if you were to miss that draw or not have Way of the Pig and/or Shelters, you would still almost certainly get it on turn 3 or 4. So if one player hits the $5 / $2 split and Seaway is in play, the other players would at best have one or two chances to buy this before that player was able to empty the pile.

Could easily be fixed (if you think it is a problem) by adding "other than a Spiv" to first line à la Vampire. Would fit thematically as well, as a Spiv would likely not be taken in by the wiles of another Spiv.

Fair point, I don't want the pile to be drained immediately in some situations. Will change it to:

Spiv (Action, $4)

Gain a card other than Spiv costing up to $4.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 05:03:52 am »

Mechanics aside, I don't think 'use' is a good word. How about 'spend'?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:32 am »
+2

This is a messy and controversial one.

The Baker effect is neat but it take some effort to build up. Potentially explosive if the board has megaturn potential, otherwise saving 8 Coffers to get DoubleBakers is likely wrong.

I first played this with an unlimited conversion of Coins into Coffers. That was totally crazy. The current version might be too weak (it is basically a stackable Pageant) but "2 for 2" or "X for X -1" doesn't feel elegant.

The overpay effect was (as intended) weak during playtesting. Getting a $5 is usually superior to getting a Coffers and a Tomb Robber.
The worst potential abuse is generating 3 Coffers during the endgame when you hit $7 and then buy the Province next turn. Well, you could have also bought a Duchy in each turn for the same VPs.

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 11:41:24 am »
+3

Updated for readability:

Crooked Quarter - $6
Action

+2 Cards, +2 Actions, +$2

If your hand size is even, discard a card.
If your remaining Actions are even, -1 Action
If your $ is even, -$1

Unassisted: the first is 1/2 Forum + Peddler, and the following are 1/2 Forum + 2Peddler. With hand-size manipulation and +Actions this can be made to give extra actions and cards, but corrects itself in those respects after each play.
Keeping track of action & coin parity isn't too bad either, as after each of these you'll always have odd everything (ie buffed for coins only), so you only need look back as far as your previous one.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:32:01 pm by Mahowrath »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 11:49:19 am »
+2

Crooked Quarter - $6
Action

+2 Cards, +2 Actions, +$2

If your hand size is even, discard a card.
If your remaining Actions are even, lose one
If your $ is even, lose one

Unassisted: the first is 1/2 Forum + Peddler, and the following are 1/2 Forum + 2Peddler. With hand-size manipulation and +Actions this can be made to give extra actions and cards, but corrects itself in those respects after each play.
I think there's precedent for doing -1 Action / -$1, which is probably cleaner to read than "lose one"; for sure precedent on Poor House for "-$1"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:00:03 pm by spineflu »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.