Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #102: Unspent  (Read 21412 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Re: Weekly Design Contest #102: Unspent
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:56 pm »
+5

(And it is easier for me when I will inevitably go back and read all of the Weekly Design Contest Entries for the 4th time).
Wait. What? It's easier, when you go back and look at all the contests, to click on 102 threads separately? We've gotta get you a new computer -- yours ain't doin' it right.
i mean, how are you doing it? opening all 300 pages in one thread or something?
We can have a reasonable, fair disagreement as to which is format is more convenient overall -- there are advantages and disadvantages to each. But what you wrote above, regarding specifically "when I will inevitably go back and read all of the Weekly Design Contest" (which was the subject), makes no sense. No matter how you open them, if you want to look through all past contests, the clicks are increased, and the convenience decreased, by separate threads. If you disagree, please explain your precise math.

Back to the general topic, my only concern is that we lose casual users, and casual users are how the thread grows. I understand that I am in the minority and will drop the subject.

It's easier to find a particular contest than to search into a big thread that barely loads on mobile because of all of the pictures in it anyway. So yeah, there's a lot to gain here in term of convenience. Not only that, but all Weekly Contest threads can be regrouped in this subforum, once again, making it easier to find them.

As for losing users to this contest, I don't think there's cause for concern. Contest #101 had 19 entries and contest #102 had 22. These numbers are well within the norm of submissions when compared to the 100 other contests. And these last 2 contests have been particularly hard too. I, myself, have not participated in both and I'm normally active here. I didn't participate, not because it's less convenient with this updated format, but because I found these 2 contests difficult to create something for. Maybe other users felt like me too. Anyway, all of that to say, let's not be too hasty to jump to conclusions. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:16:35 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2021, 04:20:28 pm »
+5

As someone who was a casual user not too long ago, I much prefer the current format.  I'm not a fan of bloated threads in general, and I have never gone through all of the old Weekly Design Contest thread because it's intimidatingly long.

If it were broken out into separate threads, I would have read through the ones where I found the theme interesting, but it's not practical to do that with the old one.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2021, 10:29:34 pm »
+4

Another thing that makes it easier with separate threads is that you can just look at the last page of each thread to see all the cards in the judging post.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2021, 01:12:56 am »
+2

Another thing that makes it easier with separate threads is that you can just look at the last page of each thread to see all the cards in the judging post.

I do prefer the single monolithic thread, however, this is an excellent argument for separating contests into their own threads.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2021, 02:29:24 am »
+2

Except that this discussion ruined that :P
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2021, 03:53:59 am »
+1

oops.

(It'll work for most of the threads anyway...)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2021, 10:57:11 am »
+1

oops.

Well, that benefit is in direct opposition to the benefit of "continued discussion of cards after content ends".

So we can have one or the other, but not both. :)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2021, 11:09:47 am »
+1

oops.

Well, that benefit is in direct opposition to the benefit of "continued discussion of cards after content ends".

So we can have one or the other, but not both. :)

I think we still get both. With multiple threads, start on the last page and hit prev once or twice to get the results. With monolithic thread, even if you find a contest start, you have to hit next each time to get to final results. And there’s room to continue discussing cards.

I’ve been convinced that multi thread is the way to now actually.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2021, 10:34:12 pm »
+6

Except that this discussion ruined that :P

Both of your avatars have never been more fitting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.