Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tournament Fail  (Read 1112 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Tournament Fail
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »

This seemed like a pretty straightforward tournament game. I don't have tons of experience with tournament but I think I've played enough times to get the basic idea: money and a tournament or two early with the goal of getting at least a single province asap. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, I got the first tournaments, first gold, and first province. Then everything fell apart. Not only did my provinces not once appear in the same hand as my three tournaments, but my opponent had one nearly every time I played tournament. In the last shuffle, I drew all three of my provinces with two coppers and knew I was just done. Did I make a fatal error somewhere or just get terrible, terrible shuffle luck?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/25/game-20120325-181149-b47f8a68.html
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Fail
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:29:42 pm »
+2

very glad you posted this, it should be noted that his strategy was actualy pretty strong and i think he had good luck with it too. If you pay attention to the log it appears that he is using mandarin to return his provinces back to his deck and then once he has a few provinces and mandarins(helping the tournaments to pair with provs) he buys tournaments and has a good chance of negating yours with his provinces
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Fail
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:42 am »

Without some way to increase the odds of drawing Tournament + Province together, a purely Tournament-based strategy falls in the same luck-driven category as a pure Treasure Map-based strategy.  Where Tournament excels is if you have some way to shift those odds in your favor.  Trashing, sifting, and massive card draw are the most common ways, but there are other options (Hunting Party, e.g.), and it looks like Mandarin served that purpose here - sort of "reverse sifting."   
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.