Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - RMM series  (Read 4127 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Battlestar Galactica Legacy - RMM series
« on: December 16, 2020, 11:01:49 am »

Dear friends,

I have been working on making a 4-part series of RMM games with Battlestar Galactica flavor. The first of those games will be ready to go soon. There is, of course a lot of stuff going on, and I still have some things to work out, but I wanted to see if people would be interested in this experience.

I think we could start the first game some time close to the end of January. It will fit 14 players. There will be legacy elements, and if possible I would try to keep more or less the same group of players for all 4 games. of course, life happens and it will definitely be necessary for people to replace in and out at some points.

I want to collect some feedback on the Legacy system so that can be as solid as possible once we start with the actual game. Of course, I cannot share too much, but you can find a set of rules regarding the legacy elements below:

Legacy rules

Scoring.
Players get points in each consecutive game. Winning a game awards 5 points as town. Other factions' benefits may differ. Another way to score points are character arcs, see below. The player(s) with the highest score when the game ends will be considered the overall winner(s). Scores are generally secret.

Turning points.
Certain powers, or game states, trigger turning points. If an individual player has a power that triggers a turning point, they will know. Turning points based on game states are public knowledge. In general, it will not be clear what effects a given turning point has until it is reached.

Character arcs.
Each charcter has a unique character arc, which is a goal they want to achieve for additional points. To prevent players playing against their win condition in any given game, these will usually only be obtainable when the player won a game. Character arc success is usually checked at the end of the game. If successful, the character may become unplayable or get a new arc. Completing a character arc counts as a turning point.

Flavor, death and exile.
Since the idea is to play the same character over multiple games, elimination from the game will not usually be flavored as dying. Instead, exiled players are sent to the brig and player that are killed by other means are incapacitated. It may be possible by certain abilities to permanently remove characters from the campaign.

Character persistence.
Every player may keep the character that they played from one game to the next, unless they have been eliminated from the game. Role and alignment will change from one game to the next, the character arc remains intact. Alternatively, they may choose another character, which will be chosen from the pool of available characters. A player may receive a character that has previously been played by someone else this way.

Game end.
The winning players may select one permanent rule change to affect future games. Additionally, individual players may be able to make choices for their characters. The President may execute one character that was sent to the brig. That character will die and be removed from the campaign. Doing so triggers a turning point. Night actions are not revealed until the campaign ends.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:35:24 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - RMM series
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 11:23:11 am »

Is alignment completely independent from characters?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:46:40 am »

Is alignment completely independent from characters?
No. There will be fakeclaims for the firs game. From that point onward, alignment will be more or less independent of the character, but what a character did in past games may have some impact on their alignment.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 01:37:25 pm »

So say we all.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 01:41:22 pm »

Ooh! Colour me very interested, since I just finished a re-watch of BSG a few weeks ago :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 02:34:05 pm »

Definitely in for the long haul!
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 02:51:41 pm »

Wait, is this where we say we're in? Cause I'm definitely in.

I don't see any inherent problems with those "rules", but just eyeballing it, maybe the "default" points should be 5? Feels like giving yourself more room to be flexible is good, but I'm not sure if that ends up helping or not.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 04:02:21 pm »

I'm game. I was thinking of rerunning Lovers Mafia in February for Valentine's Day. Should I move it earlier? How set is your time frame?

Also, I don't know the flavor. Is it worth binge watching?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 05:20:48 pm »

I've taken a few games off, but this would definitely bring me back for a run.

So say we all!
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 06:11:17 pm »

count me in for sure
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 07:05:21 pm »

I'd be totally in for this
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:24:07 am »

Also, I don't know the flavor. Is it worth binge watching?

It's a bit darker than Star Trek or Babylon 5, and takes itself mostly entirely seriously, so if that's your thing then I'd recommend it. I feel like it hasn't aged at all badly for what it is, though I'm only talking about the reimagined series, so it's still sort of recent... I haven't even tried the original, because I don't usually find pre-90s sci-fi to be worth the effort.

Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 08:34:54 am »

Wait, is this where we say we're in? Cause I'm definitely in.

I don't see any inherent problems with those "rules", but just eyeballing it, maybe the "default" points should be 5? Feels like giving yourself more room to be flexible is good, but I'm not sure if that ends up helping or not.
I'll reserve a spot for anyone who expresses interest in this thread.

Having 5 points might be better, you're right.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 07:36:18 pm »

I'll officially say I'm interested
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 09:14:01 am »

I am kind of curious about how people feel about the campaign not being fully designed yet when the first game starts. I'm not keen on having a plan for all eventualities from the get-go, since that sounds like an incredible amount of work, but I also understand if people want something that feels like a well-rounded experience.

The first game is almost ready to go and I at least want an outline of what the upcoming game will look like depending on the choices before we start, but I'd be happy to hear people's opinions on this.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 10:04:54 am »

I don't think that's too much of a problem as long as each game is designed as soon as it starts
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 11:28:27 am »

I am kind of curious about how people feel about the campaign not being fully designed yet when the first game starts. I'm not keen on having a plan for all eventualities from the get-go, since that sounds like an incredible amount of work, but I also understand if people want something that feels like a well-rounded experience.

The first game is almost ready to go and I at least want an outline of what the upcoming game will look like depending on the choices before we start, but I'd be happy to hear people's opinions on this.

I think there are also some advantages to having some fluidity and flexibility available to you as it progresses. Really, everyone signing up for the long haul is trusting you to build something awesome based on previous experiences of awesomeness (I was the Station!) and that holds true regardless of if you’re designing everything now or running the first one as you design the second.

Whatever you decide, I appreciate your effort. xoxo
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 12:20:55 pm »

imo it's even better of the plan isn't rounded up, because it will be easier for you to adjust in case of any complications. So I say go for it
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 02:27:07 pm »

/in
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 06:05:29 pm »

dude... epic idea. totally /in
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 06:43:39 pm »

I think the rule sets seem fairly straightforward (or like not at all... but that is the point).

Couple questions - Understandably you can't probably answer them all:

1. Will each player be made aware of how many points they accumulate for a win, even if it is not public?
2. Do wins that accumulate a player "town points" add into the same total points as let's say "skum points"?

My only "feedback" would be:

1. agreement with the concept that the games should run in close proximity to one and other to ensure the best chance of keeping the same player base.
2. Probably might be a good idea to run no speccy (I know that sucks), but as there will most likely need to be subs at some point, it would probably be a prudent idea to keep potential sub list at a max.

3. It may be better to keep the point system 100% secret. Or if town points are to be made public, it would for sure be better to not inform anyone of the other points awarded. I say this because the "goal" is to accumulate the most points by the end of the series, and if there are different points awarded based on alignment, then there could def be some spots in (let's say specifically game 4) where the "correct play" may be to throw the game in order to ensure your overall win. If it is kept in secret, we avoid potential situations like that, because no one will know the total points that players have that were not only town (or other option of complete ambiguity and not even town knows their own points).

Also, just a general question in freeking awe.... How the hell long did it take you to put this together man?
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 06:15:26 pm »

I'm definitely interested.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 01:49:36 am »

This seems like a great idea.  I think I'd definitely play.

Some thoughts/questions:

1. If a character is permanently removed, is the player who played them also permanently removed?  A few reasons for asking:

--if points are public, and the 2nd place player is President and the 1st place player is in the brig, kill them and take over the lead (because the player no longer is part of the game and can't win).  That seems like one of many, many political decisions that could be made that are separate from just playing mafia.  "You exiled me twice already, I'm killing you out of the game!" kind of stuff.
--if someone signs up for the long haul, but is then killed off, I guess that's sort of the same as just dying in a normal game, but with way more investment, especially if it is like game 2 or 3 and eight months into the campaign.  That seems poopy.
--If points are hidden, but winning the campaign is the goal, how does anyone know if they have a chance, what they need to do to win, etc.?  Feels like a hidden win condition that can make the game not-so-fun.

2. What is the goal as a player?  Is it to win every game?  Is it to win the overall campaign? (I'm calling the 4-game arc/set a campaign for now.). Is there just one winner for the four games?

--I guess I'm just wondering what the mindset of players should be.  If it's just to win the campaign, there could be times when it's okay to lose a game to try to win overall.  For example, I'm mafia in Game 2, and my character arc requires something that can't be done in Game 2 anymore, and all my partners are dead/brigged.  If winning the campaign is the most important thing, and my chances of winning game 2/the rewards for winning game 2 don't outweigh whatever I would get from just focusing on Game 3, then maybe I just throw the game.

3. Not only do I think it is okay to start Game 1 without the other games being finalized, I think that you must leave all future games unfinished until you see what happens in the first Game.  Partly, that's to combat the issue in #2 above, but also to just allow yourself the ability to update/fix/re-design when needed.

f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 04:06:44 am »

1. If a character is permanently removed, is the player who played them also permanently removed?
If your character dies, you will get a new one for the next game, there is no permanent player elimination planned.

2. What is the goal as a player?  Is it to win every game?  Is it to win the overall campaign? (I'm calling the 4-game arc/set a campaign for now.). Is there just one winner for the four games?
Generally people should aim to win every game. The rewards for winning a game in terms of points will usually be higher than the rewards for any other thing you might be doing. Each game will have winners determined the same way as usual for RMMs i.e. one or more factions/individuals that have their win condition satisfied at the end.

3. Not only do I think it is okay to start Game 1 without the other games being finalized, I think that you must leave all future games unfinished until you see what happens in the first Game.  Partly, that's to combat the issue in #2 above, but also to just allow yourself the ability to update/fix/re-design when needed.
This is true, but I suppose my question was more about the degree to which they would be unfinished. Do I have a more or less complete setup that just needs tweaking or rather a rough idea of where to go that I'll work out while the earlier games are in progress? it will probably be some sort of middle ground.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 08:53:58 am »

One issue is the amount of time between games. I assume it would be ideal for them to be relatively close in time to each other. Another issue is flavor, but it works both ways. It's cool to discover later that some flavor details were foreshadowing of what would come later. But it would also be cool to see the events of the previous game(s) reflected in the flavor.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 19 queries.