Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79753 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2020, 02:24:02 pm »
+2

Couldn't resist the pun.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 02:25:27 pm »
+2

Maybe this should trigger off of it having 2 or more types so it's less narrow. Minor nitpick, the color spit is upside down. The white should be above the green.
Hmm. I'm not sure that Intrigue needs cheap ways to KC a Torturer.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 02:50:21 pm »

edit: changed slightly
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 04:15:17 pm by pubby »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2020, 03:15:00 pm »

So, this ability triggers every shuffle when I discard it from play? Super fast pile-outs + gardens synergy is what I'm getting. Not sure it needs +1 Action

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure the intended effect was that it doesn't trigger on Clean-up. Definitely needs +1 Action then.

I think this is a reasonable fixed secret chamber, but storeroom is a fantastic fixed secret chamber.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2020, 05:00:40 pm »

Yeah it's not meant to work in clean-up. The +1 Action is so it can combo with shanty town, conspirator, minion, etc. I've changed it to be a feast-like effect on discard so that it doesn't drain piles so quickly.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2020, 06:34:00 pm »
+3

Heiress - $5
Action
+2 Cards
You may reveal a Victory card from your hand. If it is an...
Estate, +1 Buy, +$2.
Duchy, gain a Gold.
Province, +2 Actions.
Action card, play it.

I wanted to make something similar to Baron in that Victory cards matter, but make it relevant late game. The main power level concerns I have are the Estate level rewards and the Action level rewards. I think $4 is appropriate, but could be mistaken.

Edit: Changed to $5.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:15:36 pm by Xen3k »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2020, 06:40:09 pm »
+1

Heiress - $4
Action
+2 Cards
Estate, +1 Buy, +$2.
Duchy, gain a Gold.
Province, +2 Actions.
Action card, play it.

I wanted to make something similar to Baron in that Victory cards matter, but make it relevant late game. The main power level concerns I have are the Estate level rewards and the Action level rewards. I think $4 is appropriate, but could be mistaken.
I like it, but I think as-is it should cost $5. Also, it'd be nice to have other victory cards do something with it too, so maybe:

Estate, +1 Buy, +$2.
Province, +2 Actions.
Action card, play it.
any other victory card, gain a treasure card costing up to $1 more than it.
(...or something)

If the Estate option was weaker (maybe +1 Buy, +$1) and you discarded the Victory card instead of just revealing, then I think it'd be good at $4. But I think I like it better as-is at $5.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:51:01 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2020, 06:44:11 pm »
+1

Heiress - $4
Action
+2 Cards
Estate, +1 Buy, +$2.
Duchy, gain a Gold.
Province, +2 Actions.
Action card, play it.

I like it, but I think as-is it should cost $5.

Yeah, you are right. At $4 it compares to well against the likes of Lab and similar cards. Thanks.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2020, 11:05:11 pm »

Landscaper
Action/Victory - $3
Worth 1VP if you have more Estates than Landscapers
-
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 03:11:46 am »

Deadline for submission in 24 hours (3:30 am Forum time).

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2020, 04:42:57 am »
+3

Assessment Round 2 - Cards for the Intrigue expansion

Intrigue has 3 sub-themes: 1) Choosing something from 2 or more options, 2) Victory cards that do something, and 3) cards that do something with Victory cards. All cards submitted offer one or more of these mechanics (Chamber Pot does it indirectly, but that is fine), so I will not mention much about this criterion for the challenge. A minor point of the contest was to give your card a name that fits to its abilities and to the flavor of Intrigue. You have done that more or less successfully, although in a few cases (e.g. Farmers Guild), I wasn’t able to find the connection. Anyway, this criterion wasn’t decisive for the evaluation of any of your cards.
When I will mention “simple” in the assessments of your cards, this is meant to be a positive attribute.

Informer from LibraryAdventurer

$3 - Action
+$1.
Reveal the top four cards of your deck.
Put all victory cards and any one other
card into your hand. Put the rest back
in any order.

This is a cheap version of Scout and Patrol, with the important difference that a useful card (other than Action-Victory cards) can be put into hand a la Sage. Since it is itself terminal, it needs support if included in an Engine. On the other hand, it can keep and use a revealed Treasure, and a revealed Action card can be put back, if no further Action is available. This means that $5 can be reached pretty soon during a game. Informer allows some indirect sifting, but is like Scout still weak. A solid card with a fitting name, but the mechanic is not “breath taking”.

Farmers Guild from Jonatan Djurachkovitch

$5 - Action-Victory
Discard up to 3 victory cards from
your hand for +2 cards each.
If any of them were Action cards,
+1 Action.
----------------------------------
2 VP

This looks like a Shepard with VP tagged on it. Farmers Guild needs to discard Action-Victory cards for getting further Actions, or a Village that was played before. With a cost of $5 it is in tough competition, but is might be quite useful late in the game as it shows synergy with itself and other Action-Victory cards. Farmers Guild has relatively simple instructions, but is a bit too similar to Shepard and looks too powerful, i.e. a $5 cost card that produces 2 VP and has quite strong abilities.

Lumbermonger from spineflu

$5 - Action – Treasure
If it's your Buy phase, +$2.

Otherwise, you may gain a
card costing up to $4.

As I have said shortly after your submission, an Action – Treasure is not the best choice for a typical Intrigue card. The argument that this represents the missing combination of a dual card type is debatable (for an Intrigue card) and would only hold when the abilities of the two phases (Action and Buy) are clearly distinctive. However, mechanically Lumbermonger doesn’t need to be a hybrid card as the two choices can be put on an Action-only card just by adding +1 Action to the first choice. Even then, it seems to be weak when compared to Charm.

Fief from LordBaphomet

$5 – Action - Victory
+1 Action
+1 Card for each victory card in play.
------------------------------
1 VP

This is a guarantied cantrip (Great Hall) with the potential of being a Lab or more. For its cost likely not an opening buy, but it can be useful later in the game. It needs support (itself or other Action – Victory cards), but that is okay for a card providing VP and a high potential for becoming a strong card. It is simple in design, but for a $5 cost card, it’s use is a bit too limited even in Intrigue-only games.

Impersonator from Aquila

$5 – Action
+$1
Choose one: reveal the top 3 cards
of your deck, set aside one of the Actions,
discard the rest, then play the Action;
or replay an Action card you've played
this turn that's still in play.

This allows sifting, and then gives a choice between playing one of the revealed cards or one that is already in play. With the given wording, my understanding is that it would be able to play itself in an endless loop. Even if that was not meant to occur, it could be still done with 2 Impersonators; The name of the card is a nice choice as it fits to its abilities and to Intrigue. I feel that a modified second option would improve the card.

Golden Throne from grrgrrgrr

$5 – Action - Victory
You may play an Action card
from your hand twice. If it is
Victory card, play it another
time.
-------------------------
1 VP

A Throne Room variant with the potential for becoming really powerful. It shows some synergy with itself, but clearly requires other Action cards; so in that sense a typical Throne Room variant. It may get crazy with other Action – Victory cards, i.e. Mill and Nobles, but which Throne Room variant doesn’t do that? This looks like a typical Intrigue card that is useful in a lot of Kingdoms.

Rook from D782802859

$2 – Action
Choose one: +1 Action and
look at the top 3 cards of
your deck, discard any
number of them and put the
rest back in any order; or
+2 Cards.

Two weak options on a cheap card, which looks fine. It combines a Cartographer light and a Moat, i.e. either allows some non-terminal sifting without drawing or is terminal with limited drawing. The apparent self-synergy looks like a Rooky trap as playing two consecutive Rooks leads to the same hand size without any Action left. Without support this means drawing Treasures with a second Rook is the preferred strategy. Rook looks appropriate for a $2 cost card and has an innovative mechanic.

Chamber Pot from pubby

$3 – Action - Reaction
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards.
+$1 per card discarded.
----------------------------
When you discard this other
than during Clean-up, you
may trash it to gain a card
costing up to $6.

When played, this is a non-terminal Secret Chamber, which is quite strong. As a Reaction, it is a modified Tunnel that trashes itself for a strong card. The on-play abilities guarantee that Chamber Pot’s Reaction is always useful. Overall, it looks interesting, probably too strong, since gaining any card up to $6 is extremely flexible (Gold, Duchy, strong Action cards including Nobles), in any phase of the game and with any strategy. What I especially like is that the Reaction ability of Chamber Pot counteracts the misconception that new players often have in that the job of a Reaction is to prevent Attacks a la Moat. I would likely let it cost $4 to prevent a double-Chamber Pot opening.

Heiress from Xen3k

$5 – Action
+2 Cards
You may reveal a Victory card
from your hand. If it is an...
Estate, +1 Buy, +$2.
Duchy, gain a Gold.
Province, +2 Actions.
Action card, play it.

A Courtier for Victory cards, fitting to Intrigue but also directly competes with Courtier (cost and design-wise). The drawing ability increases the likelihood for finding a suitable target and ensures that the card is not useless when no Victory cards are in hand. Heiress is quite useful early in the game for using untrashed Estates for payload and late in the game when the density of Victory cards increases. What I like here is that it does not show self-synergy. It emphasizes Action-Victory cards, but is also useful in any Kingdom because of the presence of the basic Victory cards needed as targets.

Landscaper from NoMoreFun

Action/Victory - $3
Worth 1VP if you have
more Estates than Landscapers
------------------------------
+1 Action, +$1.
Reveal cards from your deck
until you reveal a Victory card.
Put that card into your hand
and discard the rest.

This looks like an exotic reverse Duke. It is basically a non-terminal Copper that digs for a Victory card. Just from that point of view it looks counter-productive, except when finding Action-Victory cards and thus other Landscapers. If Estates can be trashed, it easily becomes a Peddler variant sifting through the deck; and in this case I would likely ignore the VPs of Landscapers for scoring at the end of the game. If considered to be worth buying in a given Kingdom, it requires a strategic decision about what to do with the Estates. This is definitively an interesting card with a name fitting to its mechanic.
Side note: The Action and Victory instructions should be swapped.

There are several cards I like and that would fit well to the Intrigue expansion, maybe with some minor modifications, but given the relative small pool of submitted cards, I refrain from naming too many cards. The cards that I found most exciting were those that offer clever new mechanics and a new version of the "reveal something for doing something" mechanic. So, my final assessment is:

Winner: Heiress from Xen3k.
Runner ups: Landscaper from NoMoreFun and Rook from D782802859.

Thank you all for participating!

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 07:29:35 am »

Thank you to gambit05 for Judging and congrats to all the runner ups!

Contest round #3: Seaside

So, like the previous two contests the goal is to make a card that fits into the Seaside expansion mechanically and thematically. The main focus of Seaside design was to have cards that effect future turns. The big changes Seaside brought to Dominion are the Duration cards, Mats, and Tokens.

I will be judging the cards based on the above design goal of the set. New mats and tokens are welcome, but mats and tokens introduced in future sets are off-limits. I will be using Duration cards introduced in future sets as reference for design and power level evaluation, but will try to only judge it's inclusion in the set in relations to the other cards of the set.

I will try and start Judging 10/12/2020.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:53:56 pm by Xen3k »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2020, 07:52:48 am »
+4

Original Intrigue Design contest winner from 2013:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9563.0
Prefecture
Cost: $5 - Action – Victory
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.
-
Worth 2 VP.
by Fragasnap

2nd Intrigue Design contest winner from 2016:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14737.0
Royal Tutor
Cost: $5 - Action
You may play an action card from your hand. If you do so, play another action from the supply costing up to the cost of the first played card, leaving it there.
by Beyond Awesome (before Command cards were a thing)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2020, 10:49:27 am »

Here's my submission, a version of a Secret History idea.
Royal Expedition
$6 - Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, you may play an Action card from your hand twice.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2020, 02:46:11 am »

My entry:

Drawbridge
$3 - Action - Duration
+2 cards. At the start of your next turn, you may trash a card from your hand.
-
While this is in play, when another player plays an attack, its player may discard a card. If they don't, you are unaffected by the attack.

aladdinstardust

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2020, 06:18:46 pm »
+3

Port Inspector - $4 (Action - Duration)
+$2
At the start of your next turn, you may trash or gain to hand a card from your Island mat.
-
While this is in play, when you gain a card, put it on your Island mat.

Watch out! Your items are being checked at the port! If they meet the standards of our fair city, then you may have them; otherwise, they will be confiscated and destroyed. Even Smugglers get checked at this port.

A fun card that helps beat junking, while also letting your purchases always make the shuffle. Beware, however, that gaining too much at once will overwhelm the already busy Port Inspector, and he will only be able to give your items back one at a time - and he isn't always on duty! Granted, you may not actually want your victory cards at any point, in which case, the Port Inspector will keep them at the docks for later.

Also has fun interactions with Island, allowing you to reuse them, or set aside cards that you can have inspected later.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:27:57 pm by aladdinstardust »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2020, 01:09:46 am »

Shipyard

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, discard a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $5.

Action - Duration
$4

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2020, 12:19:16 pm »

Looks like one of those weird Durations that only exists for the sake of nerfing, yet at the same time it is buffed via non-terminality.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2020, 04:57:52 pm »
+3

Not really sure on the wording.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2020, 05:13:55 pm »
+1

Not really sure on the wording.

Conceptually elegant, but totally busted. +2$ +2 cards is reasonable at 5$, and this is actually better than that since you'll essentially always use +2$ now and then can't draw cards dead on the next turn.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2020, 06:09:55 pm »
+1

The missing Attack-Duration for Seaside:

Frigate
$5 - Action - Attack - Duration
Now and at start of your next turn:
+$1
Each other player discards down to 3 cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2020, 06:19:53 pm »
+1

The missing Attack-Duration for Seaside:

Frigate
$5 - Action - Attack - Duration
Now and at start of your next turn:
+$1
Each other player discards down to 3 cards.

The weird/interesting thing about this is that playing this card every turn is the exact same effect as playing a Militia every turn; but it still has to be more expensive.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2020, 03:52:54 am »
+2

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2020, 05:35:12 am »
+1

Not to be a broken record, but this is also totally busted. This card is about as strong as Wharf (albeit less mass-able) and costs 4$. The fact that the penalty occurs after discard attacks means that those are a reasonable counter, but absent a militia, discarding 2 cards isn't a serious penalty for something with this kind of an effect. You'll just buy this every game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.